Beyond expectations

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Richard Adams, Jul 17, 2004.

  1. That Voeckler is a tough little nut, ain't he? Must be some super
    powers in that jersey.

    Tags:

  2. Michael

    Michael Guest

    "Richard Adams" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > That Voeckler is a tough little nut, ain't he? Must be some super
    > powers in that jersey.

    Historically, the jersey sometimes makes the man. It's
    kind of amazing.

    Mike

  3. On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 10:29:42 -0500, "Michael"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Richard Adams" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    >> That Voeckler is a tough little nut, ain't he? Must be some super
    >> powers in that jersey.

    >Historically, the jersey sometimes makes the man. It's
    >kind of amazing.

    His team is riding well too. Good for them.

    Looking at teams in this race, USPS is clearly the best prepared for a
    GC fight. CSC is perhaps the most dynamic and exciting, and Brioches
    La Boulangère must be really pleased.

    JT

  4. In article <[email protected]>,
    John Forrest Tomlinson <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 10:29:42 -0500, "Michael"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    > >"Richard Adams" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >news:[email protected]
    > >> That Voeckler is a tough little nut, ain't he? Must be some super
    > >> powers in that jersey.

    > >Historically, the jersey sometimes makes the man. It's
    > >kind of amazing.

    > His team is riding well too. Good for them.
    >
    > Looking at teams in this race, USPS is clearly the best prepared for a
    > GC fight. CSC is perhaps the most dynamic and exciting, and Brioches
    > La Boulangère must be really pleased.

    Well, the bakers have done an awful lot to vilify critics of the
    sometimes-dubious French team selections. They are not only riding well,
    they're doing interesting things. Voeckler finished 13th on today's
    stage, which is pretty much amazing considering how long he's been
    defending the yellow jersey.

    Now, can we all give R.A.G.T the award for worst team right now and go
    home? I can't even think of a rider of theirs who was involved in a
    serious escape, much less any other accomplishment.

    Their "GC rider":

    93. Sylvain Calzati (F), R.A.G.T. Semences-MG Rover, 1:18:35

    Oh, but he's doing much better in the race for the green jersey:

    35. Sylvain Calzati (F), R.A.G.T. Semences-MG Rover, 28 Pts.

    Er, King of the Mountains?

    38. Christophe Rinero (F), R.A.G.T. Semences-MG Rover, 5 Pts.

    Hm. Well, Calzati also qualifies for the young rider competition...

    14. Sylvain Calzati (F), R.A.G.T. Semences-MG Rover, 1:18:35
    (Never mind Voeckler, he's well behind Noval, and USPS doesn't even care
    about GC or the white jersey.

    Oh well, maybe the team competition?

    21. R.A.G.T. Semences-MG Rover, 3:45:05

    Well, Finot is only 14 minutes out of the Lanterne Rouge.

    One other question: Even the tour's official site doesn't have an
    overall classification for combativity. Is there one? Rasmussen won the
    funny numbers today. I just wanted to make my listing of RAGT futility
    complete.

    --
    Ryan Cousineau, [email protected] http://www.wiredcola.com
    President, Fabrizio Mazzoleni Fan Club

  5. curt

    curt Guest

    "Richard Adams" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > That Voeckler is a tough little nut, ain't he? Must be some super
    > powers in that jersey.

    He is impressive!!!

    Curt

  6. On 2004-07-17, Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:

    > One other question: Even the tour's official site doesn't have an
    > overall classification for combativity. Is there one? Rasmussen won the
    > funny numbers today. I just wanted to make my listing of RAGT futility
    > complete.

    Finot wore those numbers today. He kinda got it on the cheap though.

    --
    Stig Are M. Botterli
    [email protected]

  7. Jim Flom

    Jim Flom Guest

    "Ryan Cousineau" wrote ...

    > One other question: Even the tour's official site doesn't have an
    > overall classification for combativity. Is there one?

