Better To Rent Or To Buy Bike?

[email protected]

Nov 4, 2015
I am new to biking and I wanted your advice to see if it is better to but or rent a bike. I live in a condo and the bikes in our garage often get stolen, even if the bikes are locked. We have a local bike shop around the corner that rents bikes. The hourly rate for the bikes are between 6-7 dollars per hour. I am not an avid bike rider. I ride bikes about two times a week, for about a couple hours each time!! I would really appreciate your opinion.

We don't really have any shops round here that offer a bike renting service, well, as far as I know we don't anyway. I guess if you only ride a couple of times a week and if a bought bike is at risk of being stolen then I don't think there's any harm in going trying the service out.

A lot will depend on just how often you ride and for how long aswell though. You said a couple of times a week but if your going to be out both times for 3 or 4 hours, than at $6/7 an hour that's going to mount up pretty quickly.

I'd always go with buying a bike because I love having the feeling of owning something, you know? That and apart from holiday destinations, there is not much call for wide spread bike rental places.

I'd purchase your own bike and consider storing it in you home or making it difficult for people who want a freebie, as in get some heavy-duty chains and chain it up in a way that makes it difficult, time consuming and not worth the effort of taking it.

@pwarbi I agree with you, I feel that the cost of renting the bike will add up quickly. Normally, I ride my bike for about two hours. I think I will try out the renting service for one week and then see how I like it. We live near the beach and therefore there are a couple bike rental places near our house.

@susimi I love the idea of owning my own bike. I feel like I would be more motivated to ride often if I owned my own bike. My only concern is that of it getting stolen. I will purchase a heavy duty chain and lock system for my bike. Hopefully that will keep the thieves away from my bike.

Depends on how often you ride, if you only ride once a month then rent, but if you ride every day or twice a week even then buy. If people are stealing bikes than store the bike inside your condo. A strong chain can be compromised, so buy a good chain lock but just buy a used older bike that maybe doesn't look so good so thieves aren't attracted to it.

@Froze I cannot store the bike in my condo, because we don't have enough space. I had not even thought about purchasing a used bike. I think I might purchase a used bike and get a chain lock. Would you recommend purchasing the bike online or going into a store to purchase the bike?

I would just search Craigslist, maybe a store and maybe E-bay, but E-bay you will buy a bike for the going price plus another $75 or so for shipping, not a good idea. I would just scour Craigslist and LBS's. E-Bay is good for more expensive bikes where the cost of shipping doesn't come close to the value of the bike.

I used to rent bikes when I was a teenager. That is the fashion in our place because owning a bike is a rarity and bike rental is almost anywhere. From what I remember, I learned to be on my own with a rented bike. But that was the olden times and now it is a big advantage if you have a bike of your own particularly if you have the money to spare and you are fond of accessories. So I guess it is not a good idea to rent a bike nowadays. Buy one if you can afford it.

@pwarbi I agree with you, I feel that the cost of renting the bike will add up quickly. Normally, I ride my bike for about two hours. I think I will try out the renting service for one week and then see how I like it. We live near the beach and therefore there are a couple bike rental places near our house.

@susimi I love the idea of owning my own bike. I feel like I would be more motivated to ride often if I owned my own bike. My only concern is that of it getting stolen. I will purchase a heavy duty chain and lock system for my bike. Hopefully that will keep the thieves away from my bike.

A heavy duty chain and lock will do you wonders but do make sure you chain the bike carefully, like wrap it around the rear-wheel and frame.

Also check out some store sales on bikes. This is that time of year where you can pick up some pretty good deals if you look around.

@Froze I did not know that Ebay charged such a high shipping charge. I have been looking at craigslist, yet I do not know if it is a reliable source. I might simply have to go into a used bike store and find a reasonably price bike that does not look expensive. I might actually buy the lock and chain at the local store as well. What is LBS?

Corzhens said:
I used to rent bikes when I was a teenager. That is the fashion in our place because owning a bike is a rarity and bike rental is almost anywhere. From what I remember, I learned to be on my own with a rented bike. But that was the olden times and now it is a big advantage if you have a bike of your own particularly if you have the money to spare and you are fond of accessories. So I guess it is not a good idea to rent a bike nowadays. Buy one if you can afford it.
I learned how to ride a bike on a rented bike as well. Where I live many people still rent bikes because they do not have the space to store them or because they do not have the means to own the bike. The idea of renting the bike is appealing because there seems to be less hassles.

I can afford the bike, I just am afraid of it getting stolen from my garage. There is a high amount of bike thefts in our area. Many people steal the wheels and sometimes they steal the entire bike. I think I will rent first, and then hopefully buy a bike and lock in the near future.

Susimi said:
A heavy duty chain and lock will do you wonders but do make sure you chain the bike carefully, like wrap it around the rear-wheel and frame.

Also check out some store sales on bikes. This is that time of year where you can pick up some pretty good deals if you look around.
Thank you! I will wrap it around the rear-wheel and frame. I watched a youtube video to make sure that the bike is chained carefully and to increase the safety of my bike.

