bicycle camera mount

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Kayak Dan, Apr 12, 2003.

  1. Kayak Dan

    Kayak Dan Guest

    Does anyone make a camera mount for bicycles?

    Tags:

  2. Jmk

    Jmk Guest

  3. Gary Smiley

    Gary Smiley Guest

    I have a mini-tripod from Eddie Bauer Outlet ($10) that has a velcro strip that allows me to wrap it
    around the stem.

    Kayak Dan wrote:

    > Does anyone make a camera mount for bicycles?

  4. dwmurphy

    dwmurphy Guest

    On Sun, 13 Apr 2003 01:26:22 GMT, "Kayak Dan" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Does anyone make a camera mount for bicycles?

    Campmor has a mount that would clamp to a handlebar.

    www.campmor.com

    called the ultraclamp No.82058-B $19.99

  5. [email protected] (Gary=A0Smiley) Wrote:

    "I have a mini-tripod from Eddie Bauer Outlet ($10) that has a velcro strip that allows me to wrap
    it around the stem."

    Sounds like he's talking about the "UltraPod" There are two models, a small lightweight one which is
    fine for teeny tiny point and shoot cameras, and a slightly bigger one that's sturdy enough for a
    35mm with medium zoom attached.

    I have the bigger model, and carry it in my bag along with my 35mm when I go touring. It has a wrap
    around velcro strap that will let you lash your camera to a post, or to your bike, if you wish. it's
    a good deal.

    I wouldn't go riding with a camera attached to the bike, thou, if that's what you're aiming for.

    It can also be obtained at: http://www.campmor.com

  6. Gary German

    Gary German Guest

    "Kayak Dan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Does anyone make a camera mount for bicycles?

    Duct tape, or zip tie, a disposable 35mm to your helmet. You can get some great action shots while
    on the bike, although you'll look a bit odd doing
    it (Ifirst saw this while on the San Francisco-LA AIDS ride back in '97).

    GG

  7. Kayak Dan <[email protected]> wrote:
    : Does anyone make a camera mount for bicycles?

    Can digital video cameras really manage with all the bumps and vibration? Even many today's models
    have moving parts...

    How about strapping an ordinary tripod to your seat so the camera can be a bit above your head...
    maybe belly level for pedestrians? Then again if you ride a trike you could shoot with one or
    both hands.

    Maybe you could wrap something around the camera so it might even survive a fall :-/

  8. [email protected] wrote:
    > Kayak Dan <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> Does anyone make a camera mount for bicycles?
    >
    > Can digital video cameras really manage with all the bumps and vibration? Even many today's models
    > have moving parts...
    >
    > How about strapping an ordinary tripod to your seat so the camera can be a bit above your head...
    > maybe belly level for pedestrians? Then again if you ride a trike you could shoot with one or
    > both hands.
    >
    > Maybe you could wrap something around the camera so it might even survive a fall :-/

    Skydivers mount videocameras to the side of the helmet. I'm pretty sure that would be the best
    strategy on a bike also. Turn it on or off and it will shoot whatever you are looking at. Leaving
    you free to maneuver the bike.

    --
    Perre

    Remove and/or replace the DOTs as needed to reply

  9. "Per Elmsäter" <[email protected]> wrote:
    : Skydivers mount videocameras to the side of the helmet. I'm pretty sure that would be the best
    : strategy on a bike also. Turn it on or off and it will shoot whatever you are looking at. Leaving
    : you free to maneuver the bike.

    How much do their cameras weigh?

  10. [email protected] wrote:
    > "Per Elmsäter" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> Skydivers mount videocameras to the side of the helmet. I'm pretty sure that would be the best
    >> strategy on a bike also. Turn it on or off and it will shoot whatever you are looking at. Leaving
    >> you free to maneuver the bike.
    >
    > How much do their cameras weigh?

    Same as yours I presume. Ie they buy 'em from the same place. Sony PC1 used to be popular some years
    back. I'm sure there are lighter cameras today. When I was active way back then, I used to jump with
    a camera weighing more than 2 kilo. My neck still remembers it.

    When they shot the James Bond skydives they where using professionally sized cameras. Ie the kind
    reporters mount on their shoulders.It's not really in the way until it's time to open the Parachute.
    If you put both hands to your helmet immediately after opening you may prevent whiplash ;)) and the
    lines might not get tangled in the camera.

