Beware of PowerCranks

On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 10:22:45 -0000, [email protected] wrote:

>On Jun 3, 6:42 am, [email protected] wrote:
>
>> Am I right in thinking that there was an implied assumption that no
>> placebo effect encouraged the PowerCrank group to train harder with
>> their new toy for weeks than the other group, which used the same old
>> equipment?

>In the study, in-lab training time was equal between the PowerCranks
>and control group (1 hr per day, 3 days per week, 6 weeks of
>training). I guess you have to assume that the subjects weren't
>spending their unobserved free time doing extra workouts in an effort
>to screw with the results.

Dear Robert,

Good grief!

They spent three hours a week training in a lab? For six whole weeks?
A staggering eighteen hours of pedaling in 42 days?

Thanks for the details--now I'm wondering what happened during the
other 990 hours of that 42-day span, 98.2% of their time. (I'd spend
twice as long on my daily ride in the same period.)

And I'm still wondering what happened during those 18 hours spread out
over 42 days. If we assume that the PowerCrank group did indeed show a
small but definite physiological improvement, was it due to the extra
muscles being recruited, or was it due to their 18 hours of training
being more intense due to the placebo or new-toy effect that the other
group lacked?

I seem to recall a number of posts, from both sides, that claim that
it takes a while just to learn how to pedal comfortably with
PowerCranks. Does anyone know whether the test group trained on
PowerCranks until they felt comfortable and then spent 18 hours in the
actual comparison test? Or did they come into the test cold and learn
during the testing?

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Jun 3, 7:58 pm, "Phil Holman" <piholmanc@yourservice> wrote:
>> I just checked their website and found another study of trained
>> cyclists
>> that showed a 15.6% increase in VO2max and an 11.6% icrease in max
>> power.
>>
>> http://powercranks.com/assets/pdfs/CSEP_abstract_dixon_2006.pdf

> Luttrell and Potteiger found no difference in VO2Max.

That group trained for 3 hours per week at 70% of VO2Max for 6 weeks
versus 8 hours per week (20% anaerobic) for 6 weeks. The second test was
considerably more extensive. There was also no control group for the
second test. What does it take to get an appropriate and properly
designed test?
Max sums it up well.......Dr. Testa was quick to indicate that a fully
controlled study is still needed, but that preliminary impressions from
several high caliber athlete's had been very positive. With riders like
Danielle Nardello and Stefano Garzelli liking the results and producing
more even power output from using them. He had also seen some 25 - 30
watt gains at LT (lactate threshold) in people using them for the first
time, but also said that other training stimulus were present. He calls
them a "very valuable tool" and something that forces everyone, pro's
and amateurs alike, to be more efficient by forcing you to carry the
weight of the up stroke leg and also maintain force through the entire
range of motion. "It's something that nothing else forces you to do and
it makes you do work that is without a doubt of benefit.""

Phil H

On Jun 3, 10:02 pm, "Phil Holman" <piholmanc@yourservice> wrote:
> There was also no control group for the second test. What does it
> take to get an appropriate and properly designed test?

On the one hand, I'd say this is like Keystone Kops. On the other, I'd
have to admit that I've read some pretty bad manuscripts in my own
field, and I'm often surprised at how clueless supposedly smart people
can be about what constitutes a properly designed test.

In article <[email protected]>,
"Phil Holman" <piholmanc@yourservice> wrote:

> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > On Jun 3, 5:46 am, [email protected] wrote:
> >> On Sat, 2 Jun 2007 19:39:13 -0700, "Phil Holman"

> >> No offense, but that sounds like 200 watts rising to 203 watts.

> > Well, the difference was in gross efficiency, not in power. Frank
> > Day calls them PowerCranks, not EfficiencyCranks. Phil may know
> > whether there has been a published RCT that shows an increase in
> > power.
> >

> I just checked their website and found another study of trained
> cyclists that showed a 15.6% increase in VO2max and an 11.6% icrease
> in max power.

