bicycle carrier for cars without tow-bars?

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Yuri Budilov, Feb 16, 2004.

  1. Yuri Budilov

    Yuri Budilov Guest

    hi all

    I am looking to buy a bicycle-car-carrier (for at least two bikes) and do not want to fit a tow bar.
    Any advice of make/model/store to try? Something that will not scratch my car and not damage the
    bikes in transport and hopefully easy to install and remove after use.....

    I have a mid-sized sedan/saloon car (think the shape of a BMW 325i or C-Class Merc) and another one
    which is a hatch-back (shape of VW Golf or Toyota Corolla)

    thanks in advance

    Tags:

  2. Daveb

    Daveb Guest

    Yuri Budilov wrote:
    > hi all
    >
    > I am looking to buy a bicycle-car-carrier (for at least two bikes) and do not want to fit a tow
    > bar. Any advice of make/model/store to try? Something that will not scratch my car and not damage
    > the bikes in transport and hopefully easy to install and remove after use.....
    >
    > I have a mid-sized sedan/saloon car (think the shape of a BMW 325i or C-Class Merc) and another
    > one which is a hatch-back (shape of VW Golf or Toyota Corolla)
    >
    > thanks in advance

    My brother had one of the strap-on bike carriers which was certainly good for 2 bikes. It was rock
    solid on a Commodore and also on the straight rear door of a Jackaroo 4WD. But on my wife's Corolla
    it was a disaster. The weight ended up being distributed across the hatch base and the hatch
    window. Consequently you couldn't tie it down with too much pressure and the whole thing moved
    around quite a bit. Very dosconcerting on country trips, especially the day one of the straps
    bounced loose and the whole thing started to swing across the side of the car with two bikes on
    board. So you may be right one one car but maybe not on another. Maybe soem brands are better than
    others for hatchbacks. Dave B.

  3. Tony

    Tony Guest

    Check out http://www.thule.com/templates/THULE_ProductGroupPage.asp?id=54903

    Easy to install/remove & won't scratch car, but....

    only really suitable for road bike frames, my mtb wouldn't fit.

    Available from http://www.roofrackworld.com.au/

    "Yuri Budilov" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    server.bigpond.net.au...
    > hi all
    >
    > I am looking to buy a bicycle-car-carrier (for at least two bikes) and do not want to fit a tow
    > bar. Any advice of make/model/store to try?
    Something
    > that will not scratch my car and not damage the bikes in transport and hopefully easy to install
    > and remove after use.....
    >
    > I have a mid-sized sedan/saloon car (think the shape of a BMW 325i or C-Class Merc) and another
    > one which is a hatch-back (shape of VW Golf or Toyota Corolla)
    >
    > thanks in advance

  4. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    just remember to put a big note on the steering wheel saying
    "Thou shall not drive into the garage before moving bikes!".

  5. Andyj

    Andyj Guest

    "flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > just remember to put a big note on the steering wheel saying "Thou shall not drive into the garage
    > before moving bikes!".

    Is this from personal experience