Beware of Performance Products!

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by The Airman, Apr 21, 2003.

  1. The Airman

    The Airman Guest

    For anyone ordering from Performance Products:

    Be careful about ordering product from their website. I ordered a jacket and jersey last week (along
    with a few other items) and when the package showed up, the key items, the jacket and jersey were
    missing. Upon calling them, they told me that they "advertise items on the website, and do not know
    if anything is in stock, even though they take your credit card and pre-authorize it BEFORE they
    even fill the order".. what a scam.

    Now it is going to be real cold on this weekend's Ironman ride.

    Thanks Performance Products!

    Ed Deppe

    Minnesota

    Tags:

  2. Ken

    Ken Guest

    "The Airman" <[email protected]> wrote in news:1UUoa.18004$Yj2.416573 @twister.rdc-kc.rr.com:
    > Upon calling them, they told me that they "advertise items on the website, and do not know if
    > anything is in stock, even though they take your credit card and pre-authorize it BEFORE they even
    > fill the order".. what a scam. Now it is going to be real cold on this weekend's Ironman ride.

    Stock status has always been a problem with mail order. If you want to be sure of buying a product
    for a certain date, buy from a local shop. If you paid for something you did not receive and they
    refuse a refund; that would be a scam.

  3. B. Sanders

    B. Sanders Guest

    "The Airman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > For anyone ordering from Performance Products:
    >
    > Be careful about ordering product from their website.

    There retail stores aren't any better, IME. I recently walked out of a Chicagoland Performance store
    because the salesperson was so amazingly arrogant, confrontational and rude that I decided I'd never
    shop at their stores again. Their prices weren't that good - I was there because it was convenient;
    but I won't put up with that level of arrogance. Hint: Arrogant self-absorbed testosterone-pumped
    steroid-abusing pro-wannabe roadies are not ideal salespeople.

    I'll buy from JensonUSA.com from now on: Best prices, great selection. I'm also ordering from
    Nashbar again, though I'm still not happy with their terrible lag times on delivery and their online
    catalog is not to be trusted (same problems that you're having with Performance). I'm still waiting
    on a Nashbar order from two weeks ago, while my PricePoint.com order arrived 5 days ago (ordered on
    the same day). Nashbar waited 4 days to ship my order, and I had to contact them 3 times to get them
    to honor the pricematch with JensonUSA. Sheesh! Anyway, I'm trying to give Nashbar a chance.

    -Barry

  4. On Mon, 21 Apr 2003 16:21:17 GMT in rec.bicycles.misc, "The Airman" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Be careful about ordering product from their website. I ordered a jacket and jersey last week
    > (along with a few other items) and when the package showed up, the key items, the jacket and
    > jersey were missing. Upon calling them, they told me that they "advertise items on the website,
    > and do not know if anything is in stock, even though they take your credit card and pre-authorize
    > it BEFORE they even fill the order".. what a scam.

    it's NOT a scam unless they charged you for merchandise which they didn't ship. if you had called
    their 800 number and ordered it by phone, you would have known it was out of stock. the web site,
    like many web sites, is updated by a nightly batch operation from their main ordering system.

    i've never had anything but excellent service and products from nashbar, but then i ordered by phone
    even if i found the product on the web site.

  5. Bill

    Bill Guest

    "The Airman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > For anyone ordering from Performance Products:
    >
    > Be careful about ordering product from their website. ...
    <snip> "advertise items on the website, and do not
    > know if anything is in stock, even though they take your credit card and pre-authorize it BEFORE
    > they even fill the order".. what a scam.
    >
    > Now it is going to be real cold on this weekend's Ironman ride.
    >
    > Thanks Performance Products!
    >
    > Ed Deppe
    >
    > Minnesota

    Actually I have had great sucess with Performance both on line and on the phone. If it's important I
    call. If it is really critical I go where I can carry it out the door.

