Bicycle dreams

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Claire Petersky, May 28, 2003.

  1. Here's one:

    The dream: I was riding up a hill in a high gear, really mashing it. It was so hard to stomp on the
    pedals that I was nearly in tears at the effort. Only at the point of waking (just before, just
    after?) I realized that I could put the bike into a lower gear and simply spin up the hill.

    Interpretation: there is a personal issue that I am really working hard on, and from time to time it
    does bring me to tears. Maybe I'm trying to hard -- if I let go a little, maybe it will be easier --
    even joyful? -- to deal with.

    Do you ride your bike in your dreams? What are your bicycle dreams like?

    Warm Regards,

    Claire Petersky ([email protected]) Home of the meditative cyclist at:

  2. Mike Kruger

    Mike Kruger Guest

    > Do you ride your bike in your dreams? What are your bicycle dreams like?

    My most common bicycle dream is a peaceful one. I'm just cruising. Sunny day, flat road, out on the
    country, no traffic, good pavement. The pedal rhythm smooth, like a relaxed heartbeat. I feel
    strong. Just rolling along easily without a care in the world.

    The color in the dream is yellow: golden fields, yellow sunshine.

  3. --------------D867D9AE785EEBE3305FE6E2 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii

    Claire Petersky wrote:

    > Do you ride your bike in your dreams? What are your bicycle dreams like?

    Here you go, Claire. Go to town. (On your bike.)

    Google Groups Search: bike OR bicycle OR tricycle OR trike OR pedal group:alt.dreams.

    If that doesn't work, try:

    http://makeashorterlink.com/?N29442CB4

    --------------D867D9AE785EEBE3305FE6E2 Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii

    <!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en"> <html> Claire Petersky wrote:
    like?</blockquote> Here you go, Claire. Go to town. (On your bike.)
    ages&ie=ISO-8859-1&as_ugroup=alt.dreams&lr=lang_en&num=100&as_scoring=d&hl=en">Google Groups
    Search: bike OR bicycle OR tricycle OR trike OR pedal group:alt.dreams</a>.
    <q> If that doesn't work, try:

    --------------D867D9AE785EEBE3305FE6E2--

  4. Claire Petersky <[email protected]> wrote...

    <snip interesting dream and interpretation - thanks!>

    > Do you ride your bike in your dreams? What are your bicycle dreams like?

    Funny you should post this just now, because last night I had a dream with a bicycle in it, and I
    was too rushed to post the dream and subsequent events had me wishing I had gotten it here when I
    wrote it down this morning.

    Here's the portion of last night's dream relating to a bicycle:

    Scene shift: We are driving back. The highway we are on has turned into a street on which I walked
    to school w was a boy, except that it had houses only on one side, and dunes leading to a beach on
    the other side. We went down through a gap in the dunes and find ourselves in the audience of "So
    Graham Norton," a British talk show, being held on the beach...

    <snip part of dream>

    There is a regular in the audience of Graham Norton's show, an old woman he frequently makes fun of
    or includes stunts and skits (in RL). In this show, she is featured as a woman who lives on the
    beach, a homeless woman who manages a meager living by finding things to salvage. I stand nearby as
    she uses a garden rake to scrape away sand from a dune and expose an old black bicycle with a bent
    front wheel; she is very excited by this find. The audience applauds, but I think this is terrible,
    because the audience and Norton and his show will all leave after the half-hour is up, and this poor
    old woman will be left alone on this beach, literally scraping up scraps to survive. I take the bike
    (or maybe her rake - it wasn't clear) away from her and toss it into the sea, and say that I will
    help her find a better life.

    =END OF DREAM=

    I typed the dream up this morning, but didn't have time to post it here because I had to drive my
    father to a doctor appointment. The first part of the dream involved driving on an island lined with
    beach houses, and the drive to the doctor is along a highway on an island lined with beach houses.
    Nothing unusual there - I had the trip in mind, but the scenery certainly kept the dream in mind
    during the drive.

    But as I was sitting at a traffic light in town, about a half-mile from the doctor's office, an old
    woman passed in front of me on the cross street riding a bicycle straight out of the dream (except
    for the bent wheel). A black men's bicycle easily fifty years old, an old woman (white/English in
    the dream, black in RL). I actually exclaimed out loud, "That's the bike from my dream!" when I saw
    it, and then had to explain the dream to my father.

    (If there's a psychic aspect to my dreams occasionally, I sure wish I could tune it into what next
    week's lottery drawing will be, instead of foreseeing an old bicycle! <grumble, grumble>)

    Robert

  5. Zoot Katz

    Zoot Katz Guest

    28 May 2003 17:25:38 -0700,
    <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Claire Petersky) wrote:

    >Here's one:
    >
    >The dream: I was riding up a hill in a high gear, really mashing it. It was so hard to stomp on the
    >pedals that I was nearly in tears at the effort. Only at the point of waking (just before, just
    >after?) I realized that I could put the bike into a lower gear and simply spin up the hill.
    >
    >Interpretation: there is a personal issue that I am really working hard on, and from time to time
    >it does bring me to tears. Maybe I'm trying to hard -- if I let go a little, maybe it will be
    >easier -- even joyful? -- to deal with.
    >
    >Do you ride your bike in your dreams? What are your bicycle dreams like?
    One cycling dream occurred while I was cycling. I couldn't tell if I was asleep on the bike or in
    bed and dreaming about cycling. I figured that if I just stayed asleep, I'd be okay. I woke up on
    the top tube when the bike lodged itself in a hedge.

