Bicycle Bore...

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by less'go, Oct 25, 2003.

1. less'go

less'go New Member

I am sure that I am not alone in this one...

Do you have this unstoppable urge to talk about all things cycling with whoever you happen to be with?

Do you ever notice your friends' and families' eyes begin to glaze over as you begin to elaborate on your latest cycling exploits, your cycling hopes and dreams, your bike itself, your gears, your brakes, how far you went this week, etc.?

Tell me I am not the only one...

Sara

Tags:
    haleylx4 likes this.

2. Duckwah

Duckwah New Member

Yeah its a curse but i found the perfect solution

move in with another bike nut and then get a huge group of biking friends!!!

works like a charm and then when you want to get rid of anyone you don't like you just crap on about the TDF or the benefits of carbon cranks

now i'm off to tell my boss about the new wheels i bought...

3. less'go

less'go New Member

Hehehehehhe, love it, mate!

Although with family it gets a little sticky... they have to stick around even if you bore their nuts off!

Anybody wanna' know how many k's I did yesterday and I can talk to you about my breathing technique too!

Sara

4. JC Henry

JC Henry New Member

It's even worse when your with 2 other people, 1 of whom who is as deep into biking as you are. You feed off each other's conversation and bore the socks off the 3rd person :)

5. pineapple

pineapple New Member

Yeah I was doing it today to a friend, going on about how I was gonna get a new bike and he looked like he wanted to die... Guess that's what these forums are for:D

6. zaskar

zaskar New Member

yea, im glad i found this place or else no one would wanna be around me:)

7. less'go

less'go New Member

Did it last night (and every day, probably ) to neighbors and husband. Glad I found this forum, too.

Sara

8. mfallon

mfallon New Member

I'm a software developer and none of the people I hang around with are technical people so I learned a long time ago to contain my enthusiasm around others and to only casually mention things that aren't going to hold anyones interest except for my own. I keep friends that way:) This is why you see me on these forums also. You have to be careful because quite a few people confuse enthusiasm with bragging. Also it makes a lot of people feel guilty and uncomfortable about thier own lack of consistant diet and exercise when they hear about what your doing. So I pretty much don't talk about it unless they ask and then thier usually sorry they got me started:)

Matt

9. Paul_MCMLIX

Paul_MCMLIX New Member

I plead guilty.

10. spokesgeek

spokesgeek New Member

i've only been biking since june and i sound like a huge biking geek (hence the name...:D ) constantly yakking away about traffic and all the gear i want, etc . can you imagine what i'll be like in a couple years? i must either surround myself with like-minded addicts or live a life in isolation!

11. Madone

Madone New Member

erm Hi I'm Jake and I'm A BB, thanks for your support,
    same time next week then ;-)

12. rolfdevinci

rolfdevinci New Member

Ooooooooooooooo....don`t get me started! The boys at work think I`m insane to ride a bike that does not have a motor and I`m sure the family blames this whole cycling thing on a mid life crisis.
    I call it the "Look"
    You know....the gaze that non cyclists give you while you babble on about the bike. Lets face it......some of them just don`t get it!
    Poor misguided souls....I guess we should feel sorry for them eh?

13. jtfleming

jtfleming New Member

lol Jake :D you are among friends here

14. Etxy

Etxy New Member

All of my cycling buddies are also obsessive cycling talkers, which suits me fine. I can tell I'm a cycling nerd because I have as good knowledge as the guys at the bike shop I did work experience at... ;)

15. randall0069

randall0069 New Member

The same thing happens to me when I start about the trick '69 Dodge Charger that will be parked next to my TREK Diesel Downhill in my heated garage / work-shop / recording studio....

16. Alnamvet

Alnamvet New Member

The only time I talk about bikes is when people ask about the 3 bikes sitting on the rack attached to my Humvee...seems like they only want to know why I don't have a Hummer bike you figure...

17. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

Lucky for me my wife is as bad or worse than me I am sure she is reading the last chapter of Armstrong last book as I type this. Just think when I started riding in the 80's there was no internet available to me.
    How did I ever survive?

18. Shockproof

Shockproof New Member

Heh, Im definately a BB. Ive seen that glazed over look so many times that ive started trying to curb my enthusiam around my none biker friends. But then it leaves not much else to talk about because ive been doing the bike thing so much that alot of other activities have fallen off a bit. Glad ive got the internet. :)

19. ghostpedal

ghostpedal New Member

OK, we're all probably guilty of this at times. I honestly do think that part of it is jealousy. Many of the people I end up talking to are not interested in cycling nor fitness. I don't hold myself above them, as I was there once upon a time, but I think they feel self-conscious about being overweight and out of shape. Thank god for cycling friends and forums.

20. Goosebeak

Goosebeak New Member

erm....

I've actually built a "house" 17 metres wide by 6 metres deep, one third of which is to house my bicycles and a sauna and jacuzzi, so that I can get away from non-bikers.... Luckily, a third of the house is for an office, so I can get a tax-break on that....

My wife also cycles, but isn't as intense as I am....

South Africa - where land is (relatively) cheap and you can live like a king (of a VERY small) kingdom!!!!!! hehehe