Bianchi Buying Advice

mowestusa

Guest
I'm posting here because some of you may know the value of the bike I'm
looking at and could steer me in the right direction.

I'm looking at a Early 90's Bianchi, I believe. I can't find any model
name on the bike. It has the Bianchi markings, but then nothing really
beyond that. It has Suntour STX derailers, 12 speed, downtube shifters,
Aluminum rims, arrow brake handles, and Shimano brakes. The frame label
says "Made in Taiwain CR-MO", and the color is a royal blue. That is
all the information that I have to identify the model. Anyway I was
wondering if it was worth the $95 bucks that the person is asking?

I would like to use it to replace my Trek 830 1991 that I basically just
use on the road. However if I take this one I know that I will need a
new saddle and a new stem (I have this) and new handlebar tape. I
should probably replace all of the cables too. Now I do all of my own
bike work, and I don't pound fast miles, but I would like something a
little faster and more geared to the road riding that I do all of the
time and a little lighter than my old mountain bike. I know that buying
new and getting one of those light Aluminum frames would really be the
way to go for most people, but I like old bikes, and I like cleaning
them up and getting some use out of what others feel is just junk, but I
don't want to put all this time and money into a bike that is not much
better than a Huffy.

What do you think? Does it sound like a good deal? I know the Bianchi
name is thought of highly by many road bike riders.

mowestusa

mowestusa writes:

> I'm posting here because some of you may know the value of the bike
> I'm looking at and could steer me in the right direction.
>
> I'm looking at a Early 90's Bianchi, I believe. I can't find any model
> name on the bike. It has the Bianchi markings, but then nothing
> really beyond that. It has Suntour STX derailers, 12 speed, downtube
> shifters, Aluminum rims, arrow brake handles, and Shimano brakes. The
> frame label says "Made in Taiwain CR-MO", and the color is a royal
> blue. That is all the information that I have to identify the model.
> Anyway I was wondering if it was worth the $95 bucks that the person
> is asking?
>
> I would like to use it to replace my Trek 830 1991 that I basically
> just use on the road. However if I take this one I know that I will
> need a new saddle and a new stem (I have this) and new handlebar
> tape. I should probably replace all of the cables too. Now I do all
> of my own bike work, and I don't pound fast miles, but I would like
> something a little faster and more geared to the road riding that I
> do all of the time and a little lighter than my old mountain bike. I
> know that buying new and getting one of those light Aluminum frames
> would really be the way to go for most people, but I like old bikes,
> and I like cleaning them up and getting some use out of what others
> feel is just junk, but I don't want to put all this time and money
> into a bike that is not much better than a Huffy.
>
> What do you think? Does it sound like a good deal? I know the Bianchi
> name is thought of highly by many road bike riders.

Assuming it fits you and is in good condition, it'd be worth looking
through eBay to get a feel for price.

mowestusa wrote:

> I'm posting here because some of you may know the value of the bike I'm
> looking at and could steer me in the right direction.
>
> I'm looking at a Early 90's Bianchi, I believe. I can't find any model
> name on the bike. It has the Bianchi markings, but then nothing really
> beyond that. It has Suntour STX derailers, 12 speed, downtube shifters,
> Aluminum rims, arrow brake handles, and Shimano brakes. The frame label
> says "Made in Taiwain CR-MO", and the color is a royal blue. That is
> all the information that I have to identify the model. Anyway I was
> wondering if it was worth the $95 bucks that the person is asking?
>
> I would like to use it to replace my Trek 830 1991 that I basically just
> use on the road. However if I take this one I know that I will need a
> new saddle and a new stem (I have this) and new handlebar tape. I
> should probably replace all of the cables too. Now I do all of my own
> bike work, and I don't pound fast miles, but I would like something a
> little faster and more geared to the road riding that I do all of the
> time and a little lighter than my old mountain bike. I know that buying
> new and getting one of those light Aluminum frames would really be the
> way to go for most people, but I like old bikes, and I like cleaning
> them up and getting some use out of what others feel is just junk, but I
> don't want to put all this time and money into a bike that is not much
> better than a Huffy.
>
> What do you think? Does it sound like a good deal? I know the Bianchi
> name is thought of highly by many road bike riders.

Unfortunately Bianchi make everything from kids' bikes and motor
scooters to pro race machines, so the name doesn't mean anything. I've
never heard of Suntour STX (Shimano STX was a 21 speed MTB groupset) but
Googling finds one reference, so I assume it's just rare.

I would see how worn the chain, sprockets and (especially) chainrings
are, that nothing is bent, and how heavy the bike is. If it's more than
25lb (without fenders or racks) or there is any real wear, leave it.
Otherwise it could be a good training bike.