I did not know that it is a good time of year to purchase a bike. But it makes sense, because bikes are like cars. It's logical to think that both bikes and cars go on sale at the end of the year. I might not need to get a used bike, if I am able to find a reasonably price simple new bike.

@Froze I did not know that Ebay charged such a high shipping charge. I have been looking at craigslist, yet I do not know if it is a reliable source. I might simply have to go into a used bike store and find a reasonably price bike that does not look expensive. I might actually buy the lock and chain at the local store as well. What is LBS?
It's not E-Bay that charges the rate it's the owner and what they can find in cost to ship it to you. Most bikes I've seen on E-bay are shipped out between $75 to $150, I think the $150 is the seller making another $75 on the transaction.

When buying a lock, if you're going to lock up a $150 bike don't go and buy a $100 lock unless you'll be locking up a $1,000 bike. This is probably the best lock on the market for a bike that cost around $150, use the coupon code and take off 20% off the price; see: https://jet.com/product/detail/c2f7f6eac2b14051a6a0ce0e896a3c19 It's the highest rated lock plus it uses two different types of locking mechinisms.

As fas as I see it there is really no point in renting a bike unless we are spending just a few days in some location, but many times even in those cases it's cheaper to buy than to rent for the whole day.

Thinking about it, I think the only reason I'd rent a bike is if I was on holiday abroad and needed to get around, or explore that particular region by bycicle. When we go away we very rarely take our bikes with us, even if were just going away for a weekend in the same country as transportation cannbe a problem.

I guess that's why in a lot of tourist resorts your seeing this kind of service available more and more, but to rent a bike for usual every day use I don't think is a viable option for most people.

pwarbi said:
Thinking about it, I think the only reason I'd rent a bike is if I was on holiday abroad and needed to get around, or explore that particular region by bycicle. When we go away we very rarely take our bikes with us, even if were just going away for a weekend in the same country as transportation cannbe a problem.

I guess that's why in a lot of tourist resorts your seeing this kind of service available more and more, but to rent a bike for usual every day use I don't think is a viable option for most people.
This. After hearing horror stories of bikes getting smashed in airplanes or stolen at airports I would definitely rent a bike if I wanted to tour in another country.

Long term touring does bring up an interesting situation, depending on how long and how much the rental is it could be worth the money to buy either a new or used bike when you get there, then either sell it before you return or if you like the bike send it via FedEx to your home.

Reactions: pwarbi
Thank you! I will wrap it around the rear-wheel and frame. I watched a youtube video to make sure that the bike is chained carefully and to increase the safety of my bike.

I did not know that it is a good time of year to purchase a bike. But it makes sense, because bikes are like cars. It's logical to think that both bikes and cars go on sale at the end of the year. I might not need to get a used bike, if I am able to find a reasonably price simple new bike.
This is the time of year where shops get in new stock and try to sell off the old stock in sales and the like, at least that's what I know about it unless times have changed. Either way, there are some great deals to be had if you do shop around :)

I am new to biking and I wanted your advice to see if it is better to but or rent a bike. I live in a condo and the bikes in our garage often get stolen, even if the bikes are locked. We have a local bike shop around the corner that rents bikes. The hourly rate for the bikes are between 6-7 dollars per hour. I am not an avid bike rider. I ride bikes about two times a week, for about a couple hours each time!! I would really appreciate your opinion.
Well, in my opinion, if I am to be in a situation you are in, having to always be on the alert for my bike not to get stollen from my garage; adding to that the fact that you do not really cycle more than twice a week; plus having a rent place for bikes nearby, all I can say it is pretty explanatory to me. You just had your own solution in your question - Just go along and rent a bike when you want to ride it. That is what I would do.
Often there are people who rent places in town but there is no space, like a basement, or such that they can just leave there bikes in a safe area, lock both the bike and the basement. Thus, what they are left with is just the only chance they have, to rent a bike. (or just borrow a bike from a friend).
Unfortunately, for me it is not possible to rent a bike, due to the very simple fact that in my city, there are no places like that, a shop that sells and rents bikes at the same time. Usually, they only sell, so I had to buy my bike. Fortunately, though, I have a safe space to keep my bike in. :D

I'm always for buying your own bike. But if you cannot get it to your condo for safe keeping, you probably should rent one. The rent sounds a bit much because after a few hours that money could make up for a new bike. You could also try installing a tracker on your bike if you're afraid it gets stolen.

You're really in a pickle of a situation!
Even if you're not an avid bike rider, I always suggest getting your own, but since your case is a little specific I think you can be fine with renting for a while. However, if you notice this is becoming more than just a hobby and you're spending a lot of money on renting, then I suggest getting your own bike and trying stuff out to protect it. Can you leave in your apartment? I know it's not practical, but odds are it won't get stolen. Maybe leave it on the balcony if you have one? Like I said, tough situation.