BEWARE Another Bike related ebay scam

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chad G

Just want to let everyone know that there is a 57cm Ti Lemond for sale on ebay. This is a bike that
I sold last week. The current seller posted a very similar auction listing. He also used all the
pictures that I took of the bike. In his listing he stated that the bike is being sold through
Freewheel Cycle...the shop I work at. Beware of people like this, especially this time of year. I
figured I would bring it to everyones attention because there are 15bids on it already.

The auction # is 3645460915

I hope this helps, Chad

"Chad G" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:BC05F8AE.A26%[email protected]...
> Just want to let everyone know that there is a 57cm Ti Lemond for sale on ebay. This is a bike
> that I sold last week. The current seller posted a very similar auction listing. He also used all
> the pictures that I took
of
> the bike. In his listing he stated that the bike is being sold through Freewheel Cycle...the shop
> I work at. Beware of people like this, especially this time of year. I figured I would bring it to
> everyones attention because there are 15bids on it already.
>
> The auction # is 3645460915
>
> I hope this helps, Chad

I really hope you contacted eBay as well ...

C.Q.C.

In rec.bicycles.tech Chad G <[email protected]> wrote:
> Just want to let everyone know that there is a 57cm Ti Lemond for sale on ebay. This is a bike
> that I sold last week. The current seller posted a very similar auction listing. He also used all
> the pictures that I took of the bike. In his listing he stated that the bike is being sold through
> Freewheel Cycle...the shop I work at. Beware of people like this, especially this time of year. I
> figured I would bring it to everyones attention because there are 15bids on it already.

Wow! How can people bid $2500 on seller with no feedback rating? I notice he includes the words
"good luck." ;->

Art Harris

In article <BC05F8AE.A26%[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
>
>
>Just want to let everyone know that there is a 57cm Ti Lemond for sale on ebay. This is a bike that
>I sold last week. The current seller posted a very similar auction listing. He also used all the
>pictures that I took of the bike. In his listing he stated that the bike is being sold through
>Freewheel Cycle...the shop I work at. Beware of people like this, especially this time of year. I
>figured I would bring it to everyones attention because there are 15bids on it already.
>
>The auction # is 3645460915

Did you get in touch with ebay? They might kill the auction early and save someone from getting
ripped off.
-----------------
Alex

"Chad G" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BC05F8AE.A26%[email protected]...
| Just want to let everyone know that there is a 57cm Ti Lemond for sale on ebay. This is a bike
| that I sold last week. The current seller posted a very similar auction listing. He also used all
| the pictures that I took of the bike. In his listing he stated that the bike is being sold through
| Freewheel Cycle...the shop I work at. Beware of people like this, especially this time of year. I
| figured I would bring it to everyones attention because there are 15bids on it already.
|
| The auction # is 3645460915

Another dead giveaway (if a brand new seller with no feedback isn't enough of a red flag) it's a
private auction. There are eBay users out there who have logins like 'bewareitsascam' and bid a
ridiculous bid on the auction to further warn away potential bidders. Making it private foils these
guys from making it know it's a scam. There are items where a private auction is probably a good
idea, but I see no reason why a bike auction need to be one.

Did you ask the seller any questions? Did you get a response?

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 12:12:30 -0500, Chad G <[email protected]> may
have said:

>Just want to let everyone know that there is a 57cm Ti Lemond for sale on ebay. This is a bike that
>I sold last week. The current seller posted a very similar auction listing. He also used all the
>pictures that I took of the bike. In his listing he stated that the bike is being sold through
>Freewheel Cycle...the shop I work at. Beware of people like this, especially this time of year. I
>figured I would bring it to everyones attention because there are 15bids on it already.
>
>The auction # is 3645460915
>
>I hope this helps, Chad

Have you notified EBay yet? If those pictures are yours, then you have the single easiest shot at
getting him knocked off.

--
My email address is antispammed; pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail.
Yes, I have a killfile. If I don't respond to something,
it's also possible that I'm busy.
Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.

In article <[email protected]>,
Harris <[email protected]> wrote:
>In rec.bicycles.tech Chad G <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Just want to let everyone know that there is a 57cm Ti Lemond for sale on ebay. This is a bike
>> that I sold last week. The current seller posted a very similar auction listing. He also used all
>> the pictures that I took of the bike. In his listing he stated that the bike is being sold
>> through Freewheel Cycle...the shop I work at. Beware of people like this, especially this time of
>> year. I figured I would bring it to everyones attention because there are 15bids on it already.
>
>> The auction # is 3645460915
>
>Wow! How can people bid $2500 on seller with no feedback rating?

