Bicycle as generator/power source?

Scott Gordo

Guest
Already sent this to rbt, but...
During the winter I sometimes ride on a trainer, and think about how
much energy I'm expending and how it would be cool to harness it to
power, say, my espresso maker.
I finally did a quick google and found this:
http://www.freerepublic.com/forum/a3ab928b76932.htm
which is pretty close to what I envisioned. He uses this contraption to
charge batteries that power devices.
Has anyone seen a marketed version of something like this produced? I'm
not electrical engineer, and for the right price I'd be happy to forgo
the experimentation.
And, yes, I'm well aware of friction light generators. I have two of
them.
/s

Scott Gordo wrote:
> Already sent this to rbt, but...
> During the winter I sometimes ride on a trainer, and think about how
> much energy I'm expending and how it would be cool to harness it to
> power, say, my espresso maker.
> I finally did a quick google and found this:
> http://www.freerepublic.com/forum/a3ab928b76932.htm
> which is pretty close to what I envisioned. He uses this contraption to
> charge batteries that power devices.
> Has anyone seen a marketed version of something like this produced? I'm
> not electrical engineer, and for the right price I'd be happy to forgo
> the experimentation.
> And, yes, I'm well aware of friction light generators. I have two of
> them.
> /s

I'm sure it has been suggested by others, we'd go a long way to solving
the obesity problem if TVs were only hooked up to bicycle powered
generator, or something similar.

--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado

Owner/Operator of the Pekingnese Ranch.

GWood wrote:
> Convenience : the quiet killer.

I thought that was fettucini alfredo

JohnH wrote:
>>I'm sure it has been suggested by others, we'd go a long way to
>>solving the obesity problem if TVs were only hooked up to bicycle
>>powered generator, or something similar.

> http://www.ific.org/foodinsight/1999/mj/pedalingnbfi399.cfm

Well, I was sure.

--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado

Owner/Operator of the Pekingnese Ranch.

"Scott Gordo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Already sent this to rbt, but...
> During the winter I sometimes ride on a trainer, and think about how
> much energy I'm expending and how it would be cool to harness it to
> power, say, my espresso maker.
> I finally did a quick google and found this:
> http://www.freerepublic.com/forum/a3ab928b76932.htm
> which is pretty close to what I envisioned. He uses this contraption to
> charge batteries that power devices.
> Has anyone seen a marketed version of something like this produced? I'm
> not electrical engineer, and for the right price I'd be happy to forgo
> the experimentation.
> And, yes, I'm well aware of friction light generators. I have two of
> them.
> /s

In the late sixties, we had a cabin without electricity, we hooked up to a
car generator and car battery to a bike to listen to the radio.

Shawn wrote:
> GWood wrote:
>> Convenience : the quiet killer.

> I thought that was fettucini alfredo

mmmm...with bacon.

CLEAR!!!....zzzzzap....

Well, when I was a boy, we had to walk uphill to school in both
directions... oh wait, wrong forum.
Late sixties? Um, I'm not sure I recall them that clearly.

[email protected] wrote:
> I guess it work since it worked for the Professor and
> Gilligan and rest of the Island.

That's true...and with flexy bamboo cranks!

:-D