Bianchi SL3 Mega Pro or Trek 5200

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Mark Roberts, Jul 26, 2004.

  1. Mark Roberts

    Mark Roberts Guest

    Hi

    I am very very close to making a decision on getting a road racer to
    supplement my steel tourer/audax bike.

    I think the Bianchi SL3 Mega Pro looks great, doesn't appear to be the
    lightest of bikes...

    Can anyone tell me if the Trek 5200 is worth the extra £500? I mean
    it's out of my budget, but hey, this should be a once in 5-10 years
    purchase, so the money's not really the issue!

    Thought most appreciated...
    Mark.

    Tags:

  2. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    Mark Roberts <[email protected]> wrote:

    : Can anyone tell me if the Trek 5200 is worth the extra £500? I mean

    Have you ridden either of them? Which one fits the best?

    --
    Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org
    - Paulina Borsook

  3. MSeries

    MSeries New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2003
    I hope when you say 'looks great' you mean it looks like it will do the job for you at a price you can afford. Don't buy a bike for what it looks like, bikes are functional machines not artworks. If the Trek is out of your budget then you can't afford it, the difference in weight is where your money goes, you don't get what you pay for ! If the Bianchi is the lightest bike you can afford it will be the one you have to get. If you want to keep the bike at least five years and I applaud you for that, then even the lighter bike will not be the lightest bike in less than that time, so why worry now ? Remember no one can tell the weight of a bike by looking at it and the Bianchi looks great - right ?

  4. Mark Roberts

    Mark Roberts Guest

    I haven't ridden either. I'm 6'5'' and very slim, which means i need
    the biggest frame of either... but it's difficult get bike shops to
    order in one let alone both of these bikes for me to test.

  5. Mark Roberts

    Mark Roberts Guest

    Hmm. don't take me too literally - i love cycling and don't really
    need to be told there's more to a book than the cover, thanks.

    When i say 'looks great' i mean exactly that, the spec, reviews and
    any bits of info i can gleam look great!

    The Trek looks great too. Guess I was hoping for some constuctive
    commentary on the benefits of the 5200 over the SL3, considering the
    33% price hike.

  6. pgtips

    pgtips New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 25, 2004
    hi
    u online

  7. TJ

    TJ Guest

    I have a standard 54cm 2002 5200 full ultegra which I bought for the Gran
    Fondo Campagnolo of that year.

    I absolutely love it it's the best ride i've ever known and i've put a good
    few thousand miles into it now. I should also say though that it's the first
    bike i've owned at this pricing level and also i've never riden the SL3.

    There are dealers who have 5200's in stock but you'll have to do some
    ringing around to track one down - Trek UK can probably help you.

    I have no desire to own any other bike it rides absolutely silent and the
    ride is sublime, my only regret is that I can't ride it to work everyday as
    there is no secure parking :-(

    TJ

    news:[email protected]