bicycle for commuting in Las Vegas

rhawkins

Guest
I'm looking at picking up a bicycle to commute on in Las Vegas a couple
of times a week. It's just under twelve miles each way, but I can also
be dropped off to do just the return trip.

The roads themselves are generally excellent, though the drivers are
horrible, showing the wretched habbits of the entire country. For the
most part, I have routes where I can minimize vehicle traffic. Anyway,
I'm dealing with good pavement the entire way that is suitable for narrow
tires. I'll have a single underpass and single extended above ground
ramp if I take Desert Inn, and pretty much flat (very gradual incline in
the morning) otherwise.

There is a 1984 Schwinn Le Toure Lux outside, although putting new, oh,
everything on it doesn't seem practical (non-leverage center pull brakes,
non-indexed gears, bent metal on the fork that holds the axle, and so
forth). I'm assuming that my best bet is the modern equivalent of a
touring bike such as it.

But what is that?

I'm resigned to shelling out $700-$1000.

Until two years ago, I spent 11 years with a two-mile bicycle commute
each way. Bringing children with me ended that when I came home :) --the
last time I regularly commuted this far, this was net.bicycle . . .

I'm assuming a speedometer/odometer/etc. Is a generator practical, or
should I stick to battery operated lights (I remember that the old
generator was a nighmare).

How do I watch for sales? We have most major chains of sporting goods
stores, a few small bike shops, and an REI (their people have seen to
know the most when I've asked other questions).

hawk, diving back in

--

On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 22:21:18 -0000, rhawkins <[email protected]>
wrote, in part:

>I'm assuming a speedometer/odometer/etc. Is a generator practical, or
>should I stick to battery operated lights (I remember that the old
>generator was a nighmare).

New generators have less drag. They still make noise and can slip in
the rain. It's still critical they're adjusted properly.

Hub generators can be more expensive but give you more reliable
vehicular lighting, silently and with less drag.

A common battery powered white LED light that operates in blink mode
makes an excellent stand light or emergency flashlight.

A cyclo-puter can be fun for a while. It is a distraction and can
lead to unsafe riding if you're trying to beat your personal-best
along a FMUP or in traffic.
--
zk

On Oct 6, 4:15 pm, Zoot Katz <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 22:21:18 -0000, rhawkins <[email protected]>
> wrote, in part:
>
> >I'm assuming a speedometer/odometer/etc. Is a generator practical, or
> >should I stick to battery operated lights (I remember that the old
> >generator was a nighmare).

> New generators have less drag. They still make noise and can slip in
> the rain. It's still critical they're adjusted properly.
>
> Hub generators can be more expensive but give you more reliable
> vehicular lighting, silently and with less drag.
>
> A common battery powered white LED light that operates in blink mode
> makes an excellent stand light or emergency flashlight.
>
> A cyclo-puter can be fun for a while. It is a distraction and can
> lead to unsafe riding if you're trying to beat your personal-best
> along a FMUP or in traffic.
> --
> zk

Have you tried looking on craigslist? There are usually a lot of bikes
there for sale by people who want to get rid of them and cannot be
bothered to pack it for shipping.

If you look every day something good comes up eventually. I have seen
some great bikes for sale for very reasonable prices.

Make sure you have enough left over for good reflective clothing.

In article <[email protected]>,
rhawkins <[email protected]> wrote:

> I'm looking at picking up a bicycle to commute on in Las Vegas a couple
> of times a week. It's just under twelve miles each way, but I can also
> be dropped off to do just the return trip.
>
> The roads themselves are generally excellent, though the drivers are
> horrible, showing the wretched habbits of the entire country. For the
> most part, I have routes where I can minimize vehicle traffic. Anyway,
> I'm dealing with good pavement the entire way that is suitable for narrow
> tires. I'll have a single underpass and single extended above ground
> ramp if I take Desert Inn, and pretty much flat (very gradual incline in
> the morning) otherwise.
>
> There is a 1984 Schwinn Le Toure Lux outside, although putting new, oh,
> everything on it doesn't seem practical (non-leverage center pull brakes,
> non-indexed gears, bent metal on the fork that holds the axle, and so
> forth). I'm assuming that my best bet is the modern equivalent of a
> touring bike such as it.
>
> But what is that?
>
> I'm resigned to shelling out $700-$1000.
>
> Until two years ago, I spent 11 years with a two-mile bicycle commute
> each way. Bringing children with me ended that when I came home :) --the
> last time I regularly commuted this far, this was net.bicycle . . .
>
> I'm assuming a speedometer/odometer/etc. Is a generator practical, or
> should I stick to battery operated lights (I remember that the old
> generator was a nighmare).
>
> How do I watch for sales? We have most major chains of sporting goods
> stores, a few small bike shops, and an REI (their people have seen to
> know the most when I've asked other questions).
>
> hawk, diving back in
>
> --

12 km flat ride? I'm worried about the bent fork that holds the axle,
but otherwise that Schwinn offers no problems for a 12 km flat commute.

