Bicycle "clip" or cuff-band or whatever

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Hugh Johnson

What's the best way to keep your pants cuff out of the chainrings? I've just been using an elastic
strap thingy, but today I bought some convertable pants (legs zip off to turn them into shorts) and
the cuffs are real big and baggy (so you can convert them without removing your shoes) almost like
old bell-bottoms (which coincidentally I just bought an old Terje Rypdal 1970's fusion jazz -- oh
man, he still holds up well and keeps visitors from overstaying their welcome!). So, gimme an idea
of something comfy to wrap around the leg, something that spans from ankle to mid-calf, something
that goes on and comes off easy, somethnng I can stuff in my pocket, something that doesn't look too
shabby either. Thanks. I need these pants at this time of year when the weather is so unpredictable.

"Hugh Johnson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>... So, gimme an idea of something
comfy to wrap
> around the leg, something that spans from ankle to mid-calf, something that goes on and comes off
> easy, somethnng I can stuff in my pocket, something that doesn't look too shabby either. Thanks. I
> need these pants at this time of year when the weather is so unpredictable.

My wife uses the elastic upper portion of a worn-out sock to protect her pants. Old sport socks work
best- they can cover a large portion of the calf. Just remember to take it off when you get to work!

Jeff

Originally posted by Jeff Wills
news:<[email protected]>... So, gimme an idea of something
comfy to wrap
> around the leg, something that spans from ankle to mid-calf, something that goes on and comes off
> easy, somethnng I can stuff in my pocket, something that doesn't look too shabby either. Thanks. I
> need these pants at this time of year when the weather is so unpredictable.

My wife uses the elastic upper portion of a worn-out sock to protect her pants. Old sport socks work
best- they can cover a large portion of the calf. Just remember to take it off when you get to work!

Jeff
You can also just fold your pants leg over and pull your socks over them, if the socks are long enough. To startle the fashion police even more wear breadbags over your shoes when it's wet out. Both tecniques helped me through college :) Don

news:<[email protected]>...
> So, gimme an idea of something comfy to wrap around the leg, something that spans from ankle to
> mid-calf, something that goes on and comes off easy, somethnng I can stuff in my pocket, something
> that doesn't look too shabby either. Thanks. I need these pants at this time of year when the
> weather is so unpredictable.

If you have an old worn-out pair of cycling tights, cut off part of it and pull the spandex over
your pant leg to keep it clean and out of the chain run.

Bill Anton 2001 Vision R-40 SWB OSS Lubbock, TX

Jeff Wills wrote:

> My wife uses the elastic upper portion of a worn-out sock to protect her pants. Old sport socks
> work best- they can cover a large portion of the calf. Just remember to take it off when you get
> to work!

Jeff,

Socks such as these? < http://home.pacifier.com/~jwills/Gallery/Aerorivr.jpg > Sorry ;)

Tom Sherman - Various HPV's Quad Cities USA (Illinois side)

Chain tube (if you don't want to buy 50' of the black, most stores sell a whitish-translucent kind
that works well. I put mine on by slicing it lengthwise, then duct-taping it back shut.)

That's for mid-leg grease. then I have to roll up my right pantleg to keep it out of that giant
pizza chainring on the front of the rocket. Sure, I've got fancy leg dealies, but I always forget
them, so the tube and roll works best for me.

>What's the best way to keep your pants >cuff out of the chainrings?
Hi Hugh, I've ridden thousands of miles in pants like you describe. The best thing I have found to
use are velcro "lashing straps". I get 'em at Lowe's, they wrap around the calf about twice, and
work pretty well. You can put a strip of velcro tape on the wall by where you park your bike, and
hang them right there. Some grease on the pant leg just comes with the territory though...have
fun!,Mark C.

Here's my idea -- and my wife says it's possible; she should know, as she sews pretty well. A piece
of lycra or spandex, long enough to go from ankle to mid calf, with velcro down the front of the
leg. Now the material could be in any color/pattern you could get for swim suits (ladies?!) and the
velcro wouldn't have to show, so you'd have this tight (sort-of) material wrapped around your leg.
The velcro would brace it enough to keep it from rolling down around your ankle, and it would fit
"most" sizes of leg. You could get fancy with the material and put reflective stuff down the back of
your calf, or get a sponsor and put their name down the back of your legs. Since you ask, and I have
the same problem, we may put together a set and try them out.

So, gimme an idea of something comfy to wrap
> around the leg, something that spans from ankle to mid-calf, something
that
> goes on and comes off easy, somethnng I can stuff in my pocket, something that doesn't look too
> shabby either. Thanks. I need these pants at this
time
> of year when the weather is so unpredictable.

>Hugh Johnson at [email protected] wrote on 5/4/03 10:54 PM: What's the best way to keep your pants
>cuff out of the chainrings? I've just been using an elastic strap thingy, but today I bought some
>convertable pants (legs zip off to turn them into shorts) and the cuffs are real big and baggy (so
>you can convert them without removing your shoes) almost like old bell-bottoms <snip> So, gimme an
>idea of something comfy to wrap around the leg, something that spans from ankle to mid-calf,
>something that goes on and comes off easy, somethnng I can stuff in my pocket, something that
>doesn't look too shabby either. Thanks. I need these pants at this time of year when the weather is
>so unpredictable.

I use florescent reflective strips ( wrists and ankles) with velcro.

I just purchased thin round elastic and flat barrel style closers for the bottom of my "zippy pants"
that are the same as yours. It is a lightweight, take-along solution that you can thread through the
existing hem. Easily threaded if you use a closed safety pin. Price: 10metres thin round elastic
$1CDN pair of flat barrel style closers $2 CDN

Hugh Johnson asks:

> What's the best way to keep your pants cuff out of the chainrings?

Personally, I recommend not wearing loose flappy kecks for cycling in the first place :)

Dave Larrington - http://legslarry.crosswinds.net/
===========================================================
Editor - British Human Power Club Newsletter
http://www.bhpc.org.uk/
===========================================================

Status
Not open for further replies.