BEWARE Another Bike related ebay scam

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Chad G, Dec 17, 2003.

  1. Chad G

    Chad G Guest

    Just want to let everyone know that there is a 57cm Ti Lemond for sale on ebay. This is a bike that
    I sold last week. The current seller posted a very similar auction listing. He also used all the
    pictures that I took of the bike. In his listing he stated that the bike is being sold through
    Freewheel Cycle...the shop I work at. Beware of people like this, especially this time of year. I
    figured I would bring it to everyones attention because there are 15bids on it already.

    The auction # is 3645460915

    I hope this helps, Chad

    Tags:

  2. Q.

    Q. Guest

    "Chad G" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:BC05F8AE.A26%[email protected]...
    > Just want to let everyone know that there is a 57cm Ti Lemond for sale on ebay. This is a bike
    > that I sold last week. The current seller posted a very similar auction listing. He also used all
    > the pictures that I took
    of
    > the bike. In his listing he stated that the bike is being sold through Freewheel Cycle...the shop
    > I work at. Beware of people like this, especially this time of year. I figured I would bring it to
    > everyones attention because there are 15bids on it already.
    >
    > The auction # is 3645460915
    >
    > I hope this helps, Chad

    I really hope you contacted eBay as well ...

    C.Q.C.

  3. Harris

    Harris Guest

    In rec.bicycles.tech Chad G <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Just want to let everyone know that there is a 57cm Ti Lemond for sale on ebay. This is a bike
    > that I sold last week. The current seller posted a very similar auction listing. He also used all
    > the pictures that I took of the bike. In his listing he stated that the bike is being sold through
    > Freewheel Cycle...the shop I work at. Beware of people like this, especially this time of year. I
    > figured I would bring it to everyones attention because there are 15bids on it already.

    > The auction # is 3645460915

    Wow! How can people bid $2500 on seller with no feedback rating? I notice he includes the words
    "good luck." ;->

    Art Harris

  4. In article <BC05F8AE.A26%[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

    >Just want to let everyone know that there is a 57cm Ti Lemond for sale on ebay. This is a bike that
    >I sold last week. The current seller posted a very similar auction listing. He also used all the
    >pictures that I took of the bike. In his listing he stated that the bike is being sold through
    >Freewheel Cycle...the shop I work at. Beware of people like this, especially this time of year. I
    >figured I would bring it to everyones attention because there are 15bids on it already.
    >
    >The auction # is 3645460915

    Did you get in touch with ebay? They might kill the auction early and save someone from getting
    ripped off.
    -----------------
    Alex

  5. John Rees

    John Rees Guest

    "Chad G" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BC05F8AE.A26%[email protected]...
    | Just want to let everyone know that there is a 57cm Ti Lemond for sale on ebay. This is a bike
    | that I sold last week. The current seller posted a very similar auction listing. He also used all
    | the pictures that I took of the bike. In his listing he stated that the bike is being sold through
    | Freewheel Cycle...the shop I work at. Beware of people like this, especially this time of year. I
    | figured I would bring it to everyones attention because there are 15bids on it already.
    |
    | The auction # is 3645460915

    Another dead giveaway (if a brand new seller with no feedback isn't enough of a red flag) it's a
    private auction. There are eBay users out there who have logins like 'bewareitsascam' and bid a
    ridiculous bid on the auction to further warn away potential bidders. Making it private foils these
    guys from making it know it's a scam. There are items where a private auction is probably a good
    idea, but I see no reason why a bike auction need to be one.

    Did you ask the seller any questions? Did you get a response?

  6. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 12:12:30 -0500, Chad G <[email protected]> may
    have said:

    >Just want to let everyone know that there is a 57cm Ti Lemond for sale on ebay. This is a bike that
    >I sold last week. The current seller posted a very similar auction listing. He also used all the
    >pictures that I took of the bike. In his listing he stated that the bike is being sold through
    >Freewheel Cycle...the shop I work at. Beware of people like this, especially this time of year. I
    >figured I would bring it to everyones attention because there are 15bids on it already.
    >
    >The auction # is 3645460915
    >
    >I hope this helps, Chad

    Have you notified EBay yet? If those pictures are yours, then you have the single easiest shot at
    getting him knocked off.

    it's also possible that I'm busy.

