Bibshorts - the only answer?

> in message <[email protected]>, Alan Holmes
> ('[email protected]') wrote:
>

>> "Chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>>> Someone's going to need to explain the physics of that for me to
>>> appreciate it; what is a chest-belt doing near a saddle?

>> And, what on earth is an HRM?

> A device, m'lud, for monitoring the frequency of contractions of the
> musculature of the heart.

And how vital is that?

Alan

Alan Holmes wrote:
> "wafflycat" <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>"Alan Holmes" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]...
>>
>>>And, what on earth is an HRM?
>>>
>>>Alan
>>>

>>Heart rate monitor

> Thanks, we didn't have anthing like that in my day, we just got on the
> bike, pedalled till it was time to eat/drink, eat/drink, then get back on
> the bike either to carry on, or to turn back home.
>
> Complicated things like heart rates didn't worry us.

The lack of one is suprisingly inconvenient :)

"Alan Holmes" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Simon Brooke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

>> A device, m'lud, for monitoring the frequency of contractions of the
>> musculature of the heart.

> And how vital is that?
>
> Alan

It can be exceedingly useful. F'rinstins... the offspring, when he's doing a
25-mile TT without HRM data can zoom off too fast & blow before he reaches
finish - and his times on such events are naff for him. Yet give him a HRM &
follow the heart rate zone his coach tells him to be in and he can do a
decent time.

Cheers, helen s

Alan Holmes wrote:

>> A device, m'lud, for monitoring the frequency of contractions of the
>> musculature of the heart.

> And how vital is that?

Without the contractions of the musculature of the heart one is, if
m'lud will excuse the vernacular, buggered ;-)

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham

> Alan Holmes wrote:
>>
>>> A device, m'lud, for monitoring the frequency of contractions of the
>>> musculature of the heart.

>> And how vital is that?
>>

> Without the contractions of the musculature of the heart one is, if m'lud
> will excuse the vernacular, buggered ;-)

[Graham Norton]

No, I think you'll find that particular action involves a totally different
part of the anatomy to the heart...

[/Graham Norton]

Cheers, helen s

On 8 Jan,
"wafflycat" <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote:

> It can be exceedingly useful. F'rinstins... the offspring, when he's doing
> a 25-mile TT without HRM data can zoom off too fast & blow before he
> reaches finish - and his times on such events are naff for him. Yet give
> him a HRM & follow the heart rate zone his coach tells him to be in and he
> can do a decent time.

I found my times increased when using a HRM. I found I was holding back too
much, knowing what it would be like later if I overdid things.

--
BD
Change lycos to yahoo to reply

('[email protected]') wrote:

> "Simon Brooke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> in message <[email protected]>, Alan Holmes
>> ('[email protected]') wrote:
>>>
>>> And, what on earth is an HRM?

>> A device, m'lud, for monitoring the frequency of contractions of the
>> musculature of the heart.

> And how vital is that?

Not in the least. I personally regard them as indicators of dangerous
over-keenness. They do help in developing cardio-vascular fitness,
however.

to err is human, to lisp divine
;; attributed to Kim Philby, oddly enough.

Simon Brooke wrote:
> in message <[email protected]>, Alan Holmes
> ('[email protected]') wrote:
>
>> "Simon Brooke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>> in message <[email protected]>, Alan Holmes

>>> A device, m'lud, for monitoring the frequency of contractions of the
>>> musculature of the heart.

>> And how vital is that?

> Not in the least. I personally regard them as indicators of dangerous
> over-keenness. They do help in developing cardio-vascular fitness,
> however.

I have one (built in to impulse buy computer with altimeter) which when I've
used it has served as a very useful dampener on overkeenness and a sensible
means of postponing excessive knackeredness by the simple means of allowing
me to not feel disappointed when climbing a hill at only 10km/h because I
know my heart's already at 175bpm

--
Ambrose

Ambrose Nankivell wrote:
> > Not in the least. I personally regard them as indicators of dangerous
> > over-keenness. They do help in developing cardio-vascular fitness,
> > however.

> I have one (built in to impulse buy computer with altimeter) which when I've
> used it has served as a very useful dampener on overkeenness and a sensible
> means of postponing excessive knackeredness by the simple means of allowing
> me to not feel disappointed when climbing a hill at only 10km/h because I
> know my heart's already at 175bpm

Likewise. I find one very helpful to stop my overenthusiasm getting
away from me and ruining the ride. There are only so many hills you can
climb above the aerobic limit before your legs go on strike.

...d

Simon Brooke <[email protected]> wrote:
> in message <[email protected]>, Alan Holmes
> ('[email protected]') wrote:

>> "Simon Brooke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>> in message <[email protected]>, Alan Holmes

>>> A device, m'lud, for monitoring the frequency of contractions of the
>>> musculature of the heart.

>> And how vital is that?

> Not in the least. I personally regard them as indicators of dangerous
> over-keenness. They do help in developing cardio-vascular fitness,
> however.

They also help to keep one from trespassing into the danger zone if
you've had a heart attack.

[http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]