Bible Contadictions

W

Wholey_smoke

Bible Contradictions PAUL SAID, "God is not the author of confusion," (I Corinthians 14:33), yet
never has a book produced more confusion than the bible! There are hundreds of denominations and
sects, all using the "inspired Scriptures" to prove their conflicting doctrines. Why do trained
theologians differ? Why do educated translators disagree over Greek and Hebrew meanings? Why all the
confusion? Shouldn't a document that was "divinely inspired" by an omniscient and omnipotent deity
be as clear as possible?

"If the trumpet give an uncertain sound," Paul wrote in I Corinthians 14:8, "who shall prepare
himself to the battle? So likewise ye, except ye utter by the tongue words easy to be understood,
how shall it be known what is spoken? for ye shall speak into the air." Exactly! Paul should have
practiced what he preached. For almost two millennia, the bible has been producing a most
"uncertain sound."

The problem is not with human limitations, as some claim. The problem is the bible itself. People
who are free of theological bias notice that the bible contains hundreds of discrepancies. Should it
surprise us when such a literary and moral mish-mash, taken seriously, causes so much discord? Here
is a brief sampling of biblical contradictions.

Should we kill?
a.. Exodus 20:13 "Thou shalt not kill."
b.. Leviticus 24:17 "And he that killeth any man shall surely be put to death." vs.

c.. Exodus 32:27 "Thus sayeth the Lord God of Israel, Put every man his sword by his side, . . .
and slay every man his brother, . . . companion, .
. . neighbor."
d.. I Samuel 6:19 " . . . and the people lamented because the Lord had smitten many of the people
with a great slaughter."
e.. I Samuel 15:2,3,7,8 "Thus saith the Lord . . . Now go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy
all that they have, and spare them not; but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and
sheep, camel and ass. . . . And Saul smote the Amalekites . . . and utterly destroyed all the
people with the edge of the sword."
f.. Numbers 15:36 "And all the congregation brought him without the camp, and stoned him with
stones, and he died; as the Lord commanded Moses."
g.. Hosea 13:16 "they shall fall by the sword: their infants shall be dashed in pieces, and their
women with children shall be ripped up." For a discussion of the defense that the Commandments
prohibit only murder, see "Murder, He Wrote", chapter 27 (Losing Faith In Faith: From Preacher
To Atheist).

Should we tell lies?
h.. Exodus 20:16 "Thou shalt not bear false witness."
i.. Proverbs 12:22 "Lying lips are an abomination to the Lord." vs.

j.. I Kings 22:23 "The Lord hath put a lying spirit in the mouth of all these thy prophets, and
the Lord hath spoken evil concerning thee."
k.. II Thessalonians 2:11 "And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they
should believe a lie." Also, compare Joshua 2:4-6 with James 2:25.

Should we steal?
l.. Exodus 20:15 "Thou shalt not steal."
m.. Leviticus 19:13 "Thou shalt not defraud thy neighbor, neither rob him." vs.

n.. Exodus 3:22 "And ye shall spoil the Egyptians."
o.. Exodus 12:35-36 "And they spoiled [plundered, NRSV] the Egyptians."
p.. Luke 19:29-34 "[Jesus] sent two of his disciples, Saying, Go ye into the village . . . ye
shall find a colt tied, whereon yet never man sat: loose him, and bring him hither. And if any
man ask you, Why do ye loose him? thus shall ye say unto him, Because the Lord hath need of him.
. . . And as they were loosing the colt, the owners thereof said unto them, Why loose ye the
colt? And they said, The Lord hath need of him." I was taught as a child that when you take
something without asking for it, that is stealing.

Shall we keep the sabbath?
q.. Exodus 20:8 "Remember the sabbath day to keep it holy."
r.. Exodus 31:15 "Whosoever doeth any work in the sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death."
s.. Numbers 15:32,36 "And while the children of Israel were in the wilderness, they found a man
that gathered sticks upon the sabbath day. . .
. And all the congregation brought him without the camp, and stoned him with stones, and he died; as
the Lord commanded Moses." vs.

d.. Isaiah 1:13 "The new moons and sabbaths, the calling of assemblies, I cannot away with; it is
iniquity."
e.. John 5:16 "And therefore did the Jews persecute Jesus and sought to slay him, because he had
done these things on the sabbath day."
f.. Colossians 2:16 "Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holy-
day, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days." Shall we make graven images?
g.. Exodus 20:4 "Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of anything that
is in heaven . . . earth . . . water."
h.. Leviticus 26:1 "Ye shall make ye no idols nor graven image, neither rear you up a standing
image, neither shall ye set up any image of stone."
i.. Deuteronomy 27:15 "Cursed be the man that maketh any graven or molten image." vs.

j.. Exodus 25:18 "And thou shalt make two cherubims of gold, of beaten work shalt thou make them."
k.. I Kings 7:15,16,23,25 "For he [Solomon] cast two pillars of brass . .
. and two chapiters of molten brass . . . And he made a molten sea . . . it stood upon twelve oxen .
. . [and so on]" Are we saved through works?
a.. Ephesians 2:8,9 "For by grace are ye saved through faith . . . not of works."
b.. Romans 3:20,28 "Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in
his sight."
c.. Galatians 2:16 "Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith
of Jesus Christ." vs.

d.. James 2:24 "Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only."
e.. Matthew 19:16-21 "And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall
I do, that I may have eternal life? And he [Jesus] said unto him . . . keep the commandments. .
. . The young man saith unto him, All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I
yet? Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the
poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven." The common defense here is that "we are saved by
faith and works." But Paul said "not of works."

