BHARAT BECOMING A COUNTRY OF GUINEA PIGS

Dr. Jai Maharaj

Guest
Is India becoming a country of guinea pigs?

By Rema Nagarajan The Hindustan Times Saturday, January 24, 2004

Indraprasth, January 24 - Is India becoming a country of guinea pigs? Even as reports surface of
illegal tests being done on Indians -- last week HT reported how illegal tests were conducted on
790 Indian women -- the pharma fraternity is excited about the boom in outsourcing of clinical
trials to India.

The same low-cost, high-skills advantage that is driving IT jobs to India is helping the medical
tests outsourcing market. A vast gene pool helps too. Statistics compiled by the Organisation of
Pharmaceutical Producers of India indicate that the clinical trials sector in India has burgeoned
into a $70 million market, and is growing at a brisk pace.

This would be welcome, but the illegal tests have cast a shadow. Patients had not consented to being
guinea pigs, and did not know they were being given medicines of unknown efficacy. Will this happen
to more people?

Pharma giants such as Pfizer that invest millions of dollars a year on clinical trials in India
dismiss such a possibility.

“The outsourcing of clinical trials could mean a huge source of foreign exchange for India. Just a
few isolated incidents of controversy over drug trials should not be allowed to deprive the country
of such a major opportunity. It is the smaller companies and fly-by-night operators that try
shortcuts,” says
A. Krishna of Pfizer.

Analysts believe the clinical studies market could increase to $300-500 million by 2010. Another
market forecast places the value in 2008 at $200 million and an eye-popping $1 billion if further
incentives are introduced.

Dr S.K. Gupta, head of the pharmacology department at AIIMS say that there has been a sharp increase
in the number of proposals for clinical trials.

The office of the Drug Controller General of India estimates that over 250 clinical trials are going
on in the country. Pfizer alone has doubled its clinical research investment in India over six to
seven years. Its total cumulative investment in India is around $13 million.

Health secretary J.V.R. Prasada Rao says new laws are being framed. “Today what we have are
guidelines for clinical trials. Now these will be converted into legislation and once that is in
place there will be specific offences and penalty for violations,” he says.

The question mark hangs over implementation. “We have a legislation to regulate organ transplant
too, and yet the poor are being exploited. So how far can legislation protect poor patients?”
asks a doctor.

Testing territory

Lower costs: Development of new drug costs up to $1 billion in West. In India, half that

Patient bank: With a billion plus people, no dearth of patients with various diseases

Vast gene pool: Testing drugs on various ethnic groups can determine how drugs work

More at: http://hindustantimes.com/news/181_546779,00050003.htm

Jai Maharaj http://www.mantra.com/jai Om Shanti

Panchaang for 3 Maagh 5104, Saturday, January 24, 2004:

Shubhanu Nama Samvatsare Uttarayane Moksha Ritau Makara Mase Shukl Pakshe Manta Vasara Yuktayam Shatabhish-
Poorvaprostapad Nakshatr Variyan-Parigh Yog Vanij-Vishti Karan Chaturthi Yam Tithau

Hindu Holocaust Museum http://www.mantra.com/holocaust

Hindu life, principles, spirituality and philosophy http://www.hindu.org http://www.hindunet.org

The truth about Islam and Muslims http://www.flex.com/~jai/satyamevajayate

o Not for commercial use. Solely to be fairly used for the educational purposes of research and
open discussion. The contents of this post may not have been authored by, and do not
necessarily represent the opinion of the poster. The contents are protected by copyright law
and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works. o If you send private e-mail to me, it
will likely not be read, considered or answered if it does not contain your full legal name,
current e-mail and postal addresses, and live-voice telephone number. o Posted for information
and discussion. Views expressed by others are not necessarily those of the poster.

Johnny Judas Jay "the jackass jyotishit" Maharaj wrote:

> Is India becoming a country of guinea pigs?

http://www.ban.org/Library/BHAVNAGAR.PDF

Last December1999 the Greenpeace flagship Rainbow Warrior sailed into the Gulf of Cambay to draw
world‘s attention at environmentally hazardous shipbreaking practices and abysmal working
condition in the Alang-Sosya and Mumbai shipbreaking yards.

The victims Our fact-finding missions to shipbreaking yards in India, China and Philippines and
exploratory visit to Bangladesh indicate a common trend of hazardous waste dumping and poor working
condition for workers.

