Beware time pedal design fault.

nath1

Mar 10, 2006
Hi all, been using time pedals for quite a while now. At the mo im using the new RXS models, lower end on my training bike higher on my race bike. Up to now i have been satisfied with the performance, amthought today i was not too happy to find that the small screw that adjusts the tension for enrtry and release was threaded. On inspection i was miffed to see that the screw is no longer than four mm and is just self tapped into plastic. Not very durable at all. So now i have had to glue the screw in place which leaves me with no tension adjustment. So i think that i shall now change to shimano , perhaps 105, or Ultegra. From what i see is that most of the Time RXS pedals are made like this now; composite plastic, with small metal parts just tapped into a plastic thread instead of a more durable metal thread. Not good at all. Anyone have any experiance of the shimano or speedplay pedals worth telling? cheers

nath1 said:
Hi all, been using time pedals for quite a while now. At the mo im using the new RXS models, lower end on my training bike higher on my race bike. Up to now i have been satisfied with the performance, amthought today i was not too happy to find that the small screw that adjusts the tension for enrtry and release was threaded. On inspection i was miffed to see that the screw is no longer than four mm and is just self tapped into plastic. Not very durable at all. So now i have had to glue the screw in place which leaves me with no tension adjustment. So i think that i shall now change to shimano , perhaps 105, or Ultegra. From what i see is that most of the Time RXS pedals are made like this now; composite plastic, with small metal parts just tapped into a plastic thread instead of a more durable metal thread. Not good at all. Anyone have any experiance of the shimano or speedplay pedals worth telling? cheers

I have been satisfied with Speedplay X-series for many years. I have not been plagued with the cleat problems that some users might complain of.

nath1 said:
Why not go back to Time Impact? You can find them for a fraction of the new price and they are VERY durable.

Had my dura-ace spd-sl for 2 years, not a squeak or shake in all this time,
still using orignal cleats, ride about 200km per week. Tension adjusting screw is recessed in the clip, so I can't tell if its tapped directly into the clip.

Also have the Dura Ace pedals (7800), and I love them. They have the best internal bearing design in my opinion. One that should last for years and years.