My understanding- which may not be correct- is that VO2 max is
biologically determined and that training does not significantly change
this.

PowerCranks have always been marketed a bit too much like the Second
Coming for my tastes.

"Tim McNamara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Phil Holman" <piholmanc@yourservice> wrote:
>
>> <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>> > Well, the difference was in gross efficiency, not in power. Frank
>> > Day calls them PowerCranks, not EfficiencyCranks. Phil may know
>> > whether there has been a published RCT that shows an increase in
>> > power.
>> >

>> I just checked their website and found another study of trained
>> cyclists that showed a 15.6% increase in VO2max and an 11.6% icrease
>> in max power.

> My understanding- which may not be correct- is that VO2 max is
> biologically determined and that training does not significantly
> change
> this.

I'll assume you are talking about a theoretical ceiling and not the
difference in the same athlete being in shape and not in shape.
The theoretical ceiling is biologically determined but what biologically
constitutes that ceiling is still up for discussion.

> PowerCranks have always been marketed a bit too much like the Second
> Coming for my tastes.

I thought you of all people could separate the science from the emotion.

Phil H

On Sun, 3 Jun 2007 13:45:35 -0700, "Phil Holman"
<piholmanc@yourservice> wrote:

>"Tim McNamara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> In article <[email protected]>,
>> "Phil Holman" <piholmanc@yourservice> wrote:
>>
>>> <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...

>>> I just checked their website and found another study of trained
>>> cyclists that showed a 15.6% increase in VO2max and an 11.6% icrease
>>> in max power.

>> My understanding- which may not be correct- is that VO2 max is
>> biologically determined and that training does not significantly
>> change
>> this.

>I'll assume you are talking about a theoretical ceiling and not the
>difference in the same athlete being in shape and not in shape.
>The theoretical ceiling is biologically determined but what biologically
>constitutes that ceiling is still up for discussion.
>

>> PowerCranks have always been marketed a bit too much like the Second
>> Coming for my tastes.

>I thought you of all people could separate the science from the emotion.
>
>Phil H

Dear Phil,

I'm skeptical (as you've noticed), but I also suspect that my
skepticism gets in the way of understanding.

So here's a dumb question . . .

Is the claimed improvement for PowerCranks thought to be due to a
mostly physiological change, very roughly the equivalent of bigger
biceps letting you lift a larger weight?

Or is it due to a mostly mechanical change in technique, with the
rider's body left unchanged and the improvement due to the rider
learning to use the same muscles in a more efficient manner?

My assumption was that it's supposed to be a raw physiological
improvement, but maybe I've been missing the point and technique is
supposed to play a major role.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sun, 3 Jun 2007 13:45:35 -0700, "Phil Holman"
> <piholmanc@yourservice> wrote:
>

>>"Tim McNamara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]...

>>> My understanding- which may not be correct- is that VO2 max is
>>> biologically determined and that training does not significantly
>>> change
>>> this.

>>I'll assume you are talking about a theoretical ceiling and not the
>>difference in the same athlete being in shape and not in shape.
>>The theoretical ceiling is biologically determined but what
>>biologically
>>constitutes that ceiling is still up for discussion.
>>

>>> PowerCranks have always been marketed a bit too much like the Second
>>> Coming for my tastes.

>>I thought you of all people could separate the science from the
>>emotion.
>>
>>Phil H

> Dear Phil,
>
> I'm skeptical (as you've noticed), but I also suspect that my
> skepticism gets in the way of understanding.
>
> So here's a dumb question . . .
>
> Is the claimed improvement for PowerCranks thought to be due to a
> mostly physiological change, very roughly the equivalent of bigger
> biceps letting you lift a larger weight?
>
> Or is it due to a mostly mechanical change in technique, with the
> rider's body left unchanged and the improvement due to the rider
> learning to use the same muscles in a more efficient manner?
>
> My assumption was that it's supposed to be a raw physiological
> improvement, but maybe I've been missing the point and technique is
> supposed to play a major role.

