BHIT MPs

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Tony Raven, Jan 26, 2004.

  1. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    I got the following list today from the House of Commons listing all the MPs who signed the Early
    Day Motion. If one of them is yours, think about writing to them as they are equally likely to vote
    for the Bill

    Tony

    EDM 1783

    BICYCLE HELMET INITIATIVE TRUST 20.10.03 Mr Alan Meale Mr David Amess Ms Candy Atherton Mr
    Harry Barnes Mr Roy Beggs Mr Roger Berry Mr Clive Betts Peter Bottomley Mr Keith Bradley Peter
    Bradley Mr Colin Breed Mrs Annette L Brooke Richard Burden Mr John Butterfill Dr Vincent Cable
    Mr Gregory Campbell Mr Menzies Campbell Mr Ronnie Campbell Mr Alistair Carmichael Mr Martin
    Caton Mr David Chidgey Harry Cohen Mr Tony Colman Frank Cook Jeremy Corbyn Mrs Ann Cryer John
    Cryer Mr Tam Dalyell Mr Terry Davis Mr Hilton Dawson Mrs Janet Dean Mr Andrew Dismore Mr Frank
    Dobson Mr Jeffrey M. Donaldson Mr David Drew Mr Huw Edwards Jeff Ennis Mr Bill Etherington
    Annabelle Ewing Paul Flynn Mr Roger Godsiff Matthew Green Mr Win Griffiths David Hamilton Mr
    Mike Hancock Lady Hermon Mr Kelvin Hopkins Mrs Joan Humble Dr Brian Iddon Mr Eric Illsley
    Glenda Jackson Mr Nigel Jones Mr Paul Keetch Mr David Lepper Mr Elfyn Llwyd Alice Mahon Mr Paul
    Marsden Mr Michael Mates Mr Kevin McNamara Mr Denis Murphy Mr Bill Olner Syd Rapson Mr David
    Rendel Mrs Iris Robinson Andrew Rosindell Mr Mohammad Sarwar Phil Sawford Alan Simpson Mr
    Marsha Singh The Reverend Martin Smyth Bob Spink Mark Tami Dr Jenny Tonge Dr Desmond Turner Mr
    Paul Tyler Keith Vaz Mr Michael Weir Mr John Wilkinson Mrs Betty Williams Pete Wishart Tony
    Worthington David Wright

    82 signatures That this House notes that every year in the UK approximately 28,000 children
    under the age of 16 years receive a serious head injury as a result of a cycling accident and
    that sadly a number die as a result, whilst for many others their accident will have a
    devasting impact on their life, in many cases restricting their abilities to develop, learn new
    skills, make new friends and face the lifelong challenges of the world; recognises that by
    simply wearing a bicycle helmet 85 per cent. of such head injuries could be prevented; commends
    the excellent campaign of the Bicycle Helmet Initiative Trust to get Parliament to introduce
    legislation to enforce the wearing of helmets by all bicyclists in the UK; and calls upon her
    Majesty's Government to give its full support to such a proposal which would both save lives
    and stop injuries on our roads.

    Tags:

  2. Willowbeauty

    Willowbeauty Guest

    > I got the following list today from the House of Commons listing all the
    MPs
    > who signed the Early Day Motion. If one of them is yours, think about
    writing
    > to them as they are equally likely to vote for the Bill
    >
    > Tony

    I know this seems irrelevant but is there any chance of this list being broken by party so party
    members can go and do some lobbying?

    Next events:

    1 Feb 102k Chippenham

    7 Feb 201k Oxford

    14 Feb 108k Cheltenham

    21 Feb 207k Reading

    22 Feb '14' Kingston Wh GS295

  3. Ben

    Ben Guest

    "Willowbeauty" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

    > "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > berlin.de...
    > > I got the following list today from the House of Commons listing all the
    > MPs
    > > who signed the Early Day Motion. If one of them is yours, think about
    > writing
    > > to them as they are equally likely to vote for the Bill
    > >
    > > Tony
    >
    > I know this seems irrelevant but is there any chance of this list being broken by party so party
    > members can go and do some lobbying?

    From http://edm.ais.co.uk/weblink/html/motion.html/EDMI_SES=02/ref=1783

    "Conservative Party Amess/David Bottomley/Peter Butterfill/John Mates/Michael Rosindell/Andrew
    Spink/Bob Wilkinson/John Open: 7

    Democratic Unionist Party Campbell/Gregory Robinson/Iris Open: 2

    Labour Party Atherton/Candy Barnes/Harry Berry/Roger Betts/Clive Bradley/Keith Bradley/Peter
    Burden/Richard Campbell/Ronnie Caton/Martin Cohen/Harry Colman/Tony Cook/Frank Corbyn/Jeremy
    Cryer/Ann Cryer/John Dalyell/Tam Davis/Terry Dawson/Hilton Dean/Janet Dismore/Andrew Dobson/Frank
    Drew/David Edwards/Huw Ennis/Jeff Etherington/Bill Flynn/Paul Godsiff/Roger Griffiths/Win
    Hamilton/David Hopkins/Kelvin Humble/Joan Iddon/Brian Illsley/Eric Jackson/Glenda Lepper/David
    Mahon/Alice McNamara/Kevin Meale/Alan Murphy/Denis Olner/Bill Rapson/Syd Sarwar/Mohammad
    Sawford/Phil Simpson/Alan Singh/Marsha Tami/Mark Turner/Desmond Vaz/Keith Williams/Betty
    Worthington/Tony Wright/David Open: 51

