Bicycle commuting

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Steve, Jul 22, 2003.

  1. Steve

    Steve Guest

    Tags:

  2. On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 14:52:59 +0000, Steve wrote:

    > Congress to bikers: Get a car
    >
    > A house subcommittee has voted to cut all funding for bike paths and other pollution-free
    > transportation programs.
    >
    > http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2003/07/22/bike_paths/index.html

    Maybe now all the crap motorists hurl about "get off my road" can cease since not only do cyclists
    pay for roads, but they don't get anything in return.

    Preston

  3. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 14:52:59 GMT, Steve <[email protected]> wrote:

    >A house subcommittee has voted to cut all funding for bike paths and other pollution-free
    >transportation programs.

    That's because they don't burn oil - any journey accomplished without buning oil is subversive and
    un-American. If the last year has taught us anything it must surely be that oil is everything to the
    current administration. America is an oiligarchy now!

    Guy
    ===
    ** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com [currently
    offline awaiting ADSL transfer to new ISP]

  4. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

  5. Aeiouy

    Aeiouy Guest

    "Steve" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...
    > Congress to bikers: Get a car
    >
    > A house subcommittee has voted to cut all funding for bike paths and other pollution-free
    > transportation programs.
    >
    > http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2003/07/22/bike_paths/index.html

    "Steve" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...
    > Congress to bikers: Get a car
    >
    > A house subcommittee has voted to cut all funding for bike paths and other pollution-free
    > transportation programs.
    >
    > http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2003/07/22/bike_paths/index.html

    Those F*&#@$^%^^!&()@#$(*_&()!!!! They can't come up with $600 million for an entire year as we burn
    through a billion a week in Iraq. If anybody knows a link to how the members voted on the measure
    please post it. If you live in their district here's where to let them know what you think:

    Subcommittee on Transportation, Treasury and Independent Agencies 2358 Rayburn HOB Washington,
    D.C. 20515

    Ernest J. Istook, Jr., Oklahoma (CH) Oklahoma-5th, Republican 2404 Rayburn HOB Washington, DC
    20515-3605 Phone: (202) 225-2132

    John W. Olver, Massachusetts Massachusetts-1st, Democrat 1027 Longworth HOB Washington, DC
    20515-2101 Phone: (202) 225-5335

    Frank R. Wolf, Virginia Virginia-10th, Republican 241 Cannon HOB Washington, DC 20515-4610 Phone:
    (202) 225-5136

    Ed Pastor, Arizona Arizona-4th, Democrat 2465 Rayburn HOB Washington, DC 20515-0304 Phone:
    (202) 225-4065

    Jerry Lewis, California California-41st, Republican 2112 Rayburn HOB Washington, DC 20515-0541
    Phone: (202) 225-5861

    Carolyn C. Kilpatrick, Michigan Michigan-13th, Democrat 1610 Longworth HOB Washington, DC 20515-2213
    Phone: (202) 225-2261

    Harold Rogers, Kentucky Kentucky-5th, Republican 2406 Rayburn HOB Washington, DC 20515-1705 Phone:
    (202) 225-4601

    James E. Clyburn, South Carolina South Carolina-6th, Democrat 2135 Rayburn HOB Washington, DC
    20515-4006 Phone: (202) 225-3315

    Todd Tiahrt, Kansas (VC) Kansas-4th, Republican 2441 Rayburn HOB Washington, DC 20515-1604 Phone:
    (202) 225-6216

    Steven R. Rothman, New Jersey New Jersey-9th, Democrat 1607 Longworth HOB Washington, DC 20515-3009
    Phone: (202) 225-5061

    Anne Northup, Kentucky Kentucky-3rd, Republican 1004 Longworth HOB Washington, DC 20515-1703 Phone:
    (202) 225-5401

    Robert Aderholt, Alabama Alabama-4th, Republican 1433 Longworth HOB Washington, DC 20515-0104 Phone:
    (202) 225-4876

    John E. Sweeney, New York New York-20th, Republican 416 Cannon HOB Washington, DC 20515-3220 Phone:
    (202) 225-5614

    John Abney Culberson, Texas Texas-7th, Republican 1728 Longworth HOB Washington, DC 20515-4307
    Phone: (202) 225-2571

  6. Scott Bonner

    Scott Bonner Guest

    I ride a bike, and I drive a car. I never ride on bike paths, as they are usually poorly designed,
    and then drivers get pissed off when you dare get on "their" rode.

    Learn to ride on the road, and then all the new roads are new bike paths.

    "Steve" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...
    > Congress to bikers: Get a car
    >
    > A house subcommittee has voted to cut all funding for bike paths and other pollution-free
    > transportation programs.
    >
    > http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2003/07/22/bike_paths/index.html

  7. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Scott Bonner" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I ride a bike, and I drive a car. I never ride on bike paths, as they are usually poorly designed,
    > and then drivers get pissed off when you dare get on "their" rode.
    >
    > Learn to ride on the road, and then all the new roads are new bike paths.