Should good works be seen?
f.. Matthew 5:16 "Let your light so shine before men that they may see your good works."
g.. I Peter 2:12 "Having your conversation honest among the Gentiles: that
. . . they may by your good works, which they shall behold, glorify God in the day of
visitation." vs.

c.. Matthew 6:1-4 "Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them . . . that
thine alms may be in secret."
d.. Matthew 23:3,5 "Do not ye after their [Pharisees'] works. . . . all their works they do for to
be seen of men." Should we own slaves?
e.. Leviticus 25:45-46 "Moreover of the children of the strangers that do sojourn among you,
of them shall ye buy, . . . and they shall be your possession . . . they shall be your
bondmen forever."
f.. Genesis 9:25 "And he [Noah] said, Cursed be Canaan; a servant of servants shall he be unto his
brethren."
g.. Exodus 21:2,7 "If thou buy an Hebrew servant, six years he shall serve: and in the seventh he
shall go out free for nothing. . . . And if a man sell his daughter to be a maidservant, she
shall not go out as the manservants do."
h.. Joel 3:8 "And I will sell your sons and your daughters into the hand of the children of Judah,
and they shall sell them to the Sabeans, to a people far off: for the Lord hath spoken it."
i.. Luke 12:47,48 [Jesus speaking] "And that servant, which knew his lord's will, and prepared not
himself, neither did according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes. But he that knew
not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes."
j.. Colossians 3:22 "Servants, obey in all things your masters." vs.

k.. Isaiah 58:6 "Undo the heavy burdens . . . let the oppressed go free, .
. . break every yoke."
h.. Matthew 23:10 "Neither be ye called Masters: for one is your Master, even Christ." Pro-slavery
bible verses were cited by many churches in the South during the Civil War, and were used by
some theologians in the Dutch Reformed Church to justify apartheid in South Africa. There are
more pro-slavery verses than cited here.

Does God change his mind?
i.. Malachi 3:6 "For I am the Lord; I change not."
j.. Numbers 23:19 "God is not a man, that he should lie; neither the son of man, that he
should repent."
k.. Ezekiel 24:14 "I the Lord have spoken it: it shall come to pass, and I will do it; I will not
go back, neither will I spare, neither will I repent."
l.. James 1:17 " . . . the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of
turning." vs.

m.. Exodus 32:14 "And the Lord repented of the evil which he thought to do unto his people."
n.. Genesis 6:6,7 "And it repented the Lord that he had made man on the earth . . . And the Lord
said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth . . . for it repenteth
me that I have made him."
o.. Jonah 3:10 ". . . and God repented of the evil, that he had said that he would do unto them;
and he did it not." See also II Kings 20:1-7, Numbers 16:20-35, Numbers 16:44-50.

See Genesis 18:23-33, where Abraham gets God to change his mind about the minimum number of
righteous people in Sodom required to avoid destruction, bargaining down from fifty to ten. (An
omniscient God must have known that he was playing with Abraham's hopes for mercy--he destroyed
the city anyway.)

Are we punished for our parents' sins?
p.. Exodus 20:5 "For I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers
upon the children unto the third and fourth generation." (Repeated in Deuteronomy 5:9)
q.. Exodus 34:6-7 " . . . The Lord God, merciful and gracious, . . . that will by no means clear
the guilty; visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, and upon the children's
children, unto the third and to the fourth generation."
r.. I Corinthians 15:22 "For as in Adam all die, . . ." vs.

s.. Ezekiel 18:20 "The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father."
t.. Deuteronomy 24:16 "The fathers shall not be put to death for the children, neither shall the
children be put to death for the fathers: every man shall be put to death for his own sin." Is
God good or evil?
u.. Psalm 145:9 "The Lord is good to all."
v.. Deuteronomy 32:4 "a God of truth and without iniquity, just and right is he." vs.

w.. Isaiah 45:7 "I make peace and create evil. I the Lord do all these things." See "Out of
Context" for more on Isaiah 45:7.
x.. Lamentations 3:38 "Out of the mouth of the most High proceedeth not evil and good?"
y.. Jeremiah 18:11 "Thus saith the Lord; Behold, I frame evil against you, and devise a device
against you."
z.. Ezekiel 20:25,26 "I gave them also statutes that were not good, and judgments whereby they
should not live. And I polluted them in their own gifts, in that they caused to pass through the
fire all that openeth the womb, that I might make them desolate, to the end that they might know
that I am the Lord." Does God tempt people?
z.. James 1:13 "Let no man say . . . I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil,
neither tempteth he any man." vs.

