Bianchi OR Lemond

craigstanton

Oct 31, 2003
Hi All. Thanks ahead of time for whatever advice and/or experience you may have to offer in response to my question. First off, does anyone ride the new Bianchi Castro Valley as a commute bike? The Castro Valley is a new model available only in the States in 2005 -- it is a dedicated commuter bike. The Castro Valley is approximately $500 cheaper than the LeMond Poprad and the Bianchi Axis cyclocross bikes. I was originally committed to the idea of purchasing a cyclocross bike and converting for street use as a commuter -- but the Castro Valley seems so attractive for so much less money. Any reasons not to go with the Castro Valley, considering that I don't do any off-roading??????????????

The downside of that Bianchi is that it has a 42 tooth chainring on the front. That could make it tough to maintain speed in city traffic. The Lemond has a 46, so that'll be noticeably better.

Dweezle said:
The downside of that Bianchi is that it has a 42 tooth chainring on the front. That could make it tough to maintain speed in city traffic. The Lemond has a 46, so that'll be noticeably better.

Thanks Dweezle. That was my only concern with the Castro Valley as well. I ended up purchasing the Castro Valley, as most of my commute is not actually in city traffic. The 42 front chain ring is smack in between the top and bottom of my current commute rig double. If I have problems, I figure I can always get an odd casette and tweek it from the rear -- for example, add some lower gears and/or higher gears.