Bibshorts?

RapDaddyo said:
I see -- you've tried them. Or, you are just omniscient? Anyway, if $10 is the biggest mistake I make in cycling equipment, I'm miles ahead.
Both... :D I don't understand what you are trying to gain from using suspenders on shorts...

Bibs are more comfortable in everyway except for really long rides where nipple rub can be a problem. I ever since I bought my first pair, I have only ridden bibs and now have 5 pairs of bibs, with like 5-8 pairs of shorts that have become moth food.

wilmar13 said:
Bibs are more comfortable in everyway except for really long rides where nipple rub can be a problem.

To be clear, they are still more comfortable on long rides, but nipple rub can sometimes be bothersome for rides over 4 hours(I have the same problem with just a jersey though too)...

Here is another thread where this was discussed.
http://www.cyclingforums.com/t238548-.html

roadhog said:
I see this type of opinion on this board a lot, so I'm sure there are good reasons for it, but they aren't obvious to me. I ride (road) a lot and consider myself pretty serious, but I've only ever used shorts, never tried bibs. But I've been thinking of trying it out lately. What is it that makes them so awesome? I've never felt like I had a problem with my chamois staying snug on my shorts, and I don't really have a gut (5'11'', 152lbs.). On top of that, I worry about the chafing thing with the bib straps. I often notice people wearing t-shirts under their bibs and then a jersey over all that (not sure why - maybe the chafing thing?). That all seems annoying to me too, especially given the heat this summer.

I've worn my bibs (shorts, knickers, and tights) for a few years and have never had a chafing problem with the straps. I wear a base layer under my bib. It's not a t-shirt, and it much lighter. The base layers helps keep you cool (or warm) and dry. A good base layer enhances the wicking properties of the jersey.

SF_Vitus said:
I've worn my bibs (shorts, knickers, and tights) for a few years and have never had a chafing problem with the straps. I wear a base layer under my bib. It's not a t-shirt, and it much lighter. The base layers helps keep you cool (or warm) and dry. A good base layer enhances the wicking properties of the jersey.

I've been a shorts man. Tried some bibs a few times, am still a shorts man. Nothing in particular about them. I did feel (to me) that I was adding pressure to my shoulders and adding extra thickness (= heat retention) to the areas where the bibs are under the jersey.

I felt no particular advantage, to either one. Maybe I'll "bib-up" tomorrow and have another go out of curiousity. Just seemed like they held more heat to me, and the pressure (albeit slight) on the shoulders from the bib straps. also, It seems like a bad idea to add any pressure to my ribcage from expanding and deflating to bring in and exhale air. Seems to me as though the bibs add some extra tension to the upper torso.

stormer94 said:
I did feel (to me) that I was adding pressure to my shoulders....

You got a fitting problem. It's not like you have a 50 pound ruck on your back. Straps should not be an issue in terms of digging in. Whatever makes you comfortable enough to ride is the key though.

What's wrong with nipple rub, kinda like that!

zerokoo0l said:
Viva Le Bib! Hell I even wear them on off days, the ladies like them too.
love the santini bibs... also have a nice pair of suarez... just wish I could afford having about 6 pairs so I don't have to wash them everyday...

how do you care for your bibs? do you machine wash your bibs? I do on delicate cycle with socks or towells, then hang to dry.

RapDaddyo said:
But, I have two nice regular Giordana shorts that I don't want to just throw away. A $10 investment in a pair of suspenders made sense. I never feel the elastic waistband when I wear suspenders. No prob, mon.
You use the rainbow, Mork-from-Ork kind, right? :D

I've never tried bibs, so I also don't understand the benefits. Do you have to remove your jersey to get the straps down to use the restroom? That's what it looks like on the pictures unless they are equipped with some kind of secret door that's not shown (thankfully, not shown :) ).