    I have quit buying from Performance because they are becoming another house branded Nashbar. One is
    ok but I can't think why we need two under the same ownership. Also no longer tax free in Ohio.
    (Home of Nashbar)

    --
    Bill Brannon Remove the no spam stuff to reply

  6. "B. Sanders" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "The Airman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > For anyone ordering from Performance Products:
    > >
    > > Be careful about ordering product from their website.
    >
    > There retail stores aren't any better, IME. I recently walked out of a Chicagoland Performance
    > store because the salesperson was so amazingly arrogant, confrontational and rude that I decided
    > I'd never shop at their stores again. Their prices weren't that good - I was there because it was
    > convenient; but I won't put up with that level of arrogance. Hint: Arrogant self-absorbed
    > testosterone-pumped steroid-abusing pro-wannabe roadies are not ideal salespeople.

    Funny, my Performance store back home in Fairfax is largely full of mountainbiker sorts, and look
    utter askance at anybody who'd put fenders on, or ride in the rain, or go anywhere really... Not
    rude, friendly, but not interested in what I'm interested in. But they're local and handy.

    Observation: large chains are really a series of local shops with common warehouses. Some locations
    are good. Others bad....

    -Luigi

  7. Barry Sanders wrote:

    "Hint: Arrogant self-absorbed testosterone-pumped steroid-abusing pro-wannabe roadies are not ideal
    salespeople."

    They're not much fun to ride with, either ;-3)

    I found Nashbar to be pretty reliable, but I usualy only order things through their website that I
    found in their catalogue. Whether that makes any difference or not, I don't know.

    It usually arrivesw whithin four days to a week, depending on the USPS.

    Pity Lance doesn't WORK for them! LOL!

  8. John Foltz

    John Foltz Guest

    B. Sanders wrote:
    > ... Anyway, I'm trying to give Nashbar a chance.

    We all know that Nashbar is now owned by Performance, right?

    I've had generally good experiences with both via mailorder or weborder. I even got Performance to
    match Nashbar's price on an item. Competing against themselves is something they are apparently
    trying to avoid, because the opportunity doesn't present itself much anymore.

  9. The Airman

    The Airman Guest

    Hi-

    I did call, and was told it was in stock. I am pissed that I was lied to. Now I have to ride in the
    cold, thanks to depending on them for an XXL jacket size. So much for depending on them.

    Ed Deppe Minnesota

    "Dennis P. Harris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:37k8av4[email protected]...
    > On Mon, 21 Apr 2003 16:21:17 GMT in rec.bicycles.misc, "The Airman" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Be careful about ordering product from their website. I ordered a
    jacket
    > > and jersey last week (along with a few other items) and when the package showed up, the key
    > > items, the jacket and jersey were missing. Upon
    calling
    > > them, they told me that they "advertise items on the website, and do not know if anything is in
    > > stock, even though they take your credit card and pre-authorize it BEFORE they even fill the
    > > order".. what a scam.
    > >
    > it's NOT a scam unless they charged you for merchandise which they didn't ship. if you had called
    > their 800 number and ordered it by phone, you would have known it was out of stock. the web site,
    > like many web sites, is updated by a nightly batch operation from their main ordering system.
    >
    > i've never had anything but excellent service and products from nashbar, but then i ordered by
    > phone even if i found the product on the web site.

  10. The Airman

    The Airman Guest

    Ken-

    Try buying a XXL or XLT product from a local bike shop. Kind of hard when you wear a 48-50"
    chest, 38" sleeve and 36" waist. I am 6'6". Most clothes found in local shops are for the average
    little guy.

    Thanks anyway, but I have tried the locals. That is what I have tried first in the past.

    Ed

    "Ken" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "The Airman" <[email protected]> wrote in news:1UUoa.18004$Yj2.416573 @twister.rdc-kc.rr.com:
    > > Upon calling them, they told me that they "advertise items on the website, and do not know
    > > if anything is in stock, even though they take your credit card and pre-authorize it BEFORE
    > > they even fill the order".. what a scam. Now it is going to be real cold on this weekend's
    > > Ironman ride.
    >
    > Stock status has always been a problem with mail order. If you want to be sure of buying a product
    > for a certain date, buy from a local shop. If
    you
    > paid for something you did not receive and they refuse a refund; that
    would
    > be a scam.