    Rules & Stakes, Article 25 describes the Most Aggressive Rider
    Classification:
    A r t i c l e 2 5 - Rankings
    a) GENERAL INDIVIDUAL TIME CLASSIFICATION
    The general individual time classification is determined by adding the times
    of each rider in the 21 stages, taking into account time bonuses and
    penalties.
    b)GENERAL INDIVIDUAL POINTS CLASSIFICATION
    The general individual points classification will be determined by adding
    the points obtained in the prologue and the individual stage classification,
    in accordance with the following scales and taking into account time
    penalties:
    c) BEST CLIMBER CLASSIFICATION
    The best climber classification is determined by adding the points won in
    all mountain and hill climbs, [...]
    d) YOUNG RIDERS CLASSIFICATION
    The young riders classification is open only to riders born after January
    1st 1979.
    e) GENERAL TEAM CLASSIFICATION
    The general team classification is determined by adding each team's best
    three individual times for the prologue and every stage.
    In the event of a tie in the general classification, the order of teams is
    determined based on the number of stage wins by team, then their number of
    second places, and so on until a number of places obtained by one of them
    enables them to be finally placed.
    A team reduced to fewer than 3 riders is eliminated from the general team
    classification.
    f) MOST AGGRESSIVE RIDER CLASSIFICATION
    This prize is awarded to the rider who displays the most effort and
    sportsmanship.The recipient of the most aggressive rider is decided on
    during the road racing stages by a panel chaired by the race manager.
    The general classification is determined by adding the points given by all
    members of the panel in each one of the road racing stages.
    In the event of a tie in the final general classification, the order is
    determined based on riders' placings in the general individual time
    classification.
    Competitors must finish the Tour de France in order to be placed in the most
    aggressive rider classification.

    JF

  8. curt wrote:

    > "Richard Adams" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>That Voeckler is a tough little nut, ain't he? Must be some super
    >>powers in that jersey.

    > He is impressive!!!
    >
    > Curt

    I'd swear I heard someone on today's ride utter under their breath: "And
    here goes Thomas Voeckler, total Cinderella story, out of no where,
    tears in his eyes as he crosses the finish on the Champs Elysee, the
    whole of France cheering wildly for this boy in his yellow jersey,
    unbelievable..."

  9. John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:

    > On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 10:29:42 -0500, "Michael"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>"Richard Adams" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    >>
    >>>That Voeckler is a tough little nut, ain't he? Must be some super
    >>>powers in that jersey.

    >>Historically, the jersey sometimes makes the man. It's
    >>kind of amazing.

    > His team is riding well too. Good for them.
    >
    > Looking at teams in this race, USPS is clearly the best prepared for a
    > GC fight. CSC is perhaps the most dynamic and exciting, and Brioches
    > La Boulangère must be really pleased.

    So... If you are Joseba Beloki, what are you thinking right now?

    If you're the sponsor of this brave little team, hopefully you are
    having some very serious second thoughts. If it weren't for that UCI
    Pro Tour crap, you'd be made.

  10. Richard Adams <[email protected]> writes:

    > curt wrote:
    >
    > > "Richard Adams" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]
    > >
    > >>That Voeckler is a tough little nut, ain't he? Must be some super
    > >>powers in that jersey.

    > > He is impressive!!!
    > > Curt

    > I'd swear I heard someone on today's ride utter under their breath:
    > "And here goes Thomas Voeckler, total Cinderella story, out of no
    > where, tears in his eyes as he crosses the finish on the Champs
    > Elysee, the whole of France cheering wildly for this boy in his yellow
    > jersey, unbelievable..."

    Well methinks the whole World minus the bassophiles and lanceophiles is
    cheering him on.

    He has enough moral support, and I'd love to see him in Yellow in Paris,
    but I just can't see it happening unless he can get into another
    double-digit break, which isn't about to happen either.

    Upon reflection though, and not to detract from his performance, I think
    his goose would have been cooked Friday without Spotted Dick encouraging
    him. That was probably worth more than the slim 22 second lead he has
    after stage 13.

  11. Mapei81

    Mapei81 Guest

    >Well methinks the whole World minus the bassophiles and lanceophiles is
    >cheering him on.