Two things:
Elimination of pedaling inefficiencies
Increased aerobic capacity due to greater muscle utilization.

Both of these are subject to the same adaptation of pedaling technique
and in my case, required substantial training hours to realize the
adaptation. Mostly in the form of conditioning the hip flexors and
hamstrings to pull up.

Your previous mention of the placebo effect is interesting. It "may"
work for determining VO2Max or Maxpower where the subject was less than
motivated and pooped out early on the "before" test. However, I don't
see how a placebo effect can explain a change in gross efficiency.

Phil H

In article <[email protected]>,
"Phil Holman" <piholmanc@yourservice> wrote:

> "Tim McNamara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > In article <[email protected]>, "Phil
> > Holman" <piholmanc@yourservice> wrote:
> >
> >> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >> news:[email protected]...

> >> I just checked their website and found another study of trained
> >> cyclists that showed a 15.6% increase in VO2max and an 11.6%
> >> icrease in max power.

> > My understanding- which may not be correct- is that VO2 max is
> > biologically determined and that training does not significantly
> > change this.

> I'll assume you are talking about a theoretical ceiling and not the
> difference in the same athlete being in shape and not in shape. The
> theoretical ceiling is biologically determined but what biologically
> constitutes that ceiling is still up for discussion.

As I understand it (it's been a while since I had any reason to look
into this stuff and maybe new data has come to light in the interim), if
your VO max is 60 ml/kg/min then that is basically it. You can't "train
up" your VO2 by 15.6% at least from the data I had looked at a few years
back.

Miguel Indurain's published VO2 max was 88 ml/kg/min which is very much
at the high end. Lemond's was reported to be over 90 ml/kg/min. A
training technique that would net guys think this a 15.6% increase would
make them invincible. Nobody could touch them in an event like the Tour
de France. You can't get even those kinds of gains by doping.

There are things you can train up by quite a bit, such as your sustained
power output at lactate threshold, Wingate test, etc. Those things are
important and can make a big difference in race results.

> > PowerCranks have always been marketed a bit too much like the
> > Second Coming for my tastes.

> I thought you of all people could separate the science from the
> emotion.

Hype annoys me, what can I say. When the hype seems mighty unrealistic,
I get suspicious of there being a dose of snake oil in the mix. IMHO
people who are extremely competitive have a tendency to be a bit
gullible when it comes to things that promise improved performance.

Of interest to me would be whether whatever benefits are gained from
PowerCranks are durable. When people go back to regular cranks for
racing, do the maintain the neuromuscular pattern that a PowerCrank is
supposed to develop? Or do they go back to normal riding quickly? Do
they have to "brush up" with the PowerCranks periodically? My hunch is
that the muscle recruitment pattern is quickly unlearned and the rider
goes back to a normal pedal stroke within a week or so after returning
to using normal cranks.

"Tim McNamara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Phil Holman" <piholmanc@yourservice> wrote:
>
>> "Tim McNamara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>> > My understanding- which may not be correct- is that VO2 max is
>> > biologically determined and that training does not significantly
>> > change this.

>> I'll assume you are talking about a theoretical ceiling and not the
>> difference in the same athlete being in shape and not in shape. The
>> theoretical ceiling is biologically determined but what biologically
>> constitutes that ceiling is still up for discussion.

> As I understand it (it's been a while since I had any reason to look
> into this stuff and maybe new data has come to light in the interim),
> if
> your VO max is 60 ml/kg/min then that is basically it. You can't
> "train
> up" your VO2 by 15.6% at least from the data I had looked at a few
> years
> back.

I'll resist the urge to challenge your understanding on the basis of a
rider who loses 5 kg of body weight. When dealing with PCs, we are not
interested in that aspect of any VO2Max improvement.

> Miguel Indurain's published VO2 max was 88 ml/kg/min which is very
> much
> at the high end. Lemond's was reported to be over 90 ml/kg/min. A
> training technique that would net guys think this a 15.6% increase
> would
> make them invincible. Nobody could touch them in an event like the
> Tour
> de France. You can't get even those kinds of gains by doping.

