BEWARE Another Bike related ebay scam

"Edward Dike, III" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:J%[email protected]...

| "Alex Rodriguez" <[email protected]> wrote in message
| news:[email protected]...
| | In article
<[email protected]>,
| [email protected]
| | says...
| |
| | >BTW, another red flag: Payment by bank transfer ONLY.
caveat
| | >emptor, baby!
| | >
| | Seller is also no longer an ebay member. Another red flag.
| | -----------
| | Alex
| |

| Apparently the, oft maligned, do nothing behemoth, eBay...
did something.
| ED3

And yet, eBay still decided to send me an email telling me how much they were sorry I didn't win
the auction:

ITEM NOT WON - SIMILAR ITEMS FOUND
Dear ********,Unfortunately, your bid did not win the following
item from gabri3l5:
Item name: Lemond Tete de Course Titanium Dura
Ace - New
Item number: 3645460915
Final price: $14,100.00
Your maximum bid: $6,969.00
End date: Dec-17-03 17:10 PST

Here are some other items on eBay you might be interested in:

MORE FROM THIS SELLER
View Seller's other items for sale at

SIMILAR ITEMS FOUND ON EBAY
Item name: 2002 Lemond Tete de Course Titanium
Bicycle
Price: $860.00
Bids: 8
End date: Dec-21-03 21:00 PST

Seems like this guy is back again selling another 57 Lemond Tete de Course, auction # 3647004827.
This one is pretty good, this supposedly has custom paint but there are no pictures of the "custom
paint". He also states to "Check my feedback and bid w/ confidence" and his feedback is zero!

He is located in UK, but registered in Canada on 18 Dec 03 -- so where does he really live? Finally,
personal checks or wire transfer are his only methods of payment.

So what do you think? Sounds a little suspect to me. -Keith

"Chad G" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BC05F8AE.A26%[email protected]...
> Just want to let everyone know that there is a 57cm Ti Lemond for sale on ebay. This is a bike
> that I sold last week. The current seller posted a very similar auction listing. He also used all
> the pictures that I took
of

"meb" wrote:

> The phony bidders have themselves engaged in fraudulent activity and could be expelled from Ebay;

> Seems these phony buyers are taking a mighty big risk themselves in their efforts to block an
> alleged fraud.

Agree.

> BTW: Several persons on this thread have misconstrued the resellers use of the photos as a fraud.
> Since this is the same bike, there is no fraud regarding the photos.

How do we know this guy even bought the bike in the first auction? He could have just stolen the
photos and put up his own fake auction. If it is indeed a scam, he doesn't need to have the actual
bike in his possession.

Art Harris

meb <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> The only apparent fraud on the part of the reseller appears to be the misrepresented association
> with the bike shop.

Unless I've misunderstood the whole situation the fraud is that the "reseller" is not reselling the
original bike, but that he is selling a bike he does not have.

--
Dave...

Run away,run away!
"D. Keith Arbuckle" <dkarbuckle-don'[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
> Seems like this guy is back again selling another 57 Lemond Tete de Course, auction # 3647004827.
> This one is pretty good, this supposedly
has
> custom paint but there are no pictures of the "custom paint". He also states to "Check my feedback
> and bid w/ confidence" and his feedback is zero!
>
> He is located in UK, but registered in Canada on 18 Dec 03 -- so where
does
> he really live? Finally, personal checks or wire transfer are his only methods of payment.
>
> So what do you think? Sounds a little suspect to me. -Keith
>

> "Chad G" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BC05F8AE.A26%[email protected]...
> > Just want to let everyone know that there is a 57cm Ti Lemond for sale
on
> > ebay. This is a bike that I sold last week. The current seller posted
> > very similar auction listing. He also used all the pictures that I took
> of
> > the bike. In his listing he stated that the bike is being sold through Freewheel Cycle...the
> > shop I work at. Beware of people like this, especially this time of year. I figured I would
> > bring it to everyones attention because there are 15bids on it already.
> >
> > The auction # is 3645460915
> >
> > I hope this helps, Chad

"D. Keith Arbuckle" <dkarbuckle-don'[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
| Seems like this guy is back again selling another 57 Lemond Tete de Course, auction # 3647004827.
| This one is pretty good, this supposedly has custom paint but there are no pictures of the "custom
| paint". He also states to "Check my feedback and bid w/ confidence" and his feedback is zero!
|
| He is located in UK, but registered in Canada on 18 Dec 03 -- so where does he really live?
| Finally, personal checks or wire transfer are his only methods of payment.
|
| So what do you think? Sounds a little suspect to me.

