BEWARE Another Bike related ebay scam

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 10:19:11 -0500, Chad G <[email protected]> may
have said:

>I posted the original warning about the fake auction. As soon as I saw it on Ebay I contacted the
>seller. He was quick to reply and his response was very polite. From the original email I realized
>he knew absolutely nothing about the bike he was selling. My first reaction to the auction was that
>he probably had the same bike but didn't have photos and decided to use mine (which doesn't bother
>me). Then I saw that he was using my place of employment as the shop that is selling the bike. I
>found that irritating. Then I posted to the newsgroups and ebay about the peculiarities of the
>auction. At risk of getting negative feedback I decided to bid on the bike and win it. Literally 1
>minute after the auction ended he emailed me some amusing threats. Funny enough, he keeps emailing
>me. The last message stated that he's going to steal my user ID and then steal everything
>associated with it. Whether or not he can do it, I don't know. I'm not too computer savvy. I am a
>bit concerned for my credit info and paypal stuff etc... But from the behaviour of the guy, I think
>he's just a dishonest teenager having some "fun" (I hope).

Probably not a teenager.

There are a number of professional thieves and frauds who have been operating via eBay. It would be
appropriate, at this point, to contact your provincial police and to forward the information in your
possession to them.

The fact that eBay has removed the user's ID from active status is a strong indicator that they also
found reason to question the sale's validity. The chances are good that the perp will pop up again
with yet another fake or stolen eBay ID.

BTW, stolen eBay IDs happen primarily when a foolish eBay user receives a fraudulent email stating
that they need to log into a suipplied URL to verify some part of their eBay information, and in the
process, their ID and password is collected. (This probably accounts for 90% of the stolen eBay
IDs.) There are other methods, though, and given the recent revelations about the lack of security
in Internet Explorer, it's probably wise to use some other browser unless Microsoft finally decides
to get serious about taking the idiotic security-eliminating bells and whistles back out of IE.

it's also possible that I'm busy.

"meb" wrote:

> OP never said the reseller doesn't have the bike the OP sold, he identified the photos as his and
> identified the bike shop listed is where he is employed (I thought it reasonable infer that since
> OP was employed at the bike shop, he would be in a position to know of an improperly advertised
> association and was making that accusation).

The OP *did* say that at the very least, the seller had not bought the bike he had sold.

He said : "My first reaction to the auction was that he probably had the same bike but didn't have
photos and decided to use mine (which doesn't bother me)."

The OP goes on to describe the response he got from the seller: "From the original email I realized
he knew absolutely nothing about the bike he was selling."

The fact that it was a private auction, the fact that the seller claims to be in NY but is selling
through an LBS in Ontario, and the fact that he has no feedback should set off alarm bells. The fact
that he is no longer a registered eBay user is the clincher.

If that makes me "awfully cynical" so be it.

Art Harris

These scams are all over the place. A friend found a personal water craft at "such a deal" on Ebay.
He contacted the seller and said he'd pay the "buy it now" price, pay in cash and come pick it up
from the seller's, meeting place of choice.

Well, the seller had more excuses as to why that could not happen. My friend quit the deal. Three
days later the same PWC was on Ebay again, different seller ID and this time the seller was located
in Italy, instead of Atlanta,GA...

--

Tp

-------- __o
----- -\<. ------ __o
--- ( ) / ( ) ---- -\<.
----------------- ( ) / ( )

Freedom is not free; Free men are not equal; Equal men are not free.

Art Harris wrote:
>The OP *did* say that at the very least, the seller had not bought the bike he had sold.

>He said : "My first reaction to the auction was that he probably had the same bike but didn't have
>photos and decided to use mine (which doesn't bother me)."

>The OP goes on to describe the response he got from the seller: "From the original email I realized
>he knew absolutely nothing about the bike he was selling."

Not inconsistent with original post that it was a bike the OP sold previously. Many people own bikes without understanding them. Half the people out there don’t even known the displacement of their own car engine. If you took a survey on many bike paths, you’d probably find most people on bike don’t know what a bottom bracket or a chain stay are.

>The fact that it was a private auction, the fact that the seller claims to be in NY but is selling
>through an LBS in Ontario, and the fact that he has no feedback should set off alarm bells. The fact
>that he is no longer a registered Ebay user is the clincher.