You're not going to see those kind of gains in athletes who have
maximized their training potential. In any event, VO2Max is a poor
predictor of race performance within a strata of racing abilities. From
the test, it is not clear whether actual 02 uptake was measured or if
VO2Max was estimated from the time to exhaustion in the incremental
test.

> There are things you can train up by quite a bit, such as your
> sustained
> power output at lactate threshold, Wingate test, etc. Those things
> are
> important and can make a big difference in race results.

Yep. Ive alluded to the fact that an appropriate test needs to be done
with these things.
I.e. measure what is directly attributable to racing performance.

>> > PowerCranks have always been marketed a bit too much like the
>> > Second Coming for my tastes.

>> I thought you of all people could separate the science from the
>> emotion.

> Hype annoys me, what can I say. When the hype seems mighty
> unrealistic,
> I get suspicious of there being a dose of snake oil in the mix. IMHO
> people who are extremely competitive have a tendency to be a bit
> gullible when it comes to things that promise improved performance.
>
> Of interest to me would be whether whatever benefits are gained from
> PowerCranks are durable. When people go back to regular cranks for
> racing, do the maintain the neuromuscular pattern that a PowerCrank is
> supposed to develop? Or do they go back to normal riding quickly? Do
> they have to "brush up" with the PowerCranks periodically? My hunch
> is
> that the muscle recruitment pattern is quickly unlearned and the rider
> goes back to a normal pedal stroke within a week or so after returning
> to using normal cranks.

From my experience, it's subject to the same reversible process as
regular training. How much fitness do you think you'll lose in a week? I
haven't pedaled a PC in about 3 years but I can still employ the
technique for sustained periods because I still maintain the riding
technique with regular cranks.

Phil H

In article <[email protected]>,
"Phil Holman" <piholmanc@yourservice> wrote:

> "Tim McNamara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > In article <[email protected]>, "Phil
> > Holman" <piholmanc@yourservice> wrote:
> >
> >> "Tim McNamara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >> news:[email protected]...

> >> I'll assume you are talking about a theoretical ceiling and not
> >> the difference in the same athlete being in shape and not in
> >> shape. The theoretical ceiling is biologically determined but what
> >> biologically constitutes that ceiling is still up for discussion.

> > As I understand it (it's been a while since I had any reason to
> > look into this stuff and maybe new data has come to light in the
> > interim), if your VO max is 60 ml/kg/min then that is basically it.
> > You can't "train up" your VO2 by 15.6% at least from the data I
> > had looked at a few years back.

> I'll resist the urge to challenge your understanding on the basis of
> a rider who loses 5 kg of body weight. When dealing with PCs, we are
> not interested in that aspect of any VO2Max improvement.

That's good, because of course PowerCranks would have no different
effect on this than any other cranks. That's simply a matter of weight
loss.

> > Miguel Indurain's published VO2 max was 88 ml/kg/min which is very
> > much at the high end. Lemond's was reported to be over 90
> > ml/kg/min. A training technique that would net guys think this a
> > 15.6% increase would make them invincible. Nobody could touch them
> > in an event like the Tour de France. You can't get even those
> > kinds of gains by doping.

> You're not going to see those kind of gains in athletes who have
> maximized their training potential. In any event, VO2Max is a poor
> predictor of race performance within a strata of racing abilities.
> From the test, it is not clear whether actual 02 uptake was measured
> or if VO2Max was estimated from the time to exhaustion in the
> incremental test.

VO2 is not the sole determinant of athletic performance- if it was, all
we'd have to do is measure VO2 max and we'd know the winner. However,
given that the literature used to indicate that VO2 was basically
genetically determined- whether that is still the case I don't know- it
seems highly unlikely that one can train up one's VO2 by 15.6%.

> > There are things you can train up by quite a bit, such as your
> > sustained power output at lactate threshold, Wingate test, etc.
> > Those things are important and can make a big difference in race
> > results.

