Bianchi SL Cross fork question ???

ijustwannaride

Nov 7, 2003
A couple of months ago I purchased a Bianchi SL cyclocross frame and fork on a manufactures close out. This frame and another warranty frame came with a non-unicrown fork. This was unlike older frames that I have seen and unlike those shown in the 2002 catalog.

The problem is that there is very little tire clearance on this fork I can only put on a 700x30 speedmax tire and even that has only about 1/8" clearance at best. Its the smallest cross tire I have and it barely fits. I'm really disappointed as I was counting on this as my snow bike with big tires and ice clearance.

I called Bianchi about this and with much prodding and several weeks, they finally came up with a fork from a Volpe. Golly the wrong red fork on a celeste bike. Jeezzz! That was the only solution they were willing to offer and I'm not real pleased but they are entiteled to make changes anytime they want. If its a change then fine I can live with it. (I did not get the impression that is was a change from the person I talked to at Bianchi) If however if they are just unloading a frame with a wrong fork and there are correct forks available then I'm not a happy at all.

So here are the questions.

Has Bianchi changed the fork on new models reducing the tire clearance?

Does anybody know if the uni-crown fork is available as a service part from Bianchi for this frame.

Thanks

Originally posted by ijustwannaride
A couple of months ago I purchased a Bianchi SL cyclocross frame and fork on a manufactures close out. This frame and another warranty frame came with a non-unicrown fork. This was unlike older frames that I have seen and unlike those shown in the 2002 catalog.

The problem is that there is very little tire clearance on this fork I can only put on a 700x30 speedmax tire and even that has only about 1/8" clearance at best. Its the smallest cross tire I have and it barely fits. I'm really disappointed as I was counting on this as my snow bike with big tires and ice clearance.

I called Bianchi about this and with much prodding and several weeks, they finally came up with a fork from a Volpe. Golly the wrong red fork on a celeste bike. Jeezzz! That was the only solution they were willing to offer and I'm not real pleased but they are entiteled to make changes anytime they want. If its a change then fine I can live with it. (I did not get the impression that is was a change from the person I talked to at Bianchi) If however if they are just unloading a frame with a wrong fork and there are correct forks available then I'm not a happy at all.

Does anybody know if the uni-crown fork is available as a service part from Bianchi for this frame.

Thanks
Maybe only Bianchi Has the answers.The 2003 axis cross is listed as having 35mm tyres and the cross concept has 30c. Cut your losses anf grief and send the mess back.

ijustwannaride said:

Thanks

I just put an '01 SL on Layaway. It has the steel fork and as far as I know will accept larger tires. Can you Email a photo of your fork? I may be interested in a carbon fiber cross fork anyway and could perhaps sell you my steel one, if it's what you're looking for. I can Email a photo of mine in any case. Let me know. john