  7. In article <[email protected]>,
    Harris <[email protected]> wrote:
    >In rec.bicycles.tech Chad G <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> Just want to let everyone know that there is a 57cm Ti Lemond for sale on ebay. This is a bike
    >> that I sold last week. The current seller posted a very similar auction listing. He also used all
    >> the pictures that I took of the bike. In his listing he stated that the bike is being sold
    >> through Freewheel Cycle...the shop I work at. Beware of people like this, especially this time of
    >> year. I figured I would bring it to everyones attention because there are 15bids on it already.
    >
    >> The auction # is 3645460915
    >
    >Wow! How can people bid $2500 on seller with no feedback rating?

    http://pages.ebay.com/help/basics/f-shilling.html

    --Paul

  8. In article <[email protected]>, rault00 @earthWEEDSlink.net says...
    > On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 12:12:30 -0500, Chad G <[email protected]> may have said:
    >
    > >Just want to let everyone know that there is a 57cm Ti Lemond for sale on ebay. This is a bike
    > >that I sold last week. The current seller posted a very similar auction listing. He also used all
    > >the pictures that I took of the bike. In his listing he stated that the bike is being sold
    > >through Freewheel Cycle...the shop I work at. Beware of people like this, especially this time of
    > >year. I figured I would bring it to everyones attention because there are 15bids on it already.
    > >
    > >The auction # is 3645460915
    > >
    > >I hope this helps, Chad
    >
    > Have you notified EBay yet? If those pictures are yours, then you have the single easiest shot at
    > getting him knocked off.
    >
    > --
    > My email address is antispammed; pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail. Yes, I have a killfile. If I
    > don't respond to something, it's also possible that I'm busy. Words processed in a facility that
    > contains nuts.

    And 15% of the time, eBay staff does the right thing so it's worth a shot.
    --
    _________________________

  9. David

    David Guest

    "Chad G" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BC05F8AE.A26%[email protected]...
    > Just want to let everyone know that there is a 57cm Ti Lemond for sale on ebay. This is a bike
    > that I sold last week. The current seller posted a very similar auction listing. He also used all
    > the pictures that I took of the bike. In his listing he stated that the bike is being sold through
    > Freewheel Cycle...the shop I work at. Beware of people like this, especially this time of year. I
    > figured I would bring it to everyones attention because there are 15bids on it already.
    >
    > The auction # is 3645460915

    Sold, for $14100. Looks a *little* high to me. What did yours sell for?

  10. Onefred

    Onefred Guest

    > Wow! How can people bid $2500 on seller with no feedback rating? I notice he includes the words
    > "good luck." ;->

    Try $10,000+. And he only accepts payments in the form of a bank transfer. I wonder what he would do
    if someone in NY won and wanted to pay in-person.

    Dave

  11. Jeff Starr

    Jeff Starr Guest

    Harris <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > In rec.bicycles.tech Chad G <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > Just want to let everyone know that there is a 57cm Ti Lemond for sale on ebay. This is a bike
    > > that I sold last week. The current seller posted a very similar auction listing. He also used
    > > all the pictures that I took of the bike. In his listing he stated that the bike is being sold
    > > through Freewheel Cycle...the shop I work at. Beware of people like this, especially this time
    > > of year. I figured I would bring it to everyones attention because there are 15bids on it
    > > already.
    >
    > > The auction # is 3645460915
    >
    > Wow! How can people bid $2500 on seller with no feedback rating? I notice he includes the words
    > "good luck." ;->
    >
    > Art Harris

    I just checked in, there was 11 minutes left and the bid was at $14,100.00. It makes no sense at
    all. Here is the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3645460915 Jeff

  12. Mark Janeba

    Mark Janeba Guest

    Harris wrote:

    > In rec.bicycles.tech Chad G <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Just want to let everyone know that there is a 57cm Ti Lemond for sale on ebay. This is a bike
    >>that I sold last week. The current seller posted a very similar auction listing. He also used all
    >>the pictures that I took of the bike. In his listing he stated that the bike is being sold through
    >>Freewheel Cycle...the shop I work at. Beware of people like this, especially this time of year. I
    >>figured I would bring it to everyones attention because there are 15bids on it already.
    >

    >>The auction # is 3645460915
    >

    > Wow! How can people bid $2500 on seller with no feedback rating? I notice he includes the words
    > "good luck." ;->
    >
    > Art Harris

    The seller "Registered Dec-12-03 in United States" - that's another giveaway.