Well, it looks like scam artists abound with Canada registered ebay logins. Look at the bikes on
offer from this seller. Brand new id and quite a collection of bikes. http://search-
desc.ebay.com/ws/search/SaleSearch?satitle=bike&sotextsearched=2&saseller=116643637

For example, here is a Cannondale Scalpel offered by what appears to be a legitimate seller, and is
for a worthy charity.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3645818723

Here is mr sleaze bucket auction Does the picture look familure?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3647007933

In article <[email protected]>, dkarbuckle-don't-need-this-
[email protected] says...
>Seems like this guy is back again selling another 57 Lemond Tete de Course, auction # 3647004827.
>This one is pretty good, this supposedly has custom paint but there are no pictures of the "custom
>paint". He also states to "Check my feedback and bid w/ confidence" and his feedback is zero! He is
>located in UK, but registered in Canada on 18 Dec 03 -- so where does he really live? Finally,
>personal checks or wire transfer are his only methods of payment. So what do you think? Sounds a
>little suspect to me.

Ask where the bike is located. Then ask if you can inspect the bike in person.
--------------
Alex

[email protected] (chris) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Who would pay $14,000 for a Lemond?
>
> Winning bid: US $14,100.00 (Reserve met)
>
> "Edward Dike, III" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > "Chad G" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BC05F8AE.A26%[email protected]...

snip

> > | I hope this helps, Chad
> >

> > Where did you transact the sale for the bike you ".... sold last week..." eBay?... What's the
> > auction #?
> >

> > ED3

Sorry all I'm poasting through Google and am not yet used to how this threads..

This is probably just another version of the re-mailer scam... the guy that bought the bike from the
OP is probably not the guy posting this auction.

the scam runs basically like this

the scammer sets up people to act as re-mailers... often through "earn money from home" style ads
... the people who take these jobs are told that they will be receiving items and re-posting
them/and or receiving payments and transferring them. (the shipping recieving department is swamped
don't cha know) most often overseas or to another "cutout" ...

then the scammer posts auctions.. sometimes just cutting and pasting an older auction. he or she
also bids on items.

Payments are never made in winning auctions and items are never received by winning bidders, and the
simple schmuck who took the re-mailer job is on the hook ... some of them have lost large cash
because they are responsible to the banks for the transfers they originate..

I posted the original warning about the fake auction. As soon as I saw it on Ebay I contacted the
seller. He was quick to reply and his response was very polite. From the original email I realized
he knew absolutely nothing about the bike he was selling. My first reaction to the auction was that
he probably had the same bike but didn't have photos and decided to use mine (which doesn't bother
me). Then I saw that he was using my place of employment as the shop that is selling the bike. I
found that irritating. Then I posted to the newsgroups and ebay about the peculiarities of the
auction. At risk of getting negative feedback I decided to bid on the bike and win it. Literally 1
minute after the auction ended he emailed me some amusing threats. Funny enough, he keeps emailing
me. The last message stated that he's going to steal my user ID and then steal everything associated
with it. Whether or not he can do it, I don't know. I'm not too computer savvy. I am a bit concerned
for my credit info and paypal stuff etc... But from the behaviour of the guy, I think he's just a
dishonest teenager having some "fun" (I hope).

On 12/19/03 9:28 AM, in article [email protected], "Dave Kahn"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> meb <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>
>> The only apparent fraud on the part of the reseller appears to be the misrepresented association
>> with the bike shop.
>
> Unless I've misunderstood the whole situation the fraud is that the "reseller" is not reselling
> the original bike, but that he is selling a bike he does not have.

On quite a few of the Cannondale phony auctions, I've emailed the
seller and asked questions like:

1) where is the bike located... I would like to see it.

The answer is I can't see it as they are selling from a bike shop and they can't mix internet and
bike shop, as the internet prices are much, much lower.

2) "wire" is the only payment method .. I find that uncomfortable.. what else can you do on payment.
The answer is, check or send half of the money and put the other half in escrow ..

3) how come you have so many different sizes and seem to have a large quantity. The answer is that
they are selling thru a bike shop .. and the bikes can come from Holland or the U.S.. depending
upon availability.

These guys just keep coming back in email trying to get me to send some cash.

Ebay does NOT do enough to keep this stuff off the auction listings. There are many "triggers"
like no history/new ID, private auction, no reserve, minimal starting bid, multiple auctions of
the same product.

Ebay does not make it easy to report these fraudulent auctions

when we have placed phony high bids on these items, it seems to be a trigger for ebay to look at the
auction and always pulls it. Ebay has not come back to us about it.

charlie

"Charles Beristain" wrote:
> Ebay doesn't seem to be too interested in being made aware of these phony bids... anyone found a
> convenient mechanism for reporting these phony auctions?

