Bicycle chosen as best invention

The humble bicycle has won a UK national survey of people's favourite
inventions.

Listeners to BBC Radio 4's You and Yours programme were invited to vote
in an online poll looking at the most significant innovations since
1800.

It was an easy victory for the bicycle which won more than half of the
vote.

The transistor came second with 8% of the vote, and the
electro-magnetic induction ring - the means to harness electricity -
came third.

Interplanetary travel

Despite their ubiquity, computers gained just 6% of the vote and the
internet trailed behind with only 4% of all votes cast. There were more
than 4,500 votes cast in total.

People chose the bicycle for its simplicity of design, universal use,
and because it is an ecologically sound means of transport.

The survey also asked participants which innovation they would most
like to disinvent.
GM foods came top of this poll with 26% of the vote, followed by
nuclear power with 19%.

By contrast, the technology most would like to see invented was an Aids
vaccine.

Alas, plans to ship long-suffering commuters to distant planets may
need to be put on hold with only 15% voting for an interplanetary
commuting transport system.

Half voted water treatment and supply systems as the technology to
bring most benefit to society.

Another 23% thought that vaccinations deserved the honour.

Each of the technologies were nominated by a different expert,
including writer Sir Arthur C Clarke, cloning expert Professor Ian
Wilmut, and Professor Heinz Wolff.

Prof Wolff's praise of the bicycle held the most sway with voters which
will come as a disappointment to Lord Alec Broers, this year's Reith
lecturer.

His series of lectures - Triumph of Technology - prompted the vote.

In the first of his talks, he expressed surprise at the results of a
similar survey.

It too ranked the bicycle above scientific breakthroughs such as
electricity generation, the jet engine, the discovery of DNA and the
invention of vaccinations.

TOP 10 INVENTIONS
Bicycle - 59%
Transistor - 8%
Electro-magnetic induction ring - 8%
Computer - 6%
Germ theory of infection - 5%
Radio - 5%
Internet - 4%
Internal combustion engine - 3%
Nuclear power - 1%
Communications satellite - 1%

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/technology/4513929.stm

Published: 2005/05/05 07:10:11 GMT

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] writes:

> TOP 10 INVENTIONS
> Bicycle - 59%
> Transistor - 8%
> Electro-magnetic induction ring - 8%
> Computer - 6%
> Germ theory of infection - 5%
> Radio - 5%
> Internet - 4%
> Internal combustion engine - 3%
> Nuclear power - 1%
> Communications satellite - 1%

Conspicuously absent in this list is the invention
of ball bearings, which make bicycles effective.
Ball/roller/needle/whatever bearings also play a
significant role in the manufacture and distribution
of all kinds of stuff, including bicycles.

Maybe what we generally describe as a bicycle is just
a support system - a human/ball bearing interface. Or
is that just too "quantum" a way of looking at it?

Clocks and chronometers are also conspicuously absent
from the list. But in a lot of ways clocks are our
bosses, so maybe they're not so popular.

Beer is a pretty good invention; it provided a means
of keeping potable water from going bad during long
sea voyages.

I'd think birth control would be a fairly popular
invention (or set of inventions,) too. And the
self-cleaning oven.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

But clearly they missed this since it is the greatest invention in the
history of the universe.... :

http://www.theonion.com/news/index.php?issue=4117&n=0&ref=myy

-Kent-

"Tom Keats" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] writes:
>>
>> TOP 10 INVENTIONS
>> Bicycle - 59%
>> Transistor - 8%
>> Electro-magnetic induction ring - 8%
>> Computer - 6%
>> Germ theory of infection - 5%
>> Radio - 5%
>> Internet - 4%
>> Internal combustion engine - 3%
>> Nuclear power - 1%
>> Communications satellite - 1%

> Conspicuously absent in this list is the invention
> of ball bearings, which make bicycles effective.
> Ball/roller/needle/whatever bearings also play a
> significant role in the manufacture and distribution
> of all kinds of stuff, including bicycles.
>
> Maybe what we generally describe as a bicycle is just
> a support system - a human/ball bearing interface. Or
> is that just too "quantum" a way of looking at it?
>
> Clocks and chronometers are also conspicuously absent
> from the list. But in a lot of ways clocks are our
> bosses, so maybe they're not so popular.
>
> Beer is a pretty good invention; it provided a means
> of keeping potable water from going bad during long
> sea voyages.
>
> I'd think birth control would be a fairly popular
> invention (or set of inventions,) too. And the
> self-cleaning oven.
>

> cheers,
> Tom
>
> --
> -- Nothing is safe from me.
> Above address is just a spam midden.
> I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn [point] bc [point] ca

Did they mean "Hyperbaric chamber"?