    Mark Janeba

  13. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 17:13:54 -0800, "David"
    <[email protected]> may have said:

    >"Chad G" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BC05F8AE.A26%[email protected]...
    >> Just want to let everyone know that there is a 57cm Ti Lemond for sale on ebay. This is a bike
    >> that I sold last week. The current seller posted a very similar auction listing. He also used all
    >> the pictures that I took of the bike. In his listing he stated that the bike is being sold
    >> through Freewheel Cycle...the shop I work at. Beware of people like this, especially this time of
    >> year. I figured I would bring it to everyones attention because there are 15bids on it already.
    >>
    >> The auction # is 3645460915
    >
    >Sold, for $14100. Looks a *little* high to me. What did yours sell for?

    I suspect that the bid was intentionally made that high by a fraud blocker.

    it's also possible that I'm busy.

  14. Q.

    Q. Guest

    "onefred" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > > Wow! How can people bid $2500 on seller with no feedback rating? I
    notice
    > > he includes the words "good luck." ;->
    >
    > Try $10,000+. And he only accepts payments in the form of a bank
    transfer.
    > I wonder what he would do if someone in NY won and wanted to pay
    in-person.

    > Dave

    You're assuming these people actually live in NY ... and not Nigeria (c:

    C.Q.C.

  15. Len

    Len Guest

    "Jeff Starr" <[email protected]> wrote> I just checked in, there was 11 minutes left and the
    bid was at
    > $14,100.00. It makes no sense at all. Here is the link:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3645460915
    > Jeff
    I just did some investigating: the original poster got about $ 2400, for the bike, fair price, and
    those were indeed his photos. The thief is hoping to get over $14000, this is truly amusing. I
    suspect he will not get dirt. But, I could be wrong. In which case, the buyer has bought, a truly
    light bike. I mean people brag about 16, 17, or 18 lbs bikes, but the buyer has bought a bike, that
    cannot be weighed, it is so light. However, there may be visibility issues. Reliability could be
    sketchy, too. rotflmao. len

  16. John Rees

    John Rees Guest

    "Jeff Starr" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    | Harris <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    | > In rec.bicycles.tech Chad G <[email protected]> wrote:
    | > > Just want to let everyone know that there is a 57cm Ti
    Lemond for sale on
    | > > ebay. This is a bike that I sold last week. The current
    seller posted a
    | > > very similar auction listing. He also used all the
    pictures that I took of
    | > > the bike. In his listing he stated that the bike is
    being sold through
    | > > Freewheel Cycle...the shop I work at. Beware of people
    like this,
    | > > especially this time of year. I figured I would bring it
    to everyones
    | > > attention because there are 15bids on it already.
    | >
    | > > The auction # is 3645460915
    | >
    | > Wow! How can people bid $2500 on seller with no feedback
    rating? I notice
    | > he includes the words "good luck." ;->
    | >
    | > Art Harris
    |
    | I just checked in, there was 11 minutes left and the bid was
    at
    | $14,100.00. It makes no sense at all.

    It makes all the sense in the world to me. Someone, knowing it was a scam, posted a bid for this
    amount knowing they would never pay it. In doing so, they saved some potentially ignorant eBay
    newbie from getting fleeced. Of course, nobody is going to outbid 14k for that bike. Look at the
    bid history below. It all looked pretty normal until the post appeared on rbr. Then, very
    quickly, the bidding went over the top. The guy who bid 1,425 will probably never learn the
    favour someone did them.

    BTW, another red flag: Payment by bank transfer ONLY. caveat emptor, baby!

