Bianchi Veloce v/s Trek 105

sppc42

Nov 17, 2010
Fellow bikers,

Am in need of an advice here. I used to ride an MTB, then converted to road, riding a fixie for long distances. I've covered thousands of kms on that and now am planning for a geared version, my knees are now kind of giving up on those steep slopes :-|

I am confused betweek the Trek 2.3 with all 105 components v/s Bianchi Nirone with part Veloce components:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products-comparison?products=ec025811%7Cec023948

Pricewise, both are almost the same. Trek 2.3 is component by component match with Madone 4.5, only frame is Al. Bianchi is part Veloce. I have fair amount of idea about 105, but none about Veloce. From what I read, its almost as good as the 105. But, this Bianchi bike is not having all Veloce components, like the chainset and the brakes, whilst Trek is having 105 throughout.

Totally confused. Please advise!

cheers!
Sandy

Veloce is Campagnolo's version of the 105. It is definately good stuff, as good as Shimano 105 if not better. All of the components that are on the Bianchi are good, and would complement each other as well as if they were all of the same group. One thing to remember is that Campy brifters can be rebuilt but Shimano brifters must be replaced. Bianchi has a long and prestigious history, so your bike has good bloodlines.

Trek is also a good brand, however their bikes are sort of cookie cutter bikes. There are more Treks sold than any other bike, mainly because they have good prices but they also have a L-A-R-G-E Advertising Budget. Here in the US there are Trek Stores that sell nothing but Trek Bicycles. The Shimano 105 is a good group, I have it on several of my bikes.

Basically, these two bikes are great bikes. Each has its own strengths and weaknesses. The best thing that you could do is get a test ride on each one of them and let that be your guide. If you can't get a ride on them, then just pick the one that you want. They are both good bikes and I am pretty sure that you would be pleased with whichever one you got.

Reactions: steve
Thanks for the wonderful inputs! Appreciate it.

I now understand that the Veloce and 105 are mostly similar, so it all boils down to other components. The frame for Trek is Al, whilst its a mix of carbon-al for Bianchi (I hope I got that correct). Plus, the Bontrager rims on Trek are known component, though heavy at 1.9Kg a pair, whilst the Mach1 on Bianchi are not much heard of, but are only 1kg for the pair. Then the brakes and the chainset on Bianchi, not Veloce.

Do you think those should matter? Am planning to ask my LBS to get both the bikes so that I can test ride them. But even then, the initial feel might be same or somewhat different, its the long run of the componenets am worried about.

Thanks
Sandy

I think it should boil down to which bike feels best for you if you get a chance to test ride both. If you cannot test ride them then it could be just a matter of which you prefer.

The Trek is more expensive but is it really worth any extra money ? The Bianchi has carbon rear stays which may make it a better ride and the frame may be a little lighter. The Trek does have 105 throughout, but hey.....the Bianchi is an Italian bike and equiped with Campagnolo Veloce part-group, that is a nice combination.

And I have rode both Shimano and Campagnolo for many years and much prefer Campag. In my opinion it works better, looks better, and lasts longer and is easier repaired if anything does go wrong. The Mach 1 wheels are fine, indeed they are a very good wheel for the price. All the components on the Bianchi are good quality so for me it is a no brainer, if it fits and rides good for you, save some money and get the Bianchi !

I had a Trek once, and also rode my friends Bianchi for a while. Hard to say which I prefered due to ride quality etc, but riding the Bianchi made me feel better :)

I used to ride a bianch via nerone spec'ed similarly to the one you are looking at, I think. I LOVED my bike. It rode great and shifted great. It was comfortable, sexy, and gorgeous (to me anyway) in celeste (bianchi green). I "upgraded" to an all carbon fiber beauty because I was taking my racing to a new level and wanted a lighter ride, and while I had to sell the bianchi, I still miss it :)

Take both for a ride and see which one you like best /img/vbsmilies/smilies/cool.gif for what its worth, i'd choose Veloce over 105 any day.

FWIW. I would choose the Bianchi over the Trek because:

• While I love Shimano components ([COLOR= #808080]and, Shimano's Customer Service in North America[/COLOR]), Campagnolo shifters are (IMO) better -- I use Campagnolo shifters with Shimano derailleurs/cassettes
  • The Bianchi does not carry the residual & persistent "Lance Effect" price premium which you are paying if you buy a Trek
  • Cosmetically, IMO, a Celeste Green Bianchi has unparalleled staying power -- the color may be an acquired taste, but once you do, you'll always like it

Friends,

Thanks a lot for all the inputs.

I finally ended up buying the Bianchi (popular vote!). I have been riding a 58cm fixie and felt that I had to stretch a tad bit on that. Trek was also available in that size only. Bianchi was in 57 and 59, so after riding Trek 58cms and Bianchi 57 and 59cms, finally got the Bianchi 57cm. Its a very good fit. The ride feels very comfortable and smooth. The bike itself is very responsive and stiff, with the carbon components nicely dampening the road vibes.

Initially I was very uncomfortable with the Campy's style, being more used (exposed) to the STI. But it is indeed very smooth! Need to test it yet on really long rides.

And above all - it looks stunning! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

Thanks again for all the inputs, really appreciate it!

Just Ride!
Sandy

Originally Posted by sppc42 .

Friends,

Thanks a lot for all the inputs.

I finally ended up buying the Bianchi (popular vote!). I have been riding a 58cm fixie and felt that I had to stretch a tad bit on that. Trek was also available in that size only. Bianchi was in 57 and 59, so after riding Trek 58cms and Bianchi 57 and 59cms, finally got the Bianchi 57cm. Its a very good fit. The ride feels very comfortable and smooth. The bike itself is very responsive and stiff, with the carbon components nicely dampening the road vibes.

Initially I was very uncomfortable with the Campy's style, being more used (exposed) to the STI. But it is indeed very smooth! Need to test it yet on really long rides.

And above all - it looks stunning! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

Thanks again for all the inputs, really appreciate it!

Just Ride!
Sandy
Nice!

You should be very happy with it for a quite a while.

Congratulations on a good choice! It is the same choice I would have made. I like the Bianchi, not that there is anything wrong with the Trek or a Shimano 105 group set. There is just someting about a good Italian bike and the Celeste Green that makes me feel good.