BFA: Raw Deal for Commuters

cfsmtb

New Member
Apr 11, 2003
4,963
A bit of background, Kennet(t) removed workcover on work trips here in Victoria, now Fed Gov employees covered by Comcare are facing a similar issue. With the obvious increase in public interest with cycling for transport & health, why this backwards step *right now*? So do the Fed now prefer their employees to be in private cover and no financial onus on them?

Funny that.

*******

Bicycle Federation of Australia: Media Release - Raw Deal for Commuters
http://www.bfa.asn.au/bfanew/pdf/media/Raw deal for commuters_Feb 07.pdf

Employees of the Federal Government, its agencies and statutory authorities; Australia Post, and some private companies including Telstra will be dealt a reduction to their conditions of employment if amendments to the Comcare workers compensation scheme go through Federal Parliament.

The proposals would remove benefits for injuries sustained on a trip to or from work or at lunch-time. It would mean that employees covered by Comcare or self-insured under the Comcare scheme would receive no payment for loss of wages or medical expenses that they have been entitled to for many years.

“No commuter, whether they walk, catch a bus, drive or ride a bike, will be covered. A motorist who walks from a car park, trips, and fractures a wrist will not be covered. Motorists will be on their own if their injuries are not another driver’s fault. Nor will a person who comes off her bike and breaks a collar bone on her way to work,” said Peter Strang, spokesperson for the Bicycle Federation of Australia.

“The changes are being justified as cost savings,” Mr Strang said. “But it’s nothing more than cost shifting - to Medicare; to employees who’ll pay medical expenses and lose pay for time off work; or to third party motor accident insurers, who will pass it on to motorists.” Another reason given for the change is that employers have little control over staff travelling to work, and so cannot manage the risk.

“That’s also misleading,” said Mr Strang. “Does an OH&S officer sit in the back seat to give warnings to someone driving to a work meeting during the day?” The Bill to make the changes was introduced just before Parliament rose for the Christmas break. It was referred to a Senate Committee which conducted hearings in Melbourne last week and is due to report on 20 February.

The Committee declined to sit in Canberra, home to most of those affected, or in any other state capital. The changes run counter to other government measures to increase physical activity, in the face of growing levels of overweight and obese children and adults; and to use more sustainable transport modes to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.

Growing numbers of walkers and riders are building regular exercise into their daily commute. “These bicycle riders enjoy their healthy daily commute, arriving invigorated and ready for work,” Mr Strang said. “This brings benefits to employers; and to the government in the form of reduced sick leave and less expenditure on hospitals, doctors and medicines. These benefits are threatened by the proposed changes to Comcare.”

cfsmtb said:
A bit of background, Kennet(t) removed workcover on work trips here in Victoria, now Fed Gov employees covered by Comcare are facing a similar issue. With the obvious increase in public interest with cycling for transport & health, why this backwards step *right now*? So do the Fed now prefer their employees to be in private cover and no financial onus on them?

Funny that.

*******
WA has the same deal for its public employees - no cover on the journeys to and from work. In addition, public sector workcover in WA caps salary payments to relatively low salary levels. So, if you are injured at work and take time off you may not get your full pay. Another incentive to use your sick leave instead of making a workcover claim!

SteveA

On Feb 6, 6:31 am, cfsmtb <cfsmtb.2lk...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> [...]
> Senate Committee which conducted hearings in Melbourne last week and is
> due to report on 20 February.
>
> The Committee declined to sit in Canberra, home to most of those
> affected, or in any other state capital. The changes run counter to
> other government measures to increase physical activity, in the face of
> growing levels of overweight and obese children and adults; and to use
> more sustainable transport modes to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
>
> Growing numbers of walkers and riders are building regular exercise
> into their daily commute. "These bicycle riders enjoy their healthy
> daily commute, arriving invigorated and ready for work," Mr Strang
> said. "This brings benefits to employers; and to the government in the
> form of reduced sick leave and less expenditure on hospitals, doctors
> and medicines. These benefits are threatened by the proposed changes to

Our new OHS officer tells me he has data that shows significant
Workcover costs are attributed to cycling accidents to/from work. He
didn't have an answer for the costs that are attributed to NOT
cycling, but that doesn't change people's first conclusion. I might
add he is on-side with cycling, but wants to contribute to programs
that "make riding safer". My suggestion was to get more folk riding,
regardless of anything.

donga