    That is all well and fine. I, too, tend to stick to the streets. But here in Chicago we have bike
    lanes that are nicely placed on the streets. This funding might help out with making more miles a
    reality in the city. Of course, we'll never know. There are also projects afoot in the area to
    expand some of our out-of-the-city paths, which are excellent, traffic- and trouble-free ways to
    bike. This is no good, no matter how you cut it.

    Typical, though, of narrow-minded politicians, though, who look as far as the end of their noses.
    Support big business, big pollution and is astonished when the inevitable happens. The good thing:
    EVENTUALLY, we will run out of oil. I shall wave cheerfully at the $50,000 SUVs parked in every
    American driveway.

  8. Mark Weaver

    Mark Weaver Guest

    "Donny Harder Jr." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > "Scott Bonner" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > I ride a bike, and I drive a car. I never ride on bike paths, as they
    are
    > > usually poorly designed, and then drivers get pissed off when you dare
    get
    > > on "their" rode.
    > >
    > > Learn to ride on the road, and then all the new roads are new bike
    paths.

    > That is all well and fine. I, too, tend to stick to the streets. But here in Chicago we have bike
    > lanes that are nicely placed on the streets. This funding might help out with making more miles a
    > reality in the city. Of course, we'll never know. There are also projects afoot in the area to
    > expand some of our out-of-the-city paths, which are excellent, traffic- and trouble-free ways to
    > bike. This is no good, no matter how you cut it.

    Chicago is a great example of the utility of a well-planned bike path. Whenever we visit for a
    weekend, we always bring the bikes and we treat the lakefront bikepath as a sort of limited-access
    bike 'expressway' -- exiting onto local streets whenever we get as far north or south as we're
    going. No buses and taxis to dodge on the bike path, no exhaust to breathe, and the views of the
    lake and skyline are fabulous.

    Mark

  9. Jon Bloom

    Jon Bloom Guest

    On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 03:40:42 -0400, Donny Harder Jr. wrote:

    > Typical, though, of narrow-minded politicians, though, who look as far as the end of their noses.
    > Support big business, big pollution and is astonished when the inevitable happens. The good thing:
    > EVENTUALLY, we will run out of oil. I shall wave cheerfully at the $50,000 SUVs parked in every
    > American driveway.

    No, you won't. You'll be too busy dodging the ex-drivers who've pulled the old Huffy out of the back
    of the garage and are wobbling up the hill on the way to work while they listen to their portable
    stereo using headphones. :)

    Jon

  10. Jon Bloom

    Jon Bloom Guest

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 20:18:36 -0400, Mark Hickey wrote:

    > Steve <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Congress to bikers: Get a car
    >>
    >>A house subcommittee has voted to cut all funding for bike paths and other pollution-free
    >>transportation programs.
    >>
    >>http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2003/07/22/bike_paths/index.html
    >
    > Bike commuters ride on the road, not bike paths. The only ones who'll suffer are rollerbladers and
    > dog walkers.

    This also eliminates the funding for ROAD improvements for cycling. (Naturally, the Salon article
    didn't mention that since to most people, probably including Salon editors, cycling = bike paths.)

    Here in Connecticut you can easily see the difference this funding makes. There are a number of
    bridges across the Connecticut River, for example. Those built before TEA funding required
    pedestrian and bicycle access in the design have no, or poor, access. Those built or rebuilt
    post-TEA are accessible. I, for one, have no wish to return to the days when new construction
    projects made bicycle use of the road network more difficult.

    The bill at issue would eliminate Transportation Enhancement funding. This is precisely the funding
    used to widen shoulders, provide ped/cycle access to bridges and make various safety improvments
    that affect cyclists and pedestrians.

    Bottom line: Unless all of your riding is on single track, this proposed cut in funding very much
    affects you.

    Jon

  11. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 07:47:59 -0400, Jon Bloom <[email protected]> wrote:

    >This also eliminates the funding for ROAD improvements for cycling.

    Naturally. SUV makers are trying to sell into other markets, so they are having to reduce the crappy
    gas mileage of their behemoths. Only by eliminating benign modes altogether can the US continue to
    buck the global trend and reduce the average mpg of it's vehicles.

    Guy
    ===
    ** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com [currently
    offline awaiting ADSL transfer to new ISP]

  12. Goimir

    Goimir Guest

    Jon Bloom wrote:

    e bill at issue would eliminate Transportation Enhancement funding. This
    > is precisely the funding used to widen shoulders, provide ped/cycle access to bridges and make
    > various safety improvments that affect cyclists and pedestrians.
    >
    > Bottom line: Unless all of your riding is on single track, this proposed cut in funding very much
    > affects you.