  11. Don Demair

    Don Demair Guest

    I once ordered a refurbished item from Performance. It was $10.00 off the usual price. After a few
    days, they notified me that it was out of stock and offered me $5.00 off a new one with free
    shipping. It seemed like a fair deal to me.

    Granted, they should not have taken the order on something they didn't have, but they did make
    amends for their mistake.

    -Don

    "The Airman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > For anyone ordering from Performance Products:
    >
    > Be careful about ordering product from their website. I ordered a jacket and jersey last week
    > (along with a few other items) and when the package showed up, the key items, the jacket and
    > jersey were missing. Upon
    calling
    > them, they told me that they "advertise items on the website, and do not know if anything is in
    > stock, even though they take your credit card and pre-authorize it BEFORE they even fill the
    > order".. what a scam.
    >
    > Now it is going to be real cold on this weekend's Ironman ride.
    >
    > Thanks Performance Products!
    >
    > Ed Deppe
    >
    > Minnesota

  12. Doug Kanter

    Doug Kanter Guest

    "Luigi de Guzman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "B. Sanders" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > "The Airman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > For anyone ordering from Performance Products:
    > > >
    > > > Be careful about ordering product from their website.
    > >
    > > There retail stores aren't any better, IME. I recently walked out of a Chicagoland Performance
    > > store because the salesperson was so amazingly arrogant, confrontational and rude that I decided
    > > I'd never shop at
    their
    > > stores again. Their prices weren't that good - I was there because it
    was
    > > convenient; but I won't put up with that level of arrogance. Hint: Arrogant self-absorbed
    > > testosterone-pumped steroid-abusing pro-wannabe roadies are not ideal salespeople.
    >
    > Funny, my Performance store back home in Fairfax is largely full of mountainbiker sorts, and look
    > utter askance at anybody who'd put fenders on, or ride in the rain, or go anywhere really... Not
    > rude, friendly, but not interested in what I'm interested in. But they're local and handy.
    >
    > Observation: large chains are really a series of local shops with common warehouses. Some
    > locations are good. Others bad....
    >
    > -Luigi

    This is interesting! During my current search for a bike, I've been to three highly regarded stores.
    One is staffed by tan guys with long blonde hair, who look like they spent the past month surfing in
    Hawaii. Another is staffed by guys who look like they hadn't eaten in 3 years, and have at least
    facial piercings. The third is staffed by guys who wear either black, or black, and look like ze
    Germanz on ze Saturday Night Live skit "Sprockets". :) They were all knowledgable and friendly, but
    what's with the pure cultures within some stores? :) Is there a sociologist in the house?

  13. Doug Kanter

    Doug Kanter Guest

    Typo: ..."at least 8 facial piercings...."

  14. Fritz M

    Fritz M Guest

    "The Airman" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Now I have to ride in the cold, thanks to depending on them for an XXL jacket size. So much for
    > depending on them.

    Does Performance make any claims or guarantees regarding availability? If not, I would say to take
    this as a lesson that you should prepare ahead of time.

    RFM
    --
    To reply, translate domain from l33+ 2p33|< to alpha. 4=a 0=o 3=e +=t

  15. Kenny Lee

    Kenny Lee Guest

    Doug Kanter wrote:
    > Typo: ..."at least 8 facial piercings...."

    Say you wouldn't happen to be referring to the sales clerk who works at the Performance store in
    Fountain Valley California would you? He was a really helpful person but I was a little taken aback
    by all rings that were piercing through his ears, nose, lips and eyebrows. I was freaked out at
    first (about a second. it helps being from CA) because I was expecting speech reminiscent of a space
    alien not a native speaker of english.