Here in India for example, we documented the tens of thousands of young men who endure hard physical
labor in permanent danger for 1 or 2 dollars a day are largely migrant workers. Not registered by
name, they are difficult to identify. They work in shifts, in highly cramped conditions and mostly
without adequate safety equipment. An average of 360 deaths a year is reported from Alang alone, the
world’s biggest ships’ graveyard. The causes of death are explosions, fire, suffocation and falling
steel beams and plates. We have seen people picking asbestos-containing insulation materials from
ships with their bare hands. We have seen dozens of workers torch-cutting ship steel into small
pieces, inhaling the toxic fumes of lead paints with no protection at all. We have seen women
carrying asbestos wastes on their heads to dump them in the sea. Through out the shipyards we
visited the workers have no information regarding the hazardous materials there are handling or the
safety measurers such environment requires. Unprotected handling of the identified toxic substances
have long been known to cause a wide range of complaints. For example: Asbestos dust causes
formation of scar-like tissue resulting in permanent breathing difficulties (asbestosis). In the
longer term, cancer of the lungs and of the thin membrane surrounding these organs (mesothelioma)
may result. Lead accumulates in the blood and bones after inhalation or ingestion. It can cause
anemia and is toxic to the nervous system and to the kidneys. Arsenic exposure can result in lung,
skin, intestinal, kidney, liver and bladder cancers. It can also cause damage to blood vessels.
Inflammation of nervous tissue caused by arsenic can result in loss of feeling or paralysis.
Disfiguring growths may also appear on the skin of exposed humans. Chromium contained in some chrome-
based chemicals (chromates) can cause eczema and respiratory disease in people exposed to dusts and
fumes, including cancer of the lung. Organotins (TBT, TBTO and TBTCL) are nerve toxins that
accumulate in the blood, liver, kidneys and brain. TBTO is acutely poisonous, and is also genotoxic.
In shellfish, organotins affect the endocrine (hormone-producing) system causing damage to
reproduction. PAHs (polycyclic-aromatic hydrocarbon compounds) can cause various cancers including
cancer of the lung and of the scrotum. Some PAHs can combine with genetic material (DNA) causing
cell damage and mutations. Exposure can also suppress the immune system. Dioxins are potent
carcinogens and suppressors of the immune system and are accumulated in body fat tissue. In addition
they are suspected of prenatal and postnatal effects on the nervous system of children. In animal
studies they have been shown to reduce sperm production. In the light of the scientific data
available there should be no doubt that ships from the 1970s containing maximum levels of hazardous
substances. These ships are now being cut up in the inter-tidal zones of Asian beaches without any
safety or environmental precautions. All ship-owners and operators have a hand in this fatal
business. Some admit that conditions in India are “unacceptable“ and are now looking to China.

How the hell is it that hot food burns on the way out? How is it that we can taste heat with
our anuses?

I ask this because I recently ate some very hot chilli and the next day it burned when I pooped.
I've noticed this before, as have many other people I know. It doesn't burn when it's in your large
intestine, only during actual egress. There are some sort of limited tastebuds on the butthole? Why
don't we taste other flavors of **** in this manner? Is there a training regimen for developing a
better sense of taste there?

[email protected] writes:

>How the hell is it that hot food burns on the way out? How is it that we can taste heat with
>our anuses?

Heat's not *tasted* really. It's felt, with the capsAIcin BINDing to the reCEPtors and HEY it's
BURNing, m-hey!

Mucus membranes such as the butthole are good at picking up the burn. Similar places you'll feel it
if it gets on ya are the eyes (ouch), the inside of the nose (ouch) and the genitals (OUCH) but
yeah. Supposedly there's a Hungarian saying that good paprika burns twice. Actually the saying is
something like "Czprkxsny fxzya vagyshr," which means "OW OW OW MY MOUTH IS FULL OF HOT PAPRIKA".

>I ask this because I recently ate some very hot chilli and the next day it burned when I pooped.
>I've noticed this before, as have many other people I know.

They're probably too close to you.

>It doesn't burn when it's in your large intestine, only during actual egress. There are some sort
>of limited tastebuds on the butthole? Why don't we taste other flavors of **** in this manner?

Because that would be TOO HORRIBLE and we would ALL DIE rather than reproduce.

--
"PS. Please take note of the fact that, in conformity with the regulations of this office, all
information contained in the above letter is false, for reasons of military security."

[email protected] (Joseph Michael Bay) writes:

> [email protected] writes:

[...]

> >Why don't we taste other flavors of **** in this manner?
>
> Because that would be TOO HORRIBLE and we would ALL DIE rather than reproduce.

