Bianchi "Chick Designed"

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Geoff King, Aug 31, 2004.

  1. Geoff King

    Geoff King Guest

    I have a new Bianchi that has the sticker "Chick Designed" on it. The
    logo is of chick (baby bird) with long hair. It's a large size man's
    bike. Am I correct in assuming this bike was designed by a woman at/for
    bianchi or is there some other meaning behind this? Just curious.

    Thanks, Geoff

    Tags:

  2. jim beam

    jim beam Guest

    yep, the chick is sky yaeger, bianchi's u.s. designer.

    Geoff King wrote:
    > I have a new Bianchi that has the sticker "Chick Designed" on it. The
    > logo is of chick (baby bird) with long hair. It's a large size man's
    > bike. Am I correct in assuming this bike was designed by a woman at/for
    > bianchi or is there some other meaning behind this? Just curious.
    >
    > Thanks, Geoff

  3. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    Geoff King wrote:
    > I have a new Bianchi that has the sticker "Chick Designed" on it. The
    > logo is of chick (baby bird) with long hair. It's a large size man's
    > bike. Am I correct in assuming this bike was designed by a woman at/for
    > bianchi or is there some other meaning behind this? Just curious.

    Yes, that would be Sky Yaeger, Bianchi's resident genius.

    http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/skygios.jpg

    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org

  4. Frank

    Frank Guest

    What a coincidence! Is your frame a Vigorelli? I just got a 2003
    lightly-used Bianchi Vigorelli frame and fork and it has the "100% Chick
    Designed" decal at the lower back of the seattube.

    From looking at the 2003 Bianchi Vigorelli specs:

    http://gianni.bianchiusa.com/2003/site/bikes/25_Vigorelli.html

    looks like the "100% Chick Designed" might have applied to the components
    for this model. The complete bike came with some "girl" specific parts like
    4Girls handlebars and short reach levers. Doesn't look the specs for the
    frame and fork differed from the other Bianchi models using this frame and
    fork, just a few components on the Vigorelli.

    Frank

    "Geoff King" <> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > I have a new Bianchi that has the sticker "Chick Designed" on it. The
    > logo is of chick (baby bird) with long hair. It's a large size man's
    > bike. Am I correct in assuming this bike was designed by a woman at/for
    > bianchi or is there some other meaning behind this? Just curious.
    >
    > Thanks, Geoff

  5. Kalukis

    Kalukis Guest

    My Bianchi Pista is "100% Chick Designed" also. No "girlie man" components
    on it. Give Sky her due.

    -Kalukis

    news:[email protected]

    According to jim beam <[email protected]>:
    >yep, the chick is sky yaeger, bianchi's u.s. designer.

    And it's a real pity that she tacks crap like that on the bikes.
    The "your bike sucks" tag on last year's S.I.S.S. made me not like her
    style, and the integration of the Cars-R-Coffins logo made me think
    less of them. Is she still stenciling "PISTA CONCEPT 200x" across the top
    tube of the high-dollar track frame? Very A-Team.

    I like chrome bikes, but the silver saddle on this year's Pista puts the
    bike in Liberace territory.

    ---
    Lars Lehtonen;5A

  7. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 02:32:15 GMT, "Kalukis" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >My Bianchi Pista is "100% Chick Designed" also. No "girlie man" components
    >on it. Give Sky her due.

    And her "don't"; there's no good reason to put stuff on a bike that
    the market probably would rather not have there. Genius with wheels
    or not, somebody who works for Bianchi needs to understand that the
    idea is to sell bikes, not thump a personal drum. To paraphrase a
    deceased publisher, if she's got a message, she needs to use Western
    Union.
    --
    Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

  8. Geoff King

    Geoff King Guest

    Thanks for all the replies. Mine's a 2004 Giro. There are no chick
    specific parts on this one since I'm 6 feet tall. I'm very happy with
    the whole package.