The misrepresented bike shop affiliation ought be enough to kick him off Ebay independent of whether he had possession of the bike.

The private auction is an alarm, but not a very specific one. If selling items via private auction on Ebay constituted evidence a seller didn’t posses the item he was trying to sell, I’d speculate Ebay would discontinue the practice. Could be the seller found it easier to conceal shill bids elevating the sale price with a private auction.

As for the absence of feedback, how much feedback you would expect from a first time Ebay seller? Are you insinuating most first time Ebay sellers lacking feedback histories lack the product they are selling? Every seller has to start sometime.

That post doesn’t show the lack of possession/authorization on the part of the (re)seller.

Kevin’s link shows a lot permutations as to what may be going on, some of which included persons receiving their products as part of identity theft and bank fraud transactions. A lot of other possibilities have been posted by others as well. It would be a lot easier to quickly be detected and get prosecuted or sued for not delivering the goods he didn’t posses than getting an elevated price through the fraudulent misrepresentation of a bike shop sale.

This thread has split into at least 2 threads (probably from a cross post or a subject line modification) making it harder to track all the posts. If someone knows where it was stated by Chad that the seller does not have the bike, could they identify the post and thread? I’ve yet to locate any such statement by Chad.

It would be easy for Chad to clarify this issue if he has contacted the purchaser he sold/delivered the bike to and confirmed purchaser still owns the bike and the bike has not been sold or attempted to be resold since bought from Chad.

more cannondale scams
Item number: 3650286010
Item number: 3650265868
Item number: 3650285975
Item number: 3650265897

these were up last week and pulled... and now are back again.

charlie

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 16:22:24 GMT, TomP <[email protected]> wrote:

>These scams are all over the place. A friend found a personal water craft at "such a deal" on Ebay.
>He contacted the seller and said he'd pay the "buy it now" price, pay in cash and come pick it up
>from the seller's, meeting place of choice.
>
>Well, the seller had more excuses as to why that could not happen. My friend quit the deal. Three
>days later the same PWC was on Ebay again, different seller ID and this time the seller was located
>in Italy, instead of Atlanta,GA...
>
>Chad G wrote:
>
>> Just want to let everyone know that there is a 57cm Ti Lemond for sale on ebay. This is a bike
>> that I sold last week. The current seller posted a very similar auction listing. He also used all
>> the pictures that I took of the bike. In his listing he stated that the bike is being sold
>> through Freewheel Cycle...the shop I work at. Beware of people like this, especially this time of
>> year. I figured I would bring it to everyones attention because there are 15bids on it already.
>>
>> The auction # is 3645460915
>>
>> I hope this helps, Chad

Check around and you will find out allot about this guy. He has been doing this for quite a while,
and he seems to be really successful at it. It always amazes me everytime I see him at it again. Got
to the trader feedback forum on MTBR.com for a history about this.

"John Rees" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Edward Dike, III" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:J%[email protected]...
> |
> | "Alex Rodriguez" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> | news:[email protected]...
> | | In article
> <[email protected]>,
> | [email protected]
> | | says...
> | |
> caveat
> | | >
> | | Seller is also no longer an ebay member. Another red flag.
> | | -----------
> | | Alex
> | |

> | Apparently the, oft maligned, do nothing behemoth, eBay...
> did something.
> | ED3
>
> And yet, eBay still decided to send me an email telling me how much they were sorry I didn't win
> the auction:

> ITEM NOT WON - SIMILAR ITEMS FOUND
> Dear ********,Unfortunately, your bid did not win the following item from gabri3l5: Item name:
> Lemond Tete de Course Titanium Dura Ace - New Item number: 3645460915 Final price: $14,100.00 Your
> maximum bid: $6,969.00 End date: Dec-17-03 17:10 PST
>

> Here are some other items on eBay you might be interested in:

> MORE FROM THIS SELLER
> View Seller's other items for sale at

> SIMILAR ITEMS FOUND ON EBAY
> Item name: 2002 Lemond Tete de Course Titanium Bicycle Price: $860.00 Bids: 8 End date: Dec-21-03
> 21:00 PST ...

re: Scam! Ripoff! Outrage!

Seems to be some confusion about Ebay.

