Beware Europed shaft-drive bikes

Burnt

Dec 4, 2005
Guys,
I just bought a Europed shaft-drive bicycle off the Internet - there are a couple of places in Queensland that sell them. I commute to work, so the idea of a maintenance-free, weather proof bike seemed attractive.
The photos on the web site looked good, but of course it's not the same as trying it out yourself.

When I got it, I soon found that although the gearing and shaft were as expected, the rest of the bike has been drastically down-spec'd.

For a start, these bikes are obviously made for Chinese. There is only one size, and for a six footer (nothing too strange about that in Australia these days) it is far too small. When I extended the seat post to the max, I was still left in crouching position. OK for the first 100 meters, but rather tiring after that.

Secondly, although there are lugs and eyelets for mudguards, the design is so dumb that there is no room between the tyre and the brake calipers for the guard to fit. Obviously mudguards are quite important when commuting in work clothes....which is why I chose the shaft-drive design in the first place....

Finally, and worst of all, the front shocks are straight out of KMart. They clunk at every stroke of the pedal, which is like the old water-drip torture after a while. They have a threaded headset, which are the old design (on a brand new bike, mind you). I have looked around and have been told it will be very hard to find better shocks to fit, and will cost several hundred dollars if I do.

The bike initially cost $545, but I have spent $400 trying to get it to a state I can use (including thinner tyres so I can fit the mudguards, new seat post, new handlebar stem) and it is still far from perfect.

My mistake was to focus on the one feature I really wanted (the shaft drive) at the expense of the rest of the machine. Trouble is, this isn't Europe. One doesn't have much choice if one strays from the 24-speed Standard Australian Bike. My advice to anyone contemplating going out on a limb, as I did, is to wait till they appear in regular bike shops so you can look/try before you buy.

I can't imagine this 'technology' ever getting to road bikes. Not because of the weight either.

It's just so traditional to have a chain. To hear the chain whirring and gears changing is a magical thing that a 'shaftie' can't replace.

I'm sure the big bike manufacturers have thought about introducing it like Shimano did with the gear change on brake levers. But the research has been done and they've given it a 'no'.

Just speculating. I wouldn't mind trying a shaft drive roadie though, for some reason. Maybe its the human desire to stand out and be different...

mezzinator said:
I can't imagine this 'technology' ever getting to road bikes. Not because of the weight either....
It's horses for courses. In my case, the convenience, lack of maintenance and cleanliness (no oil on my pants, for a start) of a shaft-drive that appealed to me. As a commuter, I have to ride in all weathers, and I found the amount of time I spent cleaning and lubricating the dozens of exposed moving parts in a 24-speed was a hole in my weekends that I could do without. And of course, as any dad will confirm, the most dreaded words in the language are "Daddy can I help?" - thereby doubling the size of the hole! You try keeping a little boy away from the bike you are working on....
The issue I raised was not about shaft-drives per se - this is a matter of choice. My gripe was that this particular model is so defective in every other respect. And my advice was to wait for better models to appear. They already exist in Europe and N.America. This being Australia, don't hold your breath.