BHARAT BECOMING A COUNTRY OF GUINEA PIGS

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Dr. Jai Maharaj, Jan 24, 2004.

  1. Is India becoming a country of guinea pigs?

    By Rema Nagarajan The Hindustan Times Saturday, January 24, 2004

    Indraprasth, January 24 - Is India becoming a country of guinea pigs? Even as reports surface of
    illegal tests being done on Indians -- last week HT reported how illegal tests were conducted on
    790 Indian women -- the pharma fraternity is excited about the boom in outsourcing of clinical
    trials to India.

    The same low-cost, high-skills advantage that is driving IT jobs to India is helping the medical
    tests outsourcing market. A vast gene pool helps too. Statistics compiled by the Organisation of
    Pharmaceutical Producers of India indicate that the clinical trials sector in India has burgeoned
    into a $70 million market, and is growing at a brisk pace.

    This would be welcome, but the illegal tests have cast a shadow. Patients had not consented to being
    guinea pigs, and did not know they were being given medicines of unknown efficacy. Will this happen
    to more people?

    Pharma giants such as Pfizer that invest millions of dollars a year on clinical trials in India
    dismiss such a possibility.

    “The outsourcing of clinical trials could mean a huge source of foreign exchange for India. Just a
    few isolated incidents of controversy over drug trials should not be allowed to deprive the country
    of such a major opportunity. It is the smaller companies and fly-by-night operators that try
    shortcuts,” says
    A. Krishna of Pfizer.

    Analysts believe the clinical studies market could increase to $300-500 million by 2010. Another
    market forecast places the value in 2008 at $200 million and an eye-popping $1 billion if further
    incentives are introduced.

    Dr S.K. Gupta, head of the pharmacology department at AIIMS say that there has been a sharp increase
    in the number of proposals for clinical trials.

    The office of the Drug Controller General of India estimates that over 250 clinical trials are going
    on in the country. Pfizer alone has doubled its clinical research investment in India over six to
    seven years. Its total cumulative investment in India is around $13 million.

    Health secretary J.V.R. Prasada Rao says new laws are being framed. “Today what we have are
    guidelines for clinical trials. Now these will be converted into legislation and once that is in
    place there will be specific offences and penalty for violations,” he says.

    The question mark hangs over implementation. “We have a legislation to regulate organ transplant
    too, and yet the poor are being exploited. So how far can legislation protect poor patients?”
    asks a doctor.

    Testing territory

    Lower costs: Development of new drug costs up to $1 billion in West. In India, half that

    Patient bank: With a billion plus people, no dearth of patients with various diseases

    Vast gene pool: Testing drugs on various ethnic groups can determine how drugs work

    More at: http://hindustantimes.com/news/181_546779,00050003.htm

    Jai Maharaj http://www.mantra.com/jai Om Shanti

    Panchaang for 3 Maagh 5104, Saturday, January 24, 2004:

    Shubhanu Nama Samvatsare Uttarayane Moksha Ritau Makara Mase Shukl Pakshe Manta Vasara Yuktayam Shatabhish-
    Poorvaprostapad Nakshatr Variyan-Parigh Yog Vanij-Vishti Karan Chaturthi Yam Tithau

    Hindu Holocaust Museum http://www.mantra.com/holocaust

    Hindu life, principles, spirituality and philosophy http://www.hindu.org http://www.hindunet.org

    The truth about Islam and Muslims http://www.flex.com/~jai/satyamevajayate

    o Not for commercial use. Solely to be fairly used for the educational purposes of research and
    open discussion. The contents of this post may not have been authored by, and do not
    necessarily represent the opinion of the poster. The contents are protected by copyright law
    and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works. o If you send private e-mail to me, it
    will likely not be read, considered or answered if it does not contain your full legal name,
    current e-mail and postal addresses, and live-voice telephone number. o Posted for information
    and discussion. Views expressed by others are not necessarily those of the poster.

    Tags:

  2. Snoopy

    Snoopy Guest

    Johnny Judas Jay "the jackass jyotishit" Maharaj wrote:

    > Is India becoming a country of guinea pigs?

    http://www.ban.org/Library/BHAVNAGAR.PDF

    Last December1999 the Greenpeace flagship Rainbow Warrior sailed into the Gulf of Cambay to draw
    world‘s attention at environmentally hazardous shipbreaking practices and abysmal working
    condition in the Alang-Sosya and Mumbai shipbreaking yards.

    The victims Our fact-finding missions to shipbreaking yards in India, China and Philippines and
    exploratory visit to Bangladesh indicate a common trend of hazardous waste dumping and poor working
    condition for workers.