    More recently I was dreaming about cycle polo. It was in an asylum. All the windows looked out onto
    fields and people were playing really nutty variations of the game on each of these fields. The day
    rooms were full of cheering and gambling by the patients who couldn't play. There were lot of extra
    bikes. I chased a ball to the boundary that was a high chain-link fence. I kept hitting the ball
    along the fence line until I came to a gate. The guard said I could go get my own bike if I wanted
    because I wasn't an inmate. That's when I woke up somewhat disappointed that the dream had been
    interrupted. I went back to sleep and resumed the dream riding my own bike back to the asylum. The
    guard said if I entered, I'd become an inmate because I must be crazy to have come back. I went in
    because I wanted to play play cycle polo and knowing full well I could wake up when I wanted and be
    out of the place. It was fun dream.
    --
    zk

  6. I fly in my dreams-----no need for a bicycle.

    Steve McDonald

  7. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected]
    (Steve McDonald) wrote:

    > I fly in my dreams-----no need for a bicycle.
    >
    > Steve McDonald

    I recently dreamed that I had been riding my bike and then when I leaned it against a wall, I went
    back later and saw there were no pedals. I thought, how did that happen? I thought maybe a friend of
    ours had been fixing it and forgot to put them back on.

  8. Harris

    Harris Guest

    In rec.bicycles.misc Mike Kruger <[email protected]> wrote:

    > The color in the dream is yellow: golden fields, yellow sunshine.

    "Golden slumbers fill your eyes, smiles awake you when you rise..."

    Art

  9. [email protected] (Claire Petersky) wrote:
    > Do you ride your bike in your dreams? What are your bicycle dreams like?

    I had one a few weeks ago. I was riding my 'home' bike--a blue kinda-touring bike-- and suddenly
    somehow I found I was riding down very steep stairs outdoors. I haven't been this skilled in real
    life ever; I could stop the bike, trackstand it at landings, roll at will down the stairs; I come to
    a closed iron gate--but still sunshine and birdsong everywhere. I ride through alleyways until I
    come to one which has a few people walking through, a blue neon sign overhead glowing over a chinese
    grocery and another narrow passageway that leads to a store selling electrical appliances.

    The weirdest thing about this is that I haven't been anywhere near that adventurous on a bicycle,
    skillswise, since I was about eight years old. It was a hell of a feeling--nothing could go wrong. I
    was invincible, sunshine everywhere--and I wasn't wearing my glasses (which I only started wearing
    when I was nine). But I was aware that my body was as it is now, aware of the feel of my own bicycle
    (it wasn't any other bicycle).

    If anybody can tell me what that means, I'd be grateful. But damn being that skilled felt good--and
    I'm not that skilled in real life, at least not anymore.

    -Luigi

  10. "Claire Petersky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Here's one:
    >
    > The dream: I was riding up a hill in a high gear, really mashing it. It was so hard to stomp on
    > the pedals that I was nearly in tears at the effort. Only at the point of waking (just before,
    > just after?) I realized that I could put the bike into a lower gear and simply spin up the hill.
    >
    > Interpretation: there is a personal issue that I am really working hard on, and from time to time
    > it does bring me to tears. Maybe I'm trying to hard -- if I let go a little, maybe it will be
    > easier -- even joyful? -- to deal with.
    >
    > Do you ride your bike in your dreams? What are your bicycle dreams like?

    Nowadays I don't dream about cycling but I often use the images of the last day's ride to
    fall asleep.

    A month ago, I did a ride called the Devil Mountain Double
    <http://www.bbcnet.com/devilmountain/devilmountain.asp>. It was a beautiful yet grueling ride. The
    images from it lasted throughout the day with the same quality of surreal dreams for two weeks
    afterward.

    When I was a child I remember dreaming that I'd be pedaling but not going anywhere, sometimes even
    going backwards, and there would be some kind of danger that I was trying to escape.

    I haven't had that dream in thirty years and I'm surprised I am remembering it now.

  11. Gregr

    Gregr Guest

    On 28 May 2003 17:25:38 -0700, [email protected] (Claire Petersky) wrote:

    >Do you ride your bike in your dreams? What are your bicycle dreams like?

    Last night I dreamt I was a muffler....

    And I woke up exhausted.

    badum bum!

    :)

  12. Barry Gaudet

    Barry Gaudet Guest

    "Claire Petersky" <[email protected]> wrote in message [...]
    : Do you ride your bike in your dreams? What are your bicycle dreams like?

    Great minds think alike... fools seldom differ.

    I had a dream a while ago that puzzled me:

    I was doing a loop to the north [don't ask me how I knew it was to the north - it just was] and
    stopped in a small town similar to actual towns on my northern route but definitely not one of
    them. I was traveling light with only a water bottle, keys, lock and a few dollars in my backpack.
    It's a beautiful spring day and I am in shorts and t-shirt but there is still snow on the ground.

    I lock up the bike and get myself a cuppa coffee. Coming out of the coffee shop only to find
    countless bikes locked up everywhere. I can't find mine. I walk around looking for it in futility.
    It seems like every availlable spot that would allow a bike to be locked it has one. [If anyone is
    a Steven King horror story reader: think of the scene from 'The Dark Half' where there are millions
    of birds covering the countryside]

    I was trapped as I didn't have my bike nor any money for even a phone call.

    Interpretation???

    Beats me.

    Fear of being stranded in one's life?

    Resentment of overcrowding - too many cyclists?

    Anticipating the coming of spring?

    --
    'They paved paradise And put up a parking lot' -Joni Mitchell

  13. Tom Keats

    Tom Keats Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Barry Gaudet <[email protected]> writes:

    > Interpretation???
    >
    > Beats me.
    >
    > Fear of being stranded in one's life?
    >
    > Resentment of overcrowding - too many cyclists?
    >
    > Anticipating the coming of spring?

    I kind of got a sense of separation anxiety from your account. Sort of like a child losing his mom
    in the crowd at a department store.

    cheers, Tom