1. You are not participating in an auction when you use Ebay - period.
2. Descriptions frequently omit or "badly" describe product details.
3. Use of someone else's pics for an identical item is very common.
4. Buyers and sellers do have mechanisms for recourse in the event of outright fraud.

Chad G <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<BC05F8AE.A26%[email protected]>...
> Just want to let everyone know that there is a 57cm Ti Lemond for sale on ebay. This is a bike
> that I sold last week.

1. Winning bidder has zero feedback;

2. Neither you nor the seller have given each other any feedback;

3. The transaction was over a month ago.

What's up with this scenario?

Probably not a scam. GURU is a Quebec company and the seller is listed as a Quebec, Canada resident.
Besides would you try to scam someone with a picture of a bike with no chain? Most of the scam
auctions have stock/catalogue pictures since the "seller" doesn't really have any stock. Quebec
residents are not that familiar (except for JayofMontreal) with eBay and this seller may not realize
what that negative does for his reputation. (My steriotyping Quebec residents and eBay are made from
observations).

Cheers Peter Montreal, Quebec, Canada

"Cathy Boland" <cboland@_DONTSPAMME_mindspring.com> wrote in message
news:u%[email protected]...
> The seller has only one feedback and it is negative.
>

> "Ilambert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Hi.Could you tell us what tips you off to the scam in that ad?It does
seem
> > like a good price. "JB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > Hmm, wonder about this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3650755873&category=7298

Ya,that seems like it makes sense.Thanks
"Cathy Boland" <cboland@_DONTSPAMME_mindspring.com> wrote in message
news:u%[email protected]...
> The seller has only one feedback and it is negative.
>

> "Ilambert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Hi.Could you tell us what tips you off to the scam in that ad?It does
seem
> > like a good price. "JB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > Hmm, wonder about this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3650755873&category=7298

> Probably not a scam. GURU is a Quebec company and the seller is listed as a Quebec, Canada
> resident. Besides would you try to scam someone with a picture of a bike with no chain? Most of
> the scam auctions have stock/catalogue pictures since the "seller" doesn't really have any stock.
> Quebec residents are not that familiar (except for JayofMontreal) with eBay and this seller may
> not realize what that negative does for his reputation. (My steriotyping Quebec residents and eBay
> are made from observations).
>
> Cheers Peter

Did you read what his negative feedback rating was for? Non-delivery of a bicycle. May not be a scam
but it doesn't sound like someone I'd do business with.

Rob Strickland

Hello Peter (fellow Montrealer) -- Cold enough for ya?

Remember when we use to have a track here? (sniff...)

I think you're right, that not a lot of Canadians (Quebecers included (oh!)) are aware of Ebay,
sounds like the guy perhaps auctioned off something in the past, and not understanding that if no
one bid to a price he liked, he had to sell it at the price it garnered.

I think anyone buying bike parts in Canada at the retail level needs their head examined. As an
example, I built an Eddy Merckx MXM carbon bike this year, complete DA10, sweet wheels, everything
the top-end-****!. I built it for about 60% of the US list price (which almost anyone with a little
knowhow can do). The price for the bike here, in Canadian $$$ worked out to more than 200% of what I
paid, additionally, slap another 15% in taxes onto that.

One of the biggest problems in Canada is that the retailers are buying from the US distributors, and
paying top dollar, in some cases the Canadian cost price on an item is the price that you can pay
directly in the USA.

Jay Freezing my butt at -27C

FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM! Download Spam Inspector, the Award Winning Anti-Spam Filter
http://mail.giantcompany.com

"peter" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Probably not a scam. GURU is a Quebec company and the seller is listed as
> Quebec, Canada resident. Besides would you try to scam someone with a picture of a bike with no
> chain? Most of the scam auctions have stock/catalogue pictures since the "seller" doesn't really
> have any stock. Quebec residents are not that familiar (except for JayofMontreal) with
eBay
> and this seller may not realize what that negative does for his
reputation.
> (My steriotyping Quebec residents and eBay are made from observations).
>
> Cheers Peter Montreal, Quebec, Canada
>
> "Cathy Boland" <cboland@_DONTSPAMME_mindspring.com> wrote in message
> news:u%[email protected]...
> > The seller has only one feedback and it is negative.
> >

> > "Ilambert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > Hi.Could you tell us what tips you off to the scam in that ad?It does
> seem
> > > like a good price. "JB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3650755873&category=7298

---