I've never had waistband issues, and the bibs just looked too complicated to justify the costs.

wilmar13 said:
Bibs are more comfortable in everyway except for really long rides where nipple rub can be a problem.
Sounds like a perfect fit for the Udder Butter that was mentioned on the chamois thread. :)

frenchyge said:

I've never tried bibs, so I also don't understand the benefits. Do you have to remove your jersey to get the straps down to use the restroom? That's what it looks like on the pictures unless they are equipped with some kind of secret door that's not shown (thankfully, not shown :) ).

I've never had waistband issues, and the bibs just looked too complicated to justify the costs.

Bladder relief technique (at least one, anyway) is to pull up one leg, lift bibshort way from leg, direct fluid flow away from shoes (especially Sidis, DMTs) so as not to soil shoes with splash.

As far is increased temp in bibs....I haven't noticed it, and we're on our 35th day in a row, here in Tucson, with high temps in the 100's. As others have mentioned, shoulder straps digging in or feeling constrictive...well, that's a fit issue, not a bib issue.

frenchyge said:

Actually, I sort of like the patriotic style http://www.suspenders.com/america.htm. Like bibs, you can take off your jersey. Or, you can just unsnap them. No secret door.:D

RapDaddyo said:
Actually, I sort of like the patriotic style http://www.suspenders.com/america.htm. Like bibs, you can take off your jersey. Or, you can just unsnap them. No secret door.:D
Bibs would have to be *really* comfy in order to offset the inconvenience of having to remove my jersey during one of those last minute runs to the porta-potty just before the start of a race.

frenchyge said:
Bibs would have to be *really* comfy in order to offset the inconvenience of having to remove my jersey during one of those last minute runs to the porta-potty just before the start of a race.

Squirting is easy; pull up a leg and hang one low or just pull down the front of your bigs and hang one high. No jersey removal required. As far as a pre-race dump goes, you shoulda gone before you left home!

Disclaimer: this only applies to males of the cycling species.

Just remembered another thing about bibs. They are harder to manage in a "natural break"... than a typical short.

stormer94 said:
Just remembered another thing about bibs. They are harder to manage in a "natural break"... than a typical short.

Whats a natural break?

Some of us don't need to pull up the leg when wanting to pee. I just unwind the wedding tackle and let it hang free. Just gotta watch to make sure it doesn't get caught in the chain.

This may have been mentioned, but here it is again. I wore a set of bibs this weekend for a long ride. Here's the downside. If you need to "sit" to use the toilet, you need to take off your shirt. If you don't have a complete zipper on your shirt so you can take it off like a jacket, you need to pull a sticky, sweaty shirt off over your head. Then all the **** in your shirt pocket falls out onto the bathroom floor. Your spare tube, tools, phone, C02, patches, power bars, all trickle out of the pocket, crash onto the floor and roll under the toilet... Don't ask how I know this.

The power bars that hit the floor in the bathroom... I, uh, er, tossed in the trash. Actually, I kicked them toward the trash, and then with about a 4" thick wad of toilet paper, I picked them up and disposed of them... That foil wrapper on a powerbar is thick, but ain't thick enough for that kind of action :eek: I wouldn't have eaten those even if they were encased in kryptonite and then a foot of solid steel. That floor was nasty... and my phone was wet when I picked it up... <shudder>

No more bibs on a long ride. <shudder> ...still thinking about my phone...

... I'm getting another phone....

... The innertube was wet too... <insert more shuddering>

....You'd be surprised at what (temporarily) goes through your mind while your sitting on a convenience store toilet and looking at the last of your food that is now sitting on the floor, in a puddle, at your feet...

stormer94 said:
This may have been mentioned, but here it is again. I wore a set of bibs this weekend for a long ride. Here's the downside. If you need to "sit" to use the toilet, you need to take off your shirt.
It never fails -- you can never find the damn team car when you need it!

I like bibs in the cooler weather as they are more comfortable and warmer.

In the warmer weather I prefer shorts as they are a lot cooler and if I drink too much water I don't have to get off the bike to take a ****.

xbgs351 said:
if I drink too much water I don't have to get off the bike to take a ****.
I'm almost afraid to ask......
I'm sure either I'm missing something or I have a lot to learn about biking...
well, because I used the qualifier "almost," huh?