Bib vs non-bib shorts

andyanansu

Sep 10, 2004
Hi

I have tried both bib & non-bib shorts, but can't really tell the difference in term of peformance.

The bib should feel a little hotter as it have more fabric to cover your body.

Just wondering what is the idea of having 2 straps weighting on your shoulders and what benefit to it?

Thanks

Andy

andyanansu said:
Hi

I have tried both bib & non-bib shorts, but can't really tell the difference in term of peformance.

Just wondering what is the idea of having 2 straps weighting on your shoulders and what benefit to it?

Thanks

Andy
Bibs just hold everything together a little better (IMHO).

I think the idea behind bib shorts is to provide extra comfort on long rides but the main differnce I see is a lack of a constricting waist line. I have a few pairs of cheap (non-bib) shorts that seem to be faster but they are made of lighter material.

Bibs are the only way to go, far more comfortable long or short rides. Remember; no underwear.

andyanansu said:
Hi

Thanks

Andy
I can't say I notice a huge difference when riding. I don't notice the straps at all. It's probably true there is a little heat/sweat retention due to the extra fabric but I'd hardly call it noticeable.

On big advantage for bibs is the added sun protection on the lower back. Granted it's only a corner case, but one time I returned from a long ride to learn I'd worn a bad combination of shorts and a jersey that was a bit too short in the back. Since that time I've only invested in bibs and I've reserved my shorts for indoor training only.

I love bibs but the one thing that seems to bother me the most is that the short fabric comes almost up to my belly button and makes it a little tougher to breathe. They do hold "everything" together better though, definitely agree there.

I'm a bit of a larger rider and I prefer bibs simply because there will be times the jersey will ride up and the shorts will ride down.

Not that I mind it, but the benefit of drafting behind me is countered by the fact that you see all of me :)

mattjf said:
I'm a bit of a larger rider and I prefer bibs simply because there will be times the jersey will ride up and the shorts will ride down.

Not that I mind it, but the benefit of drafting behind me is countered by the fact that you see all of me :)
LOL

I use both and like both.

I am also a larger rider and I got my first set of bibs yesterday. I really liked them and don't plan on going back to regular shorts. As others has said, they seem to really hold things together.

my 2 cents.. bibs great for longer rides.... 50 mi say... but shorts for the 15 - 20's just fine...

I've tried both but use non bibs. When I'm into the ride I don't notice the waist - doesn't cut in etc. Less material when it's hot. No feeling of having shoulder's pulled down by the shoulder straps. When I've eaten too much and not enough time on the bike I like the way that the waist on non bibs helps keep my (small!!) gut in. Easier to take off too. :)

capwater said:
Bibs are the only way to go, far more comfortable long or short rides. Remember; no underwear.

so i'm supposed to wear underwear with the shorts? i wear pearl izumi ultrasensor shorts, but i never wear underwear with them. should i be? or did i misunderstand your post?

While bibs are perferred by most riders, they don't suit everyone. My upper body is much larger than my midriff and I had to have the shoulder straps lengthen by 5cm and I stll need a bit more, so will need to do it again. And to be honest, I don't notice the benefit around the midriff of not having elastic.

sma said:
so i'm supposed to wear underwear with the shorts? i wear pearl izumi ultrasensor shorts, but i never wear underwear with them. should i be? or did i misunderstand your post?
No you misunterstood! You do not ever wear underwear under cycling shorts! They will just get stretched out, drenched with groin sweat, and serve no purpose except to create pressure points around your ****! So you're donig it right by wearing nothing underneath cycling shorts or bibs.

sma said:

"Remember; no underwear." That is pretty clear I think.......

Depending on your shape, there may be a much bigger difference.

Unless you have a small waist shorts will tend to ride down. I used shorts for an in-town ride the other day because I didn't want to have to change into a bib (I find the straps annoying when walking around for hours). Whenever I had to put my foot down the crotch got snagged on the saddle! especially when trying to remount.

Henceforth I will use shorts only for riding at the gym.