Bicycle Fenders

crystalcheng

Sep 29, 2015
[SIZE=110%]Hi Peers, an innovative one-size fits all fenders for different bikes is launching soon. It is having a prelaunch campaign and you can sign up for 50% discount when release soon. Leave feedbacks for this design please.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=110%]Sign up here: http://bamboobee.net/mandy-bike-fenders/ [/SIZE]

Attachments

• Mandy Fender 02.jpg
    Mandy Fender 02.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 14
I like how basic these are. There's not much too them but at the same time they do look good.

While I like they way they look I probably wouldn't get them for my bike. I'm more in line to get some black ones, but I can see these appealing to a classic "round town" bike look.

Those are really cute, I love the look of bamboo. I probably wouldn't put them on the road bike I actually use for commuting and long distances, but if I had something fun that I just used to get around locally I could totally see ordering these :) Nothing worse than the skunk stripe you get riding around in muddy weather with no fenders!

Thanks for the tip about the fenders. I hate it that street bikes aren't automatically sold with them. Every bike I've bought new, I've had to add the fenders to it myself and actually, because I am not technically inclined, I get someone to do it for me. These ones look pretty easy to attach though. How difficult is it to put them on? Can they be painted another color or does the bamboo not take to bicycle paint too well? They would look better if they weren't just plain bamboo in color; I'm thinking that they would have a wider appeal if they came in a variety of common bicycle colors, like dark green, blue and red. One last thing, what is the price on these? Before the 50 percent off. And can they be shipped to anywhere or is this a country specific offer?

Do you make them in rattan or wicker? Perhaps a nice tartan wool poly blend or rosewood with a black lacquer finish?

Reactions: Bob Ross
If that is a fender made of bamboo, well, I'd say what a novelty. However, pardon me for saying this but bamboo is not that durable when exposed to elements. Water is the enemy of the bamboo. But in fairness, that bamboo fender may last for a year or 2 on regular use. My advice is to wipe dry the fender every after use so the life will be longer. We have a bamboo grove right beside our house and our stock of bamboo under the elements last only for a year... they crumble.

Reactions: BobCochran
CAMPYBOB said:
Do you make them in rattan or wicker? Perhaps a nice tartan wool poly blend or rosewood with a black lacquer finish?
How about made out of spam?

The fender design shown is rather narrow and looks flimsy. As Corzhens says...the durability seems questionable. Does bamboo swell when wet? Most woods do, and they also split. How will the fender perform when well coated with road spray?

As an unrelated aside, apparently someone in my local area makes -- or made, past tense? -- bamboo bicycles. I emailed the person with an inquiry but never got a response. It might be that the person is quite gifted at frame building but not at email. I do like the looks of a bamboo framed bicycle.

Thanks

Bob

Bamboo? Really - I guess this is going to sound First World arrogant, but bamboo as the raw material for bicycle components seems very desperate - only if it is all you have access to/all you can afford.

Either that or a ploy to market to the eco crazy tree-huggers.

The fenders in the post look seriously flimsy.

"Does bamboo swell when wet?"

Bamboo is swell all the time. Wet or dry...it's swell stuff.

"Most woods do, and they also split."

There's this new miracle stuff called 'Polyurethane'. Available in matte, satin and gloss finish. It will make your bamboo even more swell.

"How will the fender perform when well coated with road spray?"

It will be swell, trust me.

Quote by Volnix:
"Bamboo? Really - I guess this is going to sound First World arrogant, but bamboo as the raw material for bicycle components seems very desperate - only if it is all you have access to/all you can afford."

Ooga. Ooga booga. Ooga ooga booga.
congo.jpg

CAMPYBOB said:
Quote by Volnix:
"Bamboo? Really - I guess this is going to sound First World arrogant, but bamboo as the raw material for bicycle components seems very desperate - only if it is all you have access to/all you can afford."

Ooga. Ooga booga. Ooga ooga booga.
congo.jpg

Stand by for an important announcement from the Volnix Institution for Reduced Humidity on the Road:

"My fellow wet road users. You might have noticed a quote for a post apparently made by Volnix.

This is not a valid Volnix post. The post has been created by another party.

In addition to that, we will start bombing all Bamboo Fender bikes, factories and warehouses in about an hour.

Advice is given for any cyclist totting Bamboo or similar fenders to avoid open areas.

With the love of Cthulu, we will prevail, safe from Fender Bridge Wheel blocks, with non muddy asses, clean jersey backs and easyness of removal in the summer..." :D

Damn! I was thinking of third world countries and Greece came to mind. Apologies to Volnix and to Bob!

I didn't get around to your San Fran hipster CNC milling machine...with tolerances of less than .001" on the radius for a perfect fit. As low as warpage or getting splinters when you wax your bike are not issues.

CAMPYBOB said:
Damn! I was thinking of third world countries and Greece came to mind. Apologies to Volnix and to Bob!

Europa!!! :D

BTW them government cats in Greece are now eyeing bank deposits of Greeks abroad. :D

If you declare them, you get a mint, a thanks postcard and a pair of snap on wallmart fenders for the 18% or something they wanna steal, ehmmm, "tax" you! :D

I've never liked fenders on a bike, even when I was a kid. Perhaps because I first got into bikes during the BMX craze. While a few BMX bikes did have fenders back in the early 80's, they were considered uncool. Most kids would take the fenders off their bikes, and customize them accordingly. I've never owned a bike with any fenders since and don't plan on starting now.

A rear fender on a bike you use for commuting for example can work, as it will stop a lot of the spray from the back wheel, but generally I don't like them.

The bikes I ride now don't have any and its not something I'm that bothered about either to be honest.

I like fenders.
My commuter has both front and rears, with HUGE flaps. The front saves me a ton of driveline wear, as the front no longer aims a rooster spray of road grime onto the chain and chainrings. And keeping he rear means my back stays clean, and is quite appreciated by my riding buddies too.
I even run fenders on my MTBs. The front I can almost ådo without. But once or twice I've managed to launch chunks of mud past my glasses and into my eyes. Not a fun experience.
The rear, well, riding out of saddle in muddy conditions will get your ass spattered. Then when you sit down, you'll rub that into both saddle and tights.
Depending on grain size and length of ride, you may even rub stuff THROUGH your tights and into your skin. Not much fun either.
Compared to that, accidentally resurfacing the saddle will seem like a very minor deal.
But hey, to each his own.
I like fenders.
My commuter has both front and rears, with HUGE flaps. The front saves me a ton of driveline wear, as the front no longer aims a rooster spray of road grime onto the chain and chainrings. And keeping he rear means my back stays clean, and is quite appreciated by my riding buddies too.
I even run fenders on my MTBs. The front I can almost ådo without. But once or twice I've managed to launch chunks of mud past my glasses and into my eyes. Not a fun experience.
The rear, well, riding out of saddle in muddy conditions will get your ass spattered. Then when you sit down, you'll rub that into both saddle and tights.
Depending on grain size and length of ride, you may even rub stuff THROUGH your tights and into your skin. Not much fun either.
Compared to that, accidentally resurfacing the saddle will seem like a very minor deal.
But hey, to each his own.

The real question here is...do your mudflaps have red or green 'jewels'?