    Actually, the L-philes and B-philes are cheering him on, too. I was at the
    Tyler Hamilton Foundation showing today in the DC area, and no one got more
    support from the crowd than Voeckler. There was applause and cheers every time
    he came on camera.

    BTW, watching commerical-free (they ran the video feed without commentary when
    OLN went to break) was fantastic - and getting Phil and Paul without *any* Bob
    and Al was even better. A great way to wacth the stage.

  12. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Stig Are M. Botterli" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On 2004-07-17, Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > > One other question: Even the tour's official site doesn't have an
    > > overall classification for combativity. Is there one? Rasmussen won the
    > > funny numbers today. I just wanted to make my listing of RAGT futility
    > > complete.

    > Finot wore those numbers today. He kinda got it on the cheap though.

    Ah, thank you. So RAGT took a day of the combativity classification.
    Woo! Their tour goals are complete :).

    Anyone want to nominate the team that should have been in le Tour
    instead of RAGT?

    --
    Ryan Cousineau, [email protected] http://www.wiredcola.com
    President, Fabrizio Mazzoleni Fan Club

  13. Sonarrat

    Sonarrat Guest

    in article [email protected], Ryan Cousineau at
    [email protected] wrote on 7/18/04 12:21 AM:

    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > "Stig Are M. Botterli" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> On 2004-07-17, Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> One other question: Even the tour's official site doesn't have an
    >>> overall classification for combativity. Is there one? Rasmussen won the
    >>> funny numbers today. I just wanted to make my listing of RAGT futility
    >>> complete.

    >> Finot wore those numbers today. He kinda got it on the cheap though.

    > Ah, thank you. So RAGT took a day of the combativity classification.
    > Woo! Their tour goals are complete :).
    >
    > Anyone want to nominate the team that should have been in le Tour
    > instead of RAGT?

    God, where to start?

    Kelme. Lampre. De Nardi. Milaneza-Maia. Saunier Duval. Vini Caldirola.
    Chocolade Jacques. Relax-Bodysol. Hell, even Navigators would have done a
    better job than this piss-poor team could ever accomplish even if they had
    Bernard Hinault as the head honcho.

    -Sonarrat.

  14. Raptor

    Raptor Guest

    Richard Adams wrote:
    > That Voeckler is a tough little nut, ain't he? Must be some super
    > powers in that jersey.

    Unknown to most is the attention and care paid to the selection of the
    annual foil for the Lance Armstrong/USPS Goliath. Though last year's
    well-publicized hassles made the selection moot, each year Johan is
    assisted by a small army of soigneurs who catalog the pro ranks for
    riders who have grievously under-achieved, and/or show potential of
    being merely strong but not truly challenging.

    When it comes time to surrender the yellow jersey early in the Tour de
    France, Johan enters the numbers of each breakaway rider into his team
    car computer. Wireless internet connects to a bank of computers running
    statistical analysis back on the Nike campus in Washington. (This year
    AMD is the hardware sponsor.) The statistcal number-crunching is
    returned real-time to the team car, and the chase by USPS domestiques is
    turned on or off accordingly.

    In 2002, both Francios Simone and Stuart O'Grady came up as being
    acceptable yellow jersey wearers. This year, it was Thomas Voeckler. The
    geeks behind this effort, accounting for as much as 20% of the team's
    budget, have performed well.

    "We should not march into Baghdad. ... Assigning young soldiers to
    a fruitless hunt for a securely entrenched dictator and condemning
    them to fight in what would be an unwinnable urban guerilla war, it
    could only plunge that part of the world into ever greater
    instability." George Bush Sr. in his 1998 book "A World Transformed"

  15. Raptor

    Raptor Guest

    Davey wrote:
    > Well methinks the whole World minus the bassophiles and lanceophiles is
    > cheering him on.

    Why not them too? We know he's not going to win, but we want to see a
    good race.

    > He has enough moral support, and I'd love to see him in Yellow in Paris,
    > but I just can't see it happening unless he can get into another
    > double-digit break, which isn't about to happen either.

    Yep, you're dreaming.