BHIT chasing ambulances again - calls for MHL for under 14

Colin Nelson wrote on 16/11/2006 10:08 +0100:
> "Dave Larrington" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> In news:[email protected],
>> Danny Colyer <[email protected]> tweaked the Babbage-Engine
>>> Martin Dann wrote:>
>>> I'm just wondering which cartoon character would be most likely to
>>> sign it.

>> So far there's Wile E. Coyote, Mickey Mouse, Michael Mouse, Fat Eric and
>> Bill Clinton :)
>>

> Lance Armstrong just paid a visit !

I like Mr Magoo whoever that was.

Mr Magoo: I was just reading today of the amazing figures for cycle
helmet efficacy. I had the wrong glasses on and it turned out I was
reading my shopping receipt from Tesco, but that's got to be just as good!

--
Tony

- Leonardo da Vinci

Martin Dann wrote:

> Would it be worth starting online petitions against compulsory helmet
> laws for any age group.

Or against letting 7 year old children ride bikes set up for their 12
year old brother.

Iain

MartinM wrote:

> dkahn400 wrote:

> > By an oversight they seem to have left <www.cyclehelmets.org> off their
> > links page.

> they have the same number of links as http://www.cyclehelmets.org, and
> as expected almost diametrically opposed.

Except that cyclehelmets.org does include a link to BHIT.

--
Dave...

Response to dkahn400:
> > > By an oversight they seem to have left <www.cyclehelmets.org> off their
> > > links page.

> > they have the same number of links as http://www.cyclehelmets.org, and
> > as expected almost diametrically opposed.

> Except that cyclehelmets.org does include a link to BHIT.

As the good Doctor said, "Fraud and falsehood only dread examination.
Truth invites it."

--
Mark, UK
"It doesn't mean anything! It's like 'ramalamadingdong' or 'give peace a

In article <[email protected]>
Jane <[email protected]> wrote:
<snip>
> I agree but did you know that for HORSE riding the law states that an
> under 14 must ware at least a cycle hat!
> If they don't protect your head when falling from aprox standing hight
> how are they gonna help of a horse, esp when there are perfectly good
> specific hats for horse riding.

I think they might afford a degree of protection when falling from
standing height, but we generally don't need it because our skulls and
reflexes have evolved so that sort of fall is unlikely to result in
serious head injury anyway. As soon as you add a moving vehicle
(especially a tonne of metal moving at 40mph) to the equation all bets
are off whether you use a helmet or not.

"Danny Colyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Martin Dann wrote:
>> I watched this and saw that they have an online petition for a compulsory
>> helmet law for under 14s.

> If you look at the website, it's actually for "Compulsary [sic] Cycle
> Helmets for Children":
> <url:http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?p4hpet&1>
>
> I'm just wondering which cartoon character would be most likely to sign it

A certain "Toad" of "Toad Hall" apparently!

On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 18:49:27 -0000 someone who may be Rob Morley
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>I think they might afford a degree of protection when falling from
>standing height, but we generally don't need it because our skulls and
>reflexes have evolved so that sort of fall is unlikely to result in
>serious head injury anyway.

In addition cycle helmets are designed for a vertical fall onto a
hard object. Unless one is an athlete it is difficult to fall this
way if one starts standing up. Normally, whether on foot or bike, if
anything hits other then the shoulders/arm it will be the side of
the head.

However, if one falls off a horse, though not a pony, one may end up
going vertically downwards before the top of one's head is arrested
by the ground. Thus wearing a helmet on a horse may have some
advantages over wearing one on a bike.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh