BHIT MPs

Tony Raven

Guest
I got the following list today from the House of Commons listing all the MPs who signed the Early
Day Motion. If one of them is yours, think about writing to them as they are equally likely to vote
for the Bill

Tony

EDM 1783

BICYCLE HELMET INITIATIVE TRUST 20.10.03 Mr Alan Meale Mr David Amess Ms Candy Atherton Mr
Harry Barnes Mr Roy Beggs Mr Roger Berry Mr Clive Betts Peter Bottomley Mr Keith Bradley Peter
Bradley Mr Colin Breed Mrs Annette L Brooke Richard Burden Mr John Butterfill Dr Vincent Cable
Mr Gregory Campbell Mr Menzies Campbell Mr Ronnie Campbell Mr Alistair Carmichael Mr Martin
Caton Mr David Chidgey Harry Cohen Mr Tony Colman Frank Cook Jeremy Corbyn Mrs Ann Cryer John
Cryer Mr Tam Dalyell Mr Terry Davis Mr Hilton Dawson Mrs Janet Dean Mr Andrew Dismore Mr Frank
Dobson Mr Jeffrey M. Donaldson Mr David Drew Mr Huw Edwards Jeff Ennis Mr Bill Etherington
Annabelle Ewing Paul Flynn Mr Roger Godsiff Matthew Green Mr Win Griffiths David Hamilton Mr
Mike Hancock Lady Hermon Mr Kelvin Hopkins Mrs Joan Humble Dr Brian Iddon Mr Eric Illsley
Glenda Jackson Mr Nigel Jones Mr Paul Keetch Mr David Lepper Mr Elfyn Llwyd Alice Mahon Mr Paul
Marsden Mr Michael Mates Mr Kevin McNamara Mr Denis Murphy Mr Bill Olner Syd Rapson Mr David
Rendel Mrs Iris Robinson Andrew Rosindell Mr Mohammad Sarwar Phil Sawford Alan Simpson Mr
Marsha Singh The Reverend Martin Smyth Bob Spink Mark Tami Dr Jenny Tonge Dr Desmond Turner Mr
Paul Tyler Keith Vaz Mr Michael Weir Mr John Wilkinson Mrs Betty Williams Pete Wishart Tony
Worthington David Wright

82 signatures That this House notes that every year in the UK approximately 28,000 children
under the age of 16 years receive a serious head injury as a result of a cycling accident and
that sadly a number die as a result, whilst for many others their accident will have a
devasting impact on their life, in many cases restricting their abilities to develop, learn new
skills, make new friends and face the lifelong challenges of the world; recognises that by
simply wearing a bicycle helmet 85 per cent. of such head injuries could be prevented; commends
the excellent campaign of the Bicycle Helmet Initiative Trust to get Parliament to introduce
legislation to enforce the wearing of helmets by all bicyclists in the UK; and calls upon her
Majesty's Government to give its full support to such a proposal which would both save lives
and stop injuries on our roads.

> I got the following list today from the House of Commons listing all the
MPs
> who signed the Early Day Motion. If one of them is yours, think about
writing
> to them as they are equally likely to vote for the Bill
>
> Tony

I know this seems irrelevant but is there any chance of this list being broken by party so party
members can go and do some lobbying?

Next events:

1 Feb 102k Chippenham

7 Feb 201k Oxford

14 Feb 108k Cheltenham

21 Feb 207k Reading

22 Feb '14' Kingston Wh GS295

"Willowbeauty" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

> "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> berlin.de...
> > I got the following list today from the House of Commons listing all the
> MPs
> > who signed the Early Day Motion. If one of them is yours, think about
> writing
> > to them as they are equally likely to vote for the Bill
> >
> > Tony
>
> I know this seems irrelevant but is there any chance of this list being broken by party so party
> members can go and do some lobbying?

From http://edm.ais.co.uk/weblink/html/motion.html/EDMI_SES=02/ref=1783

"Conservative Party Amess/David Bottomley/Peter Butterfill/John Mates/Michael Rosindell/Andrew
Spink/Bob Wilkinson/John Open: 7