    Here in India for example, we documented the tens of thousands of young men who endure hard physical
    labor in permanent danger for 1 or 2 dollars a day are largely migrant workers. Not registered by
    name, they are difficult to identify. They work in shifts, in highly cramped conditions and mostly
    without adequate safety equipment. An average of 360 deaths a year is reported from Alang alone, the
    world’s biggest ships’ graveyard. The causes of death are explosions, fire, suffocation and falling
    steel beams and plates. We have seen people picking asbestos-containing insulation materials from
    ships with their bare hands. We have seen dozens of workers torch-cutting ship steel into small
    pieces, inhaling the toxic fumes of lead paints with no protection at all. We have seen women
    carrying asbestos wastes on their heads to dump them in the sea. Through out the shipyards we
    visited the workers have no information regarding the hazardous materials there are handling or the
    safety measurers such environment requires. Unprotected handling of the identified toxic substances
    have long been known to cause a wide range of complaints. For example: Asbestos dust causes
    formation of scar-like tissue resulting in permanent breathing difficulties (asbestosis). In the
    longer term, cancer of the lungs and of the thin membrane surrounding these organs (mesothelioma)
    may result. Lead accumulates in the blood and bones after inhalation or ingestion. It can cause
    anemia and is toxic to the nervous system and to the kidneys. Arsenic exposure can result in lung,
    skin, intestinal, kidney, liver and bladder cancers. It can also cause damage to blood vessels.
    Inflammation of nervous tissue caused by arsenic can result in loss of feeling or paralysis.
    Disfiguring growths may also appear on the skin of exposed humans. Chromium contained in some chrome-
    based chemicals (chromates) can cause eczema and respiratory disease in people exposed to dusts and
    fumes, including cancer of the lung. Organotins (TBT, TBTO and TBTCL) are nerve toxins that
    accumulate in the blood, liver, kidneys and brain. TBTO is acutely poisonous, and is also genotoxic.
    In shellfish, organotins affect the endocrine (hormone-producing) system causing damage to
    reproduction. PAHs (polycyclic-aromatic hydrocarbon compounds) can cause various cancers including
    cancer of the lung and of the scrotum. Some PAHs can combine with genetic material (DNA) causing
    cell damage and mutations. Exposure can also suppress the immune system. Dioxins are potent
    carcinogens and suppressors of the immune system and are accumulated in body fat tissue. In addition
    they are suspected of prenatal and postnatal effects on the nervous system of children. In animal
    studies they have been shown to reduce sperm production. In the light of the scientific data
    available there should be no doubt that ships from the 1970s containing maximum levels of hazardous
    substances. These ships are now being cut up in the inter-tidal zones of Asian beaches without any
    safety or environmental precautions. All ship-owners and operators have a hand in this fatal
    business. Some admit that conditions in India are “unacceptable“ and are now looking to China.

  3. lk

    lk Guest

    How the hell is it that hot food burns on the way out? How is it that we can taste heat with
    our anuses?

    I ask this because I recently ate some very hot chilli and the next day it burned when I pooped.
    I've noticed this before, as have many other people I know. It doesn't burn when it's in your large
    intestine, only during actual egress. There are some sort of limited tastebuds on the butthole? Why
    don't we taste other flavors of poop in this manner? Is there a training regimen for developing a
    better sense of taste there?

  4. [email protected] writes:

    >How the hell is it that hot food burns on the way out? How is it that we can taste heat with
    >our anuses?

    Heat's not *tasted* really. It's felt, with the capsAIcin BINDing to the reCEPtors and HEY it's
    BURNing, m-hey!

    Mucus membranes such as the butthole are good at picking up the burn. Similar places you'll feel it
    if it gets on ya are the eyes (ouch), the inside of the nose (ouch) and the genitals (OUCH) but
    yeah. Supposedly there's a Hungarian saying that good paprika burns twice. Actually the saying is
    something like "Czprkxsny fxzya vagyshr," which means "OW OW OW MY MOUTH IS FULL OF HOT PAPRIKA".

    >I ask this because I recently ate some very hot chilli and the next day it burned when I pooped.
    >I've noticed this before, as have many other people I know.

    They're probably too close to you.

    >It doesn't burn when it's in your large intestine, only during actual egress. There are some sort
    >of limited tastebuds on the butthole? Why don't we taste other flavors of poop in this manner?

    Because that would be TOO HORRIBLE and we would ALL DIE rather than reproduce.

    --
    "PS. Please take note of the fact that, in conformity with the regulations of this office, all
    information contained in the above letter is false, for reasons of military security."

  5. [email protected] (Joseph Michael Bay) writes:

    > [email protected] writes:

    [...]

    > >Why don't we taste other flavors of poop in this manner?
    >
    > Because that would be TOO HORRIBLE and we would ALL DIE rather than reproduce.

    Then we had better do so, and decrease the surplus population.