> Yep. Ive alluded to the fact that an appropriate test needs to be
> done with these things. I.e. measure what is directly attributable to
> racing performance.

> >> I thought you of all people could separate the science from the
> >> emotion.

> > Hype annoys me, what can I say. When the hype seems mighty
> > unrealistic, I get suspicious of there being a dose of snake oil in
> > the mix. IMHO people who are extremely competitive have a tendency
> > to be a bit gullible when it comes to things that promise improved
> > performance.
> >
> > Of interest to me would be whether whatever benefits are gained
> > from PowerCranks are durable. When people go back to regular
> > cranks for racing, do the maintain the neuromuscular pattern that a
> > PowerCrank is supposed to develop? Or do they go back to normal
> > riding quickly? Do they have to "brush up" with the PowerCranks
> > periodically? My hunch is that the muscle recruitment pattern is
> > quickly unlearned and the rider goes back to a normal pedal stroke
> > within a week or so after returning to using normal cranks.

> From my experience, it's subject to the same reversible process as
> regular training. How much fitness do you think you'll lose in a
> week? I haven't pedaled a PC in about 3 years but I can still employ
> the technique for sustained periods because I still maintain the
> riding technique with regular cranks.

The purported unique benefit of PowerCranks is as much neurological as
muscular. The rider has to develop a different pattern of muscle
recruitment and develop new "muscle memory." That pattern of muscle
recruitment is not necessary on regular cranks, and I suspect that the
new pattern would be lost quickly- perhaps in a couple of rides.

On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 19:26:41 -0500, Tim McNamara
<[email protected]> wrote:

>However,
>given that the literature used to indicate that VO2 was basically
>genetically determined- whether that is still the case I don't know- it
>seems highly unlikely that one can train up one's VO2 by 15.6%.

An untrained person can, with training, increase VO2max that much.
But once someone has been training seriously for some time they can't.
--
JT
****************************

[email protected] wrote:
> No offense, but that sounds like 200 watts rising to 203 watts.

Wouldn't that be 200W reduced to a mere 197 watts?
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

"A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

>>> "Tim McNamara" <[email protected]> wrote

>> "Phil Holman" <piholmanc@yourservice> wrote:
>>> Frank Day. His last posts here were after a scientific study showed
>>> a statistically significant 1.5% gross efficiency improvement. The
>>> experts here still wouldn't buy it.

> [email protected] wrote:
>> No offense, but that sounds like 200 watts rising to 203 watts.

> Wouldn't that be 200W reduced to a mere 197 watts?

No, but I know what you are getting at. For the same 200 watt output,
VO2 consumption reduces by 100*1.5/E = approx 6% less. From this we
infer that for the same O2 consumption, the athlete can output 212
watts.

Phil H

"Tim McNamara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Phil Holman" <piholmanc@yourservice> wrote:
>
>> "Tim McNamara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>> > As I understand it (it's been a while since I had any reason to
>> > look into this stuff and maybe new data has come to light in the
>> > interim), if your VO max is 60 ml/kg/min then that is basically it.
>> > You can't "train up" your VO2 by 15.6% at least from the data I
>> > had looked at a few years back.

>> I'll resist the urge to challenge your understanding on the basis of
>> a rider who loses 5 kg of body weight. When dealing with PCs, we are
>> not interested in that aspect of any VO2Max improvement.

> That's good, because of course PowerCranks would have no different
> effect on this than any other cranks. That's simply a matter of
> weight
> loss.

There is the argument that any improvement means the previous value
wasn't the true max.

>> > Miguel Indurain's published VO2 max was 88 ml/kg/min which is very
>> > much at the high end. Lemond's was reported to be over 90
>> > ml/kg/min. A training technique that would net guys think this a
>> > 15.6% increase would make them invincible. Nobody could touch them
>> > in an event like the Tour de France. You can't get even those
>> > kinds of gains by doping.