Then we had better do so, and decrease the surplus population.

--
John Stone| the Dungeon Master (DM) | We are asked to believe that ----------+ demands an all-
encompassing | Madonna ... doesn't attract and total loyalty, control and | a crowd ... of

[email protected] (Joseph Michael Bay) writes:

> [email protected] writes:
>

> >How the hell is it that hot food burns on the way out? How is it that we can taste heat with our
> >anuses?
>
> Heat's not *tasted* really. It's felt, with the capsAIcin BINDing to the reCEPtors and HEY it's
> BURNing, m-hey!
>
> Mucus membranes such as the butthole are good at picking up the burn. Similar places you'll feel
> it if it gets on ya are the eyes (ouch), the inside of the nose (ouch) and the genitals (OUCH)
> but yeah.

But the intestines and rectum aren't mucous membranes, then? Why is the burning only during the act
of pqqping and not during digestion?

> How the hell is it that hot food burns on the way out? How is it that we can taste heat with
> our anuses?

In Surrey, they call this Vindaloo Ring Sting. Possibly in other parts of Engurland also. It gets
less painful the more spicy food you eat. Maybe due to anal numbage.

> I ask this because I recently ate some very hot chilli and the next day it burned when I pooped.
> I've noticed this before, as have many other people I know. It doesn't burn when it's in your
> large intestine, only during actual egress. There are some sort of limited tastebuds on the
> butthole? Why don't we taste other flavors of **** in this manner? Is there a training regimen for
> developing a better sense of taste there?

Heat != taste. If you've ever rubbed your eyes after cutting jalapeño, or touched it to a cut, you
will feel a similar sensation. I personally have never tasted any type of ****.

--
This has been a BBD Production
Stay tuned for the Big Black News

> [email protected] (Joseph Michael Bay) writes:
>
> > [email protected] writes:
> >

> > >How the hell is it that hot food burns on the way out? How is it that we can taste heat with
> > >our anuses?
> >
> > Heat's not *tasted* really. It's felt, with the capsAIcin BINDing to the reCEPtors and HEY it's
> > BURNing, m-hey!
> >
> > Mucus membranes such as the butthole are good at picking up the burn. Similar places you'll feel
> > it if it gets on ya are the eyes (ouch), the inside of the nose (ouch) and the genitals (OUCH)
> > but yeah.
>
> But the intestines and rectum aren't mucous membranes, then? Why is the burning only during the
> act of pqqping and not during digestion?

COMMENT:

Fair enough question. And the answer is that the anus (not the whole rectum) has receptors for hot
and cold and touch that the rest of your gut doesn't, until you get to the throat at the other end.
About an inch into the anus the type of tissue changes, and much beyond that the only sensations
available are what the rest of your intestines are sensitive to, which is basically only pressure
and pain. BTW the same is true for the vagina, and again is associated with a marked change in type
of receptor as "internal organ" type tissue makes a transition to "external orifice and skin" type
tissues (I'll spare you the medical names). These types of tissues have different embryonic origins
to go with their different enervations.

Now, it's not quite true that the interior gut is totally free of substance P type receptors which
interact with capsaicin. Very hot foods eaten will produce a vague feeling of internal warmth,
though usually no pain (until getting the other end <g>). There is some speculation that this causes
a release of endorphins without the "penalty" of the real pain that is produced with pepper spray to
the eyes or mouth. Perhaps one of the hidden attractions of spicy-hot foods.

There is a story of a man who is being immersian-taught Mexican culture. His hosts feed him very
hot peppers.

"Ow!" He says. "Water!!"

"No," his hosts tell him. "Tortillas and salt will work better for the pain. But you have to ask us
to bring them to you, in Spanish. ¡Aye! ¡Tráigame las tortillas y las sal!"

So the guy does, and they do, and it works, and he survives.

But next day, his hosts hear a sudden scream from the bathroom: ¡Aye! ¡Tráigame las tortillas
y las sal!

SBH

In alt.religion.kibology Steve Harris [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:

> the anus (not the whole rectum) has receptors for hot and cold and touch that the rest of your gut
> doesn't, until you get to the throat at the other end.

Steve? Is that you? Didn't we go out that one time?

--kerri

kerri <[email protected]> wrote:
>> the anus (not the whole rectum) has receptors for hot and cold and touch that the rest of your
>> gut doesn't, until you get to the throat at the other end.
>
>Steve? Is that you? Didn't we go out that one time?

Sounds like a date to remember.

Wretch