bicycle closeouts

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by LSEverett, Feb 19, 2003.

  1. LSEverett

    LSEverett Guest

    Who makes Fastrax, or Tsunami, or Wheeler bicycle frames. I found a website of extremely cheap bike
    frames and am very curious/suspicious

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>, <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Who makes Fastrax, or Tsunami, or Wheeler bicycle frames. I found a website of extremely cheap bike
    >frames and am very curious/suspicious

    I thought Tsunami was a "house brand" of Chuck's Bikes - in other words something made in one of the
    big China/Taiwan factories and then decals added for a retailer to create a brand. This is not
    really a bad thing as long as the price is right, and the prices are usually very low. Often other
    large bike companies in the West buy the same (or similar) frames from the same factory and put
    different labels on them. The main difference in that case is warranty and support, dealer network,
    etc. You can't assume the company will still exist by the time a warranty claim is contemplated.

    Of course you don't get a guarantee of that with Schwinn, GT, Bridgestone, etc. as big companies can
    go bankrupt or leave the market as well.

    --Paul

  3. Gary Smiley

    Gary Smiley Guest

    Does anyone have a list of popular American brands which are made in Asia, and which bikes come from
    which factories?

    Paul Southworth wrote:

    > In article <[email protected]>, <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >Who makes Fastrax, or Tsunami, or Wheeler bicycle frames. I found a website of extremely cheap
    > >bike frames and am very curious/suspicious
    >
    > I thought Tsunami was a "house brand" of Chuck's Bikes - in other words something made in one of
    > the big China/Taiwan factories and then decals added for a retailer to create a brand. This is not
    > really a bad thing as long as the price is right, and the prices are usually very low. Often other
    > large bike companies in the West buy the same (or similar) frames from the same factory and put
    > different labels on them. The main difference in that case is warranty and support, dealer
    > network, etc. You can't assume the company will still exist by the time a warranty claim is
    > contemplated.
    >
    > Of course you don't get a guarantee of that with Schwinn, GT, Bridgestone, etc. as big companies
    > can go bankrupt or leave the market as well.
    >
    > --Paul

  4. Ajames54

    Ajames54 Guest

    On Thu, 20 Feb 2003 03:24:30 GMT, <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Who makes Fastrax, or Tsunami, or Wheeler bicycle frames. I found a website of extremely cheap bike
    >frames and am very curious/suspicious

    When wheeler first hit the market in '93 or so, they were a Taiwan based contract builder trying to
    emulate Giant (Branding with their own name). Surprisingly good bikes at that time ( we sold them
    and I rode an 8800 for a couple years). Can't say for sure what became of their quality however.

    Does anyone know it the TBG (Taiwan Bicycle Guide) is still available? I used to receive it every
    year, and I miss seeing
    it...