bicycle fitting _after_ purchase (SF Bay Area)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jkwon19

Hi all,

I made the mistake of purchasing a road bicycle earlier this year from a LBS which did not involve a
careful fitting of the bicycle (it was basically just a standover test). At the time, I wasn't fully
sure about my commitment to biking and so was more concerned with buying something inexpensive, to
see if I took to the whole road biking thing. Certainly, if I were to do things over again, I would
approach the problem differently, but that's the situation now.

I have enjoyed biking, and am interested in continuing; however, along the way I've had various
bouts of discomfort on the bike, whether it be my seat, my knees, my back or my neck. I've always
been unsure about how well the bike fit to begin with, and have had to make adjustments on my own
without too much guidance. I did ask the bike shop for help at one point, and they did suggest a
shorter stem, which I had installed. The shorter stem did seem to improve things with my back, but
I'm still unsure about the fit as a whole, and am unwilling to just throw more money/parts at the
problem without a better sense of what should be done. This isn't a department store bike, so it's
not that it can't be modified/upgraded, it's that I'm not sure whether the frame is the right size
to begin with.

Is there a shop in the SF Bay Area (preferably South Bay/Peninsula) that would be willing to help
improve my fit on my current bike? Or are those services limited to people purchasing bikes from
those stores in the first place? I'd like for someone to gauge my size and riding style and tell me
how close I am with my current bike--then I could decide whether to invest further on my current
ride or start over. I'd expect there to be some fee involved with the fitting, of course; I was more
concerned about whether a shop would be interested in helping me with a bike not purchased there. Or
do I just chuck it all, cut my losses and buy a new bike from a better LBS?

Thanks,

Jason

>Or do I just chuck it all, cut my losses and buy a new bike from a better LBS?

Well, IMHO it's pretty hard to know what you want in fit without some miles on the bike. Some of
what you've described is the normal process of breaking in (your body, not the bike).

Try the one you've got for a few hundred miles and you may have a better idea of what kind of fit
you prefer. Then try adjusting things based on your experience. Usually it's not too hard to get
things dialed in after a certain amount of trial and error.

Most people do fine within the adjustment ranges on a standard sized frame appropriate for their
height, experiment with one variable at a time.

--

_______________________ALL AMIGA IN MY MIND_______________________ ------------------"Buddy Holly,
the Texas Elvis"------------------
__________306.350.357.38>>[email protected]__________

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 19:09:39 +0000, jkwon1 wrote:

> Is there a shop in the SF Bay Area (preferably South Bay/Peninsula) that would be willing to help
> improve my fit on my current bike? Or are those services limited to people purchasing bikes from
> those stores in the first place?

Many shops will provide the fit gratis if you buy from them. But most will provide it at a cost if
you don't -- maybe with a rebate if you decide to buy a bike from them later on. It's not that
expensive, and it sounds like something you should do. At least ask around at some of the better
shops. Hopefully someone living in the area can recommend one. The one I went to way back when
(Cupertino Bike Shop) is no longer in business.

I went through a long period of fiddling, adjusting, buying parts, etc., before I knew really what I
needed. This is a better way.

I'd like for someone to gauge my size and riding style and tell me
> how close I am with my current bike--then I could decide whether to invest further on my current
> ride or start over.

For what it's worth, you can find websites that allow you to enter your measurements, and it will
spit out recommendations. This is not the same as a professional fitting, but it beats standing over
the bar. That might indicate whether or not you need a whole new bike.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig... You _`\(,_ | soon find out the
pig likes it! (_)/ (_) |

>I went through a long period of fiddling, adjusting, buying parts, etc., before I knew really what
>I needed. This is a better way.

As he develops physical fitness his needs will change. This is why it is better to explore the
potential of the existing platform rather than toss it out of hand, IMHO.

--

_______________________ALL AMIGA IN MY MIND_______________________ ------------------"Buddy Holly,
the Texas Elvis"------------------
__________306.350.357.38>>[email protected]__________

Jason wrote:
> I have enjoyed biking, and am interested in continuing; however, along the way I've had various
> bouts of discomfort on the bike, whether it be my seat, my knees, my back or my neck. I've always
> been unsure about how well the bike fit to begin with, and have had to make adjustments on my own
> without too much guidance. I did ask the bike shop for help at one point, and they did suggest a
> shorter stem, which I had installed. The shorter stem did seem to improve things ...

> This isn't a department store bike, so it's not that it can't be modified/upgraded, it's that I'm
> not sure whether the frame is the right size to begin with.