    Liberal Democrats Breed/Colin Brooke/Annette Cable/Vincent Campbell/Menzies Carmichael/Alistair
    Chidgey/David Green/Matthew Hancock/Mike Jones/Nigel Keetch/Paul Marsden/Paul Rendel/David
    Tonge/Jenny Tyler/Paul Open: 14

    Plaid Cymru Llwyd/Elfyn
    Open: 1

    Scottish National Party Ewing/Annabelle Weir/Michael Wishart/Pete Open: 3

    Ulster Unionist Party Beggs/Roy Donaldson/Jeffrey Hermon/Sylvia Smyth/Martin Open: 4

    Note: Counts of withdrawn and closed signatures are not displayed. "

    That note means that some are omitted, e.g.: Conservative: Taylor, Teddy

    Labour: Vis, Rudi

    possibly because they withdrew their signatures.

    Cheers, Ben

  4. Willowbeauty

    Willowbeauty Guest

    "Ben" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Willowbeauty" <[email protected]> wrote
    in
    > message news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > > berlin.de...
    > > > I got the following list today from the House of Commons listing all
    the
    > > MPs
    > > > who signed the Early Day Motion. If one of them is yours, think about
    > > writing
    > > > to them as they are equally likely to vote for the Bill
    > > >
    > > > Tony
    > >
    > > I know this seems irrelevant but is there any chance of this list being broken by party so party
    > > members can go and do some lobbying?
    > >
    > From http://edm.ais.co.uk/weblink/html/motion.html/EDMI_SES=02/ref=1783

    Thanks Ben, I shall pass this onto those who know more than me to do something with this, Ta, Neil

    --
    Next events: 1 Feb 102k Chippenham 7 Feb 201k Oxford 14 Feb 108k Cheltenham 21 Feb 207k Reading 22
    Feb '14' Kingston Wh GS295

  5. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

  6. On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 18:01:42 -0000, Tony Raven <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > I got the following list today from the House of Commons listing all the MPs who signed the Early
    > Day Motion. If one of them is yours, think about writing to them as they are equally likely to
    > vote for the Bill

    If you don't know who your MP is then go to www.upmystreet.com stick in your post code and you
    should find your MP's detail towards the bottom of the returned page. As well as providing contact
    details the section also provides various links to biographies and profiles.

    My MP is the a Labour chief whip so I expect she'll be a bit busy today.

    Colin
    --

  7. "Ben" <[email protected]>typed

    > Labour: Vis, Rudi

    > possibly because they withdrew their signatures.

    > Cheers, Ben

    Rudi Vis withdrew his signature after a letter from me ;)

  8. On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 13:39:48 GMT, Helen Deborah Vecht
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Ben" <[email protected]>typed
    >

    >> Labour: Vis, Rudi
    >
    >> possibly because they withdrew their signatures.
    >
    >> Cheers, Ben
    >
    >Rudi Vis withdrew his signature after a letter from me ;)

    A good example of politicians being responsive.

  9. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 23:27:54 -0000, "Ben"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Conservative Party = 7 Democratic Unionist Party = 2 Labour Party = 51 Liberal Democrats = 14 Plaid
    >Cymru = 1 Scottish National Party = 3 Ulster Unionist Party = 4

    Now why don't the above numbers surprise me?

    James

    --
    It's a CD-ROM drive, not a cup holder.

  10. Ben

    Ben Guest

    > Ben wrote:
    > >>
    > >> I know this seems irrelevant but is there any chance of this list being broken by party so
    > >> party members can go and do some lobbying?
    > >>
    > > From http://edm.ais.co.uk/weblink/html/motion.html/EDMI_SES=02/ref=1783
    > >

    > Interesting that the New Tory Party had 7 times as many sign it as the Old Tory Party.

    It might be interesting to look at other EDMs; that ratio may be normal. By convention, ministers,
    shadow ministers and PPSs etc don't sign EDMs. Some other MPs refuse to sign any EDMs on principle
    and seem to regard them with abhorrence, an attitude which may be distinctly more common on one side
    of the House.

    Ben

  11. Ben

    Ben Guest

    "Helen Deborah Vecht" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Ben" <[email protected]>typed
    >

    > > Labour: Vis, Rudi
    >
    > > possibly because they withdrew their signatures.
    >
    > Rudi Vis withdrew his signature after a letter from me ;)

    Bravo!

    Is it too much to hope that he did not so much bow to the weight of constituency opinion but rather
    is now much better informed?