    $14,100.00 12-17 12:11:01 $14,000.00 12-17 16:29:58 $10,000.00 12-17 14:32:16 $6,969.00 12-17
    12:08:25 $5,000.00 12-17 08:47:50 $1,425.00 12-17 01:24:37 $1,400.00 12-16 21:47:06 $1,399.00 12-17
    01:23:20 $1,300.00 12-16 20:55:16 $1,275.00 12-16 21:46:57 $1,150.00 12-16 21:46:49 $1,100.00 12-16
    21:46:41 $1,050.00 12-16 21:46:28 $1,000.00 12-16 07:27:57 $800.00 12-15 13:36:03 $520.00 12-15
    17:16:46 $500.00 12-14 05:26:02 $300.00 12-12 19:19:12 $300.00 12-13 02:03:03 $200.00 12-13 02:02:04

  17. Velojim

    Velojim Guest

    at present the seller is not a registered user.

    "Chris Phillipo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, rault00 @earthWEEDSlink.net says...
    > > On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 12:12:30 -0500, Chad G <[email protected]> may have said:
    > >
    > > >Just want to let everyone know that there is a 57cm Ti Lemond for sale
    on
    > > >ebay. This is a bike that I sold last week. The current seller posted
    > > >very similar auction listing. He also used all the pictures that I
    took of
    > > >the bike. In his listing he stated that the bike is being sold through Freewheel Cycle...the
    > > >shop I work at. Beware of people like this, especially this time of year. I figured I would
    > > >bring it to everyones attention because there are 15bids on it already.
    > > >
    > > >The auction # is 3645460915
    > > >
    > > >I hope this helps, Chad
    > >
    > > Have you notified EBay yet? If those pictures are yours, then you have the single easiest shot
    > > at getting him knocked off.
    > >
    > > --
    > > My email address is antispammed; pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail. Yes, I have a killfile. If I
    > > don't respond to something, it's also possible that I'm busy. Words processed in a facility that
    > > contains nuts.
    > >

    > And 15% of the time, eBay staff does the right thing so it's worth a shot.
    > --
    > _________________________
    > Chris Phillipo - Cape Breton, Nova Scotia http://www.ramsays-online.com

  18. Onefred

    Onefred Guest

    > $14,100.00. It makes no sense at all.

    Who's gonna pay those closing fees? Ouch.

    LOL!

    Dave

  19. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 21:20:23 -0500, "len" <[email protected]> may
    have said:

    >"Jeff Starr" <[email protected]> wrote> I just checked in, there was 11 minutes left and the
    >bid was at
    >> $14,100.00. It makes no sense at all. Here is the link:
    >http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3645460915
    >> Jeff
    >I just did some investigating: the original poster got about $ 2400, for the bike, fair price, and
    >those were indeed his photos. The thief is hoping to get over $14000, this is truly amusing. I
    >suspect he will not get dirt. But, I could be wrong. In which case, the buyer has bought, a truly
    >light bike. I mean people brag about 16, 17, or 18 lbs bikes, but the buyer has bought a bike, that
    >cannot be weighed, it is so light. However, there may be visibility issues. Reliability could be
    >sketchy, too. rotflmao. len

    A variant on the scam under discussion may be at work here; the "seller" gets a fake bid for some
    absurd amount, and then contacts each of the bidders who were down in the more reasonable area and
    offers them the chance to buy the bike at their bid because that nasty high bidder turned out to be
    someone who was just jerking the seller around...and then the buyer is truly screwed, since it's
    taking place outside even eBay's paltry protections.

    it's also possible that I'm busy.

  20. Onefred

    Onefred Guest

    > You're assuming these people actually live in NY ... and not Nigeria (c:

    Oh, I understand. I just wanted to know what his excuse would be...

    I could see the excuse: "Well, I'm not in NY now... um... ya see..., I'm stationed in Iraq... but...
    um... I'm a Nigerian immigrant who came to NY and loved it so much that I joined the Marines to
    fight for this great country... My Nigerian bank account # is 0123456789... Don't worry, the bike is
    NEW!!!" Someone would eventually fall for it.

    I wonder what these scammer's success rate is:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3646740310

    Dave