If the frame dimensions are within a cm or so of your ideal, it should be possible to get a
comfortable fit by making various adjustments and perhaps replacing a stem. If you went to three
different shops, they'd probably recommend three different sizes for you anyway based on their own
idea of proper fit.

First you should try to figure if your bike is close enough in size to be salvaged. If it is, you
have to figure out what needs adjusting.

How many miles have you ridden on this bike? If you're a new road rider, it will take some time to
become acclimated. The more you ride the more comfortable you will become, and you will be better
able to pinpoint areas that need adjustment. For example, pain in the front of the knee may be due
to a too low saddle (or just pushing too big a gear). Back/neck pain may be due to the bars being
too low (or just lack of miles).

Visiting an LBS is a good idea, but the more riding you have under your belt, the more you will be
able understand what you really want.

Basic bike setup involves adjusting the saddle first (height, fore/aft, tilt) and then the
handlebars (height, reach, tilt). See:

http://www.sbraweb.org/setup.htm

Do you still feel too stretched out? Do the bars seem to low? Is the seat level? Try to get the
fit as comfortable as possible, and get in some miles. Then visit an LBS and have a dialog with a
good fitter.

Art Harris

> Basic bike setup involves adjusting the saddle first (height, fore/aft, tilt) and then the
> handlebars (height, reach, tilt). See:
>
> http://www.sbraweb.org/setup.htm
>
> Do you still feel too stretched out? Do the bars seem to low? Is the seat level? Try to get the
> fit as comfortable as possible, and get in some
miles.
> Then visit an LBS and have a dialog with a good fitter.
>
> Art Harris

I got a laugh out of the description on your web site saying that handlebar adjustments are due to
"old wives tales." When was the last time you heard any old wives sitting around discussing bicycle
handlebar adjustments?

Pat in TX

[email protected] at [email protected] wrote on 11/20/03 7:09 PM:
> Is there a shop in the SF Bay Area (preferably South Bay/Peninsula) that would be willing to help
> improve my fit on my current bike? Or are those services limited to people purchasing bikes from
> those stores in the first place? I'd like for someone to gauge my size and riding style and tell
> me how close I am with my current bike--then I could decide whether to invest further on my
> current ride or start over. I'd expect there to be some fee involved with the fitting, of course;
> I was more concerned about whether a shop would be interested in helping me with a bike not
> purchased there. Or do I just chuck it all, cut my losses and buy a new bike from a better LBS?

Impossible to say without seeing your fit and position, which is why it's not a bad idea to have
someone knowledgeable check it.

I've seen some excellent fittings come from Tony at Bicycle Odyssey in Sausalito. He does charge for
separate position/fittings. Give them a call.

http://www.bicycleodyssey.com/

You might also post to ba.bicycles for more area-specific feedback.

Hope that helps,

-- Jim

[email protected] wrote in news:[email protected]:

> Hi all,
>
> I made the mistake of purchasing a road bicycle earlier this year from a LBS which did not involve
> a careful fitting of the bicycle (it was basically just a standover test). At the time, I wasn't
> fully sure about my commitment to biking and so was more concerned with buying something
> inexpensive, to see if I took to the whole road biking thing. Certainly, if I were to do things
> over again, I would approach the problem differently, but that's the situation now.
>
> I have enjoyed biking, and am interested in continuing; however, along the way I've had various
> bouts of discomfort on the bike, whether it be my seat, my knees, my back or my neck. I've always
> been unsure about how well the bike fit to begin with, and have had to make adjustments on my own
> without too much guidance. I did ask the bike shop for help at one point, and they did suggest a
> shorter stem, which I had installed. The shorter stem did seem to improve things with my back, but
> I'm still unsure about the fit as a whole, and am unwilling to just throw more money/parts at the
> problem without a better sense of what should be done. This isn't a department store bike, so it's
> not that it can't be modified/upgraded, it's that I'm not sure whether the frame is the right size
> to begin with.
>
> those stores in the first place? I'd like for someone to gauge my size and riding style and tell
> me how close I am with my current bike--then I could decide whether to invest further on my
> current ride or start over. I'd expect there to be some fee involved with the fitting, of course;
> I was more concerned about whether a shop would be interested in helping me with a bike not
> purchased there. Or do I just chuck it all, cut my losses and buy a new bike from a better LBS?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jason

I've cross-posted this to ba.bicycles to get some local input. Here's a list of places you might
want to check out: http://www.paloaltolive.com/shop-sporting.html#Bicycles

[email protected] wrote:
> improve my fit on my current bike?