>> You're not going to see those kind of gains in athletes who have
>> maximized their training potential. In any event, VO2Max is a poor
>> predictor of race performance within a strata of racing abilities.
>> From the test, it is not clear whether actual 02 uptake was measured
>> or if VO2Max was estimated from the time to exhaustion in the
>> incremental test.

> VO2 is not the sole determinant of athletic performance- if it was,
> all
> we'd have to do is measure VO2 max and we'd know the winner. However,
> given that the literature used to indicate that VO2 was basically
> genetically determined- whether that is still the case I don't know-
> it
> seems highly unlikely that one can train up one's VO2 by 15.6%.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/e...med.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVAbstractPlus

I think you've interpretted theoretical ceiling improvement to mean the
normal kinds of improvements seen by athletes who employ new training
techniques etc.
Once again the "any improvement means the previous value wasn't the true
max" argument applies.

>> > There are things you can train up by quite a bit, such as your
>> > sustained power output at lactate threshold, Wingate test, etc.
>> > Those things are important and can make a big difference in race
>> > results.

>> Yep. Ive alluded to the fact that an appropriate test needs to be
>> done with these things. I.e. measure what is directly attributable to
>> racing performance.

>> > Hype annoys me, what can I say. When the hype seems mighty
>> > unrealistic, I get suspicious of there being a dose of snake oil in
>> > the mix. IMHO people who are extremely competitive have a tendency
>> > to be a bit gullible when it comes to things that promise improved
>> > performance.
>> >
>> > Of interest to me would be whether whatever benefits are gained
>> > from PowerCranks are durable. When people go back to regular
>> > cranks for racing, do the maintain the neuromuscular pattern that a
>> > PowerCrank is supposed to develop? Or do they go back to normal
>> > riding quickly? Do they have to "brush up" with the PowerCranks
>> > periodically? My hunch is that the muscle recruitment pattern is
>> > quickly unlearned and the rider goes back to a normal pedal stroke
>> > within a week or so after returning to using normal cranks.

>> From my experience, it's subject to the same reversible process as
>> regular training. How much fitness do you think you'll lose in a
>> week? I haven't pedaled a PC in about 3 years but I can still employ
>> the technique for sustained periods because I still maintain the
>> riding technique with regular cranks.

> The purported unique benefit of PowerCranks is as much neurological as
> muscular. The rider has to develop a different pattern of muscle
> recruitment and develop new "muscle memory." That pattern of muscle
> recruitment is not necessary on regular cranks, and I suspect that the
> new pattern would be lost quickly- perhaps in a couple of rides.

Now why would you think that? I can't think of one skill I've learned
that has significantly diminished and especially not in a week. Do you
suspect a loss in the ability to play the guitar in a week? This part of
the debate is much like arguing tire RR with those that haven't read the
article. I'm sure you can relate.

Phil H

In article <[email protected]>,
John Forrest Tomlinson <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 19:26:41 -0500, Tim McNamara
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >However, given that the literature used to indicate that VO2 was
> >basically genetically determined- whether that is still the case I
> >don't know- it seems highly unlikely that one can train up one's VO2
> >by 15.6%.

> An untrained person can, with training, increase VO2max that much.

My understanding- which may be incorrect, I got this from an exercise
physiologist that tested our team back in 1996 and maybe understanding
has changed- is that you can't. You can change many other aspects of
fitness with training, but you can't increase VO2 max per kg of lean
muscle mass. You can increase your total VO2 by increasing your lean
muscle mass, but not your ml/kg/min rate- which is the measurement that
counts in endurance sports.

Now, again, there may be newer information that contradicts this and I
wouldn't know about it. I don't peruse the exercise physiology
literature, especially since I stopped racing at the end of 2000...

> But once someone has been training seriously for some time they
> can't.

And that is likely to be the target market for this product.

In article <[email protected]>,
"Phil Holman" <piholmanc@yourservice> wrote:

> "Tim McNamara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > In article <[email protected]>, "Phil
> > Holman" <piholmanc@yourservice> wrote:
> >
> >> "Tim McNamara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >> news:[email protected]...