    --
    Perre

    Remove and/or replace the DOTs as needed to reply

  11. Rlp

    Rlp Guest

    one and only solution...

    the cine saddle.

    it's a device that the company touts as "the tripod killer" it's a versatile bean bag type device
    that is specifically contoured to hold, wrap like, digital video cameras. the product comes with a
    demo video that has a lot of footage shot from a handlebar mount.

    it's a great product and the small beans act as a cushion and shock absorber that helps reduce if
    not eliminate extraneous camera jerking.

    i'm not a rep, i found the product and used it for a digital feature production i shot with my
    brother in chicago. we mounted it to a car and hung it in an elevator-

    and it was flawless-

  12. Rlp

    Rlp Guest

    see reply below regarding 'cine saddle'. it is the answer...

    [email protected] wrote:
    : How much do their cameras weigh?

    in freefall approaching nothing i'd reckon. unless they stop suddenly and then it'll briefly weigh
    considerably more. but you'd probably be dead then anyway.

    skydivers have it easy as far as cameras are concerned.
    --
    david reuteler [email protected]

  14. Bernie

    Bernie Guest

    David Reuteler wrote:

    > "Per Elmsater" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > : Skydivers mount videocameras to the side of the helmet. I'm pretty sure that would be the best
    > : strategy on a bike also. Turn it on or off and it will shoot whatever you are looking at.
    > : Leaving you free to maneuver the bike.
    >
    > [email protected] wrote:
    > : How much do their cameras weigh?
    >
    > in freefall approaching nothing i'd reckon. unless they stop suddenly and then it'll briefly weigh
    > considerably more. but you'd probably be dead then anyway.
    >
    > skydivers have it easy as far as cameras are concerned.
    > --
    > david reuteler [email protected]

    So.... if you just free fall on your bicycle you'll be okay? ;-}

  15. Kev C

    Kev C Guest

    Bernie typed the following <snip>
    >> skydivers have it easy as far as cameras are concerned.
    >> --
    >> david reuteler [email protected]
    >
    > So.... if you just free fall on your bicycle you'll be okay? ;-}

    The free fall's O.K. its the landing thats a bummer .Actully someone has parachuted on a 'bike (got
    of for landing though)can't recall any details at the moment.

    --
    yours K (Addy not usable [not that you would try it anyway]) There wis a Hare ran tae a burn it ran
    sae fast it couldnae turn

    \\SPLASH// :p

    ---
    18/04/2003

  16. Kev C <[email protected]> wrote:

    : The free fall's O.K. its the landing thats a bummer .Actully someone has parachuted on a 'bike
    : (got of for landing though)can't recall any details at the moment.

    I wonder what one could do with a bent trike and a glider chute... You'd probably need some kind of
    suspension...

  17. Kev C <[email protected]> wrote:
    : The free fall's O.K. its the landing thats a bummer .Actully someone has parachuted on a 'bike
    : (got of for landing though)can't recall any details at the moment.

    i'd have thought the landing would be best part. or at least that'd it be cheating not to land with
    the bike. maybe fully suspended? real stiff springs.
    --

  18. David Reuteler wrote:
    > Kev C <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> The free fall's O.K. its the landing thats a bummer .Actully someone has parachuted on a 'bike
    >> (got of for landing though)can't recall any details at the moment.
    >
    > i'd have thought the landing would be best part. or at least that'd it be cheating not to land
    > with the bike. maybe fully suspended? real stiff springs.

    I don't think landing with the bike should present any problems whatsoever. I used to hang upside
    down and land in a handstand some 25 years ago. Parachutes have gotten softer to land since then.

    --
    Perre

  19. Bernie

    Bernie Guest

    [email protected] wrote:

    > Kev C <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > : The free fall's O.K. its the landing thats a bummer .Actully someone has parachuted on a 'bike
    > : (got of for landing though)can't recall any details at the moment.
    >
    > I wonder what one could do with a bent trike and a glider chute... You'd probably need some kind
    > of suspension...
    >
    > --
    > Risto Varanka | http://www.helsinki.fi/~rvaranka/ varis at no spam please iki fi

    Methinks this would make the term "bent" correct! Bernie