Jason:

About 10 years ago I had Terry Shaw at Shaw's Lightweight Cycles (www.shawcycles.com) fit me on a
bike I had bought elsewhere. I found his advice well worth the money spent. Call him up and make an
appointment.

--
Bill Bushnell

david moore <[email protected]> writes:
>> I made the mistake of purchasing a road bicycle earlier this year from a LBS which did not
>> involve a careful fitting of the bicycle (it was basically just a standover test).
>
> I've cross-posted this to ba.bicycles to get some local input.

Tony Tom at A Bicycle Odyssey in Sausalito, CA is the master of bike fit. Make an appointment with
him and get him to fit you. I've sent several friends of mine to him for custom fittings both before
and after buying a bicycle. He's the best. I ordered a custom Landshark for my wife based on his
numbers and it fits her perfectly.

(Tell him Morgan sent you.)

http://www.bicycleodyssey.com/

Morgan Fletcher Oakland, CA

"Arthur Harris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>... [...]
> How many miles have you ridden on this bike? If you're a new road rider, it will take some time to
> become acclimated. The more you ride the more comfortable you will become, and you will be better
> able to pinpoint areas that need adjustment.

First, thanks to everyone for the replies. I've got a little over 500 miles on my bike at this
point. From the start I assumed there would have to be some acclimatization to the riding
position/style, but if my discomfort were purely due to fitness, I would've hoped at least some of
these problems would have been solved by now.

I've tried some of those online measurement calculators, but have been wary of the results, mostly
because I was never sure I was quite measuring myself properly. And getting, say, three different
opinions from three different websites, might not put me in a much more informed position. I've got
some ideas of my own of what I _think_ works, but I would appreciate the opportunity to bounce these
thoughts off a fitter.

I guess I'll try calling a few local places. A Bicycle Odyssey is a little far (Mike's Bikes is a
lot closer) but hopefully I can find something around here.

Thanks,

Jason

All,

btw, Cupertino Bike Shop is alive and well. And probably happy to help w/ a fit.

www.cupertinobike.com

REgards, Chas.

"David L. Johnson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 19:09:39 +0000, jkwon1 wrote:
>
> > Is there a shop in the SF Bay Area (preferably South Bay/Peninsula) that would be willing to
> > help improve my fit on my current bike? Or are those services limited to people purchasing bikes
> > from those stores in the first place?
>
> Many shops will provide the fit gratis if you buy from them. But most will provide it at a cost if
> you don't -- maybe with a rebate if you decide to buy a bike from them later on. It's not that
> expensive, and it sounds like something you should do. At least ask around at some of the better
> shops. Hopefully someone living in the area can recommend one. The one I went to way back when
> (Cupertino Bike Shop) is no longer in business.
>
> I went through a long period of fiddling, adjusting, buying parts, etc., before I knew really what
> I needed. This is a better way.
>
> I'd like for someone to gauge my size and riding style and tell me
> > how close I am with my current bike--then I could decide whether to invest further on my current
> > ride or start over.
>
> For what it's worth, you can find websites that allow you to enter your measurements, and it will
> spit out recommendations. This is not the same as a professional fitting, but it beats standing
> over the bar. That might indicate whether or not you need a whole new bike.

A few questions-

#1: How tall are you?
#2: What's the distance from the center of the bottom bracket to the top of
the saddle?
#3: Distance from ground to top of saddle?
#4: Distance from ground to top of handlebar?
#5: Type of bike (brand & model) & size?

With that information I can get a rough idea of what's going on.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

<[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "Arthur Harris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> [...]
> > How many miles have you ridden on this bike? If you're a new road rider,
it
> > will take some time to become acclimated. The more you ride the more comfortable you will
> > become, and you will be better able to pinpoint
areas
> > that need adjustment.
>
> First, thanks to everyone for the replies. I've got a little over 500 miles on my bike at this
> point. From the start I assumed there would have to be some acclimatization to the riding
> position/style, but if my discomfort were purely due to fitness, I would've hoped at least some of
> these problems would have been solved by now.
>
> I've tried some of those online measurement calculators, but have been wary of the results, mostly
> because I was never sure I was quite measuring myself properly. And getting, say, three different
> opinions from three different websites, might not put me in a much more informed position. I've
> got some ideas of my own of what I _think_ works, but I would appreciate the opportunity to bounce
> these thoughts off a fitter.
>
> I guess I'll try calling a few local places. A Bicycle Odyssey is a little far (Mike's Bikes is a
> lot closer) but hopefully I can find something around here.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jason

Hello Mike,

Thanks for offering to help. I took the measurements as best I could, here's what I got.

"Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> A few questions-
>
> #1: How tall are you?