    --
    John Stone| the Dungeon Master (DM) | We are asked to believe that ----------+ demands an all-
    encompassing | Madonna ... doesn't attract and total loyalty, control and | a crowd ... of

  6. lk

    lk Guest

    [email protected] (Joseph Michael Bay) writes:

    > [email protected] writes:
    >

    > >How the hell is it that hot food burns on the way out? How is it that we can taste heat with our
    > >anuses?
    >
    > Heat's not *tasted* really. It's felt, with the capsAIcin BINDing to the reCEPtors and HEY it's
    > BURNing, m-hey!
    >
    > Mucus membranes such as the butthole are good at picking up the burn. Similar places you'll feel
    > it if it gets on ya are the eyes (ouch), the inside of the nose (ouch) and the genitals (OUCH)
    > but yeah.

    But the intestines and rectum aren't mucous membranes, then? Why is the burning only during the act
    of pqqping and not during digestion?

  7. <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > How the hell is it that hot food burns on the way out? How is it that we can taste heat with
    > our anuses?

    In Surrey, they call this Vindaloo Ring Sting. Possibly in other parts of Engurland also. It gets
    less painful the more spicy food you eat. Maybe due to anal numbage.

    > I ask this because I recently ate some very hot chilli and the next day it burned when I pooped.
    > I've noticed this before, as have many other people I know. It doesn't burn when it's in your
    > large intestine, only during actual egress. There are some sort of limited tastebuds on the
    > butthole? Why don't we taste other flavors of poop in this manner? Is there a training regimen for
    > developing a better sense of taste there?

    Heat != taste. If you've ever rubbed your eyes after cutting jalapeño, or touched it to a cut, you
    will feel a similar sensation. I personally have never tasted any type of poop.

    --
    This has been a BBD Production
    Stay tuned for the Big Black News

  8. [email protected] wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > [email protected] (Joseph Michael Bay) writes:
    >
    > > [email protected] writes:
    > >

    > > >How the hell is it that hot food burns on the way out? How is it that we can taste heat with
    > > >our anuses?
    > >
    > > Heat's not *tasted* really. It's felt, with the capsAIcin BINDing to the reCEPtors and HEY it's
    > > BURNing, m-hey!
    > >
    > > Mucus membranes such as the butthole are good at picking up the burn. Similar places you'll feel
    > > it if it gets on ya are the eyes (ouch), the inside of the nose (ouch) and the genitals (OUCH)
    > > but yeah.
    >
    > But the intestines and rectum aren't mucous membranes, then? Why is the burning only during the
    > act of pqqping and not during digestion?

    COMMENT:

    Fair enough question. And the answer is that the anus (not the whole rectum) has receptors for hot
    and cold and touch that the rest of your gut doesn't, until you get to the throat at the other end.
    About an inch into the anus the type of tissue changes, and much beyond that the only sensations
    available are what the rest of your intestines are sensitive to, which is basically only pressure
    and pain. BTW the same is true for the vagina, and again is associated with a marked change in type
    of receptor as "internal organ" type tissue makes a transition to "external orifice and skin" type
    tissues (I'll spare you the medical names). These types of tissues have different embryonic origins
    to go with their different enervations.

    Now, it's not quite true that the interior gut is totally free of substance P type receptors which
    interact with capsaicin. Very hot foods eaten will produce a vague feeling of internal warmth,
    though usually no pain (until getting the other end <g>). There is some speculation that this causes
    a release of endorphins without the "penalty" of the real pain that is produced with pepper spray to
    the eyes or mouth. Perhaps one of the hidden attractions of spicy-hot foods.

    There is a story of a man who is being immersian-taught Mexican culture. His hosts feed him very
    hot peppers.

    "Ow!" He says. "Water!!"

    "No," his hosts tell him. "Tortillas and salt will work better for the pain. But you have to ask us
    to bring them to you, in Spanish. ¡Aye! ¡Tráigame las tortillas y las sal!"

    So the guy does, and they do, and it works, and he survives.

    But next day, his hosts hear a sudden scream from the bathroom: ¡Aye! ¡Tráigame las tortillas
    y las sal!

    SBH

  9. Kerri

    Kerri Guest

    In alt.religion.kibology Steve Harris [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:

    > the anus (not the whole rectum) has receptors for hot and cold and touch that the rest of your gut
    > doesn't, until you get to the throat at the other end.

    Steve? Is that you? Didn't we go out that one time?

    --kerri

  10. Tim Serpas

    Tim Serpas Guest

    kerri <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> the anus (not the whole rectum) has receptors for hot and cold and touch that the rest of your
    >> gut doesn't, until you get to the throat at the other end.
    >
    >Steve? Is that you? Didn't we go out that one time?

    Sounds like a date to remember.

    Wretch