Bianchi Owners please step forward

mbakercad

Dec 11, 2003
I'm looking for a new bike and the Bianchi line has caught my eye. Main reason being they offer several nice steel bikes and campy compenents are available. I'm considering several of the model...top being the Boron framed bike. I like the heritage and the fact that you see very few of them locally. Plus I have grown to love the Celeste color :)

The problem is that I have gotten scared off per the rumors/stories of frame durability and quality. I do not doubt the one or two stories I have heard about cracked frames, but how common is this? I have also read people having problems with Bianchi warranting the bikes, but my local shop claims they have had nothing but supurb service from Bianchi. Others have claimed the Reparto Corse quality is pretty shabby these days.

How much of the above it true? Should I stay away? Any thoughts would be appreciated. How many folks are happy with their Bianchis?

Thanks

I can't say much yet, but so far I'm happy with my Vigorelli '03 (Celeste/Titanium), rides like a dream and the Reynolds 631 absorbs bumps and potholes with elegance/finesse. I'm just learning to work the gears off the hoods since is my first road bike, I had flat bars before, so there. I'm buying a Volpe today.
Corsaire

One of my work compadres suffered a major crash, complete w/ concussion, and broke her frame (a similar Boron/Al frame). Bianchi would not replace the frame w/o a major monetary investment, so she is switching to a mfg. that has a better crash replacement policy.

I highly recommend an Orbea for your new bike. They have some killer paint schemes, and all logos are painted on as well (AKA, their no-stickers frame concept). Spanish steel or Al, and I guarantee you will not see another one like it on the road. They also have a great crash replacement policy. Check it out:
www.orbea-usa.com

Cheers,
James

One of my work compadres suffered a major crash, complete w/ concussion, and broke her frame (a similar Boron/Al frame). Bianchi would not replace the frame w/o a major monetary investment, so she is switching to a mfg. that has a better crash replacement policy.

I highly recommend an Orbea for your new bike. They have some killer paint schemes, and all logos are painted on as well (AKA, their no-stickers frame concept). Spanish steel or Al, and I guarantee you will not see another one like it on the road. They also have a great crash replacement policy. Check it out:
www.orbea-usa.com

Cheers,
James

Thanks guys! Keep the Bianchi info coming.

jmcmillanut,
Like I said in my original post, I'm hoping for a Bianchi but if I think the problems are wide spread I will get something else. The Orbea's are nice looking bikes. Do they make a nice steel frame? Most that I see on their site are alum/carbon combo's. I'm not against them if they are made well from a company that will stand behind there product.

Reguarding the crach policy. I found the following on Orbea's site.

"The guarantee is not applicable in any circumstances to breaks or faults derived from negligent use of the bicycle, assembly of accessory elements which are not original, or inappropriate handling or maintenance operations."

They do have a lifetime warranty which is nice but it does not sound like they will take care of crashed bikes. Have you expericed otherwise?

Orbea does not have a dealer in WV so I emailed to see if they could send me a brochure and price list.

mbakercad,

Have not had the misfortune of crashing on my Orbea in a big way(knock on wood), so can't tell you how they would treat a crash.

W/ regards to the Bianchi, I just know what my friend told me (I think she's getting a Look by the way).

I've heard Trek/Klein/Lemond has a bomber crash replacement policy, but have not done any research into the subject, so that's pretty well hearsay.

Orbea's Ultrafoco and Zona framesets are both steel (the Ultrafoco has carbon seat and chain stays). Have not ridden these, but would assume that a steel/carbon combination would be dreamy.

Good luck in your search for a new road bike.

James

Excuse my ignorance. "I've heard Trek/Klein/Lemond has a bomber crash replacement policy..." Bomber? Good or bad?

I've ridden a Bianchi Giro (Al/Carbon) for many hard miles with no problems.

I'm currently riding a 2001 Bianchi EV2 XL (AL), and have had no problems with that one. Any grievances with the pre-2000 models were corrected several years ago.