Resign yourself to the following repairs: new brake pads, new tires,
frame tweak to fix the bent fork, and if you're feeling self-indulgent,
a new freewheel for the rear, since the new ones include Hyperglide-type
gating, and that makes a big difference to shifting even on a
non-indexed bike (smoother and more positive).

Here's the thing: a bike shop will charge you at most, a couple hundred
for that sort of tune-up, and probably less. If you can find a
ready-to-ride bike on Craigslist for less, then go that way.

Oh, and unless your roads are so dark that you need lights you can see
by, just start with $20 worth of LED lights.

Be happy. Upgrade after a year, if you like.

Note that I ride a lot, have a race bike and a dedicated cyclocross
bike, but my commuter is an early-80s Miyata 210, basically a competitor
to your Schwinn Le Tour. It's superb.

rhawkins wrote:
> I'm looking at picking up a bicycle to commute on in Las Vegas a couple
> of times a week. It's just under twelve miles each way, but I can also
> be dropped off to do just the return trip.
>
> The roads themselves are generally excellent, though the drivers are
> horrible, showing the wretched habbits of the entire country. For the
> most part, I have routes where I can minimize vehicle traffic. Anyway,
> I'm dealing with good pavement the entire way that is suitable for narrow
> tires. I'll have a single underpass and single extended above ground
> ramp if I take Desert Inn, and pretty much flat (very gradual incline in
> the morning) otherwise.
>
> There is a 1984 Schwinn Le Toure Lux outside, although putting new, oh,
> everything on it doesn't seem practical (non-leverage center pull brakes,
> non-indexed gears, bent metal on the fork that holds the axle, and so
> forth). I'm assuming that my best bet is the modern equivalent of a
> touring bike such as it.

If the brakes are functional, just put in new pads. Nothing wrong with
non-indexed gears ( I've got friction shifting on 3 of my 4 bikes, and
all of them cost more than your $700-$1000 budget). The chain will quite
likely be worn and starting to skip on a bike that old, and the chain
rings and free-wheel cogs might be worn, but those can be replaced. Is
just the dropout bent, or the entire fork? Steel dropouts can be bent
back into shape, forks can be straightened, or you can buy a new fork.

> But what is that?
>
> I'm resigned to shelling out $700-$1000.

If you spend $500 on the Schwinn and fix it yourself, you'll have a
whole lot nicer bike than anything you could buy for $700, and it'll be
a whole lot nicer commuting bike.

> Until two years ago, I spent 11 years with a two-mile bicycle commute
> each way. Bringing children with me ended that when I came home :) --the
> last time I regularly commuted this far, this was net.bicycle . . .
>
> I'm assuming a speedometer/odometer/etc. Is a generator practical, or
> should I stick to battery operated lights (I remember that the old
> generator was a nighmare).

Speedometer/odometer is nice for training and logging your workouts, but
hardly a necessity for commuting. Hub generators are great, but a good
one(Shimano 3N-71) is $90 plus the cost of the rim, spokes and
wheelbuilding and a light. Bottle generators have gotten better, but
they still have to be adjusted where they hit the tire, and they still
have a fair bit of drag when they're running. Battery powered LED lights
have gotten awfully good, they're especially useful if you just want to
be seen on streets with lighting. The Cateye TL-1100 and Planet Bike
Superflash are really good LED taillights with blinking and steady beam
modes. The Cateye EL-530 is reportedly a really good headlight to be
seen with. All of these run on AA or AAA batteries, get a charger and a
stack of rechargeable NiMH batteries at Wal-Mart and you're in business.
If you want high powered headlights for unlit roads that can get very
expensive. DOT tape (the stuff they put on trucks and trailers) from an
auto parts store or from http://www.identi-tape.com/
can be cut up and stuck on your bike to make it more visible in car
headlights.

> How do I watch for sales? We have most major chains of sporting goods
> stores, a few small bike shops, and an REI (their people have seen to
> know the most when I've asked other questions).

REI has a sale going on right now. Pay the membership, get on their
e-mail list, and get their Visa card. Between the dividend and the Visa
rebate REI can be a good place to save a few bucks. If the local REI
doesn't have something in the store, they've got an excellent online
mail-order operation.

HTH,

mark

On Oct 7, 12:50 pm, mark <[email protected]> wrote:
> rhawkins wrote:
> > I'm looking at picking up a bicycle to commute on in Las Vegas a couple
> > of times a week. It's just under twelve miles each way, but I can also
> > be dropped off to do just the return trip.

> > The roads themselves are generally excellent, though the drivers are
> > horrible, showing the wretched habbits of the entire country. For the
> > most part, I have routes where I can minimize vehicle traffic. Anyway,
> > I'm dealing with good pavement the entire way that is suitable for narrow
> > tires. I'll have a single underpass and single extended above ground
> > ramp if I take Desert Inn, and pretty much flat (very gradual incline in
> > the morning) otherwise.

