Bibshorts - the only answer?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Mike K Smith, Jan 6, 2006.

  1. Mike K Smith

    Mike K Smith Guest

    At the risk of invoking the wrath of the PSF I feel I must draw the
    group's attention to a piece in last week's Comic[1].

    "One foot on the floor, wheels behind the line," requested the
    commisaire to a group of female racers at the start of a National Points
    race. Bottoms hovering just in front of the saddle, calf-muscles
    trembling stretched on tip-toes and with ears straining for the sound of
    the gun, they were the picture of highly trained pro racers.

    "Your race will start in the next 10 seconds," then bang! Off they
    charge except for one unfortunate lass who had hooked the nose of her
    saddle into her shorts so that as she powered away from the line her
    shorts were pulled down to reveal her shapely racer's backside to the
    assembled crowd.

    Made me chuckle anyway.

    Mike

    [1] Cycling Weekly 31 Dec 2005 p37 - reproduced without permission.

    Tags:

  2. Chris

    Chris Guest

    Mike K Smith wrote:
    > At the risk of invoking the wrath of the PSF I feel I must draw the
    > group's attention to a piece in last week's Comic[1].
    >
    > "One foot on the floor, wheels behind the line," requested the
    > commisaire to a group of female racers at the start of a National Points
    > race. Bottoms hovering just in front of the saddle, calf-muscles
    > trembling stretched on tip-toes and with ears straining for the sound of
    > the gun, they were the picture of highly trained pro racers.
    >
    > "Your race will start in the next 10 seconds," then bang! Off they
    > charge except for one unfortunate lass who had hooked the nose of her
    > saddle into her shorts so that as she powered away from the line her
    > shorts were pulled down to reveal her shapely racer's backside to the
    > assembled crowd.
    >
    > Made me chuckle anyway.
    >
    > Mike
    >
    > [1] Cycling Weekly 31 Dec 2005 p37 - reproduced without permission.

    jpgs please... :)

  3. RG

    RG Guest

    > Mike K Smith wrote:
    >> At the risk of invoking the wrath of the PSF I feel I must draw the
    >> group's attention to a piece in last week's Comic[1].
    >>
    >> "One foot on the floor, wheels behind the line," requested the commisaire
    >> to a group of female racers at the start of a National Points race.
    >> Bottoms hovering just in front of the saddle, calf-muscles trembling
    >> stretched on tip-toes and with ears straining for the sound of the gun,
    >> they were the picture of highly trained pro racers.
    >>
    >> "Your race will start in the next 10 seconds," then bang! Off they charge
    >> except for one unfortunate lass who had hooked the nose of her saddle
    >> into her shorts so that as she powered away from the line her shorts were
    >> pulled down to reveal her shapely racer's backside to the assembled
    >> crowd.
    >>
    >> Made me chuckle anyway.
    >>
    >> Mike
    >>
    >> [1] Cycling Weekly 31 Dec 2005 p37 - reproduced without permission.

    > jpgs please... :)

    It must have been a similar sight to the TV coverage of some women's
    triathlon events in London in a few months ago - the riders all seemed to be
    wearing a sort of "thong leotard" for the cycling section .... the close-ups
    from the following motorcycle cameramen were quite exciting!

    ..... I assume Helen will be along shortly to castigate us (or similar!)

    RG (known to PSF as Tall Bloke)

  4. POHB

    POHB Guest

    Down the local park with the kids last weekend.

    Off they charge (ish) except for unfortunate ME who had hooked the nose of
    the saddle
    on the crotch seam of my trousers so that as I powered away my trousers
    ripped
    apart to reveal my less than shapely backside to the assembled crowd.

    OK so there was no crowd, but there was a cold north wind.

    >> Mike K Smith wrote:
    >>> At the risk of invoking the wrath of the PSF I feel I must draw the
    >>> group's attention to a piece in last week's Comic[1].
    >>>
    >>> Off they charge except for one unfortunate lass who had hooked the nose
    >>> of her saddle into her shorts so that as she powered away from the line
    >>> her shorts were pulled down to reveal her shapely racer's backside to
    >>> the assembled crowd.

  5. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, Mike K Smith
    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > At the risk of invoking the wrath of the PSF I feel I must draw the
    > group's attention to a piece in last week's Comic[1].
    >
    > "One foot on the floor, wheels behind the line," requested the
    > commisaire to a group of female racers at the start of a National
    > Points race. Bottoms hovering just in front of the saddle, calf-muscles
    > trembling stretched on tip-toes and with ears straining for the sound
    > of the gun, they were the picture of highly trained pro racers.
    >
    > "Your race will start in the next 10 seconds," then bang! Off they
    > charge except for one unfortunate lass who had hooked the nose of her
    > saddle into her shorts so that as she powered away from the line her
    > shorts were pulled down to reveal her shapely racer's backside to the
    > assembled crowd.
    >
    > Made me chuckle anyway.

    On a less amusing note, a female clubmate of mine managed to hook the
    chest belt of her HRM onto her saddle while negotiating a rock stepdown
    at Ae, and the resulting crash, although in the end it was only scrapes,
    bruises and mild concussion, was unpleasant. You do need to be careful
    about these things.

    ... a mild, inoffensive sadist...

  6. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

  7. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    "RG" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > .... I assume Helen will be along shortly to castigate us (or similar!)