z.. Genesis 22:1 "And it came to pass after these things, that God did tempt Abraham." Is God
peaceable?
z.. Romans 15:33 "The God of peace."
z.. Isaiah 2:4 ". . . and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into
pruninghooks: nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any
more." vs.

z.. Exodus 15:3 "The Lord is a man of war."
z.. Joel 3:9-10 "Prepare war, wake up the mighty men, let all the men of war draw near; let them
come up: Beat your plowshares into swords, and your pruninghooks into spears: let the weak say,
I am strong." Was Jesus peaceable?
z.. John 14:27 "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you."
z.. Acts 10:36 "The word which God sent unto the children of Israel, preaching peace by
Jesus Christ."
z.. Luke 2:14 " . . . on earth peace, good will toward men." vs.

z.. Matthew 10:34 "Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but
a sword. For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her
mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law. And a man's foes shall be they of his
own household."
z.. Luke 22:36 "Then said he unto them, . . . he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and
buy one." Was Jesus trustworthy?
z.. John 8:14 "Though I bear record of myself, yet my record is true." vs.

z.. John 5:31 "If I bear witness of myself, my witness is not true." "Record" and "witness" in the
above verses are the same Greek word (martyria).

Shall we call people names?
z.. Matthew 5:22 "Whosoever shall say Thou fool, shall be in danger of hellfire." [Jesus
speaking] vs.

z.. Matthew 23:17 "Ye fools and blind." [Jesus speaking]
z.. Psalm 14:1 "The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God." Has anyone seen God?
z.. John 1:18 "No man hath seen God at any time."
z.. Exodus 33:20 "Thou canst not see my face: for there shall no man see me, and live."
z.. John 6:46 "Not that any man hath seen the Father, save he which is of God [Jesus], he hath
seen the Father."
z.. I John 4:12 "No man hath seen God at any time." vs.

z.. Genesis 32:30 "For I have seen God face to face."
z.. Exodus 33:11 "And the Lord spake unto Moses face to face, as a man speaketh unto his friend."
z.. Isaiah 6:1 "In the year that king Uzziah died I saw also the Lord sitting upon a throne, high
and lifted up, and his train filled the temple."
z.. Job 42:5 "I have heard of thee by the hearing of the ear: but now mine eye seeth thee." How
many Gods are there?
z.. Deuteronomy 6:4 "The Lord our God is one Lord." vs.

z.. Genesis 1:26 "And God said, Let us make man in our image."
z.. Genesis 3:22 "And the Lord God said, Behold, the man has become as one of us, to know good
and evil."
z.. I John 5:7 "And there are three that bear witness in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the
Holy Ghost: and these three are one." It does no good to claim that "Let us" is the
magisterial "we." Such usage implies inclusivity of all authorities under a king's leadership.
Invoking the Trinity solves nothing because such an idea is more contradictory than the
problem it attempts to solve.

Are we all sinners?
z.. Romans 3:23 "For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God."
z.. Romans 3:10 "As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one."
z.. Psalm 14:3 "There is none that doeth good, no, not one." vs.

z.. Job 1:1 "There was a man . . . who name was Job; and that man was perfect and upright."
z.. Genesis 7:1 "And the Lord said unto Noah, Come thou and all thy house into the ark; for thee
have I seen righteous before me in this generation."
z.. Luke 1:6 "And they were both righteous before God, walking in all the commandments and
ordinances of the Lord blameless." How old was Ahaziah?
z.. II Kings 8:26 "Two and twenty years old was Ahaziah when he began to reign." vs.

z.. II Chronicles 22:2 "Forty and two years old was Ahaziah when he began to reign." Should we
swear an oath?
z.. Numbers 30:2 "If a man vow a vow unto the Lord, or swear an oath . . . he shall do according
to all that proceedeth out of his mouth."
z.. Genesis 21:22-24,31 " . . . swear unto me here by God that thou wilt not deal falsely with me
. . . And Abraham said, I will swear. . . . Wherefore he called that place Beersheba ["well of
the oath"]; because there they sware both of them."
z.. Hebrews 6:13-17 "For when God made promise to Abraham, because he could swear by no greater,
he sware by himself . . . for men verily swear by the greater: and an oath for confirmation is
to them an end of all strife. Wherein God, willing more abundantly to shew unto the heirs of
promise the immutability of his counsel, confirmed it by an oath." See also Genesis 22:15-19,
Genesis 31:53, and Judges 11:30-39.

vs.

z.. Matthew 5:34-37 "But I say unto you, swear not at all; neither by heaven . . . nor by the
earth . . . . Neither shalt thou swear by thy head .
. . . But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these
cometh of evil."
e.. James 5:12 ". . . swear not, neither by heaven, neither by the earth, neither by any other
oath: but let your yea be yea; and your nay, nay; lest ye fall into condemnation." When was
Jesus crucified?
f.. Mark 15:25 "And it was the third hour, and they crucified him." vs.

g.. John 19:14-15 "And about the sixth hour: and he saith unto the Jews, Behold your King! But
they cried out . . . crucify him." It is an ad hoc defense to claim that there are two methods
of reckoning time here. It has never been shown that this is the case.