> > There is a 1984 Schwinn Le Toure Lux outside, although putting new, oh,
> > everything on it doesn't seem practical (non-leverage center pull brakes,
> > non-indexed gears, bent metal on the fork that holds the axle, and so
> > forth). I'm assuming that my best bet is the modern equivalent of a
> > touring bike such as it.

> If the brakes are functional, just put in new pads. Nothing wrong with
> non-indexed gears ( I've got friction shifting on 3 of my 4 bikes, and
> all of them cost more than your $700-$1000 budget). The chain will quite
> likely be worn and starting to skip on a bike that old, and the chain
> rings and free-wheel cogs might be worn, but those can be replaced. Is
> just the dropout bent, or the entire fork? Steel dropouts can be bent
> back into shape, forks can be straightened, or you can buy a new fork.
>

> > But what is that?

> > I'm resigned to shelling out $700-$1000.

> If you spend $500 on the Schwinn and fix it yourself, you'll have a
> whole lot nicer bike than anything you could buy for $700, and it'll be
> a whole lot nicer commuting bike.

Uh, no. A new Schwinn "Le Tour", admittedly sportier is only $580:

http://bicyclesource.us/itemdetails.cfm?ID=13973

Shoot, I spent $500 for my last city bike, a brand new Kona, and that
includes front and rear racks, upgraded rear mech, fenders, and MKS
touring pedals. Granted, the fenders and lights came from my magic
bucket--but they're not that expensive, especially basic blinkies.

There are tons and tons of great bikes for under $500, if you take the
time to dial them in. I'm also fixer upper of old bikes--but sometimes
it's nice to start with a clean slate, parts, and shiny paint.

If the old bike didn't have a hosed fork and so many other needs--
sure, it'd be a fun project, but I certainly wouldn't throw money at
it unless it had sentimental value.

"rhawkins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> There is a 1984 Schwinn Le Toure Lux outside, although putting new, oh,
> everything on it doesn't seem practical (non-leverage center pull brakes,
> non-indexed gears, bent metal on the fork that holds the axle, and so
> forth). I'm assuming that my best bet is the modern equivalent of a
> touring bike such as it.

I would agree with you. Everyone here is saying, just fix it up, or get
something off of Craig's List. No, don't. Get yourself a new bike, and enjoy
riding it.

> But what is that?
>
> I'm resigned to shelling out $700-$1000.

Maybe total, for the bike and all your accessories. Just the bike, I think
you could do for $500 - $600 without sacrificing a lot.

> I'm assuming a speedometer/odometer/etc.

They're OK, not necessary. I have forgotten to move the magnet from my
summer wheel over to my winter one, and I appear to be surviving not knowing
how fast/far I'm going. Eventually I'll make the switch.

You'll probably want a rack, since you don't want to carry your stuff on
your back and get your back all sweaty. Then a trunk or panniers to hold
your stuff. You'll be carrying at least your lunch and your wallet and then
all the little bike things (spare tire, mini pump, tire irons, multitool,
maybe a mini first aid kit and spare sun screen). If you're carrying clothes
back and forth, you're more likely to need a bigger carrying case. Ditto if
you have to haul something like a laptop frequently.

Having fenders in Las Vegas is less important than it is here in Seattle -
when it rains, it rains *hard*, and you probably won't be riding or get
soaked instantly anyway. You'll want some gloves. I recommend power grips
for the pedals. A couple of pairs of bike shorts.

> Is a generator practical, or
> should I stick to battery operated lights (I remember that the old
> generator was a nighmare).

If you're riding DI - that street is pretty well lit. I think you could get
away with an LED light or two as "see-me"s in the front, and a blinkie in
the rear. You won't need a light to see in front of you, I'd think.

> How do I watch for sales? We have most major chains of sporting goods
> stores, a few small bike shops, and an REI (their people have seen to
> know the most when I've asked other questions).

In most parts of the country, now is a good time to buy, except in Las Vegas
the riding season's inverted, so maybe not. Still, I would imagine the shops
are looking to clear the sales floor for the new models that will be coming
in, before the Xmas rush starts.

REI is having a big sale right now, and I think it'd be worthwhile to run
down there and see what they have, especially since you report that your
local store has decent service. Unlike LBSs which often specialize to
mountain bikes or fancy road bikes, REI carries a fair number of bikes that
lend themselves to commuting, and their house brand of Novarra isn't bad.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/

"Claire Petersky" --do you use a rain cape? If so, how do you like it?

Pat in TX

>> "Claire Petersky" --do you use a rain cape? If so, how do you like it?
>
> Fie on rain capes -- I tried it once, and it was like a big sail coming
> down hills, and my ride to/from work is nothing but hills.
>
> Just a good solid rain coat with armpit vents is good enough for me.
>
> --
> Warm Regards,
>
> Claire Petersky

Thanks for your input.