<snip>

> >> I'll resist the urge to challenge your understanding on the basis
> >> of a rider who loses 5 kg of body weight. When dealing with PCs,
> >> we are not interested in that aspect of any VO2Max improvement.

> > That's good, because of course PowerCranks would have no different
> > effect on this than any other cranks. That's simply a matter of
> > weight loss.

> There is the argument that any improvement means the previous value
> wasn't the true max.

Hmmm, I suppose but then we assume uncontrollable variables that make
the comparative measurements useless.

<snip>

> > VO2 is not the sole determinant of athletic performance- if it was,
> > all we'd have to do is measure VO2 max and we'd know the winner.
> > However, given that the literature used to indicate that VO2 was
> > basically genetically determined- whether that is still the case I
> > don't know- it seems highly unlikely that one can train up one's
> > VO2 by 15.6%.

> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?Db=pubmed&Cmd=ShowDetailView&
> TermToSe
> arch=16876479&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.P
> ubmed_RV AbstractPlus
>
> I think you've interpretted theoretical ceiling improvement to mean
> the normal kinds of improvements seen by athletes who employ new
> training techniques etc. Once again the "any improvement means the
> previous value wasn't the true max" argument applies.

Thanks for the cite. There were too many jargonicious terms in that
abstract for me to sort out at 11:24 PM on a Sunday night. They're
probably transparent to a physiatrist or exercise physiologist.

<snip>

> >> From my experience, it's subject to the same reversible process as
> >> regular training. How much fitness do you think you'll lose in a
> >> week? I haven't pedaled a PC in about 3 years but I can still
> >> employ the technique for sustained periods because I still
> >> maintain the riding technique with regular cranks.

> > The purported unique benefit of PowerCranks is as much neurological
> > as muscular. The rider has to develop a different pattern of
> > muscle recruitment and develop new "muscle memory." That pattern
> > of muscle recruitment is not necessary on regular cranks, and I
> > suspect that the new pattern would be lost quickly- perhaps in a
> > couple of rides.

> Now why would you think that? I can't think of one skill I've learned
> that has significantly diminished and especially not in a week. Do
> you suspect a loss in the ability to play the guitar in a week?

My comment on this comes out my background in psychology. I don't have
a formal background in the sub-field of kinesiology- which would be
relevant to the discussion- so it's quite possible I've got it wrong.
The nervous system learns muscle recruitment patterns through repetition
and indeed part of the training of any sport with repetitive movements
is to refine that recruitment pattern. The pattern is maintained with
repetition and decays with disuse. If you've had enough repetition,
then you'll pick it back up quickly.

I play guitar and the difference in my chops is noticeable to me if I
don't play for a day. If I don't play for a couple days, it's painfully
noticeable. If I didn't play for three days, you'd notice. If I don't
play guitar for a week, which happens sometimes during the summer when I
go out for a bike ride right after work and don't come home until dark,
it takes me an hour or more of running scales and going through chord
progressions to regain my customary level of fluency, for example. And
I don't have to play a lot- a half hour a day or so- to maintain the
motor skills (the creative skills are another matter :p ).

In the case of PowerCranks, my thinking is this: the average racer who
buys these will already have had years of training on regular cranks
with millions of repetitions of the pedaling motion. Average Racer buys
the PCs, puts them on his bike and diligently follows the training
protocol. He learns to lift his legs up and over the top of the
rotation and into the power stroke. He rides with the cranks enough to
develop the new muscular recruitment pattern and doesn't have to
consciously think "up and over" with each pedal stroke. Thus he gains
the signal benefit of PCs, which is that the leg pushing down through
the power stroke isn't being resisted by the weight of the rising leg
coming up through the rest stroke.

