bianchi quality

How original. Have never heard that before ;). Still waiting for a single member of this forum to come forward with a cracked Bianchi frame. To use borey's metaphor...not to worry then, old Schwinn steel frames never cracked...lol.George

biker7 said:
How original. Have never heard that before ;). Still waiting for a single member of this forum to come forward with a cracked Bianchi frame. To use borey's metaphor...not to worry then, old Schwinn steel frames never cracked...lol.George
A friend of mine had the Boron model and it cracked a few years ago. Bianchi replaced it with no problems. My friend lives oversees, but I will try to get details. I know he loves the replacement and just bought a new Bianchi this past year.
:cool:

the boron issue is yesterday's news and a very small subset of Bianchi's produced and not that big a surprise given its material properties. For those that don't know Boron's tendencies...Boron steels have a tensile strength of at least about 900 MPa (130 ksi), and for the metallurgy fans on the board...a microstructure comprised predominantly of fine-grained lower bainite and lath martensite transformed from austenite grains with carbon, silicon, manganese and copper additives. Translation: Boron is very strong and can be thinned out to be made very light at the expense in this case of fatigue resistance. And Bianchi did warranty those issues. Still waiting for all of the Bianchi owners with broken frames on this forum to come clean.
Hmmm...funny doesn't seem to be any.
George

biker7 said:
the boron issue is yesterday's news and a very small subset of Bianchi's produced and not that big a surprise given its material properties. For those that don't know Boron's tendencies...Boron steels have a tensile strength of at least about 900 MPa (130 ksi), and for the metallurgy fans on the board...a microstructure comprised predominantly of fine-grained lower bainite and lath martensite transformed from austenite grains with carbon, silicon, manganese and copper additives. Translation: Boron is very strong and can be thinned out to be made very light at the expense in this case of fatigue resistance. And Bianchi did warranty those issues. Still waiting for all of the Bianchi owners with broken frames on this forum to come clean.
Hmmm...funny doesn't seem to be any.
George
I just got back into riding after many years away from it (nearly 20) and I am tipping the scales at well over 225. I have been flogging my Bianchi Eros up and down the hills of San Francisco, with no complaints so far. The campagnolo components are great and shift like a dream. I'm mostly worried about finding a great tire that matches puncture resistance with good road feel.

I'm looking forward to being able to post that I weigh 190. I'm keeping at it and hoping to do some centuries before the summer is out.

Spend 800-900 bucks on an Eros to see if you like it. You can always sell it for most of what you paid and step up to something more high end if you need to.

contrary to my remark earlier, a few years ago i broke my bianchi lugged steel mountain bike frame at the dropout. to be fair, i had a broken axle and being steel, it welded up fairly easily.

i got my LBS to do the welding as i bought the bike secondhand and i think bianchi had changed distributors in australia over the period

to be honest I like my steel bianchi veloce..i've used it for a couple year as a geared bike, and now for 2 years as a fixed gear bike...works fine for me..i weigh about 215 and never had a flex issue with it..

I had a friend who has a boron Xl and he warranted the paint on it....the warrantee period that his LBS gave him was 3 years....i have no idea how true that was or if it still is...

Long term owner of a Bianchi and still very happy...
Have not had any breakages nor have any of my Bianchi-riding friends, even the heavier guys.

Different story with the Scott CR-1 Team issue - 2/5 breakages in the guys I ride with.