http://pages.ebay.com/help/basics/f-shilling.html

--Paul

In article <[email protected]>, rault00 @earthWEEDSlink.net says...
> On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 12:12:30 -0500, Chad G <[email protected]> may have said:
>
> >Just want to let everyone know that there is a 57cm Ti Lemond for sale on ebay. This is a bike
> >that I sold last week. The current seller posted a very similar auction listing. He also used all
> >the pictures that I took of the bike. In his listing he stated that the bike is being sold
> >through Freewheel Cycle...the shop I work at. Beware of people like this, especially this time of
> >year. I figured I would bring it to everyones attention because there are 15bids on it already.
> >
> >The auction # is 3645460915
> >
> >I hope this helps, Chad
>
> Have you notified EBay yet? If those pictures are yours, then you have the single easiest shot at
> getting him knocked off.
>
> --
> My email address is antispammed; pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail. Yes, I have a killfile. If I
> don't respond to something, it's also possible that I'm busy. Words processed in a facility that
> contains nuts.
>

And 15% of the time, eBay staff does the right thing so it's worth a shot.
--

"Chad G" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BC05F8AE.A26%[email protected]...
> the pictures that I took of the bike. In his listing he stated that the bike is being sold through
> Freewheel Cycle...the shop I work at. Beware of people like this, especially this time of year. I
> figured I would bring it to everyones attention because there are 15bids on it already.
>

Sold, for $14100. Looks a *little* high to me. What did yours sell for?

> Wow! How can people bid $2500 on seller with no feedback rating? I notice he includes the words
> "good luck." ;->

Try $10,000+. And he only accepts payments in the form of a bank transfer. I wonder what he would do
if someone in NY won and wanted to pay in-person.

Dave

Harris <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> In rec.bicycles.tech Chad G <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Just want to let everyone know that there is a 57cm Ti Lemond for sale on ebay. This is a bike
> > that I sold last week. The current seller posted a very similar auction listing. He also used
> > all the pictures that I took of the bike. In his listing he stated that the bike is being sold
> > through Freewheel Cycle...the shop I work at. Beware of people like this, especially this time
> > of year. I figured I would bring it to everyones attention because there are 15bids on it
> > already.
>
> > The auction # is 3645460915
>
> Wow! How can people bid $2500 on seller with no feedback rating? I notice he includes the words
> "good luck." ;->
>
> Art Harris

I just checked in, there was 11 minutes left and the bid was at $14,100.00. It makes no sense at
all. Here is the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3645460915 Jeff

Harris wrote:

> In rec.bicycles.tech Chad G <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Just want to let everyone know that there is a 57cm Ti Lemond for sale on ebay. This is a bike
>>that I sold last week. The current seller posted a very similar auction listing. He also used all
>>the pictures that I took of the bike. In his listing he stated that the bike is being sold through
>>Freewheel Cycle...the shop I work at. Beware of people like this, especially this time of year. I
>>figured I would bring it to everyones attention because there are 15bids on it already.
>
>
>>The auction # is 3645460915
>
>
> "good luck." ;->
>
> Art Harris

The seller "Registered Dec-12-03 in United States" - that's another giveaway.

Mark Janeba

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 17:13:54 -0800, "David"
<[email protected]> may have said:

>
>"Chad G" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BC05F8AE.A26%[email protected]...
>> Just want to let everyone know that there is a 57cm Ti Lemond for sale on ebay. This is a bike
>> that I sold last week. The current seller posted a very similar auction listing. He also used all
>> the pictures that I took of the bike. In his listing he stated that the bike is being sold
>> through Freewheel Cycle...the shop I work at. Beware of people like this, especially this time of
>> year. I figured I would bring it to everyones attention because there are 15bids on it already.
>>
>> The auction # is 3645460915
>
>Sold, for $14100. Looks a *little* high to me. What did yours sell for?

I suspect that the bid was intentionally made that high by a fraud blocker.

--

"onefred" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > Wow! How can people bid $2500 on seller with no feedback rating? I
notice
> > he includes the words "good luck." ;->
>
> Try $10,000+. And he only accepts payments in the form of a bank
transfer.
> I wonder what he would do if someone in NY won and wanted to pay
in-person.
>
> Dave

You're assuming these people actually live in NY ... and not Nigeria (c:

C.Q.C.

"Jeff Starr" <[email protected]> wrote> I just checked in, there was 11 minutes left and the
bid was at
> $14,100.00. It makes no sense at all. Here is the link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3645460915
> Jeff
I just did some investigating: the original poster got about $ 2400, for the bike, fair price, and
those were indeed his photos. The thief is hoping to get over $14000, this is truly amusing. I
suspect he will not get dirt. But, I could be wrong. In which case, the buyer has bought, a truly
light bike. I mean people brag about 16, 17, or 18 lbs bikes, but the buyer has bought a bike, that
cannot be weighed, it is so light. However, there may be visibility issues. Reliability could be
sketchy, too. rotflmao. len

"Jeff Starr" <[email protected]> wrote in message
| Harris <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
| > In rec.bicycles.tech Chad G <[email protected]> wrote:
| > > Just want to let everyone know that there is a 57cm Ti
Lemond for sale on
| > > ebay. This is a bike that I sold last week. The current
seller posted a
| > > very similar auction listing. He also used all the
pictures that I took of
| > > the bike. In his listing he stated that the bike is
being sold through
| > > Freewheel Cycle...the shop I work at. Beware of people
like this,
| > > especially this time of year. I figured I would bring it
to everyones
| > > attention because there are 15bids on it already.
| >
| > > The auction # is 3645460915
| >
| > Wow! How can people bid $2500 on seller with no feedback
rating? I notice
| > he includes the words "good luck." ;->
| >
| > Art Harris
|
| I just checked in, there was 11 minutes left and the bid was
at
| $14,100.00. It makes no sense at all.