5 ft 8 inches

> #2: What's the distance from the center of the bottom bracket to the top of
> the saddle?

28 inches

> #3: Distance from ground to top of saddle?

37.75 inches

> #4: Distance from ground to top of handlebar?

36 inches

> #5: Type of bike (brand & model) & size?

2003 Giant OCR 3. Frame size M (medium -- I didn't know any better at the time about discrete frame
sizes and this S/M/L paradigm). As I alluded to earlier, I swapped out the original adjustable stem
for a fixed shorter length (100mm) one.

Thanks again,

Jason

Jason wrote:
> >
> > #1: How tall are you?
>
> 5 ft 8 inches
>
> > #2: What's the distance from the center of the bottom bracket to the
top of
> > the saddle?
>
> 28 inches
>
> > #3: Distance from ground to top of saddle?
>
> 37.75 inches
>
> > #4: Distance from ground to top of handlebar?
>
> 36 inches
>
> > #5: Type of bike (brand & model) & size?
>
> 2003 Giant OCR 3. Frame size M (medium -- I didn't know any better at the time about discrete
> frame sizes and this S/M/L paradigm). As I alluded to earlier, I swapped out the original
> adjustable stem for a fixed shorter length (100mm) one.

One missing data point is your inseam (measured from floor to crotch). But what you've provided
sounds pretty reasonable. The 1-3/4" drop from the saddle to the bars (while in the "normal" range)
could be the source of your neck/back pain. Are there any spacers above your stem that could be
moved below (to get the bars higher)? Again, hard to analyze without seeing you on the bike.

Art Harris

> 2003 Giant OCR 3. Frame size M (medium -- I didn't know any better at the time about discrete
> frame sizes and this S/M/L paradigm). As I alluded to earlier, I swapped out the original
>
I'll try to mock something up in the shop on Monday to get an idea of what your bike sorta looks
like. Art's thinking there's possibly too much stem drop, and he could be right (there are those who
need to have the stem nearly level with the saddle). I'm also wondering about that newly-shortened
100mm stem. The trouble for me, though, is that the TCR concept (people fitting S/M/L sizing) is
something I have difficulty with, and you're probably best finding a dealer who's really good at
fitting people *and* sells Giant. My guess is that, if you go anyplace else, you'll simply get
someone telling you that you can't fit correctly to that sort of bike, because they're designed
screwy. You need to get past that to try and get the best-possible fit on that particular bike.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

<[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hello Mike,
>
> Thanks for offering to help. I took the measurements as best I could, here's what I got.
>
> "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > A few questions-
> >
> > #1: How tall are you?
>
> 5 ft 8 inches
>
> > #2: What's the distance from the center of the bottom bracket to the
top of
> > the saddle?
>
> 28 inches
>
> > #3: Distance from ground to top of saddle?
>
> 37.75 inches
>
> > #4: Distance from ground to top of handlebar?
>
> 36 inches
>
> > #5: Type of bike (brand & model) & size?
>
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Jason

In your neck of the woods, Shaw's Lightweight Cycles is about the only place I know where you'll
always get good advice. They're in Santa Clara.

Call first. Shaw's has been there for over 30 years, but at this time they're a busy 2-person
operation without a sign.

- Jeff

"david moore" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] wrote in news:[email protected]:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I made the mistake of purchasing a road bicycle earlier this year from a LBS which did not
> > involve a careful fitting of the bicycle (it was basically just a standover test). At the time,
> > I wasn't fully sure about my commitment to biking and so was more concerned with buying
> > something inexpensive, to see if I took to the whole road biking thing. Certainly, if I were to
> > do things over again, I would approach the problem differently, but that's the situation now.
> >
> > I have enjoyed biking, and am interested in continuing; however, along the way I've had various
> > bouts of discomfort on the bike, whether it be my seat, my knees, my back or my neck. I've
> > always been unsure about how well the bike fit to begin with, and have had to make adjustments
> > on my own without too much guidance. I did ask the bike shop for help at one point, and they did
> > suggest a shorter stem, which I had installed. The shorter stem did seem to improve things with
> > my back, but I'm still unsure about the fit as a whole, and am unwilling to just throw more
> > money/parts at the problem without a better sense of what should be done. This isn't a
> > department store bike, so it's not that it can't be modified/upgraded, it's that I'm not sure
> > whether the frame is the right size to begin with.
> >
> > Is there a shop in the SF Bay Area (preferably South Bay/Peninsula) that would be willing to
> > help improve my fit on my current bike? Or are those services limited to people purchasing
> > bikes from those stores in the first place? I'd like for someone to gauge my size and riding
> > style and tell me how close I am with my current bike--then I could decide whether to invest
> > further on my current ride or start over. I'd expect there to be some fee involved with the
> > fitting, of course; I was more concerned about whether a shop would be interested in helping me
> > with a bike not purchased there. Or do I just chuck it all, cut my losses and buy a new bike
> > from a better LBS?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Jason
>
> I've cross-posted this to ba.bicycles to get some local input. Here's a list of places you might
> want to check out: http://www.paloaltolive.com/shop-sporting.html#Bicycles