I am building a new Bianchi EV4 (AL), and I've received only positive reports on that one, despite its unbelievably light weight. A good inspection of the frame reveals no obvious flaws. Also, my new EV4 has painted logos (no decals).

Bianchi warranties their frames from defects for 5 years, and so long as you are the original owner, they honor that warranty.

Now, if you crash your bike, I don't know how you could expect any manufacturer to warranty that.

Originally posted by Ted B

I am building a new Bianchi EV4 (AL), ....... A good inspection of the frame reveals no obvious flaws.

One would hope their inspection system was at least good enough to get them out the door. What happens later is another matter.

Any good mfg. has had or if it hasn't it will sooner or later a BAD batch, the best of the best have some problems evryonce in a while.
Bianchi had this bad batch as well, Orbea, the spaniards, are good, but not inmune to bad batches, like proven on their faulty pressure cooker steel once I dealt with, so there.
The bottom line here is warranty and good cust. service.
I love Bianchis and will buy again, if you're into looks, what people would say about your bike, then get the flashiest and more expensive your money can buy, if attention-getter is what you're after......
Corsaire

Originally posted by boudreaux
One would hope their inspection system was at least good enough to get them out the door. What happens later is another matter.

I'd say that's true of any brand. As far as Bianchi, my experiences have been 100% positive to this point and they have been a great value, so I'll stick with them until or unless I haven an event that convinces me otherwise.

I cannot find warranty information on their website nor in their 2003 brochure, but I was told they had a lifetime warranty on frames. Maybe on the steel frames only... Now I'm confused. What is the warranty policy on frames?

I agree that it is a lot to expect a manufacture to back crash damage. Do any manufactures do this?

Originally posted by mbakercad
Excuse my ignorance. "I've heard Trek/Klein/Lemond has a bomber crash replacement policy..." Bomber? Good or bad?
Good,but no free lunch

why are you so worry about CRASH, I haven't crashed (knock on wood!) in years, I try to ride carefully, but you never know, God forbid, why are you worry so much, are you planning to beat on it, bash it against a wall or something?
Corsaire ;)

My biggest concern is wheather Bianchi will stand behind there product in case something does happen. I have read at least one story saying they do not. I'm curious if this is isolated or the norm.

I'm considering either a Boron framed bike or the 631 steel frame. I have not read about any problems with the 631 but I have read about a Boron that cracked under normal use on the downtube. Anyone riding a Boron frame?

PS. In the case of an accident, I don't want a frame that will crumple like a tin can. Some suggest the Boron may act in such a way.

Originally posted by Corsaire
why are you so worry about CRASH, I haven't crashed (knock on wood!) in years, I try to ride carefully, but you never know, God forbid, why are you worry so much, are you planning to beat on it, bash it against a wall or something?
Corsaire ;)
How about other cyclists or vehicle morons running into you? Ever caught a tire in an expansion crack or hit a patch of ice or oher slick stuff. I would not buy or not buy because of crash replacement policy,but it matters to some types.

I have to agree with Boudreaux! You never plan on crashing and it's probably not a reason to buy or not buy one bike or another but it's definitely something worth considering! One thing that you can't just fix yourself is a wrecked frame!

I sold my Bianchi two months ago and did not have any problem with it. I now have a Orbea and just love it. The frame has a live time warranty which I like. It also has a softer ride with the carbon forks which helps on long rides. By the way Orbea are Basque bikes.

Basque Lady

i bought an 04 giro about a month ago. i hadn't ridden road in about three years and my last bike was a custom build (cheapy ti frame and good parts - dura etc) which i loved. bought the giro because i wanted to get back in to road riding for fitness and i thought it seemed decent. and it is, however it's unaggressive and somewhat muted feeling, which for the person getting into road riding for the first time, or perhaps moving up to their first more serious bike, is probably a great thing. however i prefer a more all-out racer feel, so i'm selling it on ebay right now. this is strictly a personal taste issue and nothing against what seems like a perfectly well put together bike that comes with a good spec for the price. build quality seems very good and it's a pretty machine. if you need an 04 53cm silver giro for cheap let me know.