Shall we obey the law?
h.. I Peter 2:13 "Submit yourself to every ordinance of man . . . to the king, as supreme; Or unto
governors."
i.. Matthew 22:21 "Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's." See also Romans
13:1,7 and Titus 3:1. vs.

j.. Acts 5:29 "We ought to obey God rather then men." How many animals on the ark?
k.. Genesis 6:19 "And of every living thing of all flesh, two of every sort shalt thou bring
into the ark."
l.. Genesis 7:8-9 "Of clean beasts, and of beasts that are not clean, and of fowls, and of every
thing that creepeth upon the earth, There went in two and two unto Noah into the ark, the male
and the female, as God had commanded Noah."
m.. Genesis 7:15 "And they went in unto Noah into the ark, two and two of all flesh, wherein is
the breath of life." vs.

n.. Genesis 7:2 "Of every clean beast thou shalt take to thee by sevens, the male and his
female: and of beasts that are not clean by two, the male and his female." Were women and men
created equal?
o.. Genesis 1:27 "So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male
and female created he them." vs.

p.. Genesis 2:18,23 "And the Lord God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will
make him an help meet for him. . . . And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of
my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man." Were trees created
before humans?
q.. Genesis 1:12-31 "And the earth brought forth grass, and herb yielding seed after his kind, and
the tree yielding fruit, whose seed was in itself, after his kind: . . . And the evening and the
morning were the third day. .
. . And God said, Let us make man in our image . . . And the evening and the morning were the
sixth day." vs.

b.. Genesis 2:5-9 "And every plant of the field before it was in the earth, and every herb of the
field before it grew: for the Lord God had not caused it to rain upon the earth, and there was
not a man to till the ground. .Ê.ÊAnd the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground . . .
And the Lord God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there he put the man whom he had formed.
And out of the ground made the Lord God to grow every tree that is pleasant to the sight, and
good for food." Did Michal have children?
c.. II Samuel 6:23 "Therefore Michal the daughter of Saul had no child unto the day of her
death." vs.

d.. II Samuel 21:8 "But the king took the two sons of Rizpah . . . and the five sons of Michal the
daughter of Saul." How many stalls did Solomon have?
e.. I Kings 4:26 "And Solomon had forty thousand stalls of horses for his chariots, and twelve
thousand horsemen." vs.

f.. II Chronicles 9:25 "And Solomon had four thousand stalls for horses and chariots, and twelve
thousand horsemen." Did Paul's men hear a voice?
g.. Acts 9:7 "And the men which journeyed with him stood speechless, hearing a voice, but seeing
no man." vs.

h.. Acts 22:9 "And they that were with me saw indeed the light, and were afraid; but they heard
not the voice of him that spake to me." (For more detail on this contradiction, with a
linguistic analysis of the Greek words, see "Did Paul's Men Hear A Voice?" by Dan Barker,
published in the The Skeptical Review, 1994 #1)

Is God omnipotent?
i.. Jeremiah 32:27 "Behold, I am the Lord, the God of all flesh: is there anything too
hard for me?
j.. Matthew 19:26 "But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but
with God all things are possible." vs.

k.. Judges 1:19 "And the Lord was with Judah; and he drave out the inhabitants of the mountain;
but could not drive out the inhabitants of the valley, because they had chariots of iron." Does
God live in light?
l.. I Timothy 6:15-16 " . . . the King of kings, and Lord of lords; Who only hath immortality,
dwelling in the light which no man can approach . . ."
m.. James 1:17 " . . . the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow
of turning."
n.. John 12:35 "Then Jesus saith unto them, . . . he that walketh in darkness knoweth not wither
he goeth."
o.. Job 18:18 "He [the wicked] shall be driven from light into darkness, and chased out of
the world."
p.. Daniel 2:22 "He [God] knoweth what is in the darkness, and the light dwelleth with him." See
also Psalm 143:3, II Corinthians 6:14, and Hebrews
12:18-22. vs.

f.. I Kings 8:12 "Then spake Solomon, The Lord said that he would dwell in the thick darkness."
(Repeated in II Chronicles 6:1)
g.. II Samuel 22:12 "And he made darkness pavilions round about him, dark waters, and thick clouds
of the skies."
h.. Psalm 18:11 "He made darkness his secret place; his pavilion round about him were dark waters
and thick clouds of the skies."
i.. Psalm 97:1-2 "The Lord reigneth; let the earth rejoice . . . clouds and darkness are round
about him." Does God accept human sacrifice?
j.. Deuteronomy 12:31 "Thou shalt not do so unto the Lord thy God: for every abomination to the
Lord, which he hateth, have they done unto their gods; for even their sons and their daughters
they have burnt in the fire to their gods." vs.