It makes all the sense in the world to me. Someone, knowing it was a scam, posted a bid for this
amount knowing they would never pay it. In doing so, they saved some potentially ignorant eBay
newbie from getting fleeced. Of course, nobody is going to outbid 14k for that bike. Look at the
bid history below. It all looked pretty normal until the post appeared on rbr. Then, very
quickly, the bidding went over the top. The guy who bid 1,425 will probably never learn the
favour someone did them.

BTW, another red flag: Payment by bank transfer ONLY. caveat emptor, baby!

$14,100.00 12-17 12:11:01 $14,000.00 12-17 16:29:58 $10,000.00 12-17 14:32:16 $6,969.00 12-17
12:08:25 $5,000.00 12-17 08:47:50 $1,425.00 12-17 01:24:37 $1,400.00 12-16 21:47:06 $1,399.00 12-17
01:23:20 $1,300.00 12-16 20:55:16 $1,275.00 12-16 21:46:57 $1,150.00 12-16 21:46:49 $1,100.00 12-16
21:46:41 $1,050.00 12-16 21:46:28 $1,000.00 12-16 07:27:57 $800.00 12-15 13:36:03 $520.00 12-15
17:16:46 $500.00 12-14 05:26:02 $300.00 12-12 19:19:12 $300.00 12-13 02:03:03 $200.00 12-13 02:02:04

at present the seller is not a registered user.

"Chris Phillipo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> In article <[email protected]>, rault00 @earthWEEDSlink.net says...
> > On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 12:12:30 -0500, Chad G <[email protected]> may have said:
> >
> > >Just want to let everyone know that there is a 57cm Ti Lemond for sale
on
> > >ebay. This is a bike that I sold last week. The current seller posted
a
> > >very similar auction listing. He also used all the pictures that I
took of
> > >the bike. In his listing he stated that the bike is being sold through Freewheel Cycle...the
> > >shop I work at. Beware of people like this, especially this time of year. I figured I would
> > >bring it to everyones attention because there are 15bids on it already.
> > >
> > >The auction # is 3645460915
> > >
> > >I hope this helps, Chad
> >
> > Have you notified EBay yet? If those pictures are yours, then you have the single easiest shot
> > at getting him knocked off.
> >
> > --
> > My email address is antispammed; pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail. Yes, I have a killfile. If I
> > don't respond to something, it's also possible that I'm busy. Words processed in a facility that
> > contains nuts.
> >
>
> And 15% of the time, eBay staff does the right thing so it's worth a shot.
> --
> _________________________
> Chris Phillipo - Cape Breton, Nova Scotia http://www.ramsays-online.com

> $14,100.00. It makes no sense at all.

Who's gonna pay those closing fees? Ouch.

LOL!

Dave

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 21:20:23 -0500, "len" <[email protected]> may
have said:

>
>"Jeff Starr" <[email protected]> wrote> I just checked in, there was 11 minutes left and the
>bid was at
>> $14,100.00. It makes no sense at all. Here is the link:
>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3645460915
>> Jeff
>I just did some investigating: the original poster got about $ 2400, for the bike, fair price, and
>those were indeed his photos. The thief is hoping to get over $14000, this is truly amusing. I
>suspect he will not get dirt. But, I could be wrong. In which case, the buyer has bought, a truly
>light bike. I mean people brag about 16, 17, or 18 lbs bikes, but the buyer has bought a bike, that
>cannot be weighed, it is so light. However, there may be visibility issues. Reliability could be
>sketchy, too. rotflmao. len

A variant on the scam under discussion may be at work here; the "seller" gets a fake bid for some
absurd amount, and then contacts each of the bidders who were down in the more reasonable area and
offers them the chance to buy the bike at their bid because that nasty high bidder turned out to be
someone who was just jerking the seller around...and then the buyer is truly screwed, since it's
taking place outside even eBay's paltry protections.

--

> You're assuming these people actually live in NY ... and not Nigeria (c:

Oh, I understand. I just wanted to know what his excuse would be...

I could see the excuse: "Well, I'm not in NY now... um... ya see..., I'm stationed in Iraq... but...
um... I'm a Nigerian immigrant who came to NY and loved it so much that I joined the Marines to
fight for this great country... My Nigerian bank account # is 0123456789... Don't worry, the bike is
NEW!!!" Someone would eventually fall for it.

I wonder what these scammer's success rate is:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3646740310

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.