Bianchi vs Ridley?

bianchi10

Oct 28, 2009
I currently have a 2009 Bianchi via nirone with ultegra shifters and derailer. 105 brakes. It is an alum. frame with carbon forks and seat stay.

I rode my friends 2009 Ridley scandium with FULL ultegra set up with an alum. frame.carbon forks and seat stay. I LOVED this bike. Even though they are both aluminum frames, it felt MUCH stiffer and all around better/smoother.

He is now offering this bike to me as is (in FANTASTIC condition) for $1200. I have a friend who said he would give me $1200 for my bike, so I would end up even in the end. I do a lot of hill climbs so I would prefer a stiffer frame. I would love a new full carbon bike but I dont have much money to be spending on another bike anytime soon, so I'm wondering if this would be a nice move for me that wouldn't cost me anything. Or concerned it would be kind of a lateral move and not do much for me other than have a different color bike.

Both bikes are the same size, but not sure on the specifics as far as details such as top tube lengths etc....
what are your thoughts?

Just as ex-Senator Craig had a difficult time not playing tiddlywinks with the fellow in the next bathroom stall, it's difficult to resist new found bike lust. If your friend's bike really grabbed you buy the grollies and spun you around, screaming "Ride me! Spank me! Ride me! Spank me!" as you suggest, then go for it. So long as you're happy with the financial considerations, the condition of his bike, and everything that makes for wholesome bike lust, there's nothing for you to really lose. It's certainly a nice upgrade, going from 105 to Ultegra.

True. I understand that if it makes me want to ride me then go for it. but I'm looking for more of a factual based comparison between the two bikes. such as.."the aluminum of the ridley is stiffer, therfor it will benefit you." something that will define a distinct line saying this bike is worth it and if it fits you than I wouldn't pass on it. I am still new to cycling and many of you know more about the details between brands, that is what I was hoping to get out of this.

BUT, ride me spank me, ride me spank me sounds like a pretty distinct answer too! :eek:

bianchi10 said:
...I'm looking for more of a factual based comparison between the two bikes. such as.."the aluminum of the ridley is stiffer, therfor it will benefit you."

Unfortunately, I don't know that stiffness data for each of the frames exists in the public domain. More importantly, there's not a single study that's been done that shows bike performance is a function of bike stiffness. Despite all the claims by manufacturers and everything that magazine reviewers write, there is no established relationship between bike stiffness and bike performance. It's important to note that what a rider interprets as being a "stiff bike" may not be a stiff bike. With all that said, all that really matters is how you interpret what you feel. That's as good as you can get.

bianchi10 said:
True. I understand that if it makes me want to ride me then go for it. but I'm looking for more of a factual based comparison between the two bikes. such as.."the aluminum of the ridley is stiffer, therfor it will benefit you." something that will define a distinct line saying this bike is worth it and if it fits you than I wouldn't pass on it. I am still new to cycling and many of you know more about the details between brands, that is what I was hoping to get out of this.
FYI. While a frame or fork can be tuned to feel however the engineer chooses exclusive of the material, the specifications for the "tubing" may (i.e., probably, more often than not) simply be to ensure the longevity of the frame ... and, the geometry probably makes more of a difference than the material except in extreme examples (e.g., the tubing on the Litespeed Ghisallo was apparently under-spec'd and the frame was supposedly flexy as a consequence).

When Scandium (an aluminum alloy) was first used for bicycle frames, Scandium tubing was described as having the characteristics of STEEL tubing ...

So, the stiffness you are experiencing may be due to the frame's geometry ... shorter chainstays will make the frame more responsive (which can be good-or-bad depending on whether it is rider-or-road response!).

IMO, there aren't a lot of variables to how a bike feels/rides, but there are some which are NOT due to the material the frame is made from.

In addition to the frame's geometry being a factor in how a bike rides, the difference in the ride YOU observed may-or-may-not have been due to the wheels ... OR, the way they were built (i.e., how well the spokes are tensioned) ...

OR, the difference may have been due to a difference in the tires & tubes ... or, just air pressure!?!

Et cetera.

BTW. As you may have observed, the superficial difference between Ultegra brake calipers & 105 calipers is how much/little the calipers are polished. The Ultegra calipers probably have the same pads as DA calipers have ... while DA pads are considered to be amongst the best, the real world difference for most riders is probably negligible.

Bianchi is a great brand. Ridley is considered to be a great brand. So, IMO, if the change is not going to cost you anything AND you love the way the particular Ridley is set up, then there isn't any reason not to make the change.

alfeng said:
FYI. While a frame or fork can be tuned to feel however the engineer chooses exclusive of the material, the specifications for the "tubing" may (i.e., probably, more often than not) simply be to ensure the longevity of the frame ... and, the geometry probably makes more of a difference than the material except in extreme examples (e.g., the tubing on the Litespeed Ghisallo was apparently under-spec'd and the frame was supposedly flexy as a consequence).

When Scandium (an aluminum alloy) was first used for bicycle frames, Scandium tubing was described as having the characteristics of STEEL tubing ...

So, the stiffness you are experiencing may be due to the frame's geometry ... shorter chainstays will make the frame more responsive (which can be good-or-bad depending on whether it is rider-or-road response!).

IMO, there aren't a lot of variables to how a bike feels/rides, but there are some which are NOT due to the material the frame is made from.

In addition to the frame's geometry being a factor in how a bike rides, the difference in the ride YOU observed may-or-may-not have been due to the wheels ... OR, the way they were built (i.e., how well the spokes are tensioned) ...

OR, the difference may have been due to a difference in the tires & tubes ... or, just air pressure!?!

Et cetera.

BTW. As you may have observed, the superficial difference between Ultegra brake calipers & 105 calipers is how much/little the calipers are polished. The Ultegra calipers probably have the same pads as DA calipers have ... while DA pads are considered to be amongst the best, the real world difference for most riders is probably negligible.

Bianchi is a great brand. Ridley is considered to be a great brand. PSo, IMO, if the change is not going to cost you anything AND you love the way the particular Ridley is set up, then there isn't any reason not to make the change.
Thank you for a great write up and response. Very much appreciated!

Get the Ridley. It will elicit more interest and questions when you show up for group rides on it. Seriously.

But....But....You'll have to get a new moniker to go with your new Ridley? (Is "The Riddler" taken?

Seriously.....seems like a no-brainer to me. Go for it!