    [PSF mode]

    Oh that'll be similar when least expecting it ;-)

    [/PSF mode]

    Cheers, helen s

  8. RG

    RG Guest

    "wafflycat" <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "RG" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >

    >> RG (known to PSF as Tall Bloke)

    > Tall Bloke! How are you?
    >
    > Cheers, helen s

    I'm good! ...... as they say nowadays

    Rob

  9. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

  10. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    POHB wrote:
    > Off they charge (ish) except for unfortunate ME who had hooked the nose of
    > the saddle
    > on the crotch seam of my trousers so that as I powered away my trousers
    > ripped
    > apart to reveal my less than shapely backside to the assembled crowd.

    I much preferred the mental image that I was left with by the OP.

    --
    Danny Colyer (my reply address is valid but checked infrequently)
    <URL:http://www.colyer.plus.com/danny/>

  11. Chris

    Chris Guest

    Simon Brooke wrote:

    > On a less amusing note, a female clubmate of mine managed to hook the
    > chest belt of her HRM onto her saddle while negotiating a rock stepdown
    > at Ae, and the resulting crash, although in the end it was only scrapes,
    > bruises and mild concussion, was unpleasant. You do need to be careful
    > about these things.

    Someone's going to need to explain the physics of that for me to
    appreciate it; what is a chest-belt doing near a saddle?

  12. LSMike

    LSMike Guest

    Simon Brooke wrote:

    > On a less amusing note, a female clubmate of mine managed to hook the
    > chest belt of her HRM onto her saddle while negotiating a rock stepdown
    > at Ae, and the resulting crash, although in the end it was only scrapes,
    > bruises and mild concussion, was unpleasant. You do need to be careful
    > about these things.

    Saddles? Too right, dangerous masochistic things. ;)

  13. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, Chris
    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > Simon Brooke wrote:
    >>
    >> On a less amusing note, a female clubmate of mine managed to hook the
    >> chest belt of her HRM onto her saddle while negotiating a rock
    >> stepdown at Ae, and the resulting crash, although in the end it was
    >> only scrapes, bruises and mild concussion, was unpleasant. You do need
    >> to be careful about these things.

    > Someone's going to need to explain the physics of that for me to
    > appreciate it; what is a chest-belt doing near a saddle?

    Near vertical rock stepdown, about 80cm. She went right off the back of
    the saddle to negotiate it, and as she came back up over the back of the
    saddle the chest strap caught. I was about two bikes behind her.

    Age equals angst multiplied by the speed of fright squared.
    ;; the Worlock

  14. Alan Holmes

    Alan Holmes Guest

    > Simon Brooke wrote:
    >>
    >> On a less amusing note, a female clubmate of mine managed to hook the
    >> chest belt of her HRM onto her saddle while negotiating a rock stepdown
    >> at Ae, and the resulting crash, although in the end it was only scrapes,
    >> bruises and mild concussion, was unpleasant. You do need to be careful
    >> about these things.
    >>

    > Someone's going to need to explain the physics of that for me to
    > appreciate it; what is a chest-belt doing near a saddle?

    And, what on earth is an HRM?

    Alan

  15. Mike Causer

    Mike Causer Guest

    On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 14:07:57 +0000, Alan Holmes wrote:

    > And, what on earth is an HRM?

    Your memory really is getting worse. It's the thing that told you your
    heart was doing 300bpm all through your 36 hour LEJoG record.

    HTH, HAND.

    Mike

  16. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

  17. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, Alan Holmes
    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > "Chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> Simon Brooke wrote:
    >>>
    >>> On a less amusing note, a female clubmate of mine managed to hook the
    >>> chest belt of her HRM onto her saddle while negotiating a rock
    >>> stepdown at Ae, and the resulting crash, although in the end it was
    >>> only scrapes, bruises and mild concussion, was unpleasant. You do
    >>> need to be careful about these things.
    >>>

    >> Someone's going to need to explain the physics of that for me to
    >> appreciate it; what is a chest-belt doing near a saddle?

    > And, what on earth is an HRM?

    A device, m'lud, for monitoring the frequency of contractions of the
    musculature of the heart.

    ;; making jokes about dyslexia isn't big, it isn't clever and
    ;; it isn't furry.

  18. David Hansen

    David Hansen Guest

    On Sun, 8 Jan 2006 14:53:52 +0000 (UTC) someone who may be
    "wafflycat" <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote this:-

    >> And, what on earth is an HRM?

    >Heart rate monitor

    Perhaps a Human Resources Manager, though one of these is unlikely
    to hook onto a saddle.

    --
    David Hansen, Edinburgh

  19. David Hansen

    David Hansen Guest

    On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 15:27:49 +0000 someone who may be Simon Brooke
    <[email protected]> wrote this:-

    >> And, what on earth is an HRM?

    >A device, m'lud, for monitoring the frequency of contractions of the
    >musculature of the heart.

    Does that mean that it is characterised by a series of repetitive
    beats? In which case surely it is illegal under the 1994 Criminal
    Injustice Act?

    --
    David Hansen, Edinburgh

  20. Alan Holmes

    Alan Holmes Guest

    "wafflycat" <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Alan Holmes" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >>

    >> And, what on earth is an HRM?
    >>
    >> Alan
    >>

    > Heart rate monitor

    Thanks, we didn't have anthing like that in my day, we just got on the
    bike, pedalled till it was time to eat/drink, eat/drink, then get back on
    the bike either to carry on, or to turn back home.

    Complicated things like heart rates didn't worry us.

    Alan