Democratic Unionist Party Campbell/Gregory Robinson/Iris Open: 2

Labour Party Atherton/Candy Barnes/Harry Berry/Roger Betts/Clive Bradley/Keith Bradley/Peter
Burden/Richard Campbell/Ronnie Caton/Martin Cohen/Harry Colman/Tony Cook/Frank Corbyn/Jeremy
Cryer/Ann Cryer/John Dalyell/Tam Davis/Terry Dawson/Hilton Dean/Janet Dismore/Andrew Dobson/Frank
Drew/David Edwards/Huw Ennis/Jeff Etherington/Bill Flynn/Paul Godsiff/Roger Griffiths/Win
Hamilton/David Hopkins/Kelvin Humble/Joan Iddon/Brian Illsley/Eric Jackson/Glenda Lepper/David
Mahon/Alice McNamara/Kevin Meale/Alan Murphy/Denis Olner/Bill Rapson/Syd Sarwar/Mohammad
Sawford/Phil Simpson/Alan Singh/Marsha Tami/Mark Turner/Desmond Vaz/Keith Williams/Betty
Worthington/Tony Wright/David Open: 51

Liberal Democrats Breed/Colin Brooke/Annette Cable/Vincent Campbell/Menzies Carmichael/Alistair
Chidgey/David Green/Matthew Hancock/Mike Jones/Nigel Keetch/Paul Marsden/Paul Rendel/David
Tonge/Jenny Tyler/Paul Open: 14

Plaid Cymru Llwyd/Elfyn
Open: 1

Scottish National Party Ewing/Annabelle Weir/Michael Wishart/Pete Open: 3

Ulster Unionist Party Beggs/Roy Donaldson/Jeffrey Hermon/Sylvia Smyth/Martin Open: 4

Note: Counts of withdrawn and closed signatures are not displayed. "

That note means that some are omitted, e.g.: Conservative: Taylor, Teddy

Labour: Vis, Rudi

possibly because they withdrew their signatures.

Cheers, Ben

"Ben" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Willowbeauty" <[email protected]> wrote
in
> message news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> > berlin.de...
> > > I got the following list today from the House of Commons listing all
the
> > MPs
> > > who signed the Early Day Motion. If one of them is yours, think about
> > writing
> > > to them as they are equally likely to vote for the Bill
> > >
> > > Tony
> >
> > I know this seems irrelevant but is there any chance of this list being broken by party so party
> > members can go and do some lobbying?
> >
> From http://edm.ais.co.uk/weblink/html/motion.html/EDMI_SES=02/ref=1783

Thanks Ben, I shall pass this onto those who know more than me to do something with this, Ta, Neil

--
Next events: 1 Feb 102k Chippenham 7 Feb 201k Oxford 14 Feb 108k Cheltenham 21 Feb 207k Reading 22
Feb '14' Kingston Wh GS295

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 18:01:42 -0000, Tony Raven <[email protected]>
wrote:

> I got the following list today from the House of Commons listing all the MPs who signed the Early
> Day Motion. If one of them is yours, think about writing to them as they are equally likely to
> vote for the Bill

If you don't know who your MP is then go to www.upmystreet.com stick in your post code and you
should find your MP's detail towards the bottom of the returned page. As well as providing contact
details the section also provides various links to biographies and profiles.

My MP is the a Labour chief whip so I expect she'll be a bit busy today.

Colin
--

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 13:39:48 GMT, Helen Deborah Vecht
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Ben" <[email protected]>typed
>

>> Labour: Vis, Rudi
>
>> possibly because they withdrew their signatures.
>
>> Cheers, Ben
>
>Rudi Vis withdrew his signature after a letter from me ;)

A good example of politicians being responsive.

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 23:27:54 -0000, "Ben"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Conservative Party = 7 Democratic Unionist Party = 2 Labour Party = 51 Liberal Democrats = 14 Plaid
>Cymru = 1 Scottish National Party = 3 Ulster Unionist Party = 4

Now why don't the above numbers surprise me?

James

--
It's a CD-ROM drive, not a cup holder.

> Ben wrote:
> >>
> >> I know this seems irrelevant but is there any chance of this list being broken by party so
> >> party members can go and do some lobbying?
> >>
> > From http://edm.ais.co.uk/weblink/html/motion.html/EDMI_SES=02/ref=1783
> >

> Interesting that the New Tory Party had 7 times as many sign it as the Old Tory Party.

It might be interesting to look at other EDMs; that ratio may be normal. By convention, ministers,
shadow ministers and PPSs etc don't sign EDMs. Some other MPs refuse to sign any EDMs on principle
and seem to regard them with abhorrence, an attitude which may be distinctly more common on one side
of the House.

Ben

"Helen Deborah Vecht" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Ben" <[email protected]>typed
>

> > Labour: Vis, Rudi
>
> > possibly because they withdrew their signatures.
>
> Rudi Vis withdrew his signature after a letter from me ;)

Bravo!

Is it too much to hope that he did not so much bow to the weight of constituency opinion but rather
is now much better informed?