    I don't really see what the big attraction is to shoulders, anyway. They're always filled with
    glass, gravel, litter, cigarette butts, and other wonderful things. Better off in the lane, which is
    kept clean by traffic. Let the motorists pass you when it's convenient and safe.

    The only thing I could really see this affecting is traffic signals. But isn't that covered under
    some other act/publication? Something about universal accessability? Don't sensors have to pick
    up all valid traffic, or they are considered "broken"? And if the signal is broken, treat it as a
    4 way stop.

    I think we can ride on the road. Let's not lose our rights to it by demanding special
    facilities(cycle paths that let us avoid roads, or special lanes where we must ride when they
    are present).

    I'm not talking about breaking the law, or cvffvat people off, just getting from point a to point b,
    on the roads that we are entitled to use, in a safe and speedy manner.

  13. Henry

    Henry Guest

    > No, you won't. You'll be too busy dodging the ex-drivers who've pulled the old Huffy out of the
    > back of the garage and are wobbling up the hill on the way to work while they listen to their
    > portable stereo using headphones. :)
    >
    > Jon

    don't forget the cell phone......

  14. Brent Hugh

    Brent Hugh Guest

    [regarding a recent proposal by a US House subcommittee to de-fund all Transporation Enhancements
    projects in the next federal transportation bill]

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 20:18:36 -0400, Mark Hickey wrote:
    > Bike commuters ride on the road, not bike paths. The only ones who'll suffer are rollerbladers and
    > dog walkers.

    First of all, they're actually proposing to eliminate more than just Enhancements funding. They've
    pretty much gone in and ripped out every bit of bike/ped funding they could find. And while they're
    at it, they've drastically reduced funding for transit and Amtrak.

    Second, one of the great steps forward in ISTEA and TEA21 is the provision for citizen input into
    plans and projects. If much Enhancements money has been spent on multi-use paths, it's because
    citizens have been standing up and clamoring for paths. If you and other transportational cyclists
    in your area want Enhancements money spent on projects that you prefer--wide curb lanes, street
    cleaning, driver or cyclist education, "Share the Road" signs, bridge access, bike racks on buses,
    or whatever else turns your crank--then get together, lobby your local governments and
    metropolitan planning organizations, and make those things happen INSTEAD OF (or in addition to)
    the trails you dislike.

    Here are some of the projects I happen to know have been funded here in Missouri from ISTEA-TEA21
    Enhancements funds:

    * Adding width to some streets & highways to better accommodate bicycles (and I don't mean just
    drawing a bike lane on an already wide street--although I'm sure that has been done, too--I mean
    actually laying down new, wider pavement)

    * "Share the Road" signs

    * Bike racks on buses in Kansas City and St. Louis areas

    * Hazard mitigation (replacing dangerous grates, fixing potholes, adjusting traffic lights
    for bicycles)

    * A series of high-profile radio advertisements educating motorists about driving safely around
    bicyclists

    * Distribution of bicycle safety literature (and not just pablum, either--pretty good "effective
    cycling"-type stuff)

    * Funding for programs to encourage bike commuting and things like "guaranteed ride home"

    * Funding for Statewide Bicycle Coordinator position in MoDOT. This person is a bicycle advocate in
    a place that previously had no bicycle advocate nor anyone who especially thought of bicycling on
    state roads. This one change has brought about a daisy-chain of positive results, including a new
    rumble-strip policy, a new drain grate policy, better mention of bicycle-related issues in the
    official state Driver Guide, work on state-wide bicycle routes and maps, and numerous
    improvements to specific road projects.

    * Funding for Bike/Ped Coordinator positions in every Metropolitan Planning Organization (such
    coordinators help create region-wide bike plans and standards and can help greatly to encourage
    cities and towns within the region to plan and build bicycle-friendly roads)

    * Creation of various city-, county-, region-, and state-wide bicycle plans and construction
    standards. Again, previous to ISTEA there was essentially no planning around bicycling in
    Missouri and no consideration of bicyclist needs in road construction.

    And, yes, Enhancements funds have paid for the construction of a lot of multi-use trails in
    Missouri, including almost all of the Katy Trail. And Enhancements funds have paid for pedestrian
    projects and a lot of other things you probably don't care about, like highway landscaping,
    transportation museums, and other such stuff.

    But Enhancements is the main pot of federal money that can be used to improve the roads for
    bicycling.

    So--don't throw the baby out with the bathwater!

    Last I heard, discussion of these proposed cuts in the House Appropriations Committee is scheduled
    for 10AM, Thursday, July 24th, 2003.

    For more details see

    http://www.antc.net/campaign/fy04_appropriations_alert.asp

    To contact a member of the US House of Representatives, see

    http://www.house.gov/

    --Brent Missouri Bicycle Federation bhugh [at] mwsc.edu