BEWARE! Do not criticise the "other" messageboard

G

I made the "mistake" of questioning the existence of the "other" messageboard. My account was promptly flagged and I cannot access this service anymore. I find it strange as this messageboard used to be a place where cyclists could debate argue learn trade ideas and just plainly make friends. They introduced a sign on feature with name and PIN, just like here and the messageboard died. It is now a mundane place where people trade bikes and say boring things. No more two screens full of replies to controversial things. The Liss family taking part in a race in Capetown only attracted five replies. My comments were even removed on the grounds that they are a business and cannot tolerate users advertising other messageboards on their site. YES I ADVERTISED THIS FORUM........ The best forum on both sides of the ocean

Keep those wheels spinning!!!!

Big H

I find that strange, since they have a link to us. What the site owners/board mod/whoever should realise is that we are NOT COMPETING against them, but that we are FREELY PROMOTING what they SELL - CYCLING!!! The people that post on this board are the same people that BUY their products. I guess it's a case of cutting off your nose to spite your face. I don't get it? ???

ps: thanks for the 'add' BH ;)

Posting a link to a site like this on another message 'cycling' board can be quite risky.
We get the odd spam message every few days and they're deleted as soon as we find them, most of the time the posters arnt members. I've even started a admin forum called "The SPAM Bin" hehe we should have quite a collection in there in a few months.

At the end of the day, the board owner makes the rules and there aint anything you or anyone else can do about it.

But as an owner/admin you have to realise that the internet is bigger than your website. We have picked up alot of members from the site you mentioned in your post (http://www.cyclelab.com/messageboard.asp ), we have also picked up alot from bikeforums.net and ridemonkey.com etc... But don't forget, each of these sites will have picked up members from here that they otherwise may not have had.

IMO we are not direct competitors with any of them, this site is the only one thats a focused road cycling forum (mtb etc.. takes a back seat here.....and we don't sell anything like someone else does).

What the site owners/board mod/whoever should realise is that we are NOT COMPETING against them, but that we are FREELY PROMOTING what they SELL - CYCLING!!! The people that post on this board are the same people that BUY their products.

Ahhhh ...... most of you guys in SA buy your gear from them? ::) So do you mean OUR members can ask for advice on weather to buy a Cannondale or a Giant at THIS FORUM and then go and buy it off the big bad competitor?

cheers

Hi Guys

What I find wrong is the censure they apply on this messageboard. It smacks of the old "SENSUURRAAD" where normal people used their "almighty" wills to silence and keep other people from experiencing things. They make a mockery of their opening gambit "give us your views right here......" What a joke. They have no "rules" or conditions to adhere to when you sign up (we also do not have that!!!) and then mr Huyser (the webmaster/dictator/or whatever title he hangs to himself ) said in his reply that what he exercised was freedom of speech!!!!!!!. Also note that only had the guts to keep his public reply on the "messageboard" for a very short while. I ask again ..... is he scared of the truth or maybe negative comments. Is he and his puppetmaster on such shaky ground that he cannot afford negative comment to what he calls a messageboard. Let rather sign off before I say too much.

Other readers BEWARE of the Groot KROKODIL Johan who might relegate you to obscurity on "his messageboard" with a stoke of a button.!!!!!!

Keep those wheels spinning!!!!

Big H

I made the "mistake" of questioning the existence of the "other" messageboard. My account was promptly flagged and I cannot access this service anymore. I find it strange as this messageboard used to be a place where cyclists could debate argue learn trade ideas and just plainly make friends. They introduced a sign on feature with name and PIN, just like here and the messageboard died. It is now a mundane place where people trade bikes and say boring things.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. A message board that I frequented regularly until recently has gone down hill dramatically in recent months, as a result I haven't posted there at all lately. I say move on and forget about it. Eventually other boards will fill the role as the regulars from the board you mentioned get sick of the things that went on.

There is a new force in cycling who unfortunately think they should dominate all aspects of the sport. They are trying to capture the sport by controlling events (via timing and entries), shopping, news and general information to the SA cycling fraternity.

I agree with Chris_L - move on and forget the "other" site. Besides, it was slow and uninformative. Let's dedicate our efforts here instead, where our interests go beyond the marketplace.

It is quite unfortunate that things are going the way they are for the messageboard in question. I used to visit it frequently but now I have better things to do like visit here.
When people try to mix business too much with their interests and take the custom and loyalty of other enthusiasts for granted then you get what the people behind that messageboard now have. One of the most prominent clubs in Guateng has been split into two because people were more or less forced to pitch camps. Friends badmouthing friends. People dissing, and lying about, others.
At the tour d'urban on Sunday the two clubs pitched tents close to each other but the warmth and friendliness of the days of yore was not there.
It is a lesson for us all when all the business is over and the money is made and lost - you still need your friends.

Regards

This "other" message board / site also started a cycling program on Supersport (TV). The owner, of that site is a co-presenter and boy, O boy, isn't he doing his best to make sure that viewers only knows about his shop and no one elses. The is defnittaly not a healthy situation and Supersport is falling for that. If I was some of the other shops I would object. I'ts fine that he is a co-presenter but he cannot be allowed to use a TV program to promote his bussiness. What do you think?