Bicycle as generator/power source?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Scott Gordo, Nov 30, 2005.

  1. Scott Gordo

    Scott Gordo Guest

    Already sent this to rbt, but...
    During the winter I sometimes ride on a trainer, and think about how
    much energy I'm expending and how it would be cool to harness it to
    power, say, my espresso maker.
    I finally did a quick google and found this:
    http://www.freerepublic.com/forum/a3ab928b76932.htm
    which is pretty close to what I envisioned. He uses this contraption to
    charge batteries that power devices.
    Has anyone seen a marketed version of something like this produced? I'm
    not electrical engineer, and for the right price I'd be happy to forgo
    the experimentation.
    And, yes, I'm well aware of friction light generators. I have two of
    them.
    /s
     
    Tags:


  2. Scott Gordo wrote:
    > Already sent this to rbt, but...
    > During the winter I sometimes ride on a trainer, and think about how
    > much energy I'm expending and how it would be cool to harness it to
    > power, say, my espresso maker.
    > I finally did a quick google and found this:
    > http://www.freerepublic.com/forum/a3ab928b76932.htm
    > which is pretty close to what I envisioned. He uses this contraption to
    > charge batteries that power devices.
    > Has anyone seen a marketed version of something like this produced? I'm
    > not electrical engineer, and for the right price I'd be happy to forgo
    > the experimentation.
    > And, yes, I'm well aware of friction light generators. I have two of
    > them.
    > /s
    >


    I'm sure it has been suggested by others, we'd go a long way to solving
    the obesity problem if TVs were only hooked up to bicycle powered
    generator, or something similar.

    --
    Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado

    Owner/Operator of the Pekingnese Ranch.
     
  3. JohnH

    JohnH Guest

  4. GWood

    GWood Guest

  5. Shawn

    Shawn Guest

    GWood wrote:
    > Convenience : the quiet killer.


    I thought that was fettucini alfredo
     
  6. JohnH wrote:
    >>I'm sure it has been suggested by others, we'd go a long way to
    >>solving the obesity problem if TVs were only hooked up to bicycle
    >>powered generator, or something similar.

    >
    >
    > http://www.ific.org/foodinsight/1999/mj/pedalingnbfi399.cfm
    >
    >


    Well, I was sure.

    --
    Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado

    Owner/Operator of the Pekingnese Ranch.
     
  7. "Scott Gordo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Already sent this to rbt, but...
    > During the winter I sometimes ride on a trainer, and think about how
    > much energy I'm expending and how it would be cool to harness it to
    > power, say, my espresso maker.
    > I finally did a quick google and found this:
    > http://www.freerepublic.com/forum/a3ab928b76932.htm
    > which is pretty close to what I envisioned. He uses this contraption to
    > charge batteries that power devices.
    > Has anyone seen a marketed version of something like this produced? I'm
    > not electrical engineer, and for the right price I'd be happy to forgo
    > the experimentation.
    > And, yes, I'm well aware of friction light generators. I have two of
    > them.
    > /s
    >

    In the late sixties, we had a cabin without electricity, we hooked up to a
    car generator and car battery to a bike to listen to the radio.
     
  8. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    Shawn wrote:
    > GWood wrote:
    >> Convenience : the quiet killer.

    >
    > I thought that was fettucini alfredo


    mmmm...with bacon.

    CLEAR!!!....zzzzzap....
     
  9. GWood

    GWood Guest

    Well, when I was a boy, we had to walk uphill to school in both
    directions... oh wait, wrong forum.
    Late sixties? Um, I'm not sure I recall them that clearly.

    "Dean A. Stepper" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > In the late sixties, we had a cabin without electricity, we hooked up to a
    > car generator and car battery to a bike to listen to the radio.
    >
    >
     
  10. I guess it work since it worked for the Professor and
    Gilligan and rest of the Island.
     
  11. Bill Sornson

    Bill Sornson Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > I guess it work since it worked for the Professor and
    > Gilligan and rest of the Island.


    That's true...and with flexy bamboo cranks!

    :-D
     
Loading...
Loading...