In article <[email protected]>, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> > 2003 Giant OCR 3. Frame size M (medium -- I didn't know any better at the time about discrete
> > frame sizes and this S/M/L paradigm). As I alluded to earlier, I swapped out the original
> > adjustable stem for a fixed shorter length (100mm) one.
> >
> I'll try to mock something up in the shop on Monday to get an idea of what your bike sorta looks
> like. Art's thinking there's possibly too much stem drop, and he could be right (there are those
> who need to have the stem nearly level with the saddle). I'm also wondering about that
> newly-shortened 100mm stem. The trouble for me, though, is that the TCR concept (people fitting
> S/M/L sizing) is something I have difficulty with, and you're probably best finding a dealer
> who's really good at fitting people *and* sells Giant. My guess is that, if you go anyplace else,
> you'll simply get someone telling you that you can't fit correctly to that sort of bike, because
> they're designed screwy. You need to get past that to try and get the best-possible fit on that
> particular bike.
>
> --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

A diplomatic answer, considering that you're in the Bay Area and are probably real good at
fitting bikes...

Arguably the best:

http://www.pkracing.com/

Not the cheapest, certainly, but on a per-hour basis, competitive with the shops. Chris spends a lot
of time with measurements, flexibility analysis, Computrainer, etc. Folks are willing to shell out
the $k's for the latest and greatest gram-shaving components. $200 or whatever to get a dialed-in
position is a bargain in comparison.

Dan

I'll 2nd Terry Shaw of Shaw's Lightweight Cycles. Saw him last week, now's a good time to get
fitted, his shop wasn't as crowded as in the spring and summer. -tom

"Jeff Schweninger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In your neck of the woods, Shaw's Lightweight Cycles is about the only
place
> I know where you'll always get good advice. They're in Santa Clara.
>
> Call first. Shaw's has been there for over 30 years, but at this time they're a busy 2-person
> operation without a sign.
>
> - Jeff
>
>
> "david moore" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > [email protected] wrote in news:[email protected]:
> >
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I made the mistake of purchasing a road bicycle earlier this year from a LBS which did not
> > > involve a careful fitting of the bicycle (it was basically just a standover test). At the
> > > time, I wasn't fully sure about my commitment to biking and so was more concerned with buying
> > > something inexpensive, to see if I took to the whole road biking thing. Certainly, if I were
> > > to do things over again, I would approach the problem differently, but that's the situation
> > > now.
> > >
> > > I have enjoyed biking, and am interested in continuing; however, along the way I've had
> > > various bouts of discomfort on the bike, whether it be my seat, my knees, my back or my neck.
> > > I've always been unsure about how well the bike fit to begin with, and have had to make
> > > adjustments on my own without too much guidance. I did ask the bike shop for help at one
> > > point, and they did suggest a shorter stem, which I had installed. The shorter stem did seem
> > > to improve things with my back, but I'm still unsure about the fit as a whole, and am
> > > unwilling to just throw more money/parts at the problem without a better sense of what should
> > > be done. This isn't a department store bike, so it's not that it can't be modified/upgraded,
> > > it's that I'm not sure whether the frame is the right size to begin with.
> > >
> > > Is there a shop in the SF Bay Area (preferably South Bay/Peninsula) that would be willing to
> > > help improve my fit on my current bike? Or are those services limited to people purchasing
> > > bikes from those stores in the first place? I'd like for someone to gauge my size and riding
> > > style and tell me how close I am with my current bike--then I could decide whether to invest
> > > further on my current ride or start over. I'd expect there to be some fee involved with the
> > > fitting, of course; I was more concerned about whether a shop would be interested in helping
> > > me with a bike not purchased there. Or do I just chuck it all, cut my losses and buy a new
> > > bike from a better LBS?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Jason
> >
> > I've cross-posted this to ba.bicycles to get some local input. Here's a list of places you might
> > want to check out: http://www.paloaltolive.com/shop-sporting.html#Bicycles
> >
> >
>

Status
Not open for further replies.