k.. Genesis 22:2 "And he said, Take now thy son, thine only son Isaac, whom thou lovest, and get
thee into the land of Moriah; and offer him there for a burnt offering upon one of the mountains
which I will tell thee of."
l.. Exodus 22:29 "For thou shalt not delay to offer the first of thy ripe fruits, and of thy
liquors; the firstborn of thy sons shalt thou give unto me."
m.. Judges 11:30-39 "And Jephthah vowed a vow unto the Lord, and said, If thou shalt without fail
deliver the children of Ammon into mine hand, Then it shall be, that whatsoever cometh forth of
the doors of my house to meet me, when I return in peace from the children of Ammon, shall
surely be the Lord's, and I will offer it up for a burnt offering. So Jephthah passed over unto
the children of Ammon . . . and the Lord delivered them into his hands.
. . . And Jephthah came to Mizpeh unto his house, and, behold, his daughter came out to meet him
with timbrels and with dances: . . . And it came to pass at the end of two months, that she
returned unto her father, who did with her according to his vow which he had vowed."
e.. II Samuel 21:8-14 "But the king [David] took the two sons of Rizpah .
. . and the five sons of Michal . . . and he delivered them into the hands of the Gibeonites, and
they hanged them in the hill before the Lord: and they fell all seven together, and were put to
death in the days of harvest .
. . And after that God was intreated for the land."
f.. Hebrews 10:10-12 " . . . we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ .
. . But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins forever, sat down on the right
hand of God."
g.. I Corinthians 5:7 " . . . For even Christ our passover is sacrificed for us." Who was
Joseph's father?
h.. Matthew 1:16 "And Jacob begat Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus." vs.

i. . Luke 3:23 "And Jesus himself began to be about thirty years of age,
being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, which was the son of Heli."

"wholey_smoke" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Bible Contradictions PAUL SAID, "God is not the author of confusion," (I Corinthians 14:33), yet
> never has a book produced more confusion than the bible!

God is not the author of the Holy Bible. Men are.

Think of the Bible as an authorized (Holy) biography for God.

> There are hundreds of denominations and sects, all using the "inspired Scriptures" to prove their
> conflicting doctrines.

God has not instructed people to act thusly.

> Why do trained theologians differ?

They are projecting their individual wills.

> Why do educated translators disagree over Greek and Hebrew meanings?

They each have their own opinions.

> Why all the confusion?

Men get confused.

> Shouldn't a document that was "divinely inspired" by an omniscient and omnipotent deity be as
> clear as possible?

A document "clearly understood" by men would more likely be self-inspired.

> "If the trumpet give an uncertain sound," Paul wrote in I Corinthians 14:8, "who shall prepare
> himself to the battle? So likewise ye, except ye utter by the tongue words easy to be understood,
> how shall it be known what is spoken? for ye shall speak into the air." Exactly! Paul should have
> practiced what he preached. For almost two millennia, the bible has been producing a most
> "uncertain sound."

Paul wrote parts but not all of the Holy Bible. Those parts that he wrote seem clear to me. Those
parts that quote Jesus are also clear but also mysterious.

The rest of the Holy Bible is a call to worship rather than a call to battle. Uncertainty is a
better call to worship.

> The problem is not with human limitations, as some claim. The problem is the bible itself. People
> who are free of theological bias notice that the bible contains hundreds of discrepancies.

It should. The Holy Bible have parts that have been written by different people. What you call
"contradictions" or "discrepancies" actually helps us better understand the need for Christ, the Son
of God, to be reborn as the "Son of Man" to set the record straight.

> Should it surprise us when such a literary and moral mish-mash, taken seriously, causes so much
> discord?

The U.S. Constitution together with amendments and federal statutes probably has as many if not
more "discrepancies." Yet, few if any discord has been attributed to it. Discord comes from those
who would do evil. The Holy Bible empowers good people to discern what is evil. This will anger
those who are evil and drive them to do more evil until they are destroyed. Meanwhile, such
evildoers will understandably point accusingly at the Holy Bible as the cause of the discord. But
we know the truth.

> Here is a brief sampling of biblical contradictions.

Let's see if you are truthful about this being brief (not)...

>
> Should we kill?
> a.. Exodus 20:13 "Thou shalt not kill."
> b.. Leviticus 24:17 "And he that killeth any man shall surely be put to death."
<snip>

Jesus teaches as written in Matthew 5:

21"You have heard that it was said to the people long ago, 'Do not murder, and anyone who murders
will be subject to judgment.' 22But I tell you that anyone who is angry with his brother will be
subject to judgment.

