BHit Getting Defensive

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by ]Not Responding, Feb 27, 2004.

  1. Bhit seem to have been a bit put out by something and have replaced
    their front page with this:

    "You may be aware that a Private Member’s Bill is currently passing through Parliament. The
    enactment of the Bill will make the wearing of helmets mandatory for all children riding bicycles.
    We entirely endorse and support this Bill as it helps ensure the safety and well being of children.

    It has come to our attention that we are being quoted out of context on a number of websites
    attempting to demonstrate their opposition to helmet wearing.

    The following links will direct you to websites, which detail the efficacy of helmets from
    independent organisations. All the research is peer vetted and none based on opinion from an
    individual or group...."

    I wonder who's put the wind up 'em?

    Tags:

  2. > Bhit seem to have been a bit put out by something and have replaced
    > their front page with this:

    Was having a look at the websites they listed. The American counterpart seems to survive on $12,000
    of donated money a year, and with volunteers donating their time. BHIT on the other hand has
    swallowed how much public money?!?!

    On another, clicked on a link to: http://www.capt.org.uk/pdfs/factsheet%20cycle.doc

    Under 'how can cycling be made safer for children' doesn't mention training at all! It mentions
    cycle lanes, speed restrictions, traffic calming schemes, safety gear, bright clothing, checking the
    bike and saddle height. Completely forgets about a cycling proficiency test or similar! Ho hum.

  3. Mark Thompson wrote:
    >>Bhit seem to have been a bit put out by something and have replaced their front page with this:
    >
    > Was having a look at the websites they listed. ...
    >
    > On another, clicked on a link to: http://www.capt.org.uk/pdfs/factsheet%20cycle.doc
    >
    > Under 'how can cycling be made safer for children' doesn't mention training at all! It mentions
    > cycle lanes, speed restrictions, traffic calming schemes, safety gear, bright clothing,
    > checking the bike and saddle height. Completely forgets about a cycling proficiency test or
    > similar! Ho hum.

    I emailed CAPT (Child Accident Prevention Trust) a few weeks ago inquiring how helmets prevent
    accidents. I got a very ratty reply because I also said in so many words that BHIT were lying about
    the benefits of helmets. There was no reply to my main point.

    Colin McKenzie

  4. Just zis Guy

    Just zis Guy Guest

    On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 18:05:59 +0000, "[Not Responding]"
    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    <[email protected]>:

    >Bhit seem to have been a bit put out by something and have replaced their front page with this:

    Angie Lee already knows my name - who feels like emailing them to ask why they haven't included
    http://www.cyclehelmets.org or http://www.cycle-helmets.com, both of which give the more balanced
    information which BHIT's status as a registered charity obliges them to provide?

    --
    Guy
    ===

  5. Just zis Guy

    Just zis Guy Guest

    On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 18:55:55 -0000, "Mark Thompson"
    <[email protected] (change warm for hot)> wrote in
    message <[email protected]>:

    >Was having a look at the websites they listed. The American counterpart seems to survive on $12,000
    >of donated money a year, and with volunteers donating their time.

    And a wodge from Bell, I'm told.

    --
    Guy
    ===

  6. Just zis Guy

    <[email protected]>:

    >All the research is peer vetted and none based on opinion from an individual or group...."

    Unlike Lee & Mann's leading article in J. Dis. Child, which was long on personal opinion and notably
    short on facts.

    Note: one of the links is to <url:http://www.bhsi.org> - this is the same BHIS addressed here:
    <url:http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/Web/public.nsf/Documents/BHSI> - note their quote:

    "We are aware of the second study, but by the time it appeared the 85% figure was so deeply
    ingrained in the injury prevention community that a change will not be helpful. I regard any similar
    numbers published in those or other studies as approximations anyway. Over the years observation of
    who gets head-injured and who does not seems to support the 85% number. So we have left it up that
    way. We do have references to the later study for those who need more"

    So, not so much peer-reviewed as "don't confuse them with the facts."

    --
    Guy
    ===

  7. JohnB

    JohnB Guest

    "Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote:

    > On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 18:05:59 +0000, "[Not Responding]" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > message <[email protected]>:
    >
    > >Bhit seem to have been a bit put out by something and have replaced their front page with this:
    >
    > Angie Lee already knows my name - who feels like emailing them to ask why they haven't included
    > http://www.cyclehelmets.org or http://www.cycle-helmets.com, both of which give the more balanced
    > information which BHIT's status as a registered charity obliges them to provide?

    I don't think they are *obliged* to give balanced information just because they are a charity,
    otherwise Roadpeace should also be putting the case for lower penalties for drivers who kill. It
    would be illogical.

    Nevertheless I certainly think very strong representations need to be made about the sources of
    their funding and how it is being used.

    John B

  8. Pip

    Pip Guest

    [Not Responding] wrote: ...
    > All the research is peer vetted and none based on opinion from an individual or group...."

    It's nice to see they admit that all the research is perverted.

    Pip

  9. Gawnsoft

    Gawnsoft Guest

    On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 23:00:21 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
    <[email protected]> wrote (more or less):

    >On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 18:05:59 +0000, "[Not Responding]" <[email protected]> wrote in
    >message <[email protected]>:
    >
    >>All the research is peer vetted and none based on opinion from an individual or group...."
    >
    >Unlike Lee & Mann's leading article in J. Dis. Child, which was long on personal opinion and
    >notably short on facts.
    >
    >Note: one of the links is to <url:http://www.bhsi.org> - this is the same BHIS addressed here:
    > <url:http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/Web/public.nsf/Documents/BHSI> - note their quote:
    >
    >"We are aware of the second study, but by the time it appeared the 85% figure was so deeply
    >ingrained in the injury prevention community that a change will not be helpful. I regard any
    >similar numbers published in those or other studies as approximations anyway. Over the years
    >observation of who gets head-injured and who does not seems to support the 85% number. So we have
    >left it up that way. We do have references to the later study for those who need more"
    >
    >So, not so much peer-reviewed as "don't confuse them with the facts."

    I'd like to cite their reply to you in my BHIT-bill letter to my local MP (Alistair Darling) could
    you email me the details of the date of the letter, etc, etc? Or , even better, send me a
    photocopy of it?

    (Please contact me via email for rl address, if that's okay)

    Cheers, Euan Gawnsoft: http://www.gawnsoft.co.sr Symbian/Epoc wiki: http://html.dnsalias.net:1122

  10. Just zis Guy

    Just zis Guy Guest

    On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 17:39:05 +0000, Gawnsoft
    <[email protected]>:

    >I'd like to cite their reply to you in my BHIT-bill letter to my local MP (Alistair Darling) could
    >you email me the details of the date of the letter, etc, etc? Or , even better, send me a
    >photocopy of it?

    The reply from BHSI was by email.

    --
    Guy
    ===

  11. Gawnsoft

    Gawnsoft Guest

    On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 18:19:39 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
    <[email protected]> wrote (more or less):

    >On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 17:39:05 +0000, Gawnsoft <[email protected]>
    >wrote in message <[email protected]>:
    >
    >>I'd like to cite their reply to you in my BHIT-bill letter to my local MP (Alistair Darling) could
    >>you email me the details of the date of the letter, etc, etc? Or , even better, send me a
    >>photocopy of it?
    >
    >The reply from BHSI was by email.

    Forward a copy of it to me then, please, with a bit of text saying here is what I received... Ta.
    Cheers, Euan Gawnsoft: http://www.gawnsoft.co.sr Symbian/Epoc wiki: http://html.dnsalias.net:1122