Bianchi boron steel

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Eric R., Jun 5, 2003.

  1. Eric R.

    Eric R. Guest

    I am looking for some reviews on the bianchi boron frame set. I have heard the comfort factor
    compared to Columbus or Reynolds is darn near the same. My question is how durable is it? It's very
    light frame/fork set (2.8 lbs) makes me wonder...

    Thoughts, reviews

    Eric "Go climb a mountain (on a bike!!!)"

    Tags:

  2. Dan Gillette

    Dan Gillette Guest

    Had a crack on the down tube, three inches below the head tube, after only three weeks of normal
    riding on pretty good roads with a pretty light rider.

    - Dan

    "Eric R." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:TvJDa.264$%[email protected]...
    > I am looking for some reviews on the bianchi boron frame set. I have heard the comfort factor
    > compared to Columbus or Reynolds is darn near the same. My question is how durable is it? It's
    > very light frame/fork set (2.8 lbs) makes me wonder...
    >
    > Thoughts, reviews
    >
    > Eric "Go climb a mountain (on a bike!!!)"

  3. Neacalban1

    Neacalban1 Guest

    >Had a crack on the down tube, three inches below the head tube, after only three weeks of normal
    >riding on pretty good roads with a pretty light rider.
    >
    >- Dan

    Yikes. (running down to look at mine....)so far so good with mine, bought in april 2000, so its pre
    "foam injection, and standard geometry, not sloping tt. Its been very good to me, comfortable,
    sized well, stif enough for me. climbs well. got maybe 6000 miles on it. I'm 5'9", 155#, not much
    of a gear masher,. size wize, it wasnt hard since I've ridden 25yrs+, and position is pretty well
    nailed down.

  4. > I am looking for some reviews on the bianchi boron frame set. I have heard the comfort factor
    > compared to Columbus or Reynolds is darn near the same. My question is how durable is it? It's
    > very light frame/fork set (2.8 lbs) makes me wonder...

    You have good reason to wonder. 2.8lbs is simply too light to build a frame & fork and expect
    durability. You buy a frameset like that for only one reason- because you want the lightest bike in
    the neighborhood, and durability simply isn't an issue.

    In general (and generalizations always have exceptions), the lower limit for very reliable
    (long-lasting) frames is as follows-

    Steel- 3.5 lbs Aluminum- 2.7 lbs Titanium- 3.0 lbs Carbon- 2.3 lbs (could be less, not enough
    experience to know)

    And those weights are for the frame alone! You're talking 2.8 lbs for frame *and* fork. Anyone
    designing a frameset like that wasn't thinking about longevity. That may be perfectly reasonable for
    some people. But does it meet your own requirements?

    A company can build a heavier frame that's not durable, or it's possible to push the limits with a
    good design and perhaps come in under those numbers a bit. But as a general rule of thumb, they're
    pretty good.

    Please note that just because a given material can build a durable frame that weighs less than
    another material doesn't mean that it's better. Just different. Each material has its own properties
    (strengths & weaknesses & design requirements) that affect the way someone will perceive the overall
    ride, not to mention appearance.

    "Eric R." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:TvJDa.264$%[email protected]...
    > I am looking for some reviews on the bianchi boron frame set. I have heard the comfort factor
    > compared to Columbus or Reynolds is darn near the same. My question is how durable is it? It's
    > very light frame/fork set (2.8 lbs) makes me wonder...
    >
    > Thoughts, reviews
    >
    > Eric "Go climb a mountain (on a bike!!!)"

  5. Dan Gillette

    Dan Gillette Guest

    It was a 2002 with the foam. The tubes were crazy thin. The shop got me into an Airborne with little
    fuss and I have been happy ever since.

    - Dan

    "Neacalban1" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > >Had a crack on the down tube, three inches below the head tube, after
    only
    > >three weeks of normal riding on pretty good roads with a pretty light
    rider.