> Should we tell lies?
> a.. Exodus 20:16 "Thou shalt not bear false witness."
> b.. Proverbs 12:22 "Lying lips are an abomination to the Lord."
<snip>

Jesus teaches as again written in Matthew 5:

37Simply let your 'Yes' be 'Yes,' and your 'No,' 'No'; anything beyond this comes from the evil one.

> Should we steal?
> a.. Exodus 20:15 "Thou shalt not steal."
> b.. Leviticus 19:13 "Thou shalt not defraud thy neighbor, neither rob him."
<snip>

Jesus teaches as again written in Matthew 5:

30And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to
lose one part of your body than for your whole body to go into hell.

> Shall we keep the sabbath?
> a.. Exodus 20:8 "Remember the sabbath day to keep it holy."
> b.. Exodus 31:15 "Whosoever doeth any work in the sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death."
> c.. Numbers 15:32,36 "And while the children of Israel were in the wilderness, they found a man
> that gathered sticks upon the sabbath day. . .
> . And all the congregation brought him without the camp, and stoned him with stones, and he died;
> as the Lord commanded Moses."
<snip>

Jesus teaches again as written in Matthew 5:

17"Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them
but to fulfill them. 18I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest
letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is
accomplished.

> Shall we make graven images?
> a.. Exodus 20:4 "Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of anything
> that is in heaven . . . earth . . . water."
> b.. Leviticus 26:1 "Ye shall make ye no idols nor graven image, neither rear you up a standing
> image, neither shall ye set up any image of stone."
> c.. Deuteronomy 27:15 "Cursed be the man that maketh any graven or molten image."
<snip>

17"Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them
but to fulfill them. 18I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest
letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is
accomplished.

> Are we saved through works?
> a.. Ephesians 2:8,9 "For by grace are ye saved through faith . . . not of works."
> b.. Romans 3:20,28 "Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his
> sight."
> c.. Galatians 2:16 "Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the
> faith of Jesus Christ."
<snip>

Jesus teaches as written in John 3:

16"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him
shall not perish but have eternal life. 17For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn
the world, but to save the world through him. 18Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but
whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God's
one and only Son.

> Should good works be seen?
> a.. Matthew 5:16 "Let your light so shine before men that they may see your good works."
> b.. I Peter 2:12 "Having your conversation honest among the Gentiles: that
> . . . they may by your good works, which they shall behold, glorify God in the day of visitation."
<snip>

Jesus teaches as again written in John 3:

20Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that his deeds
will be exposed. 21But whoever lives by the truth comes into the light, so that it may be seen
plainly that what he has done has been done through God."

> Should we own slaves?
> a.. Leviticus 25:45-46 "Moreover of the children of the strangers that do sojourn among you, of
> them shall ye buy, . . . and they shall be your possession . . . they shall be your bondmen
> forever."
> b.. Genesis 9:25 "And he [Noah] said, Cursed be Canaan; a servant of servants shall he be unto
> his brethren."
> c.. Exodus 21:2,7 "If thou buy an Hebrew servant, six years he shall serve: and in the seventh
> he shall go out free for nothing. . . . And if a man sell his daughter to be a maidservant,
> she shall not go out as the manservants do."
> d.. Joel 3:8 "And I will sell your sons and your daughters into the hand of the children of
> Judah, and they shall sell them to the Sabeans, to a people far off: for the Lord hath spoken
> it."
> e.. Luke 12:47,48 [Jesus speaking] "And that servant, which knew his lord's will, and prepared
> not himself, neither did according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes. But he that
> knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes."
> f.. Colossians 3:22 "Servants, obey in all things your masters."
<snip>

Jesus teaches as written in Matthew 23:

11The greatest among you will be your servant.

> Does God change his mind?
> a.. Malachi 3:6 "For I am the Lord; I change not."
> b.. Numbers 23:19 "God is not a man, that he should lie; neither the son of man, that he should
> repent."
> c.. Ezekiel 24:14 "I the Lord have spoken it: it shall come to pass, and I will do it; I will
> not go back, neither will I spare, neither will I repent."
> d.. James 1:17 " . . . the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of
> turning."
<snip>

Jesus teaches as written in John 14:

28"You heard me say, 'I am going away and I am coming back to you.' If you loved me, you would be
glad that I am going to the Father, for the Father is greater than I. 29I have told you now before
it happens, so that when it does happen you will believe. 30I will not speak with you much longer,
for the prince of this world is coming. He has no hold on me, 31but the world must learn that I love
the Father and that I do exactly what my Father has commanded me."

> Are we punished for our parents' sins?
> a.. Exodus 20:5 "For I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers
> upon the children unto the third and fourth generation." (Repeated in Deuteronomy 5:9)
> b.. Exodus 34:6-7 " . . . The Lord God, merciful and gracious, . . . that will by no means clear
> the guilty; visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, and upon the children's
> children, unto the third and to the fourth generation."
<snip>

Jesus teaches as written in Matthew 23:

30And you say, 'If we had lived in the days of our forefathers, we would not have taken part with
them in shedding the blood of the prophets.' 31So you testify against yourselves that you are the
descendants of those who murdered the prophets. 32Fill up, then, the measure of the sin of your
forefathers!