Ben

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004, Colin Blackburn <[email protected]> wrote:

> If you don't know who your MP is then go to www.upmystreet.com stick in your post code and you
> should find your MP's detail towards the bottom of the returned page. As well as providing
> contact details the section also provides various links to biographies and profiles.

If you know yours is a tory, and just want to check his name, then go to www.conservatives.org.uk
(or soemthing, I forget what) and stick in your postcode and it will tell you it doesn't recognise
your constituency. At least that's what happened to me, but that's what you get for being in a
safest of safe seats used for rewarding good eggs who need rewarding, rather than one where the MP
actually _does_ anything.

Me, cynical? I'd be less so if he'd ever acknowledged any of my letters, and hadn't been such a
plonker the one time I met him.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

"Ben" <[email protected]>typed

> "Helen Deborah Vecht" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > "Ben" <[email protected]>typed
> >

> > > Labour: Vis, Rudi
> >
> > > possibly because they withdrew their signatures.
> >
> > Rudi Vis withdrew his signature after a letter from me ;)

> Bravo!

> Is it too much to hope that he did not so much bow to the weight of constituency opinion but
> rather is now much better informed?

> Ben

He is a cyclist anyway. It wasn't just me but I got a very nice letter from him. He is now
better-informed.

He come from the Netherlands, where heads are usually bare.

"James Hodson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 23:27:54 -0000, "Ben" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Conservative Party = 7 Democratic Unionist Party = 2 Labour Party = 51 Liberal Democrats = 14
> >Plaid Cymru = 1 Scottish National Party = 3 Ulster Unionist Party = 4
>
> Now why don't the above numbers surprise me? James

I have no idea! Perhaps because you support proportional representation?

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 23:49:47 -0000, "Willowbeauty"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"James Hodson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 23:27:54 -0000, "Ben" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> >Conservative Party = 7 Democratic Unionist Party = 2 Labour Party = 51 Liberal Democrats = 14
>> >Plaid Cymru = 1 Scottish National Party = 3 Ulster Unionist Party = 4
>>
>> Now why don't the above numbers surprise me?
>
>I have no idea! Perhaps because you support proportional representation?

I don't like the "the state knows best" attitude of the LibDems and Labour.

James

"James Hodson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 23:49:47 -0000, "Willowbeauty" <Newsgroup-
> [email protected]> wrote:
>

> >"James Hodson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]...

> >> Now why don't the above numbers surprise me?
> >
> >I have no idea! Perhaps because you support proportional representation?
> >

> I don't like the "the state knows best" attitude of the LibDems and Labour.
>
> James

Fair enough. I don't like the 'privatise everything, pay really low tax and wonder why everything
falls apart' method.

> > I don't like the "the state knows best" attitude of the LibDems and Labour.
> >
> > James
>
> Fair enough. I don't like the 'privatise everything, pay really low tax and wonder why everything
> falls apart' method.

Excellent. I don't like the 'nationalise everything, pay really high tax and still wonder why
everything falls apart method'. Maybe we can find a third way somehow. D'oh.

"Mark Thompson" <[email protected] (change warm for hot)>
> > > I don't like the "the state knows best" attitude of the LibDems and Labour.
> > >
> > > James
> >
> > Fair enough. I don't like the 'privatise everything, pay really low tax
and
> > wonder why everything falls apart' method.
>
> Excellent. I don't like the 'nationalise everything, pay really high tax
and
> still wonder why everything falls apart method'. Maybe we can find a
third way
> somehow. D'oh.

I love the way the UK considers it pays high tax- still not done the thinking required to actually
bridge the gap into wanting to create a better society for all. Still, in the meantime, crime will
rise, the rich will get richer but surely more concerning is that the poor will get poorer. Luckily
(!) it'll never get fixed, bit like pushing for motorists to take a retest every couple of years so
they actually learn to appreciate cyclists, horses, pedestrians and of course the poor ones get
weeded out. The 'looking after number one' mode of life is effective for a while until you hit bad
luck, get ill etc.

Ho hum, 3rd way, 4th way- dead end more like!

Willowbeauty wrote:

> I love the way the UK considers it pays high tax- still not done the thinking required to actually
> bridge the gap into wanting to create a better society for all.

Of course Mr Marx proposed another way but that didn't work too well either.

Tony

> the rich will get richer but surely more concerning is that the poor will get
poorer.

I've never really bothered how rich the rich are - better things to get envious about IMHO. The poor
are getting richer though, unless you're talking about this slightly misleading 'relative' thing.