    Kenny Lee

  16. Doug Kanter

    Doug Kanter Guest

    "Kenny Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Doug Kanter wrote:
    > > Typo: ..."at least 8 facial piercings...."
    > >

    > Say you wouldn't happen to be referring to the sales clerk who works at the Performance store in
    > Fountain Valley California would you? He was a really helpful person but I was a little taken
    > aback by all rings that were piercing through his ears, nose, lips and eyebrows. I was freaked out
    > at first (about a second. it helps being from CA) because I was expecting speech reminiscent of a
    > space alien not a native speaker of english.
    >
    > Kenny Lee

    If I were not as polite as I am, I'd ask someone like that to turn slowly in one direction or the
    other, to see if he can pick of Voice of America on shortwave.....

  17. Zed

    Zed Guest

    I live in Central Ohio and years ago when I ordered from Nashbar the order would arrive within one
    or two days by UPS. I ordered some shoes last year and after two weeks I had to reorder because they
    did not arrive. I ordered some stuff earlier in this month and it took a week by USPS. I'm not sure
    how much can be blamed on delivery but the service is not what I was used to from Nashbar.

    "B. Sanders" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "The Airman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > For anyone ordering from Performance Products:
    > >
    > > Be careful about ordering product from their website.
    >
    > There retail stores aren't any better, IME. I recently walked out of a Chicagoland Performance
    > store because the salesperson was so amazingly arrogant, confrontational and rude that I decided
    > I'd never shop at their stores again. Their prices weren't that good - I was there because it was
    > convenient; but I won't put up with that level of arrogance. Hint: Arrogant self-absorbed
    > testosterone-pumped steroid-abusing pro-wannabe roadies are not ideal salespeople.
    >
    > I'll buy from JensonUSA.com from now on: Best prices, great selection.
    I'm
    > also ordering from Nashbar again, though I'm still not happy with their terrible lag times on
    > delivery and their online catalog is not to be
    trusted
    > (same problems that you're having with Performance). I'm still waiting on
    > Nashbar order from two weeks ago, while my PricePoint.com order arrived 5 days ago (ordered on the
    > same day). Nashbar waited 4 days to ship my
    order,
    > and I had to contact them 3 times to get them to honor the pricematch with JensonUSA. Sheesh!
    > Anyway, I'm trying to give Nashbar a chance.
    >
    > -Barry

  18. "Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Kenny Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Doug Kanter wrote:
    > > > Typo: ..."at least 8 facial piercings...."
    > > >

    > > Say you wouldn't happen to be referring to the sales clerk who works at the Performance store in
    > > Fountain Valley California would you? He was a really helpful person but I was a little taken
    > > aback by all rings that were piercing through his ears, nose, lips and eyebrows. I was freaked
    > > out at first (about a second. it helps being from CA) because I was expecting speech reminiscent
    > > of a space alien not a native speaker of english.
    > >
    > > Kenny Lee
    >
    > If I were not as polite as I am, I'd ask someone like that to turn slowly in one direction or the
    > other, to see if he can pick of Voice of America on shortwave.....

    only if they're steel--that way you can get better reception *and* that nice smooth ride. In
    piercings as in frames, steel is real...

    -Luigi *duck!*

  19. Fritz M

    Fritz M Guest

    [email protected] (Luigi de Guzman) wrote:

    [ regarding body piercings ]

    > only if they're steel--that way you can get better reception *and* that nice smooth ride. In
    > piercings as in frames, steel is real...

    I believe piercings are the solution to the traffic light triggering problem, also.

    RFM
    --
    To reply, translate domain from l33+ 2p33|< to alpha. 4=a 0=o 3=e +=t

  20. Doug Kanter

    Doug Kanter Guest

    "Fritz M" <[email protected]+> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > [email protected] (Luigi de Guzman) wrote:
    >
    > [ regarding body piercings ]
    >
    > > only if they're steel--that way you can get better reception *and* that nice smooth ride. In
    > > piercings as in frames, steel is real...
    >
    > I believe piercings are the solution to the traffic light triggering problem, also.
    >
    > RFM

    Hmmm....interesting theory!