Bianchi Bottom Bracket Threading

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Bevuardo, Jun 20, 2006.

1. Bevuardo

Bevuardo New Member

I plan on upgrading the crankset and bottom bracket on my Bianchi SL3 Frame (2004). I would guess the bottom bracket threading is Italian - anyone know if Bianchi use Italian / English threading as standard?

If I need to pull the bottom bracket apart to check - what's the easiest way of telling the difference?

:confused:

Tags:

2. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

It is MY understanding that contemporary Bianchi frames have ENGLISH threads ...

Generally, the easiest way to differentiate between an ITALIAN threaded BB shell & one that has ENGLISH threads is the width:
    • the ITALIAN BB shell is 70mm wide
    • the ENGLISH BB shell is 68mm wide
    If you can read the "imprint" on the face of the drive side BB cup, and if it says 36x24, then it is a BB with ITALIAN threads (both sides are RIGHT HAND THREAD).

If you can read the "imprint" on the face of the drive side BB cup, and if it says 1.37x24, then it confirms that it has ENGLISH threads.

MASI may also have English threads ...

Almost all other Italian "named" bikes + De Rosa (Hmmm, that SOUNDS Italian) & Merckx use Italian threads, AFAIK.

3. Bevuardo

Bevuardo New Member

Thanks AlfEng - very helpful

4. Eastway82

Eastway82 New Member

Pretty sure your SL3 should be English thread. My wife's ML3 (an 02 or 03 frame I think) is certainly English thread.