Because that chamber doesn't look like a hyperbola.

\snip

http://www.stelling.nl/konfront/5e2000/10306.html

>Clocks and chronometers are also conspicuously absent
>from the list. But in a lot of ways clocks are our
>bosses, so maybe they're not so popular.
>
>Beer is a pretty good invention; it provided a means
>of keeping potable water from going bad during long
>sea voyages.

The original post specified:the most significant innovations since
1800. Beer and clocks are older than that.

Bicycles and ball bearings can be traced back to the 18th century.The
celerifere and velocipede existed in the 1790s. Philip Vaughan applied
for a ball race patent in 1794. It wasn't until 1862 that precision
ball bearings could be mass produced and 1861 before pedals and cranks
caught on.

The outstanding value represented by my bicycle is that it costs me
thirty bucks taxi fare to the LBS and back. (OCB!)
Not many trips like that and the bike pays for itself.
--
zk

In article <[email protected]>,
"Tokay" <[email protected]> writes:
> Did they mean "Hyperbaric chamber"?
>
> Because that chamber doesn't look like a hyperbola.

I'm sitting in a hyperbarbaric chamber right now.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

"Jim Smith" wrote: It is absolutely the best word ever. You have got to
add it to your vocabulary or you will die. Do it now or you will never
forgive yourself!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That sounds to me like "high pressure."

Zoot Katz wrote:
> Fri, 6 May 2005 10:52:10 -0700, <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] (Tom Keats) wrote:
> > >

> >Beer is a pretty good invention; it provided a means
> >of keeping potable water from going bad during long
> >sea voyages.

> The original post specified:the most significant innovations since
> 1800. Beer and clocks are older than that.

Beer is responsible for the civilization of mankind. Without
fermentation it is not possible to get enough nutrition from grain to
survive efficiently. Before beer man was a nomadic hunter-gatherer.
After the invention of beer (soggy grain) we were able to settle in one
spot and raise crops. That was the dawn of civilization and for that I
thank beer every day.

[email protected]

I read this a few months ago. I think it is the same site.

The "deciders" were aghast.

Bicycle before electricity? (for example...they essentially said the ballots
were stuffed at the box in favor of bicycles)

For me, I know the bicycle is a noble invention...but the best since 1800?

"Bartow W. Riggs" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I read this a few months ago. I think it is the same site.
>
> The "deciders" were aghast.
>
> Bicycle before electricity? (for example...they essentially said the ballots
> were stuffed at the box in favor of bicycles)
>
> For me, I know the bicycle is a noble invention...but the best since 1800?
>
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Bicycle chosen as best invention
> >

> > The humble bicycle has won a UK national survey of people's favourite
> > inventions.

> > Prof Wolff's praise of the bicycle held the most sway with voters which
> > will come as a disappointment to Lord Alec Broers, this year's Reith
> > lecturer.
> >
> > His series of lectures - Triumph of Technology - prompted the vote.
> >
> > In the first of his talks, he expressed surprise at the results of a
> > similar survey.
> >
> > It too ranked the bicycle above scientific breakthroughs such as
> > electricity generation, the jet engine, the discovery of DNA and the
> > invention of vaccinations.

> > http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/technology/4513929.stm

Well, aside from the simple (and probably correct) ballot-stuffing
explanation, bicycles are just such a viscerally pleasant invention.
Stuff like water treatment and vaccination, while really important,
doesn't personally touch someone (you can't really feel your life being
saved from the wrath of cholera...).

Bicycles are very personal devices, they are positive in their action
(as opposed to boringly preventive), the result of using one is
immediately evident, and they're a lot of fun. Better than digital
watches, even.

It's also a technology that's all very obvious and mechanical. The
nature of the debt the bicycle owes to mass production and modern
machining technologies is clearly written on the parts.

Go ride,
--
Ryan Cousineau, [email protected] http://www.wiredcola.com
Verus de parvis; verus de magnis.

Bartow W. Riggs wrote:
> I read this a few months ago. I think it is the same site.
>
> The "deciders" were aghast.
>
> Bicycle before electricity? (for example...they essentially said the
> ballots were stuffed at the box in favor of bicycles)

Apparently those who insitigated the original survey were aghast at the
victory of the Noble Bicycle, so They held it again. The bicycle won
again...

NB: We do not advise adherence to the principle of "vote early and vote
often" in any form of democratic process, unless one is using it to
overthrow Mr Ynot B Liar. Signed: The Mgt.

The thing about Tony Parsons, though, the defining aspect of his
personality, is that he is a complete ****.