    > >- Dan
    > >

    > Yikes. (running down to look at mine....)so far so good with mine, bought
    in
    > april 2000, so its pre "foam injection, and standard geometry, not sloping
    tt.
    > Its been very good to me, comfortable, sized well, stif enough for me.
    climbs
    > well. got maybe 6000 miles on it. I'm 5'9", 155#, not much of a gear
    masher,.
    > size wize, it wasnt hard since I've ridden 25yrs+, and position is pretty
    well
    > nailed down.

  6. A note on that Bianchi - there IS no 2.8lb Steel F&F in existence. Frame only, yes - that's about
    what bleeding-edge tig-welded steel is these days. But the problem with getting steel that light is
    the wall thicknesses have to be paper-thin. The latest UltraFoco Columbus downtubes for instance,
    have diameter to wall thickness ratios of about 100:1. That's about twice what the rule of thumb is
    for avoiding localized buckling, or "beer-canning". Heaven forbid your bike should fall over against
    something, let alone be in a crash. Mike's numbers on reasonable weights are pretty good if you're
    interested in reliability/durability; you can knock a bit off for small sizes, but not much. Best to
    avoid steel if you simply must have a sub-three-pound frame and want it to last. Too close to
    (beyond?) the edge...

    SB

    > > I am looking for some reviews on the bianchi boron frame set. I have
    heard
    > > the comfort factor compared to Columbus or Reynolds is darn near the
    same.
    > > My question is how durable is it? It's very light frame/fork set (2.8
    lbs)
    > > makes me wonder...
    >
    > You have good reason to wonder. 2.8lbs is simply too light to build a
    frame
    > & fork and expect durability. You buy a frameset like that for only one reason- because you want
    > the lightest bike in the neighborhood, and durability simply isn't an issue.
    >
    > In general (and generalizations always have exceptions), the lower limit
    for
    > very reliable (long-lasting) frames is as follows-
    >
    > Steel- 3.5 lbs Aluminum- 2.7 lbs Titanium- 3.0 lbs Carbon- 2.3 lbs (could be less, not enough
    > experience to know)
    >
    > And those weights are for the frame alone! You're talking 2.8 lbs for
    frame
    > *and* fork. Anyone designing a frameset like that wasn't thinking about longevity. That may be
    > perfectly reasonable for some people. But does it meet your own requirements?
    >
    > A company can build a heavier frame that's not durable, or it's possible
    > push the limits with a good design and perhaps come in under those numbers
    > bit. But as a general rule of thumb, they're pretty good.
    >
    > Please note that just because a given material can build a durable frame that weighs less than
    > another material doesn't mean that it's better.
    Just
    > different. Each material has its own properties (strengths & weaknesses & design requirements)
    > that affect the way someone will perceive the overall ride, not to mention appearance.

    > "Eric R." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:TvJDa.264$%[email protected]...
    > > I am looking for some reviews on the bianchi boron frame set. I have
    heard
    > > the comfort factor compared to Columbus or Reynolds is darn near the
    same.
    > > My question is how durable is it? It's very light frame/fork set (2.8
    lbs)
    > > makes me wonder...
    > >
    > > Thoughts, reviews
    > >
    > > Eric "Go climb a mountain (on a bike!!!)"

  7. Tim Cain

    Tim Cain Guest

    "Steve Blankenship" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > A note on that Bianchi - there IS no 2.8lb Steel F&F in existence. Frame only, yes - that's about
    > what bleeding-edge tig-welded steel is these
    days.
    > But the problem with getting steel that light is the wall thicknesses have to be paper-thin. The
    > latest UltraFoco Columbus downtubes for instance, have diameter to wall thickness ratios of about
    > 100:1. That's about twice what the rule of thumb is for avoiding localized buckling, or
    > "beer-canning".[...]

    You can impress people at cocktail parties by referring to this as "brazier buckling".

    Tim.

    ---

  8. Ideal

    Ideal Guest

    Read some report recently from a tubeset importer who recommended inspecting the said tubing's
    frameset every 500km for cracks , inspires a lots of confidence!. Seen a carbon Australian
    team Giant CFR

    or superlight but at least you could jump back on one & get to the finish. Seen a rider wreck two
    cutting-edge aluminium Bianchi's this season , nice bikes but no better than recycled cans after