    Ben

  12. Ian Smith

    Ian Smith Guest

    On Tue, 27 Jan 2004, Colin Blackburn <[email protected]> wrote:

    > If you don't know who your MP is then go to www.upmystreet.com stick in your post code and you
    > should find your MP's detail towards the bottom of the returned page. As well as providing
    > contact details the section also provides various links to biographies and profiles.

    If you know yours is a tory, and just want to check his name, then go to www.conservatives.org.uk
    (or soemthing, I forget what) and stick in your postcode and it will tell you it doesn't recognise
    your constituency. At least that's what happened to me, but that's what you get for being in a
    safest of safe seats used for rewarding good eggs who need rewarding, rather than one where the MP
    actually _does_ anything.

    Me, cynical? I'd be less so if he'd ever acknowledged any of my letters, and hadn't been such a
    plonker the one time I met him.

    regards, Ian SMith
    --
    |\ /| no .sig
    |o o|

  13. "Ben" <[email protected]>typed

    > "Helen Deborah Vecht" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > "Ben" <[email protected]>typed
    > >

    > > > Labour: Vis, Rudi
    > >
    > > > possibly because they withdrew their signatures.
    > >
    > > Rudi Vis withdrew his signature after a letter from me ;)

    > Bravo!

    > Is it too much to hope that he did not so much bow to the weight of constituency opinion but
    > rather is now much better informed?

    > Ben

    He is a cyclist anyway. It wasn't just me but I got a very nice letter from him. He is now
    better-informed.

    He come from the Netherlands, where heads are usually bare.

  14. Willowbeauty

    Willowbeauty Guest

    "James Hodson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 23:27:54 -0000, "Ben" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Conservative Party = 7 Democratic Unionist Party = 2 Labour Party = 51 Liberal Democrats = 14
    > >Plaid Cymru = 1 Scottish National Party = 3 Ulster Unionist Party = 4
    >
    > Now why don't the above numbers surprise me? James

    I have no idea! Perhaps because you support proportional representation?

  15. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 23:49:47 -0000, "Willowbeauty"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"James Hodson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 23:27:54 -0000, "Ben" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Conservative Party = 7 Democratic Unionist Party = 2 Labour Party = 51 Liberal Democrats = 14
    >> >Plaid Cymru = 1 Scottish National Party = 3 Ulster Unionist Party = 4
    >>
    >> Now why don't the above numbers surprise me?
    >
    >I have no idea! Perhaps because you support proportional representation?

    I don't like the "the state knows best" attitude of the LibDems and Labour.

    James

  16. Willowbeauty

    Willowbeauty Guest

    "James Hodson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 23:49:47 -0000, "Willowbeauty" <Newsgroup-
    > [email protected]> wrote:
    >

    > >"James Hodson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >news:[email protected]...

    > >> Now why don't the above numbers surprise me?
    > >
    > >I have no idea! Perhaps because you support proportional representation?
    > >

    > I don't like the "the state knows best" attitude of the LibDems and Labour.
    >
    > James

    Fair enough. I don't like the 'privatise everything, pay really low tax and wonder why everything
    falls apart' method.

  17. > > I don't like the "the state knows best" attitude of the LibDems and Labour.

    > > James
    >
    > Fair enough. I don't like the 'privatise everything, pay really low tax and wonder why everything
    > falls apart' method.

    Excellent. I don't like the 'nationalise everything, pay really high tax and still wonder why
    everything falls apart method'. Maybe we can find a third way somehow. D'oh.

  18. Willowbeauty

    Willowbeauty Guest

    "Mark Thompson" <[email protected] (change warm for hot)>
    > > > I don't like the "the state knows best" attitude of the LibDems and Labour.
    > > >
    > > > James
    > >
    > > Fair enough. I don't like the 'privatise everything, pay really low tax
    and
    > > wonder why everything falls apart' method.
    >
    > Excellent. I don't like the 'nationalise everything, pay really high tax
    and
    > still wonder why everything falls apart method'. Maybe we can find a
    third way
    > somehow. D'oh.

    I love the way the UK considers it pays high tax- still not done the thinking required to actually
    bridge the gap into wanting to create a better society for all. Still, in the meantime, crime will
    rise, the rich will get richer but surely more concerning is that the poor will get poorer. Luckily
    (!) it'll never get fixed, bit like pushing for motorists to take a retest every couple of years so
    they actually learn to appreciate cyclists, horses, pedestrians and of course the poor ones get
    weeded out. The 'looking after number one' mode of life is effective for a while until you hit bad
    luck, get ill etc.

    Ho hum, 3rd way, 4th way- dead end more like!

  19. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Willowbeauty wrote:

    > I love the way the UK considers it pays high tax- still not done the thinking required to actually
    > bridge the gap into wanting to create a better society for all.

    Of course Mr Marx proposed another way but that didn't work too well either.

    Tony

  20. > the rich will get richer but surely more concerning is that the poor will get
    poorer.

    I've never really bothered how rich the rich are - better things to get envious about IMHO. The poor
    are getting richer though, unless you're talking about this slightly misleading 'relative' thing.