Bicycle Bore...

Unfortunately for me I don't have many folks around who are interested in talking cycling stuff, hence my presence here.

My big problem is related. Instead of having the urge to spend 100% of my conversations on cycling-related stuff, I have the urge to spend 100% of my MONEY on cycling-related stuff. :eek:

less'go said:
I am sure that I am not alone in this one...

Do you have this unstoppable urge to talk about all things cycling with whoever you happen to be with?

Do you ever notice your friends' and families' eyes begin to glaze over as you begin to elaborate on your latest cycling exploits, your cycling hopes and dreams, your bike itself, your gears, your brakes, how far you went this week, etc.?

Tell me I am not the only one...

Sara
You're not alone. My wife thinks that I'm nuts. She wonders why I can spend hours in the basement tinkering with my saddle position, how I can justify $90 on a new stem just to save an ounce of weight, why is it every week I get a package in the mail from Performance or Colorado Cyclist or how can I listen to Phil Liggett for hours on end. I must hear the words "but you already have a bike" at least twice a week. It's even worse when we're with my club buddies... God bless her.
:p

Don't feel bad - my wife thinks I'm irresponsible. I asked her to send off a $330 money order for a set of Cinelli RAM handlebars. For some odd reason, she couldn't believe that was a bargain... or why I'm excited about 'beautiful' handlebars.

"You paid $600 for a set of wheels? Are you nuts?"

"But honey, they're Zipp 404's..."

Some people just don't understand.

Whenever I notice the glazed eyes on the person I'm talking bikes to, I just switch the topic to Telecaster guitars. Variety in our compulsions is good for us!

Dean

Hi my name is Joe, and I am a quadruple bore.
Not only do I bore my wife, and others, about cycling, but being a meditator I put them to sleep with Buddhism and Nagualism, as well.

I've been looking into adding a subwoofer to my audio system and have been going on and on about the 'need' for the additional sound channel.

Finally, with the election coming up I wax eloquently at nearly every opportunity to straighten out the candidates, the situation in Iraq, the economy, stem cell research.......whoops I'm starting again.

The wonderful thing about cycling is that I think about none of this on the road....I just Am.

Hi Joe, I hope you feel better now that you're habit is out in the open for all to see. The first step is acknowledging your problem. The next step is to laugh about your problem. The third step is to accept that it is not really a problem (unless you are losing friends, family, or pets over it).

Go forward in peace, Joe, be serene in the knowledge that you are not alone...

I'm just so happy to see this old thread I started pop back up...

S

Joe Faust said:
Hi my name is Joe, and I am a quadruple bore.
Not only do I bore my wife, and others, about cycling, but being a meditator I put them to sleep with Buddhism and Nagualism, as well.

I've been looking into adding a subwoofer to my audio system and have been going on and on about the 'need' for the additional sound channel.

Finally, with the election coming up I wax eloquently at nearly every opportunity to straighten out the candidates, the situation in Iraq, the economy, stem cell research.......whoops I'm starting again.

The wonderful thing about cycling is that I think about none of this on the road....I just Am.

less'go said:
Hi Joe, I hope you feel better now that you're habit is out in the open for all to see. The first step is acknowledging your problem. The next step is to laugh about your problem. The third step is to accept that it is not really a problem (unless you are losing friends, family, or pets over it).

Go forward in peace, Joe, be serene in the knowledge that you are not alone...

I'm just so happy to see this old thread I started pop back up...

S

Oh Grasshopper you have much to learn. You must integrate you conversations with diversity of other interests.
Example: I was riding my bike on a 50 miler and saw this amazing babe washing her car near the road ,came home had a couple of brews while watching the football game, or had to get away from that political **** on TV so I rode my bike 50 mile to relax.
I was reading a book of poetry isn't it amazing how cycling and verse are so intertwined.

If that doesn't work sr**w em .Just dominate the conversation these people need to be enlightened to the world.

"You spent how much on a bike? It has a motor, right?"
Being in engineering, those of my colleagues who are bored to death just by the thought of cycling can still appreciate things made out of carbon fiber, like my computer mouse. My girlfriend on the other hand just zones out.

I used to make fun of all the teachers I know, because all they ever do is talk about teaching...BORING! I don't think I have ever talked about work after 3:00 when all the kiddies get whisked away...
Then one of them made a comment at lunch the other day that I seem to like talking about the bike quite a lot-****, I've falled into the trap!
Now I eat lunch with the KG aid- she rides as well

Yea I'm with you guys, but how about this one....

... I go cycling regularly with a guy who has absolutely no interest in cycling. he just uses cycling to keep fit. I try talking to him about cycling but he just glazes over. Had to explain the tactics behind racing in a tour and had to explain why Lance didnt win every stage at the last TdF "if he was that good".

Still a good mate and a good riding partner but not a cycling nut.

I recently caught myself in this trap. The peolpe I work with stopped looking with glazed over eyes & just turned & walked away. Hmm maybe I am a BB.

My wife just sends me out on a ride to get me away to stop boring her.

G'day,

perhaps we should start a self help group for cycling addicts...along the lines of AA. we could hold weekly meetings & each person would have their say......."Hello, my name is Hitchy & I have a carbon frame & dura ace addiction...god please help me!"

Hitchy

Oh that is so funny. Yeah people who don't have something in common sometimes do that. Kind of ridiculous how obviously annoyed they are. Jealous even maybe because all they do is sit around eating junk food in front of the TV. Who am I to say? A decent normal person would at the very least show some kind of interest. It is just rude. It's either that or they are so out of it they go into some kind of a trance. It's oh thanks for your interest. It is not even worth it with these people you might as well be talking about the freaking weather. They are just out of it socially. It is just common courtesy to show interest.