Bettini upset with Quick Step, will terminate with them

ilpirata

Aug 19, 2004
The champion of the world Paul feels betrayed by Quick Step. The final straw was that they have brought in Stefan Schumacher for next year, that announcement coming earlier today.
“The first contacts I had had with them regarding renewal of contract was at the Tour of Vallonia with Lefevere - the champion states, to Claudio Ghisalberti, an envoy of the Gazzetta dello Sport to the Vuelta -. Then we spoke again at the Vuelta, last monday, and with much embarrassment he confessed to me to not having a budget at the moment, without making me any offer. He brought me to understand that I was free to contact other teams but we left with a gentlemens agreement, in order to avoid public controversies and to leave a door open for me renew with the Quick Step. Evidently all the monies that it had were destined to Schumacher. I feel offended now. I did not deserve this treatment. At this point, I exclude being able to continue my career with them. I will go my own way”.

Well, Bettini is getting older and it is obvious that Quickstep are concerned about their future riders. Bettini will not have trouble finding another team for next year.

I speculate that Bettini will go to Katusha. They got the money, and need a rider of his qualities.

LOL, I believe that the 'Livestrong' team will not focus on the classics, the WC and stage wins at the Giro. :rolleyes: