Bicycle Bell?

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by The_Name_is_Ash, Aug 4, 2003.

1. The_Name_is_Ash

The_Name_is_Ash New Member

I got one where you puch the level and it rings, I am just wondering how I can actually use that in my daily rides other then alerting others that I am a young guy lol

Tags:

2. rek

rek New Member

If you're on a shared path, dinging the bell 5 or so seconds before you pass a pedestrian/rollerblade/jogger is the considerate thing to do. People seem to associate the "ding ding" with a bike, so they don't get startled when you pass them.

For everything else your voice is probably better.

3. The_Name_is_Ash

The_Name_is_Ash New Member

oh okay thanks!

4. trek930

trek930 New Member

a "ding-ding" followed by "on your left (or right)" can keep it a good day both ways.

5. Brunswick_kate

Brunswick_kate New Member

I think it's only polite to "ding ding" when approaching a pedestrian from behind. For everything else, the ungodly squeal in my front brakes is warning enough!

6. Charlie Parker

Charlie Parker New Member

If forced to pass a pedestrian I like to go up a couple of gears the get out of the saddle and accelerate rapidly, this way by the time the ped's brain has had a chance to panic and make them jump the wrong way you will hopefully be ten yards or so past them. Be wary of anyone with a compass on a cord around their neck or hiking with ski poles (what the fah is that all about), these people tend to be militant bike haters. If possible pass these types where there is water/feces on the trail and kick out your rear wheel a couple of inches in their direction.

7. AlecLager

AlecLager New Member

It's best to roll your eyes and ding the bell incessantly when the only parking meter you have to lock up to is at a handicapped spot.....