> Is God good or evil?
> a.. Psalm 145:9 "The Lord is good to all."
> b.. Deuteronomy 32:4 "a God of truth and without iniquity, just and right is he." vs.
> c.. Isaiah 45:7 "I make peace and create evil. I the Lord do all these things." See "Out of
> Context" for more on Isaiah 45:7.
<snip>

16"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him
shall not perish but have eternal life. 17For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn
the world, but to save the world through him. 18Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but
whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God's
one and only Son.

> Does God tempt people?
> a.. James 1:13 "Let no man say . . . I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil,
> neither tempteth he any man." vs.
> b.. Genesis 22:1 "And it came to pass after these things, that God did tempt Abraham." Is God
> peaceable?
> a.. Romans 15:33 "The God of peace."
> b.. Isaiah 2:4 ". . . and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into
> pruninghooks: nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any
> more."
<snip>

It is written in Luke 4:

1Jesus, full of the Holy Spirit, returned from the Jordan and was led by the Spirit in the desert,
2where for forty days he was tempted by the devil. He ate nothing during those days, and at the end
of them he was hungry. 3The devil said to him, "If you are the Son of God, tell this stone to
become bread."

> Was Jesus peaceable?
> a.. John 14:27 "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you."
> b.. Acts 10:36 "The word which God sent unto the children of Israel, preaching peace by Jesus
> Christ."
> c.. Luke 2:14 " . . . on earth peace, good will toward men." vs.
> d.. Matthew 10:34 "Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace,
> but a sword. For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter
> against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law. And a man's foes shall
> be they of his own household."
> e.. Luke 22:36 "Then said he unto them, . . . he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment,
> and buy one."

one and only Son.

The condemned tend to disturb the peace.

> Was Jesus trustworthy?
> a.. John 8:14 "Though I bear record of myself, yet my record is true." vs.
> b.. John 5:31 "If I bear witness of myself, my witness is not true." "Record" and "witness" in
> the above verses are the same Greek word (martyria).

Jesus teaches as quoted in John 5:

22Moreover, the Father judges no one, but has entrusted all judgment to the Son, 23that all may
honor the Son just as they honor the Father. He who does not honor the Son does not honor the
Father, who sent him.

> Shall we call people names?
> a.. Matthew 5:22 "Whosoever shall say Thou fool, shall be in danger of hellfire." [Jesus
> speaking]
<snip>

11"Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against
you because of me. 12Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same
way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

> Has anyone seen God?
> a.. John 1:18 "No man hath seen God at any time."
> b.. Exodus 33:20 "Thou canst not see my face: for there shall no man see
me, and live."
> c.. John 6:46 "Not that any man hath seen the Father, save he which is of
God [Jesus], he hath seen the Father."
> d.. I John 4:12 "No man hath seen God at any time."
<snip>

Jesus teaches as written in John 6:

46No one has seen the Father except the one who is from God; only he has seen the Father. 47I tell
you the truth, he who believes has everlasting life. 48I am the bread of life. 49Your forefathers
ate the manna in the desert, yet they died. 50But here is the bread that comes down from heaven,
which a man may eat and not die. 51I am the living bread that came down from heaven. If anyone
eats of this bread, he will live forever. This bread is my flesh, which I will give for the life
of the world."

> How many Gods are there?
> a.. Deuteronomy 6:4 "The Lord our God is one Lord." vs.
<snip>

Jesus teaches again as written in John 3:

one and only Son.

>
> Are we all sinners?
> a.. Romans 3:23 "For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God."
> b.. Romans 3:10 "As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one."
> c.. Psalm 14:3 "There is none that doeth good, no, not one."
<snipped>

Jesus teaches again as written in John 3:

one and only Son.

> How old was Ahaziah?

Apparently old enough to be king.

> Should we swear an oath?
<snip>
> d.. Matthew 5:34-37 "But I say unto you, swear not at all; neither by heaven . . . nor by the
> earth . . . . Neither shalt thou swear by thy head .
> . . . But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh
> of evil."
> e.. James 5:12 ". . . swear not, neither by heaven, neither by the earth, neither by any other
> oath: but let your yea be yea; and your nay, nay; lest ye fall into condemnation."

33"Again, you have heard that it was said to the people long ago, 'Do not break your oath, but
keep the oaths you have made to the Lord.' 34But I tell you, Do not swear at all: either by
heaven, for it is God's throne; 35or by the earth, for it is his footstool; or by Jerusalem, for
it is the city of the Great King. 36And do not swear by your head, for you cannot make even one
hair white or black. 37Simply let your 'Yes' be 'Yes,' and your 'No,' 'No'; anything beyond this
comes from the evil one.