    Geoff King wrote:

    > I have a new Bianchi that has the sticker "Chick Designed" on it. The
    > logo is of chick (baby bird) with long hair. It's a large size man's
    > bike. Am I correct in assuming this bike was designed by a woman at/for
    > bianchi or is there some other meaning behind this? Just curious.
    >
    > Thanks, Geoff

  9. Frank

    Frank Guest

    Geoff's riding a girl's bike, Geoff's riding a girl's bike...;-)

    Frank

    "Geoff King" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Thanks for all the replies. Mine's a 2004 Giro. There are no chick
    > specific parts on this one since I'm 6 feet tall. I'm very happy with
    > the whole package.
    >
    > Geoff King wrote:
    >
    > > I have a new Bianchi that has the sticker "Chick Designed" on it. The
    > > logo is of chick (baby bird) with long hair. It's a large size man's
    > > bike. Am I correct in assuming this bike was designed by a woman at/for
    > > bianchi or is there some other meaning behind this? Just curious.
    > >
    > > Thanks, Geoff

  10. jim beam

    jim beam Guest

    Lars Lehtonen wrote:
    >>Geoff King wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have a new Bianchi that has the sticker "Chick Designed" on it. The
    >>>logo is of chick (baby bird) with long hair. It's a large size man's
    >>>bike. Am I correct in assuming this bike was designed by a woman at/for
    >>>bianchi or is there some other meaning behind this? Just curious.

    > According to jim beam <[email protected]>:
    >
    >>yep, the chick is sky yaeger, bianchi's u.s. designer.

    > And it's a real pity that she tacks crap like that on the bikes.
    > The "your bike sucks" tag on last year's S.I.S.S. made me not like her
    > style, and the integration of the Cars-R-Coffins logo made me think
    > less of them. Is she still stenciling "PISTA CONCEPT 200x" across the top
    > tube of the high-dollar track frame? Very A-Team.
    >
    > I like chrome bikes, but the silver saddle on this year's Pista puts the
    > bike in Liberace territory.
    >
    > ---
    > Lars Lehtonen;5A

    i don't "know" sky, but i have met her and i can tell you, she's a
    really cool person that spends a lot of time riding and talking with
    people in all the major u.s. bike markets - riders, not just sales
    droids. my personal comment was that i /love/ the gray color of the '03
    pista more than the chrome '04. she said a lot of people loved the
    gray, but even more loved the chrome, so that's why it got the vote.

    i guess you can analyse the same way for all the other stuff you mention
    - but the point is, she /does/ do her homework, and what goes out as
    product is the result of consumer opinion in. i guess if you want to
    experess your opinion as well, track down one of your local bianchi
    dealers - they /will/ be talking to her sooner or later - and get them
    to convey your opinion. it will be heard sooner or later.

  11. I wrote:
    >> And it's a real pity that she tacks crap like that on the bikes.
    >> The "your bike sucks" tag on last year's S.I.S.S. made me not like her
    >> style, and the integration of the Cars-R-Coffins logo made me think
    >> less of them. Is she still stenciling "PISTA CONCEPT 200x" across the top
    >> tube of the high-dollar track frame? Very A-Team.
    >>
    >> I like chrome bikes, but the silver saddle on this year's Pista puts the
    >> bike in Liberace territory.

    According to jim beam <[email protected]>:

    >i don't "know" sky, but i have met her and i can tell you, she's a
    >really cool person that spends a lot of time riding and talking with
    >people in all the major u.s. bike markets - riders, not just sales
    >droids.

    I don't at all doubt that Sky Yeager is a wonderful person committed to
    cycling at more than a commercial level.

    [snip]

    >i guess you can analyse the same way for all the other stuff you mention
    >- but the point is, she /does/ do her homework, and what goes out as
    >product is the result of consumer opinion in. i guess if you want to
    >experess your opinion as well, track down one of your local bianchi
    >dealers - they /will/ be talking to her sooner or later - and get them
    >to convey your opinion. it will be heard sooner or later.

    Luckily, there are other bike companies out there. I should heed these
    words and not complain about the companies that aren't making stuff that
    interests me.

    I'll save my complaining for railing against the companies in the Bikes
    Belong industry lobbying group that are working with the AAA to get
    cyclists off the roads and on to crap paths. Bianchi isn't one of them.

    ----
    Lars Lehtonen

  12. Geoff King

    Geoff King Guest

    Actually when I was fitted I was told that I have "girly build".
    supposedly this is due to my irregularly long lower legs?