bicycle for horses

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Dennis Farr, Jun 21, 2004.

  1. Dennis Farr

    Dennis Farr Guest

    200 years ago horses operated stationary treadmills for powering
    machines. They also had these on ferry boats.

    I'd like to see how fast and far a horse treadmill on wheels could go.
    I think a good goal for a horse and driver would be 100 fairly flat
    miles at 35 mph, faster than Lance Armstrong or Smarty Jones.

    This could even be practical for people in poor areas who rely on
    animal power, although I don't know if even I believe I'd ever see a
    water buffalo on wheels.

    I don't have any resources (or horses) so I'd just like to spread the
    idea and see if someone figures out a way to do it.

    Many years ago I built a working self-powered table saw from an old
    ten-speed. then I found out these things were common just before the
    invention of cheap electric motors. So I think we need to give horses
    a chance to ride, and see what happens. Gas would probably have to be
    about $100/gal to make this practical here, but who says something has
    to be practical to be interesting.

    Dennis Farr

    Tags:

  2. Wow, thats the strangest thing ever.
    What happens if the horse gets in an accident going 100MPH? or would the
    horse be providing purely the house power with a human steering it?

    I agree though, it is a strange experiment. Having a horses power "geared"
    as to provide a more convenient speed for today's go-getter people.

    Good work on the self powered saw by the way... more things should require
    pedalling to operate. Maybe north americans would be a bit less fat if that
    were the case. It's also funny thinking about the simple things that could
    be human powered that aren't, instead people plug shit in.. then drive over
    the gym and sweat to the oldies on the stationary bike for 40 minutes.

    I've always wanted to have a house with the whole bottom floor a gym. Then
    all the treadmills and excercise bikes and stuff could power stuff in my
    house. People would also be paying a membership to power my house.. so I'd
    have cash!

    --
    Mike Beauchamp
    http://www.therevox.com - custom electro-theremins and stuff.

    "Dennis Farr" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > 200 years ago horses operated stationary treadmills for powering
    > machines. They also had these on ferry boats.
    >
    > I'd like to see how fast and far a horse treadmill on wheels could go.
    > I think a good goal for a horse and driver would be 100 fairly flat
    > miles at 35 mph, faster than Lance Armstrong or Smarty Jones.
    >
    > This could even be practical for people in poor areas who rely on
    > animal power, although I don't know if even I believe I'd ever see a
    > water buffalo on wheels.
    >
    > I don't have any resources (or horses) so I'd just like to spread the
    > idea and see if someone figures out a way to do it.
    >
    > Many years ago I built a working self-powered table saw from an old
    > ten-speed. then I found out these things were common just before the
    > invention of cheap electric motors. So I think we need to give horses
    > a chance to ride, and see what happens. Gas would probably have to be
    > about $100/gal to make this practical here, but who says something has
    > to be practical to be interesting.
    >
    > Dennis Farr

  3. Jochen

    Jochen Guest