Well and good. But in races and on group rides, he might switch to a
bike with regular cranks due to various reasons. Now he doesn't have to
lift that rising leg any more, and the long-established "normal" pattern
of muscle recruitment would probably tend to rapidly reestablish itself-
just like guitarists lapsing back into a familiar pentatonic scale in a
performance setting rather than playing the Mixolydian scale that
they've been learning to use in rehearsal. The question to me is "how
durable is the new pattern of muscle recruitment" when the rider returns
to normal cranks. An hour? A day? A week? A month? Once the pattern
is established, does the rider have to use the PCs daily to maintain
those cited gains in efficiency?

I could readily imagine the rider falling back into a normal pedaling
muscle recruitment pattern within 30 minutes. But I could also be
entirely wrong on that, or there may be quite a bit of variety on a
case-by-case basis.

Interestingly PCs are the reverse of riding a fixed gear. The old
belief is that fixed gear bikes are good for your spin. My experience,
and that of most of the folks I have asked that do fixed gear winter
training, is that when you get back on the freewheel bike you're
pedaling squares and your spin is worse. The fixed gear's ability to
raise the rider's leg with the momentum of the bike- which is part of
what makes a fixed gear feel easier to ride than a freewheel gear of the
same development- changes the muscle recruitment pattern fairly quickly.
I've noticed it after a single midsummer fixed gear ride.

So, in a roundabout way, that's why I would think that. Sorry for the
excess verbosity and rather nonlinear approach to answering your
question.

> This part of the debate is much like arguing tire RR with those that
> haven't read the article. I'm sure you can relate.

I'm sorry to be a drag on the discussion.

On Jun 4, 4:07 am, "Phil Holman" <piholmanc@yourservice> wrote:
> There is the argument that any improvement means the previous value
> wasn't the true max.

and

> Once again the "any improvement means the previous value wasn't the true
> max" argument applies.

Wouldn't that argument mean that if you did observe a change in VO2Max
(in ml/kg/min) then the previous value was faulty and shouldn't be
used as a basis for comparison? If one subscribed to that argument,
both the improvement and VO2Max and the improvement in power should be
discounted.

> "Tim McNamara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> VO2 is not the sole determinant of athletic performance- if it was,
> all we'd have to do is measure VO2 max and we'd know the winner.

Well, it's true that VO2 isn't the sole determinant of athletic
performance, but it's a better determinant than VO2Max:
http://anonymous.coward.free.fr/rbr/coyle.png

On Jun 4, 6:20 am, Tim McNamara <[email protected]> wrote:
You can change many other aspects of
> fitness with training, but you can't increase VO2 max per kg of lean
> muscle mass. You can increase your total VO2 by increasing your lean
> muscle mass, but not your ml/kg/min rate- which is the measurement that
> counts in endurance sports.

You've answered your own question. Mass-standardized VO2Max is
typically measured in terms of ml/kg/min, not ml/lean kg/min.

> On Jun 4, 6:20 am, Tim McNamara <[email protected]> wrote: You can
> change many other aspects of
> > fitness with training, but you can't increase VO2 max per kg of
> > lean muscle mass. You can increase your total VO2 by increasing
> > your lean muscle mass, but not your ml/kg/min rate- which is the
> > measurement that counts in endurance sports.

> You've answered your own question. Mass-standardized VO2Max is
> typically measured in terms of ml/kg/min, not ml/lean kg/min.

The competitive athletes who are going to be the target market for this
product, however, are already going to be lean and won't tend to have
much body fat to lose. Weight loss would not be likely to account for a
claimed 15.6% increase in VO2 max as a result of using PowerCranks given
the likely body composition of its customers.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Jun 4, 4:07 am, "Phil Holman" <piholmanc@yourservice> wrote:
>> There is the argument that any improvement means the previous value
>> wasn't the true max.

> and
>
>> Once again the "any improvement means the previous value wasn't the true
>> max" argument applies.

> Wouldn't that argument mean that if you did observe a change in VO2Max
> (in ml/kg/min) then the previous value was faulty and shouldn't be
> used as a basis for comparison? If one subscribed to that argument,
> both the improvement and VO2Max and the improvement in power should be
> discounted.

It depends on the definition of VO2max. I don't see how something like this
could be so fixed.
Phil H