About a year ago, I noticed a seller that had about ten auctions going, all with unreasonably high
minimum bids. For several days, there were no bids on any of them. Then within a one minute period,
one particular person bid on every one of them (obviously a shill). I reported it to eBay, and got a
response back that yes it looked somewhat suspicious, but there was nothing they could do about it.

Art Harris

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 19:51:25 GMT, Werehatrack
<[email protected]> wrote:
>>> How would it make sense for him to run a scam and then post alerting potential buyers to the
>>> fact that it's a scam?
>>
>>That wouldn't make sense, what would make sense is someone trying to screw up a ligitimate auction
>>because they hate the guy.

The OP said that he used those photos in an earlier auction; it should be possible to confirm
everything around that piece of information.

>I have purchased some expensive things on eBay over the years, among them the car that I'm
>currently driving. I would have found the cited

You're driving and typing a message at the same time?
--
Rick Onanian

In article <J%[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

>Apparently the, oft maligned, do nothing behemoth, eBay... did something. ED3

Often they do nothing. This time they did something, but I think it was a bit late. Hopefully they
contacted all the bidders letting them know this guy/gal was a scammer. That way they won't fall for
the 'the high bidder backed out and I am willing to sell the item to you for you high bid' scam.
--------------
Alex

> In article <J%[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
>
> >Apparently the, oft maligned, do nothing behemoth, eBay... did something. ED3
>
> Often they do nothing. This time they did something, but I think it was a bit late. Hopefully
> they contacted all the bidders letting them know this guy/gal was a scammer. That way they won't
> fall for the 'the high bidder backed out and I am willing to sell the item to you for you high
> bid' scam.
> --------------
> Alex

That's one thing I am willing to bet they have never and will never do. Ebay is a Eden of commerce,
nothing ever goes wrong and there. wheny ou choose to send complete strangers large sums of money
you are protected by the warm cradle that is ebay, to suggest that there are bad people on ebay is
definitely not part of the corporate policy.

--
_________________________

Originally posted by Arthur Harris
"meb" wrote:

> The phony bidders have themselves engaged in fraudulent activity and could be expelled from Ebay;

> Seems these phony buyers are taking a mighty big risk themselves in their efforts to block an
> alleged fraud.

Agree.

> BTW: Several persons on this thread have misconstrued the resellers use of the photos as a fraud.
> Since this is the same bike, there is no fraud regarding the photos.

How do we know this guy even bought the bike in the first auction? He could have just stolen the
photos and put up his own fake auction. If it is indeed a scam, he doesn't need to have the actual
bike in his possession.

Art Harris

The OP said “Just want to let everyone know that there is a 57cm Ti Lemond for sale on ebay. This is a bike that I sold last week.” The subject is clearly bike, not photos. Neither photos nor auction pics were even mentioned at the quoted point in the post.

One would have to be awfully cynical to jump to an accusatory assumption that the reseller is also selling a bike he didn’t buy premised upon a belief that OP meant more than he stated merely because there is a fraud identified elsewhere regarding the bike shop association.

OP never said the reseller doesn’t have the bike the OP sold, he identified the photos as his and identified the bike shop listed is where he is employed (I thought it reasonable infer that since OP was employed at the bike shop, he would be in a position to know of an improperly advertised association and was making that accusation).

Originally posted by meb
[...]

The OP is Chad - yes he did say the seller did not have the bike - he did so in two follow-up posts. No jumping on accusatory assumptions is required because Chad clarified the situation TWICE.

The fraudulent seller did not have ANY bike to sell and copied Chad's photos from a legit auction that had already ended.

> meb [email protected] wrote: >the phony bidders have entered a
binding contract subjecting
> themselves to a breach of contract suit by the phony reseller. The phony bidders had full
> knowledge of the fraudulent bike shop association before placing the bid, so they have no fraud
> defense to fall back on should the seller file an action against them
>
>Seems these phony buyers are taking a mighty big risk themselves in their efforts to block an
>alleged fraud.

Wouldn't this be like calling the cops because someone's stealing your pot plants?

Tim

"John Rees" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:
> Well, it looks like scam artists abound with Canada registered ebay logins. Look at the bikes on
> offer from this seller. Brand new id and quite a collection of bikes. http://search-
> desc.ebay.com/ws/search/SaleSearch?satitle=bike&sotextsearched=2&saseller=116643637
>
> For example, here is a Cannondale Scalpel offered by what appears to be a legitimate seller, and
> is for a worthy charity.
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3645818723
>
> Here is mr sleaze bucket auction Does the picture look familure?
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3647007933

wow, that was pretty quick...looks like ebay already pulled the plug on that guy.