> When was Jesus crucified?
> a.. Mark 15:25 "And it was the third hour, and they crucified him." vs.
> b.. John 19:14-15 "And about the sixth hour: and he saith unto the Jews, Behold your King! But
> they cried out . . . crucify him." It is an ad hoc defense to claim that there are two methods
> of reckoning time here. It has never been shown that this is the case.

Probably somewhere between the third and the sixth hour. Sounds like St. Mark and St. John are
indeed independent witnesses who did not synchronize their respective digital watches.

> Shall we obey the law?
<snip>
> c.. Acts 5:29 "We ought to obey God rather then men."

accomplished.

> How many animals on the ark?
<snip>

Enough for God to use to repopulate the earth.

> Were women and men created equal?
> a.. Genesis 1:27 "So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male
> and female created he them." vs.
> b.. Genesis 2:18,23 "And the Lord God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will
> make him an help meet for him. . . . And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of
> my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man." Were trees created
> before humans?
> a.. Genesis 1:12-31 "And the earth brought forth grass, and herb yielding seed after his kind,
> and the tree yielding fruit, whose seed was in itself, after his kind: . . . And the evening
> and the morning were the third day. .
> . . And God said, Let us make man in our image . . . And the evening and the morning were the
> sixth day." vs.
> b.. Genesis 2:5-9 "And every plant of the field before it was in the earth, and every herb of
> the field before it grew: for the Lord God had not caused it to rain upon the earth, and there
> was not a man to till the ground. .Ê.ÊAnd the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground .
> . . And the Lord God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there he put the man whom he had
> formed. And out of the ground made the Lord God to grow every tree that is pleasant to the
> sight, and good for food."

31"It has been said, 'Anyone who divorces his wife must give her a certificate of divorce.' 32But I
tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for marital unfaithfulness, causes her to become
an adulteress, and anyone who marries the divorced woman commits adultery.

> Did Michal have children?
> a.. II Samuel 6:23 "Therefore Michal the daughter of Saul had no child unto the day of her
> death." vs.
> b.. II Samuel 21:8 "But the king took the two sons of Rizpah . . . and the five sons of Merab
> the daughter of Saul."

No.

> How many stalls did Solomon have?
> a.. I Kings 4:26 "And Solomon had forty thousand stalls of horses for his chariots, and twelve
> thousand horsemen." vs.
> b.. II Chronicles 9:25 "And Solomon had four thousand stalls for horses and chariots, and twelve
> thousand horsemen."

I would guess 40,000 since he had 12,000 horsemen.

> Did Paul's men hear a voice?
> a.. Acts 9:7 "And the men which journeyed with him stood speechless, hearing a voice, but seeing
> no man." vs.
> b.. Acts 22:9 "And they that were with me saw indeed the light, and were afraid; but they heard
> not the voice of him that spake to me." (For more detail on this contradiction, with a
> linguistic analysis of the Greek words, see "Did Paul's Men Hear A Voice?" by Dan Barker,
> published in the The Skeptical Review, 1994 #1)

You'll have to ask Paul's men.

> Is God omnipotent?
> a.. Jeremiah 32:27 "Behold, I am the Lord, the God of all flesh: is there anything too hard
> for me?
> b.. Matthew 19:26 "But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but
> with God all things are possible."
<snip>

Yes.

> Does God live in light?
> a.. I Timothy 6:15-16 " . . . the King of kings, and Lord of lords; Who only hath immortality,
> dwelling in the light which no man can approach . . ."
> b.. James 1:17 " . . . the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of
> turning."
> c.. John 12:35 "Then Jesus saith unto them, . . . he that walketh in darkness knoweth not wither
> he goeth."
> d.. Job 18:18 "He [the wicked] shall be driven from light into darkness, and chased out of the
> world."
> e.. Daniel 2:22 "He [God] knoweth what is in the darkness, and the light dwelleth with him." See
> also Psalm 143:3, II Corinthians 6:14, and Hebrews
> 12:18-22.
<snip>

Yes.

> Does God accept human sacrifice?
<snip>

God the Father has accepted His Son's sacrifice.

> Who was Joseph's father?
> a.. Matthew 1:16 "And Jacob begat Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus." vs.
> b.. Luke 3:23 "And Jesus himself began to be about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed)
> the son of Joseph, which was the son of Heli."

You'll have to ask Joseph's mother.

May God add His Blessings to the writing of His Word here within SMC, in Christ's name.

Amen.

Humbly,

Andrew

--
Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
Board-Certified Cardiologist
http://www.heartmdphd.com

"wholey_smoke" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Bible Contradictions
> PAUL SAID, "God is not the author of confusion," <<<<<<<<

"Assuredly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God as a little child will by no
means enter it." NKJ Luke 18:17

I pray that you will become as a child before God's kingdom so that you will receive understanding
through the Spirit for all your searching questions.

Through 'God's Spirit', Paul said, "God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all
churches of the saints." 1 Corinthian's 14:33

This verse is for you, and it is _your_ own peace he speaks of.

Carol T